Wait for a certain color vehicle?

kdaigle

Earning My Ears
Hey y'all! I have a 3 year old that will uh... lose his mind sometimes when he doesn't get a certain color ride. I know this is embarrassing, troublesome, and we've tried a million ways to deal with this but it usually results in him crying and screaming while I have to carry him away having not ridden the ride.

Is it reasonable and possible to tell the cast member we'd like to wait for a particular color vehicle? The only time I *know* this will happen is Tomorrowland Motorspeedway but I'm nervous about other times. :guilty:

I would prepare him while in line that he won’t get to pick the color. Instead make a guessing game of which color you will get. We started this when my kids were toddlers and they still do this now as teenagers. Tell him up front, we won’t ride if you act like this.

Instead make a guessing game of which color you will get. We started this when my kids were toddlers and they still do this now as teenagers.

Ooh, that's a really great idea. I've tried prepping him previously and will do it again. Worst case, I pull him again.

It’s amazing the things Disney can teach young children. Patience, waiting in line, etc. and for your guy, that he rarely gets to choose the color.

May be possible that you could be sent to the area where you stand and enter a vehicle, but if it’s the wrong color let the people behind you go. And that’s a lesson in serious patience on both your parts.

:D Yeah, I'd definitely basically just "stay in line" if that's even an option. Going to do my best with my generally wonderful but color conscious 3 year old. :yay:

Hey y'all! I have a 3 year old that will uh... lose his mind sometimes when he doesn't get a certain color ride. I know this is embarrassing, troublesome, and we've tried a million ways to deal with this but it usually results in him crying and screaming while I have to carry him away having not ridden the ride.

Is it reasonable and possible to tell the cast member we'd like to wait for a particular color vehicle? The only time I *know* this will happen is Tomorrowland Motorspeedway but I'm nervous about other times. :guilty:
My younger daughter was like that. She always wanted the pink car if possible. The only time it worked okay was if we had to split up and one of the cars was pink she would get it. We had to just stop it otherwise. It's just too much and Disney is usually too busy to indulge kids in that.

We just explained beforehand that whatever car we got was what we got. She accepted it. I know it's hard but in the long run it's better.

I do like that idea of a game. Guessing which color you get. Or maybe trying to get a rainbow of colors during the trip. See how many DIFFERENT colors you can get. Or keep a tally of how many times you get red, or blue, or pink, etc. Maybe buy stickers or something from Dollar Store or Five Below that you can give your son whenever you get a certain color car... or don't get the one he wants. You can make anything fun if you try hard enough.

Also, I'm a big believer in warning a child first. Always explain beforehand the repercussions of him having a tantrum, etc. Doing it in the heat of the moment makes it more difficult. He should be made aware that he will not be able to ride the ride, or get that souvenir he is begging for, or whatever you decide the repercussions will be. It's unfair to a child to not give them advance warning. I also believe in not making the repercussions too much for the situation. Some parents go overboard when it's supposed to be fun for everyone, not stressful or unfair. And it's not fair for the parent to miss out on a fun ride either.

NOT trying to tell you how to raise your child, of course! Just telling you what works for us.

I hope it works out! Keep us posted!

Yeah, we went to a local fair where we had to leave 3 different rides because he couldn't get a "green" one. I will break him of this habit come hell or high water! :D
Maybe you can give one of his FAVORITE speaking characters a note asking them to explain to him that all the cars are special and Mickey wants him to try them all...

Or create a letter with Disney clipart, etc on it stating such. You can leave it on his bed at the resort, etc.

This sounds like my kid. He has done pretty well about being prepared for other colors. One thing about the Speedway is that the loading process tends to be pretty quick. What's worked well for us is to get him so excited about getting on the ride and into the car that he doesn't get a chance to worry about the color. If not, I'm sure the CMs wouldn't mind if you politely asked to wait for a certain color.

This does remind me of our last trip. We were leaving MK via the monorail. A RED monorail pulls up (his favorite color!) He was so excited to get on the RED monorail as we stood there in front of it waiting to load. Then after a minute or 2, an announcement comes on that they're taking this monorail out of service due to a mechanical issue and we have to wait for the next one... That was a fun end of the day meltdown. :-(

My son is obsessed with green, but he's been better if he doesn't get the color of his choice. We don't really stand for it either, and we reinforce what they teach in school "You get what you get and you don't get upset".

Yeah, maybe I'm a horrible parent, but I wouldn't stand for it. I would understand that my kids likes a certain color and if it comes up, wonderful...heck, if we can see it's the very next car after ours, I may even ask the people right behind us to switch places. But beyond that, I simply wouldn't tolerate a meltdown over it. My response would be "You want to have a fit because you don't like the color of the car? Knock yourself out. You'll miss the ride and that's a shame, but it's up to you." I'm not criticizing you, OP, every parent does things differently and there isn't a "right answer" in things like this. Just my own $.02 is that for DW and I, we'd feel that giving in to something like that is just setting up for trouble later.

Ummm...I think the OP was asking for advice - not looking for these people to chime in with 'I'd never put up with that!'
Is it reasonable and possible to tell the cast member we'd like to wait for a particular color vehicle?

Actually she asked if it was okay to ask to wait for another car in a color of his liking.
Technically we all gave her unsolicited advice. LOL.

I do the color guessing game with my three year old, and it works well. He guesses a color and I guess a color.

On a few rides where you can pick the color (Dumbo comes to mind), I ask him to pick two or three colors. Also, each Dumbo has two different colors (a main and some trim), so it always seems to work out.

If we get on the verge of a meltdown for any reason in line (hot, tired, hungry, cranky, etc... he's 3), I go for distraction. I always have snacks or dum dum lollipops in my bag, or we will look at photos from the trip on my phone.

And if you get desperate, bribing with a Mickey Ice Cream bar works wonders...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!