VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Come visit MN again Sleepy and walk thru a nice field of tall grass (or mow it) at dusk and we'll talk about mosquitos comparisons again. :rotfl:

I agree that onboard and in the cities there won't be much or any issues with bugs. Get out into some wild areas and have some spray and long sleeves and pants to be more comfortable. Only been to Alaska twice - once on land and once a cruise with shore excursions. Once in late May (the cruise) and once in July and we didn't have any problems with the bugs but either weren't out in the woods at night or when we were at Denali it was cold, even in July.
Yeah, I would guess MN and AK would be very close in terms of mosquitoes as they share some similarities in geography--I was in MN often while stationed in ND. Agree that as long as you stay in more developed areas, the issue isn't bad. But, lordy, if you go off into the interior. . .:eek:

Hi Groupies!

I hope everyone is staying safe and well! I had a trip planned out for December in a super yummy 1 bedroom villa. Unfortunately with all the news out on how things are going to be with the reopening, I feel it is better to reschedule. We are still at a point here in Canada where we have to quarantine for two weeks if we leave the country. Borders are still closed and I am just not sure what is going to happen next. So I am going to err on the side of caution and look ahead to Christmas 2021.

In happy news, I am going to use my banked 2019 points(hopefully) for a super relaxing March Break at Hilton Head Island. It'll be fun to check out somewhere new and I know Disney will be as amazing as ever when I get back.

Take care everyone!

Hi Groupies!

I hope everyone is staying safe and well! I had a trip planned out for December in a super yummy 1 bedroom villa. Unfortunately with all the news out on how things are going to be with the reopening, I feel it is better to reschedule. We are still at a point here in Canada where we have to quarantine for two weeks if we leave the country. Borders are still closed and I am just not sure what is going to happen next. So I am going to err on the side of caution and look ahead to Christmas 2021.

In happy news, I am going to use my banked 2019 points(hopefully) for a super relaxing March Break at Hilton Head Island. It'll be fun to check out somewhere new and I know Disney will be as amazing as ever when I get back.

Take care everyone!
Hey, Suse! Given the circumstances, I think you're smart to reschedule. Too much of the unknown gong on currently.

As for HHI, you'll love it! Beautiful place, relaxing vibe, great restaurant scene, and you don't have to do al the planning like you do with a WDW trip. We'll be there in two weeks, in fact.

I need a scapegoat for the weather, and you're it, sister. Sorry. ;)

Bugs. I have lived in 10 states (including TX, LA, VA, and MD) and visited all but two states (VT and NH), and I can unequivocally state that Alaska has the worst mosquito population of any of them. That being said, I wouldn't think you'll have any issues on board, certainly not while sailing. Now, at any given port if you get off the ship, you may encounter some, though generally they aren't bad in town or city streets. Now, if you plan any excursions that take you outside city limits into more natural areas, then I'd wear repellent. Unless you enter an area likely to have swarms of them--bogs, wet zones, etc.--you should be okay. However, I suspect the actual vendors or companies running the excursions would be prepared for anything you face. If you only get off to walk around, say, Juneau, I don't think you'll have any issues. Once again, however, it wouldn't hurt to take some repellent and use a little of it.

Here are a few examples regarding my suggestions above. If I walked around Anchorage during the summer, I rarely noticed any. Same with the smaller town center of Eagle River about 10 minutes outside of Anchorage. I lived in a subdivision that was less than a five-minute drive from the Eagle River town center, but when I mowed, I made sure to wear repellent as the mosquitoes were noticeable. About three miles from my house in the other direction is the Eagle River Nature Center where you can hike among other things. Around the small lake there, the mosquitoes could be dense. By and large, I don't believe you'll have an issue as, obviously, all the ports of call are on the water, and the prevailing breezes and suburban nature of the towns will push most of those biters farther inland. As for other bugs, no. The cold weather does a number on most of them, so you won't see much else I wouldn't think. Keep in mind, that on any given day, you might also need to be long pants and a jacket, so that will help, too.

