VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I read on another site (where you can get lots of great Info about DVC) that the voice of Minnie Mouse passed away. I had no idea that Mickey and Minnie (voices) were married in real life! I would think that they were a lot of fun at dinner parties! ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Acclaimed voice actor and Disney Legend Russi Taylor passed away in Glendale, California, on July 26, 2019. She was 75.
Through countless effervescent performances, Russi always showed an incredible talent for entertaining and improvisation. While she brought to life an illustrious cast of beloved characters during a career that spanned nearly four decades, Russi is best known as the official voice of Minnie Mouse. She first assumed the role more than 30 years ago and has given voice to Minnie in hundreds of Disney projects—from television, to theme park experiences, animated shorts, and theatrical films—no performance was too tough for Russi’s accomplished take on the divine Miss Minnie Mouse.
“Minnie Mouse lost her voice with the passing of Russi Taylor,” said Bob Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “For more than 30 years, Minnie and Russi worked together to entertain millions around the world—a partnership that made Minnie a global icon and Russi a Disney Legend beloved by fans everywhere. We’re so grateful for Russi’s talent as well as the tremendous spirit and great joy she brought to everything she did. It was a privilege to have known her and an honor to have worked with her, and we take comfort in the knowledge that her work will continue to entertain and inspire for generations to come. Russi will be sorely missed and our hearts go out to her family and friends, along with our deepest condolences.”
Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on May 4, 1944, Russi had a desire to work for Disney since childhood. “When I was a little girl, I was with my mom and my brother, and it was late at night at Disneyland. We had just come off the Mark Twain Riverboat and were getting some popcorn. I looked over and saw Walt sitting on a bench, so we introduced ourselves and shared our popcorn with him. At one point during our chat, he asked me what I wanted to do when I grow up, and I said, ‘I want to work for you!’ So he said, ‘Okay!’—and now I do!”
There were some very big yellow heels to fill when she beat out 200 other hopefuls during a 1986 audition to win the coveted role of Minnie Mouse. She would go on to voice Minnie in the films Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Runaway Brain, Get a Horse!, and Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers, as well as several television series, including Mickey MouseWorks, House of Mouse, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, and the award-winning Mickey Mouse shorts series for Disney Channel from Disney Television Animation that debuted in 2013.
“Russi was as close as family; as wonderful, funny, and sweet as Minnie Mouse, and as talented yet humble as you would expect,” said Bill Farmer, the voice of Goofy and a longtime friend of Russi. “I will deeply and dearly miss her.”
“You have to bring yourself to a character,” Russi once observed. “But because of this particular character, she actually enhances who I am, she really does. In a sense Minnie makes me better than I was before ’cause there’s a lot to live up to.”
Russi found her real-life Mickey in the mid-1980s in the form of Wayne Allwine, who had voiced Mickey Mouse since 1977. The pair fell deeply in love and married in 1991, remaining as inseparable as their animated counterparts until Wayne’s passing in 2009. “I really want whoever comes after us to be aware of the history and the tradition, and to love the characters as much as we do,” she said of herself and Wayne.
“Russi Taylor embodied the character of Minnie Mouse,” remembers Rick Dempsey, Senior Vice President, Disney Character Voices. “She truly was one of the kindest, most gracious, upbeat, and loving people I have ever had the privilege to work with and to count as a friend. Anytime anyone met Russi, their day would always get just a little bit brighter. Not only was she amazingly talented and gifted, but she had a true desire to make the world a better place with the gifts she was blessed with. The world has a lost a real treasure. She will truly be missed, but her voice will live on.”
Russi’s other Disney voices have included Nurse Mouse in The Rescuers Down Under, as well as Donald’s mischievous nephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie, and their friend Webbigail Vanderquack in the original DuckTales animated series. She also lent her voice to roles on other classic TV animated series like TaleSpin, The Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, and Kim Possible; as well as modern favorites that includeSofia the First, The Lion Guard, and Tangled: The Series.
Among the most famous roles on Russi’s impressive extended resume of credits are Strawberry Shortcake, Baby Gonzo (of Muppet Babies fame), Pebbles Flintstone, Duchess the Cat in the film Babe, and Ferny Toro in Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks. She also provided the voice of Martin Prince and the twins, Sherri and Terri, on more than 100 episodes of The Simpsons, as well as the blockbuster feature The Simpsons Movie.
“I never wanted to be famous,” she once said. “The characters I do are famous, and that’s fine for me.”

Thank you for that Grannie - I saw the news of her passing. Very sad as imho 75 is still too young. I never knew Minnie did end up marrying Mickey!

Can you imagine the fun to be at a roadside vegetable stand with the kids, perhaps picking out pumpkins, when you hear over the sea of orange Minnie calling out to Mickey to come check out the ones she had found, and then the real Mickey replying "Oh boy! I'll be right there!" I know I'd be looking for two cartoon mice.

Oh the fun they must have had at family gettogethers.

I used to take the kids(they are young adults now)to every new Disney movie that came out. We don't go anymore, very seldom do I frequent the theaters for that matter. People on their cell phones, having conversations amongst themselves whilst the movie is playing, etc. has driven me away long ago.

We built a 2 car garage for Caseys mustang and his 83 Monte Carlo rebuild(he has a lot tied up in that last one)so while we were doing so, we decided to add on that home theater Tammy and I dreamed about ever since we saw one at Epcot many a year ago. Does anyone remember that, located at one of the Innoventions? We walked out of there amazed and for years said we are going to build one someday in our home. And its got a WLish theme to it! Dark green throughout, wall sconce lights that harken back to some familiar ones before the refurb(s) that dim. Cherry cabinets that Casey and I built that incorporate the screen and will eventually house many mementoes from past WDW trips are the focal point of the room. And behind our seating area we put a cherry wood wet bar in with a couple items from Rose n Crown to keep in the WDW spirit.

So we wait til the DVDs from this summers Disney movies are released then we watch, over and over if we like. :goodvibes

Jimmy, that sounds absolutely AWESOME!!! The sense of satisfaction and pride you and Casey must feel surely has to add to the positive vibes of being in that room!

Jimmy, that sounds absolutely AWESOME!!! The sense of satisfaction and pride you and Casey must feel surely has to add to the positive vibes of being in that room!
Thanks Corinne! After re-reading my post, I felt like it came off in a braggart way, not my intentions. It is a cool feeling sitting up there and watching movies in a comfortable environment. Nicest part, if we have to stop for bathroom breaks, we can, no hollering at the projection room, "hey Chef, stop the movie" popcorn:::rotfl2:Slight nod to Muppet Vison 3-D there;)

Thanks Corinne! After re-reading my post, I felt like it came off in a braggart way, not my intentions. It is a cool feeling sitting up there and watching movies in a comfortable environment. Nicest part, if we have to stop for bathroom breaks, we can, no hollering at the projection room, "hey Chef, stop the movie" popcorn:::rotfl2:Slight nod to Muppet Vison 3-D there;)

Not at all Jimmy! Sounds very cool! We’ve contemplated some sort of theatre room too but it would just be using an existing room. Yours sounds great! But where are the pictures?! :scratchin:confused:

fter re-reading my post, I felt like it came off in a braggart way, not my intentions.

No worries Jimmy...anyone who's spent 10 seconds with you knows that bragging is not part of your nature.

Unless it's about Tammy, the kids or the grandkid...which is perfectly understandable and required! :)

Nicest part, if we have to stop for bathroom breaks, we can, no hollering at the projection room, "hey Chef, stop the movie" popcorn:::rotfl2:Slight nod to Muppet Vison 3-D there;)

You're room sounds awesome...enjoy the movies. And hopefully your "chef" doesn't come armed!

Not at all Jimmy! Sounds very cool! We’ve contemplated some sort of theatre room too but it would just be using an existing room. Yours sounds great! But where are the pictures?! :scratchin:confused:
Pictures shall be forthcoming, now that the cats out of the bag ;) We too had considered using a current room in the house, then the garage thing came up and my brain light turned on(which has been rather dim the last few years)and here we are!

No worries Jimmy...anyone who's spent 10 seconds with you knows that bragging is not part of your nature.

Unless it's about Tammy, the kids or the grandkid...which is perfectly understandable and required! :)

You're room sounds awesome...enjoy the movies. And hopefully your "chef" doesn't come armed!

View attachment 421707
I will keep a vigilant watch out for him as I understand he can be a bit of a loose cannon from time to time :teeth:

No worries Jimmy...anyone who's spent 10 seconds with you knows that bragging is not part of your nature. . . . . . .

I agree Granny . . .it never came to mind when reading Jimmy's description of the improvements in his family's life.

Ha! As keeper of Page 1, if I had a dime every time JT brags about going on yet another trip to the World, or cruising, or DL, I'd be a rich man. pirate:

Okay, just kidding. ;) I just like to poke fun at the guy. . .I do think he should invite all of us to his house for whatever the latest Disney movie is at the time, something like an animated remake of the live action remake of Beauty and the Beast, or Tomorrowland: Yesteryear, or maybe even Pinocchio's Revenge: The Puppet Master Returns. What'd ya say, JT? :jester:

I do think he should invite all of us to his house for whatever the latest Disney movie is at the time, something like an animated remake of the live action remake of Beauty and the Beast, or Tomorrowland: Yesteryear, or maybe even Pinocchio's Revenge: The Puppet Master Returns.

Patrick...sometimes I worry about the directions your mind goes! :crazy2:

:rotfl2:

Thanks for the link to the video, Granny. Those GVs are even nicer looking than the cabins, though lacking the wow factor of the cabins' location, hot tub, and fireplace. However, they're gorgeous--and the points show it.

In other news, I stumbled across an article talking about customer service, and given that Disney often crows about their own, I found it an interesting read. Here's the title:

Everyone Hates Customer Service: This Is Why.
Technology lets companies see how badly they can treat consumers, right up until the moment they bolt

The article can be found in the WSJ, but it's tough to find the entire thing without subscribing, though I managed to do just that. In essence, the article talks about that with the advances in AI and algorithms, companies can now predict the type of customer you are, how angry you are, and how long you are likely to stay on the call/chat before bolting. First, that's kind of scary. I know we're tracked endlessly (I don't frequent FB for more than a few moments a day, but if I've looked into a Class A Widget on Amazon, guess what pops up as an advertisement on my feed?), but this is an altogether different level. Second, we're in an age where most companies don't care that our concerns are answered or solved so much as managed just enough to keep us from dropping their service or product lines. We consumers suffer as companies have shifted their focus from true customer service to "what's the minimum we can do and still keep this person's business?"

Third, I've no doubt Disney subscribes to either a third-person company or has their own built in service that does this. In fact, I'm firmly convinced Disney's customer service mantra now is "industry standard." As I've often said, Disney used to set the standard. Now, they're willing to absorb more bad feedback than ever before and walk us up to that imaginary line before settling on a course to appease the patron. They build more resorts and add less park space; they downplay the imaginative theming in new builds/refurbs; and they make food across the World more homogenized each year. In other words, they push right up to the point where people get angry and let that furor subside before the next round. I am convinced they base their actions on algorithms and AI predictability. Obviously, it works for them. I don't mean this as a diatribe against Disney, just the realization that they now conform to corporate thinking like every other major company.

Anyway, it's a cloudy Monday morning, and I hope all of you Groupies out there have a good week! I finished painting my deck and 185 railing slats. I need to do some minor spot painting, but for all "intensive porpoises," I'm done. And my school year starts tomorrow with my first teacher workday. School itself begins 10 days. . .not. . .ready. . .to. . .go. . .back. . . :surfweb:

Ha! As keeper of Page 1, if I had a dime every time JT brags about going on yet another trip to the World, or cruising, or DL, I'd be a rich man. pirate:

Okay, just kidding. ;) I just like to poke fun at the guy. . .I do think he should invite all of us to his house for whatever the latest Disney movie is at the time, something like an animated remake of the live action remake of Beauty and the Beast, or Tomorrowland: Yesteryear, or maybe even Pinocchio's Revenge: The Puppet Master Returns. What'd ya say, JT? :jester:
All are invited!! popcorn::

11 days till out checkin at OKW!! So excited!!

95 Days until the family trip in November. Lots to do until then.
Our reservation at VWL begins 20 Dec--135 days. . .

Lakegirl...looks like you're leading the way. Have an awesome trip and stay at OKW! :)

My countdown currently says 75 days until our 9 night SSR visit. :yay:

SSR Refurbishment Underway

Looks like SSR will be undergoing refurbishing for many months. It took 18 months to refurb OKW, so I'm guessing SSR will take even longer! Fortunately, the sight of construction walls and scaffolding has been so common the past few years that it doesn't phase me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!