VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy...I agree with the legacy aspect of the thread. It's nice to have such a long running thread. Remember when we had to close the threads when they hit 150 pages? o_O

And I know I speak for all Groupies when I say that you've done an amazing job hosting this thread. We know how busy your schedule can be yet you keep us all in line. And my gosh...just how much do we have in petty cash these days with all these "Groupie membership enrollment fees"? Must be a ton of money...maybe even enough for one Mickey bar these days. :)

Yeah, that's a "photo bouquet" shot which, fortunately, I have on my phone!
Thanks, Granny! I figure why be just boring when you can be humorous AND boring.

As for the thread, you are correct, I believe--we'd have to start over with a new page. Honestly, I like the fact we have such a legacy on the DIS--we're one of the longest running, most visited, and most commented upon threads in the entire DISverse. And I'm more than happy to continue updating Page 1, but I also recognize that others have more smarts than me when it comes to "hosting" a page or thread (mrsap on the CCV thread has done a great job, for example). Regardless, I hope to have more pics up by this weekend when my pesky daytime job leaves me alone. pirate:

We'll put you up for a hosting award against any other thread Sleepy! 🏆

Sleepy...I agree with the legacy aspect of the thread. It's nice to have such a long running thread. Remember when we had to close the threads when they hit 150 pages? o_O

And I know I speak for all Groupies when I say that you've done an amazing job hosting this thread. We know how busy your schedule can be yet you keep us all in line. And my gosh...just how much do we have in petty cash these days with all these "Groupie membership enrollment fees"? Must be a ton of money...maybe even enough for one Mickey bar these days. :)
We'll put you up for a hosting award against any other thread Sleepy! 🏆
I gleefully accept this award on behalf. . .oh, never mind. pirate:

Seriously, thanks, guys. :blush: This thread has become a significant part of my life and Luv's. Seems there's always a nice picture, humorous story, or some notable news worth sharing among our Groupies, and that's a very humanizing thing if that makes sense. I've not met a ton of Groupies, but I feel as though most everyone on here is part of an extended family. I just looked back at the first page, and this version of the Groupies gabfest began in March of 2014--five and a half years ago! As you pointed out, Granny, I do remember when we had to close at 150 pages! I'll give a shout out to the mods for updating and enlarging the scope of the DIS. Have to admit over the years that they've managed to make the DIS a bit easier to navigate and use, all the while expanding the capabilities. Kudos!

Going back reminds me, in case anyone is ever interested, there are links to our past threads--the 150 Postmaximus Era--which are rather enjoyable to skim from time to time. Lots of old known faces and names, as well as the beginnings of some traditions. For example, I saw a post where JT immortalized DiznyDad's quote, "once a Groupie, always a Groupie" which has become a bit of a mantra here. Anyway, there are tons of good memories to be found!

As for the money, let's. . .just. . .not. . .talk. . .about. . .it. . .okay? Shhhhhhhhhh. . . .

Wowzer, I can't believe I was 4 pages behind. That has never happened to me, and I cant let it happen again!

Sleepy, I am in agreement with others here, you have done an outstanding job in your management of this thread! And I agree with you, what a great place to come too, to escape other cyber world issues. We have and have had for many years a great core group of folks who have been around from the start of it all, ol timers as I refer to us, who have welcomed" all who come to this happy place" with open arms. We have been fortunate to avoid confrontation and remained a happy place to hang out, share our love of Lodge and share our ups and downs of life. Unique bunch we are, to say the least.

I looked back at the 1st page and not sure why Stans photo isn't blurry as I feel sure it came from photo bucket as well. I remember how excited I was seeing him featured in our DVC member magazine. So our guide sent us an extra copy that I cut out and made the frame out of walnut for him and presented it to him as we arrived on one of our trips. I have the same framed in my hall along with a few letters he sent us way back.

What a special man he was!

Hey, all! It's the start of another work week which means Chris and I are a few days closer to getting back to the World. We actually added a trip, as well, so I should get over there to Page 1 and add that change. Buckle up, buttercups! The week lies ahead!!

Wow! So much to catch up on. but as always, I enjoy the lively and friendly conversations in this thread. I have been out for a little while recovering from an unexpected right carotid endarterectomny. DiznyDi has been taking good care of me, protecting me from my toxic masculinity (you know, hold my beer, watch this . . kind of thing). But I'm back to the grind and looking forward to keeping up with the Groupies again. The Great Dillon Family Disney Adventure is now less than 60 sleeps away; looking forward to having DiznyDi and all of my family enjoying the adventure that only Disney can provide!

Wow! So much to catch up on. but as always, I enjoy the lively and friendly conversations in this thread. I have been out for a little while recovering from an unexpected right carotid endarterectomny. DiznyDi has been taking good care of me, protecting me from my toxic masculinity (you know, hold my beer, watch this . . kind of thing). But I'm back to the grind and looking forward to keeping up with the Groupies again. The Great Dillon Family Disney Adventure is now less than 60 sleeps away; looking forward to having DiznyDi and all of my family enjoying the adventure that only Disney can provide!

DDad...I'm glad that your procedure seems to have gone well, and that you're bouncing back. That's scary stuff, and I'm glad you were able to have the surgery as a preventive measure rather than reacting to an issue. I hope your planning for the big pow wow continues to go well...I'm sure that will be a great adventure for your family with many wonderful memories! :)

Sleepy . . .and we're lucky we got this old . . meaning we didn't get run over by a bus somewhere along the way! But it does offer benefits, like not having to jump up as fast 'cause everybody knows your old, etc. And people bring you stuff!

I'm glad you guys are still here and still posting. You were all so helpful when I was planning our 2014 trip. (which I started planning in 2012, but my back issues delayed that for quite a while) We've stayed at a couple of other places since then, but my DH and I have a trip planned for January at the lodge. We visit it and the villas no matter where else we stay. This trip will be to, hopefully, celebrate good health news. Just completed 7 weeks of radiation and I'm hoping to get good news at the end of November. At the same time we were going through all this, our DD gave birth to our very first grandchild! We are planning a trip for 2022, right before she turns 3. We all have very fond memories of our 2BR villa and hope to stay there again. My DD has expressed interest in CC, but we shall see. Anyhow, just wanted to thank you for keeping this thread going. I miss seeing Kook on the WL thread and it's nice to see familiar names here.

I'm glad you guys are still here and still posting. You were all so helpful when I was planning our 2014 trip. (which I started planning in 2012, but my back issues delayed that for quite a while) We've stayed at a couple of other places since then, but my DH and I have a trip planned for January at the lodge. We visit it and the villas no matter where else we stay. This trip will be to, hopefully, celebrate good health news. Just completed 7 weeks of radiation and I'm hoping to get good news at the end of November. At the same time we were going through all this, our DD gave birth to our very first grandchild! We are planning a trip for 2022, right before she turns 3. We all have very fond memories of our 2BR villa and hope to stay there again. My DD has expressed interest in CC, but we shall see. Anyhow, just wanted to thank you for keeping this thread going. I miss seeing Kook on the WL thread and it's nice to see familiar names here.
Well, blue, so glad to see you back on here! Yep, most of the old. . .long-time. . .experienced folks are still here. I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying we hope you get great news in November. If you feel like shooting me the dates of your next trip(s), please do so though, as always, there's never any pressure to do so. Also, congrats on your grandchild! Marvelous! CC is a fine resort in its own right, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there last March; however, VWL still holds the most revered spot in our hearts.

Hey . . Blue . . Glad to hear from you! Keep in mind that sharing concerns of your life on this thread generates more prayers for you and family than may be expressed by the few. Continue to keep the magic in your plans. See you at the groupie meet in 2022!

DiznyDad
Glad you are doing good! Thats a scare to say the least. Sounds like a WDW trip for relaxation may do the trick:)

Im in the boat too of old ageness:crutches:And it stinks!! Every AM I awake to a new crick in the neck, or a tick in the back, or a squeak in my leg, or a tock in my toes. Somumps ah gonna hurt, just depends on which body parts turn it is:teeth:

BlueCastle
Welcome back and wishing and praying for you along with some Moose Dust(its like Pixie Dust, but green and brownish, its what we Groupie Lodge lovers prefer to use around these parts)for the best of news and restored health

Happy Friday, Groupies! It's been homecoming week here, so you know there's been some great educating going on during class time. pirate: Weather still abnormally dry (nearby areas are in a moderate drought) which is totally opposite of the prior 7-8 months leading up to August when we had abnormally wet conditions. Best wishes to those who might be affected by the tropical rains down in East Texas/western Louisiana. Those are my old stomping grounds, and while they're used to rain, they're not used to this amount of moisture.

In World news, I lead off the top of the broadcast as coming down firmly in the "so far I don't like it" camp of the new entrance to Tomorrowland. Granted, the old one was a bit steam punk-ish, but it had character. The new entry arch is, like much of Disney's designs the past several years, bland. Perhaps it's just me. On a more positive note, Luv and I decided to head down to the World during my between grading periods break the first week of March. It's the same time we were there last year, only since it was barely over 5 months out, all we could snag was SSR. Now, that's not meant to be a knock against that resort--we've stayed there before and enjoyed it; however, it's still not in our top 10 of WDW resorts. We are grateful, nonetheless, for the ability to stay somewhere on points.

Finally, I have loaded exactly one picture on Page 1, the first one showing the beautiful flowers to the right front of the Lodge. I tried last weekend several times, but the picture kept going in rotated one turn counterclockwise no matter what I did. I finally managed to get it off my phone, to my computer (again), and then rotated before plugging it into Page 1. It appears to have worked. Hopefully, there will be more to follow soon!

Have a great weekend, Groupies! :drinking1:dancer: :wizard:

In World news, I lead off the top of the broadcast as coming down firmly in the "so far I don't like it" camp of the new entrance to Tomorrowland. Granted, the old one was a bit steam punk-ish, but it had character. The new entry arch is, like much of Disney's designs the past several years, bland. Perhaps it's just me.

I wasn't aware of the new sign, so I did that Googly thing:

tomorrowland_sign.jpgj

I think I'm kind of neutral about it. The old one was endearing in a kitschy kind of way, but this does have a nice simplicity to it. In general, Tomorrowland could use some upgrading. The new Tron ride will probably help in that regard.

Although I love the nostalgia of The Carousel of Progress, the last set up could use a little updating, too. Whatever the case, everyone should still be required to sign the song as one flies by the changes in progress. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day, there a great big . . . . hey, come on now . . . everybody sing! beautiful tomorrow, , , ,

Although I love the nostalgia of The Carousel of Progress, the last set up could use a little updating, too. Whatever the case, everyone should still be required to sign the song as one flies by the changes in progress. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day, there a great big . . . . hey, come on now . . . everybody sing! beautiful tomorrow, , , ,
My DD and I always sing 🎶
The jury is out for me on the new TL sign. Will wait til I see it in person.

I wasn't aware of the new sign, so I did that Googly thing:

View attachment 437442j

I think I'm kind of neutral about it. The old one was endearing in a kitschy kind of way, but this does have a nice simplicity to it. In general, Tomorrowland could use some upgrading. The new Tron ride will probably help in that regard.
I was watching a resort tv livestream last night and they showed the sign lit up at night. I like it... at night. The daytime version looks too sterile. I'm also not convinced that this structure is "new" but rather the old version stripped and up-cycled. It seems to have exactly the same base structure shape. I'm curious now - is it metal?

I agree, the last set is a bit old, out of date now. In the 80s, we would have been going gosh...wow! Not today:)
But I do love the COP, and the song. Its our DD Kristians favorite thing at MK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!