VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I was having a hard time deciding fly or drive just to get to MN to work and then if I did I wouldn't feel comfortable if I didn't quarantine for a period of time so here's my solution:

Go little and don't stay home! ;)

I have always wanted to stay at FW but I don't think we'll be driving from one corner of the country to the other but never say never!

Last edited:
I was having a hard time deciding fly or drive just to get to MN to work and then if I did I wouldn't feel comfortable if I didn't quarantine for a period of time so here's my solution:

View attachment 498664

I have always wanted to stay at FW but I don't think we'll be driving from one corner of the country to the other but never say never!
Very nice. Is that a rental or did you buy?
If you can grab a FW reservation, I'm sure you'll love it.

Very nice. Is that a rental or did you buy?
If you can grab a FW reservation, I'm sure you'll love it.

Bought it used from a couple that bought it a year ago and put less than 1,000 miles on it. I looked at renting but once the mileage was added on top of the per night fee that didn't work out real well for what the main purpose is as I expect to make at least a couple of trips between MN and NV. Everything still had the protective plastic on it so essentially it's brand new.

Hi Cindy,

We have canceled both May & September, but if we decide to sneak in a trip to our Sarasota- our other FL happy place, we would fly. Truth be told, the only reason we haven’t booked anything yet is specifically because I’m hesitant to fly right now. I know I’m not much help!

Exciting news about your daughter in law! One item that comes to mind, on Etsy they have personalized wood hangars (my daughter in law received one for her wedding dress that had her new name]. There is one for a doctors lab coat, with the Caduceus, and the personalization is made with wire. I can send you a link if you like.

KAT
Ive never been a big fan of camping, but think of my camping as Boy Scout type, sleeping on the hard ground, staying awake as 2 snorers are on either side of your tent, etc. I like the settle down period at night, sitting round the campfire, telling stories, roasting marshmallows and making dinner. But all the other things that go with it, nope. But we have talked about wanting to rent an RV from a company in FL, have it set up and ready for us when we arrive at FW, and go from there.

Having a van like the one you bought for T and me, I could see that. Very nice ride!

Hi Cindy,

We have canceled both May & September, but if we decide to sneak in a trip to our Sarasota- our other FL happy place, we would fly. Truth be told, the only reason we haven’t booked anything yet is specifically because I’m hesitant to fly right now. I know I’m not much help!

Exciting news about your daughter in law! One item that comes to mind, on Etsy they have personalized wood hangars (my daughter in law received one for her wedding dress that had her new name]. There is one for a doctors lab coat, with the Caduceus, and the personalization is made with wire. I can send you a link if you like.
The more I think on it, the more determined I am to fly. Driving has it's perks too: we could stop at places along the way home and packing is not a worry, so If I need to bring that Mickey balloon home, I can. But that drive.

I just looked up the hangars on Etsy, those are very nice and have been added to the short list of options. Thank you.

Question to our groupies, summer and fall travelers: Fly or drive? Why?

I'm up in the air in regards to our December stay. Two solid days of driving each way is not for me so I think we'll be flying, just ultra cautious and may need to buy N95 mask for myself. I recall trying to use one years back for painting and cussed it out as I could not breathe. Can you imagine studying years to become a doctor only to not be able to wear the equipment needed for the job?

Speaking of doctors... My daughter in law is graduating from her residency on Friday! We've been invited to attend via a zoom or zoom like ceremony. I'm so excited for her! I have no idea what gift is suiting both her quirky personality, the seriousness of the occasion and not add bulk for her and my son as they move. Any ideas? She loves Disney pins, plants and they have 2 dogs and a kitty.

I had to fly (chose to) two weeks ago. I needed to go to south Texas to retrieve my oldest. I could have driven both ways, but didn't relish the 13 hour trip both ways by myself. I flew there, and then a rented a one way rental to drive myself and part of her "stuff" home. It was ridiculously cheap to do so. I paid $120 to rent a midsize SUV from the airport and drive it back to Alabama and drop it off 10 minutes from my house. I flew United and felt safe. The plane from Pensacola to Houston was full, but the plane from Houston to McAllen was practically empty. I was upgraded to first class for the first time in my life! They said they needed to balance the plane. I did have to wear a mask the whole time.

As far as a gift, I would think a piece of jewelry to commemorate the occasion would be special. Jewelry will travel well too. My in-laws bought me a pearl necklace and bracelet when I graduated from college. I cherish them, even though I don't wear them often. Pearls may not be her taste, but possibly some other type of jewelry would be special to her. I of course would cherish any Disney jewelry as well!

View attachment 498664

Back in February, DH and I rented bikes and rode all over Fort Wilderness. I camped there as a kid, so that place has really special memories for me. I have no desire to camp as an adult, but I would buy a motor home and live there during the winter if DH was in agreement ( he will not be though! :tilt:). I just love that place. I couldn't get over what set ups some of those people had. It was obvious they were serious about their time there at FW!

KAT
Ive never been a big fan of camping, but think of my camping as Boy Scout type, sleeping on the hard ground, staying awake as 2 snorers are on either side of your tent, etc. I like the settle down period at night, sitting round the campfire, telling stories, roasting marshmallows and making dinner. But all the other things that go with it, nope. But we have talked about wanting to rent an RV from a company in FL, have it set up and ready for us when we arrive at FW, and go from there.

Having a van like the one you bought for T and me, I could see that. Very nice ride!

Thanks Jimmy! I too like the camping concept. The sleeping on the ground? I've done it and that's the best I can say about it! Call me a Glamper I guess. :) It's really a cool "little" rig that has everything we need but doesn't feel cramped. It's packed with everything - built in generator, propane and solar too. Convection microwave, stove top, small fridge, toilet, shower, beds. And it has the outlets needed to make coffee with a Keurig!

What is really going to make me feel better about the travel is that other than filling up with gas it will be completely self contained so I'll feel good that when I get around family and co-workers after the trip that I've really minimized any virus exposure to as close to zero as possible. The peace of mind and not having to quarantine for a week or two on each end will be priceless. Not concerned about myself per se but would really hate if I did pick it up and someone got really sick.

I found a facebook group for this model and learned that many people name their little RV. I'll have to see as the names my vehicles have had have been: "Tahoe", "Truck", "Dodge".....well, you get the gist of it. :rotfl:

KAT
Upon closer inspection I realized your van is the same as the one I drive for work. I love it, very spacious(though mine is full of tools right now)enough to be able to walk in the back without bumping your head. My Dads neighbor has one similar to yours, and it looks really cool. Mine is a more stripped down version, totally empty in the back and I keep it that way to allow me to be able to haul cabinets along with tools when needed.

I miss camping (RV) in Disney and at Myrtle Beach.
I do not miss the drives.

This is the main reason I love the FW cabins, and WL -- Similar envoronments (hoping all those trees are starting to fill back in at WL) just a touch better!

KAT
Upon closer inspection I realized your van is the same as the one I drive for work. I love it, very spacious(though mine is full of tools right now)enough to be able to walk in the back without bumping your head. My Dads neighbor has one similar to yours, and it looks really cool. Mine is a more stripped down version, totally empty in the back and I keep it that way to allow me to be able to haul cabinets along with tools when needed.

We have Ram trucks at work that have been up to the tasks required but they are not like this model. It is definitely good sized!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter