VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Our last stay at VWL was in 2014 and I know there have been tons of changes. Last time we were there it was a disappointment (dumpster view room & DH had some medical problems). That trip just left a bad taste in our mouth with the resort and the kids still remember how rough it was. Since then we’ve tried many other resorts and there are things we like about all of them. I want to try VWL again so tell me what’s new and awesome so I can convince the fam to give it another shot.

Our last stay at VWL was in 2014 and I know there have been tons of changes. Last time we were there it was a disappointment (dumpster view room & DH had some medical problems). That trip just left a bad taste in our mouth with the resort and the kids still remember how rough it was. Since then we’ve tried many other resorts and there are things we like about all of them. I want to try VWL again so tell me what’s new and awesome so I can convince the fam to give it another shot.
Maybe try a stay at Copper Creek, since points are the same, and you are staying by WL :flower3:

Happy Anniversary Bobbi!

I am team road trip. We have only flown to WDW once. I love a good road trip. Yes - I'm a bit loopy! :rotfl2:There is just something about a good road trip that says "Vacation" to me.

Being VWL is our home resort, we've stayed there plenty over the past decade and a half. Once, last December before our cruise, we had a poor location and felt let down. . .and it was a dark room overlooking the linen transfer area (the non-lake side version of the dreaded dumpster view). So, I feel your pain. And I won't lie--there are some things about VWL/CC/WL that I don't appreciate, such as the lack of a nature trail and changing Artist Point from a Signature to a character meal.

Still, there is much to still enjoy once the virus fades into the rear mirror. Geyser Point is a lovely addition to the WL ambiance. The new cabins are why the nature trail is gone, but there's no denying they're gorgeous and peaceful in their own way. If you like to cook on a grill, they have a few new ones with seating areas, much better than that old rusty thing near the old sand volleyball court. If you like Whispering Canyon, it's still there, as is Roaring Fork with its new outdoor seating area. Many of the smaller things that drew us to make VWL home are still there: the majestic lobby, the music, the nooks where you can sit quietly and watch a fire in the fireplace, the crickets chirping at night, the creak of the boards as you walk between the main lodge and VWL proper, the serenity of the Carolwood Pacific Room, the smells. WL won't wow you, perhaps, but it will speak to your heart if you let it.

Thanks Jimmy! I too like the camping concept. The sleeping on the ground? I've done it and that's the best I can say about it! Call me a Glamper I guess. :) It's really a cool "little" rig that has everything we need but doesn't feel cramped. It's packed with everything - built in generator, propane and solar too. Convection microwave, stove top, small fridge, toilet, shower, beds. And it has the outlets needed to make coffee with a Keurig!

What is really going to make me feel better about the travel is that other than filling up with gas it will be completely self contained so I'll feel good that when I get around family and co-workers after the trip that I've really minimized any virus exposure to as close to zero as possible. The peace of mind and not having to quarantine for a week or two on each end will be priceless. Not concerned about myself per se but would really hate if I did pick it up and someone got really sick.

I found a facebook group for this model and learned that many people name their little RV. I'll have to see as the names my vehicles have had have been: "Tahoe", "Truck", "Dodge".....well, you get the gist of it. :rotfl:
I can’t picture all that in there. Shower and toilet?? That is awesome.

We always drove from NoVA to WDW with one night in GA and loved it. We had lots of fun listening to books on tape, singing along to Disney movie soundtracks, playing the license plate game, reading all the South of the Border billboards, and noticing the first palm tree. We loved being able to throw whatever we needed in the car without following any rules. (and there were less of those in the 90's). But, in 2012 I had the worst back incident that I've ever had. We had to cancel our trip and didn't go back until 2014. Even with frequent stops, I ended up having to deal with more pain while we were there, and so when we went in 2017 I rented a scooter. In my 2018 and 2020 trips I flew. Didn't need a scooter and my back pain was less. I did however experience extreme ear pain! (and yes, I was vigorously chewing gum!)
So, on our next trip in 2022, which will include an almost 3 year-old, I am feeling very conflicted. Easy packing, including stroller and other toddler items v. restricted packing for a plane. Back pain v. ear pain. And of course, the cost and the time involved.
Anyhow, thanks for indulging my musings on something 2 years away!
Missing the lodge!!

We always drove from NoVA to WDW with one night in GA and loved it. We had lots of fun listening to books on tape, singing along to Disney movie soundtracks, playing the license plate game, reading all the South of the Border billboards, and noticing the first palm tree. We loved being able to throw whatever we needed in the car without following any rules. (and there were less of those in the 90's). But, in 2012 I had the worst back incident that I've ever had. We had to cancel our trip and didn't go back until 2014. Even with frequent stops, I ended up having to deal with more pain while we were there, and so when we went in 2017 I rented a scooter. In my 2018 and 2020 trips I flew. Didn't need a scooter and my back pain was less. I did however experience extreme ear pain! (and yes, I was vigorously chewing gum!)
So, on our next trip in 2022, which will include an almost 3 year-old, I am feeling very conflicted. Easy packing, including stroller and other toddler items v. restricted packing for a plane. Back pain v. ear pain. And of course, the cost and the time involved.
Anyhow, thanks for indulging my musings on something 2 years away!
Missing the lodge!!

You might try sudafed shortly before departure to see if you have some slight fluid in the ears that causes issues dealing with the pressure. Newer aircraft really are much improved for this but sometimes I run into one that I feel the change. If you have any had stuffiness then I consider sudafed a must. I've thought my head was going to explode more than once when I didn't.

You might try sudafed shortly before departure to see if you have some slight fluid in the ears that causes issues dealing with the pressure. Newer aircraft really are much improved for this but sometimes I run into one that I feel the change. If you have any had stuffiness then I consider sudafed a must. I've thought my head was going to explode more than once when I didn't.
Thanks so much for the tip. My daughter since her first flight has horrible horrible ear pain. Many times she has literally been in tears upon landing. I will have her try this in August.

Welcome to the groupies DisneyGal24!!!
Our 1st stay at VWL was in 01 as owners, and let me say, it was a bit of a disappointment, to the point, we were questioning ourselves on whether we had made a mistake or not buying into it all. It was Dec, it rained the entire week, it was cold, we were in a studio so we spent a lot of time at the laundry areas doing clothes and shoes. FF to the next trip, one year later. Totally different experience! We stayed in a two bed on the corner facing the pool/lake near the elevator. Not because we were in a two bed(though it was really nice)but because the weather was nicer, we were more relaxed as my MIL went with us, so we had to take it easy, that helped, so in general, our attitudes were better. At that point, we absolutely fell in love with WL/VWL, and its been nothing but love since, give or take a few changes along the way.

Where are my manners?! I forgot to officially welcome you, DisneyGal24, when I answered your questions earlier. So :welcome: to the Groupies! We hope you'll drop by often and become one of our big, caring, and informative family.

@bluecastle Wow, that's a tough choice. I have back issues, as well, have for years. Even so, I much prefer driving for all the reasons you gave. We love packing the back of our Pilot and cruising down from SWVA (Blue Ridge Mtns). We stop frequently just because we need to stretch sometimes. We enjoy not having to worry about the hassles of flying, the need to rent a car, or to rely on Disney transportation. Sure, it's a longer trip, but I look forward to the growing anticipation as we pass certain landmarks: the NC/SC border, turning onto I-26, turning onto I-95 about an hour later, hitting the SC/GA border, seeing the golf shops increase exponentially, laughing at how El Cheapo gas stations usually have the highest prices, our treasured Starbucks (we know where all of them are along the route), comparing state's rest stops, passing into Florida, making that wonderful turn onto I-4 past Jacksonville, and of course all the billboards as we get into the greater Orlando area. Flying is easier; driving is more fun.

Thanks so much for the tip. My daughter since her first flight has horrible horrible ear pain. Many times she has literally been in tears upon landing. I will have her try this in August.

It's what my ENT recommended for me whenever I had problems. If I have a cold it helps but doesn't 100% alleviate. And without a cold it's helped tremendously.

I much prefer driving for all the reasons you gave. We love packing the back of our Pilot and cruising down from SWVA (Blue Ridge Mtns). We stop frequently just because we need to stretch sometimes. We enjoy not having to worry about the hassles of flying, the need to rent a car, or to rely on Disney transportation. Sure, it's a longer trip, but I look forward to the growing anticipation as we pass certain landmarks: the NC/SC border, turning onto I-26, turning onto I-95 about an hour later, hitting the SC/GA border, seeing the golf shops increase exponentially, laughing at how El Cheapo gas stations usually have the highest prices, our treasured Starbucks (we know where all of them are along the route), comparing state's rest stops, passing into Florida, making that wonderful turn onto I-4 past Jacksonville, and of course all the billboards as we get into the greater Orlando area. Flying is easier; driving is more fun.

Now you have me craving a road trip - in the worst way. We would be at WDW right now if it weren't for that darned virus. :mad:

We have certain hotels we stay at. Certain rest areas we always stop at. Certain restaurants we eat at. The billboards we always looks for. I am missing it - SOOOO much. If next summer happens, and I don't even want to think about it not, I am going to soak in every millisecond of that road trip, vacation and trip back home.

Thanks, KAT! I took a Zyrtec for the trip back on the advice of a flight attendant, and it wasn't great, but it was not anything like the trip there.
Lakegirl: I know just how your daughter felt. I was sure the entire plane could hear my moans of pain! I had my head down, crying and massaging the area under my ears, opening my mouth trying to pop them, and chewing gum like a mad woman!
I do love those landmarks! And the independence.. luckily we have a lot of time to decide. I bet I'm not the only one with pictures like these:
IMG_7963.JPGIMG_7966.JPGIMG_7967.JPG

Now you have me craving a road trip - in the worst way. We would be at WDW right now if it weren't for that darned virus. :mad:

We have certain hotels we stay at. Certain rest areas we always stop at. Certain restaurants we eat at. The billboards we always looks for. I am missing it - SOOOO much. If next summer happens, and I don't even want to think about it not, I am going to soak in every millisecond of that road trip, vacation and trip back home.
Jen
That last sentence, Jen, pretty much sums it up for me too. We miss the things we take for granted so much, sometimes. Life in general is that way. Like you, I cant wait until that next trip when we can step foot back in the park and live again the fantasy life that so many of us crave here.

bluecastle
When you stop at the FL welcome center, do you ever get the fresh squeezed OJ or Grapefruit juice? Thats one of those little treats that's a must do kind of thing for us as we cross the FL/GA border on 95.

Our lives have changed so much recently and I have avoided several incidences on the road, that I think God was telling me its time to face facts and get in the air and off the road. Between torrential downpours, near misses with tractor trailers, Winnebagos, tornadoes, etc., we started flying, and believe me when I say this, I hate flying, esp. after 911. Sitting in the airport, flight delays, screaming kids, people coughing, etc., drives me nuts! But feeling safe, arriving with less stress, has got me thinking flying more and more. Now, with the pandemic, we are at a crossroads yet again. And we have until next March to use up cash in our SW account and Dec 2021 for unused tickets on AA. Just wish we could get our money back so we aren't forced to decide. Oh well, maybe this thing will pass and the new norm will be here and we can all go on with our lives. Im just ready to sit in Epcot over near JIA and eat some sour cream and chive popcorn and get grease all over my handspopcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter