Waikiki day trip questions...

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
1. Parking is it hard to get?

2. Suggestions for 2 mid 50 adults to do activities...

3. Lunch would love a waterfront restaurant...

I have found parking at the Zoo and at the Sheraton parking deck. Two totally opposite ends of Waikiki.

We have eaten at LuLu’s down by the zoo. Was good and beachfront.

There aren’t a lot of waterfront restaurants, Dukes is probably the most famous inside the Outrigger Waikiki, they also have the Hula Grill. The Kahala has a restaurant open for lunch actually on the sand but it is closer to Diamondhead as is Michel’s at the Colony Surf. Halekulani has House Without a Key and Orchids.

Embassy Suites has comp’ed parking but you have to dine from memory in one of the Beachwalk restaurants.

Trump has parking for around $30-40 but we tend to park in the Post Office in Saratoga St - they have metered parking and from memory I think it was around $15 for 1/2 day.

You could park at Ala Moana Center and take the pink line trolley into Waikiki. There are many stops along the trolley line and the fare is minimal. We found it easy to use, and also enjoyed wandering around the mall as well.

As for waterfront dining, Duke's or House Without a Key would be my picks. We also loved having a drink at the beach bar around the banyan tree at the Moana Surfrider. Beautiful atmosphere.

As for activities, I guess it depends on what you want to do. For us in Waikiki, we loved shopping and stopping for drinks/snacks along the strip. The beach is fun for people watching but its not a worthwhile beach day IMO. We also did Diamond Head which isn't too far, and I believe the zoo and the aquarium are in close proximity. We didn't do either, but our Diamond Head tour guide said the zoo was just ok but the aquarium was good. Hanauma Bay would make sense on a Waikiki day too.

If you're up for it, we loved renting mopeds to ride around Waikiki. We took them up to Diamond Head & Monoa Falls. It was a great way to see the city and get some Hawaii sunshine!

If you're up for it, we loved renting mopeds to ride around Waikiki. We took them up to Diamond Head & Monoa Falls. It was a great way to see the city and get some Hawaii sunshine!

I am planning a trip for April 2019...The moped rental looks interesting. Is it easy to use them to tour Waikiki/Diamondhead and park in the city along the way?

2. Suggestions for 2 mid 50 adults to do activities...

I would recommend Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum! Iolani is the only palace on U.S. soil.

I find parking in Honolulu to be a challenge but others have recommended some good options. The traffic was baaaad around Ala Moana when we went there. Took us a 1/2 just to be able to go around the block to get in and park! I agree with nekereina and kyton's rec's for waterfront restaurants.

I am planning a trip for April 2019...The moped rental looks interesting. Is it easy to use them to tour Waikiki/Diamondhead and park in the city along the way?
Sorry for a late response, I left the country and didn’t check the DIS.

They are very easy to use in the Waikiki area. I had actually never driven one before and I found it easy to get the hang of. The difficult thing is navigating as a lot of the streets don’t have signs to indicate which street you’re on. Otherwise, a good rental place will have maps to offer.

Go to the Royal Hawaiian. It is a gorgeous property. You can go to the Mai Tai Bar, it is right on the beach (but you aren't sitting in the sand). Fantastic Mai Tais, of course. Their food menu is really good too. You can not beat the location. Ocean view, Diamond Head view, gorgeous property that you can stroll. It's the huge, pink hotel. Iconic. They have valet parking. You can walk to all the shops at Waikiki from there.

I can't remember where we parked but it was in a garage. We had lunch at Dukes which was great. We did an outrigger canoe ride and a catamaran sail. We loved both. (we are early 50's) My daughter made a video. Link is in my signature. Waikiki day is at 2 min 15 sec of the video. It will show you both activities.
Waikiki is beautiful!

The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center or the International Marketplace will give you 3 hours for a small charge if you buy something, and that includes cokes at the ABC store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!