Well we are used to "Blame Canada", to which as good Canadians we dutifully say, "Sorry".

Glad to know re: mosquitoes. We will keep them in mind and bring insect repellent in case it is needed. Thank you so much for your insight !!

I also figure we will be in pants and long sleeves/jacket most of the time anyway -- if not for the temperature then for sun protection, so that will help a fair bit [although as my sister well knows, they find her anyway!].

I certainly appreciate cold weather vs the bugs population. I spent several years living in TX and they have a lot of bugs and lots more harmful-to-humans ones than up here. My mantra is four real seasons is a good thing -- the cold kills the bugs [they can't even live here; and those that do hide in the winter] and puts the plants to sleep [good for pollen allergies]. Many people don't appreciate this until they've lived somewhere you have to shake your shoes out before you put them on to make sure some poisonous creature has not taken up temporary residence first.

SW

My wife and I are the two farthest to the right in this picture. Also in the picture I recognize Twokats, Princess Kati, Dizny Di and DiznyDad and Stopher. Quite the gathering! :)
Yes, I am in the red top and my daughter Kati is standing between me and Mrs. Granny. The last picture is Kati, me and my son Clay.

Finally got thru to MS after dialing dozens and dozens of times - then was on hold for over an hr and a half but I have my 1br at WLV for Sept3-10 - then onto HH thru the 13th - so excited!!! I needed them to re-allocated points that I had booked online to make the best use of banked/borrowed and OTU pts plus they restored 23 borrowed points back to 2021 - can’t say enough about our MS - they’re the best!

Glad to hear you got trough to Member Services Tricia, and you were able to get your reservations!

I love seeing Groupies pictures! I hope it’s OK to show another.
May 2017

View attachment 498084
Tom and I are top row, cushion seat right side, and our FLfriends Bev and Tom are in chairs across from us.

And I am on the left side in dark shirt with Mrs. Granny across from me. Next to me is Dizny Dad with DiznyDi at the end of the table. Good times! :)

Hey groupies! Happy Sunday! Trying to do a little catching up on everyone. Who knew mosquitoes would be so bad in Alaska??? I thought the cold would kill them all off. They are a huge problem in southern Alabama. Our city even sends around a truck that sprays into neighborhoods to try to kill them.
We didn't have any WDW plans on the books for the rest of this year. I made a reservation for Easter next year, but who knows?? It will be DD17's senior year of high school. My boss told me the other day that administration strongly feels like we will be teaching from home at some point again next year. I can't wrap my mind around that right now. I've been so good with this whole quarantine, but I'm just about ready to go stir crazy at this point. Thankfully we finished our school year on the 21st. I'll gladly eat any words that I ever said about being on online teacher when I retire. I'll be looking for my next occupation when I retire. I turned 50 on Thursday, so I guess it's time for me to figure out what I want to be when I grow up anyway. :)

Hey groupies! Happy Sunday! Trying to do a little catching up on everyone. Who knew mosquitoes would be so bad in Alaska??? I thought the cold would kill them all off. They are a huge problem in southern Alabama. Our city even sends around a truck that sprays into neighborhoods to try to kill them.
We didn't have any WDW plans on the books for the rest of this year. I made a reservation for Easter next year, but who knows?? It will be DD17's senior year of high school. My boss told me the other day that administration strongly feels like we will be teaching from home at some point again next year. I can't wrap my mind around that right now. I've been so good with this whole quarantine, but I'm just about ready to go stir crazy at this point. Thankfully we finished our school year on the 21st. I'll gladly eat any words that I ever said about being on online teacher when I retire. I'll be looking for my next occupation when I retire. I turned 50 on Thursday, so I guess it's time for me to figure out what I want to be when I grow up anyway. :)
Mosquitoes don't need warmth to survive, sadly, and there are so many bogs, ponds, and lakes in Alaska that they breed like crazy from late April through September. If you go to certain parts of the interior during the summer, you need to wear netting, pants, long-sleeve shirts, and gloves. They will literally nearly eat you alive.

Heading to HHI on 15 June, we will be among the first wave of visitors to a DVC resort since the pandemic shut things down. We were originally scheduled for 14 June but managed to modify to the 15th. However, we were also able to book the 14th as a separate night--we think it will be cancelled but has not been as of today. We'll keep everyone in the loop and report what we find when we go.

Morning, Groupies! No activity on here for over 36 hours, so I will stop the slide down the page. No status changes for us in most areas--we're mostly staying in, straightening the house, and biding time until our trip to HHI. I hope all of you are well and focusing on better days in the coming month.

Stay safe and be well, friends.

Hi everyone! Yesterday was our 52nd wedding anniversary, and today is the 52nd anniversary of my College Graduation. It was a very busy time!

We have cancelled our July 2-13 FL stay because we live in NJ AND would have to self quarantine to be in FL.

SLEEPY, and all who are going soon, I wish you wonderful trips! Our next stay will hopefully be in September, I am so ready to travel!

Question to our groupies, summer and fall travelers: Fly or drive? Why?

I'm up in the air in regards to our December stay. Two solid days of driving each way is not for me so I think we'll be flying, just ultra cautious and may need to buy N95 mask for myself. I recall trying to use one years back for painting and cussed it out as I could not breathe. Can you imagine studying years to become a doctor only to not be able to wear the equipment needed for the job?

Speaking of doctors... My daughter in law is graduating from her residency on Friday! We've been invited to attend via a zoom or zoom like ceremony. I'm so excited for her! I have no idea what gift is suiting both her quirky personality, the seriousness of the occasion and not add bulk for her and my son as they move. Any ideas? She loves Disney pins, plants and they have 2 dogs and a kitty.

Question to our groupies, summer and fall travelers: Fly or drive? Why?

I'm up in the air in regards to our December stay. Two solid days of driving each way is not for me so I think we'll be flying, just ultra cautious and may need to buy N95 mask for myself. I recall trying to use one years back for painting and cussed it out as I could not breathe. Can you imagine studying years to become a doctor only to not be able to wear the equipment needed for the job?

Cindy...we too have a December trip planned, and we go back and forth on this. We have a Southwest Airline credit sitting there due to cancelling our May trip. But I just don't know if we will want to fly. For us, it is almost exactly 1,000 miles to Orlando so it is probably a 2 day car trip as well (though we used to power through it in one day). At this point we are in the "wait and see" mode to see what is going on with COVID-19 at that point. I'd much prefer to fly just to avoid spending a couple more days of my life driving.

The downside to driving is that we need to take breaks and make pit stops. And I'm not sure when I'll be comfortable using public restrooms again.

But the truth is that the trip is 6 months away, so I can't get too worked up about it. Things will work out, one way of the other.

Speaking of doctors... My daughter in law is graduating from her residency on Friday! We've been invited to attend via a zoom or zoom like ceremony. I'm so excited for her! I have no idea what gift is suiting both her quirky personality, the seriousness of the occasion and not add bulk for her and my son as they move. Any ideas? She loves Disney pins, plants and they have 2 dogs and a kitty.

Congratulations to your daughter in law! I have no idea what would be a good gift but I think that is great news!

We plan to drive in September and I know my husband really wants to use our airline credits to fly in November and December. I think that’s what we will do IF we go.

I’m a fan of flying these days, but having to wear a mask the entire time, I’m not sure that’s going to work for me or Tammy

Like Granny, we have SW points built up from having to cancel the March-April trip so hoping we can make a possible Jan or Feb trip work. This will also stretch our APs long enough for another use, otherwise, we may have to opt for the possible refund of the 119 days that WDW will have been closed.

Just sitting on my hands and waiting for the smoke to clear🙃

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter