VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

So who is up for their first ride on the Skyliner? My DDL stated early in September that when the family all gathers in The World in November, she absolutely will not ride the Skyliner, as hanging from a cable in the air is just not a thing the good Lord intended her to do. Now with the recent news and videos of the "Delays" on the Skyliner, that sealed the deal on convincing her to try it.

Since my life has been filled with commissioning large equipment with lots of things going at high speed, I had a hard time looking up at the Skyliner deck last May when entering HS due to all of the people walking around with clip boards, yellow vests and hardhats. It was just too much like being back at work, so I had to divert my eyes . . . I had to look away . . . 'cause it was just something I didn't need to see at that moment. I knew what was going on, what everyone was doing, and the layers of management involved during the initial commissioning activities. Believe me, I know what is going on right now, too! Oh brother.

For those that don't know, there are always six stages to any project:

Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Disillusionment
Stage 3 - Panic
Stage 4 - Search for the guilty
Stage 5 - Punishment of the innocent
Stage 6 - Awards and honors for the non-participants

I can only imagine that we are in between Stages 4 & 5 at this time. :confused3

Yep, pretty much any organization that has major projects works like that, Dad! For the military, I would add Stage 7: yearly evaluation speaks glowingly of amazing talent and dedication it took to personally see the project was completed on time and under budget. pirate:

Crawling out from under some stressful weeks to say Hi! I read 4 pages or so to catch up. This school year has been pretty high on the stress meter! I've traveled the past two weekends, once to see DD20, and the other for DH to do a half Ironman race in Augusta, GA. This is the first weekend I've been home to even try to catch up. Survived Grandparent's Day and little girl cheer clinic last week. We had 74, 3-10year old girls in cheer clinic. They performed before the home football game Friday night. Relieved that it's over and no children were harmed in the process! :crazy2: Week after next is homecoming, then two more weeks until cheer competition. Maybe after Christmas it will slow down.

Any news today on the Skyliner? I did see on Facebook where someone had posted that people were stranded on it last night. I couldn't help but think how warm it was in Alabama, it must have really been hot in Florida. I hope no one was seriously injured.

Erin...always great to see you dropping by! Sounds like life has been hectic for you. Don't forget to breathe! And nobody was injured on the Skyliner, just delayed and evacuated.

Hello, groupies! Remember me? I’ll be looking at the posts to see if there will be any groupie meetings the first week of December. I’m taking off work a lot this December, so I can pop over at other dates during December.

WDad...very good to hear from you. We won't be doing the December trip this year as we opted for an October trip instead. But I'm sure there will be a lot of Groupies heading to WDW in early December...keep an eye on Page 1 of this thread for potential meet-ups!

But I'm sure there will be a lot of Groupies heading to WDW in early December...keep an eye on Page 1 of this thread for potential meet-ups!
Yes! At last count, 6 Groupies will be at the World during the first two weeks of December. Only 2 of us there nearing Christmas day itself, and we're only there a couple of nights before our cruise. . .72 days!

. . . . . . . . For the military, I would add Stage 7: yearly evaluation speaks glowingly of amazing talent and dedication it took to personally see the project was completed on time and under budget. pirate:

Ah . . . . . . . you are talking about the Government . . . right?!? :confused3

Thanks for the replies, and research!, about the FtW decorations!
In other news, while riding in the car on Friday on our way up to NJ for a family event, I looked at my email on my phone and saw discounts had been released! I didn't have any of my info with me to crunch the numbers, but I called. Was on hold for around 20 minutes, treating everyone in the car to the tinny sound of Disney music and promos on speaker phone. Bottom line, I got a deluxe studio villa in Copper Creek for around $360.00 less than my Nature view room. I thought this would be a great way to check out CC for our 2022 trip when there will be 4 of us plus our almost 3 year-old granddaughter. Although, I am expecting us to try for a 2BR in VWL. :)

Thanks for the replies, and research!, about the FtW decorations!
In other news, while riding in the car on Friday on our way up to NJ for a family event, I looked at my email on my phone and saw discounts had been released! I didn't have any of my info with me to crunch the numbers, but I called. Was on hold for around 20 minutes, treating everyone in the car to the tinny sound of Disney music and promos on speaker phone. Bottom line, I got a deluxe studio villa in Copper Creek for around $360.00 less than my Nature view room. I thought this would be a great way to check out CC for our 2022 trip when there will be 4 of us plus our almost 3 year-old granddaughter. Although, I am expecting us to try for a 2BR in VWL. :)
Great deal! You can still get over to FW by boat to see the decorations--highly recommended. As for the 2BR--don't do it!! (you'll never want to go back to a studio)

Ah . . . . . . . you are talking about the Government . . . right?!? :confused3
Yep. . .pirate:

I agree with Sleepy . . .how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paris . . . (a 1BR or 2BR!)

DiznyDi likes to "destuff" after a rousing day afoot, and the first table you pass by in any room belongs to her. When in a studio, I get the back half of the dresser for my stuff (can't block the TV don't you know).

I have no complaints about a studio's comforts when there are only two of us; it's just that one can get really used to the space to "destuff" in a 1BR or 2BR. And you can't beat the kitchen space, in room ice maker, or the space for your Kuerig once unpacked from your Owner's Locker. :banana:

We loved our 2BR on our 2014 trip and that's why we want to do that again in 2022. This trip is just my DH and I, so a studio will be perfect. (not planning to cook or do laundry on a 5 day trip) I already know I like the configuration of the dedicated 2BR at VWL, so I am leaning in that direction, but my DD is lobbying, (haha) to be back in the lodge. It's a long way away, so we shall see. Meanwhile, I'm excited about having a new experience in a very familiar place.

I am very curious as to why so many people think the VWL are "dated" and in need of a refurb? I read this online all the time and I thought the last refurb right before our 2014 trip was already considered an update. It has the new floors and updated kitchen appliances. The handles on the bathroom sink were a little loose, as was the toilet seat, but I just figured they may have rushed it a little. Being as everyone here is already a fan, I would be curious to see what your opinions are on these criticisms. If anything needs updating, I would think it would be the lodge rooms.

We all must be planning our upcoming Disney meals and such, as it is like a ghost town on this thread!

Anybody remember when this was the DVC Logo?

View attachment 442921
Pesky work gets in the way, plus we open OUR TOWN tonight, so I've been rehearsing a lot lately. And, yes! I love that logo! The new one is okay, but just okay.
I am very curious as to why so many people think the VWL are "dated" and in need of a refurb? I read this online all the time and I thought the last refurb right before our 2014 trip was already considered an update. It has the new floors and updated kitchen appliances. The handles on the bathroom sink were a little loose, as was the toilet seat, but I just figured they may have rushed it a little. Being as everyone here is already a fan, I would be curious to see what your opinions are on these criticisms. If anything needs updating, I would think it would be the lodge rooms.
I think the dated issue comes from a) how people remember the old rooms, b) the hallways and trim, c) the general Lodge feel even in the lobbies. Personally, I think the old look was just fine as I want themed resorts. I loved the darker, richer colors, the woodsy feel to the furniture, and rough walls, the border around the ceiling. It was classic but it was, admittedly, a darker scheme. Well, I'm in a resort that is supposed to evoke such feelings. Some people also may be referring to the "newer" furniture (talking about you, couches) which never did look new, just bland and, well, dated, like my grandma had picked it out. The rooms aren't all bright and airy still, but they're a darn sight lighter than they were. My fear is the next refurb will totally change the complexion of VWL's rooms, and they'll become akin to CC--lighter and more modern. I think it's inevitable, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. ;)

We all must be planning our upcoming Disney meals and such, as it is like a ghost town on this thread!

Anybody remember when this was the DVC Logo?

View attachment 442921

Ah, the old "3 Mountain" logo...I barely remember it. I think my paperwork and such has the "2 Mountain" logo on it...it was in 2001 so I can't really remember. I think at that time Disney was really pushing the trade-out benefit of DVC to go to other timeshares (in mountains and beaches) but I can't say that I prefer the old logo to the new one. I think the new one is cleaner and lends itself better to clothing, caps, etc.

Blue...I think @sleepydog25 pointed out a lot of the same things I would say. I believe that many people are still thinking of the old "dark" decor that really turned a lot of people off of VWL. Like Sleepy, I really liked the old decor but I'm okay with the current one, though I wish it had more theming elements to it.

If people who have made a recent stay are complaining that VWL needs a refurb, I can only assume that they stayed in a room that is showing some wear and tear? At any of the resorts, there may be rooms whose prior occupants have treated it roughly, and VWL is no exception to that. Any issue we have had has always been promptly addressed by the Maintenance folks.

If someone thinks the current decor is "dated", then I think they have just made up their mind that they don't like VWL. It certainly has a different feel than, for example, CCV which is right next door. That has more to do with the layout than with the furnishings, in my opinion. But I don't see why people would feel that VWL has a dated feel any more than BWV, BCV or even OKW. Those were the original DVC resorts at WDW and as such they are laid out a little differently than some of the newer resorts. But I can't say that I ever feel that any of those resorts feel dated to me.

Ah, the old "3 Mountain" logo...I barely remember it. I think my paperwork and such has the "2 Mountain" logo on it...it was in 2001 so I can't really remember. I think at that time Disney was really pushing the trade-out benefit of DVC to go to other timeshares (in mountains and beaches) but I can't say that I prefer the old logo to the new one. I think the new one is cleaner and lends itself better to clothing, caps, etc. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It isn't that I dislike the new DVC Logo, I just appreciate the old stuff; hopefully as DiznyDi appreciates me. :love2:

And you'll never find me in the pool without my old Logo hat on. Just seems right . . .

I agree with you guys about the criticisms of VWL. I guess people see what they want or expect to see. I am looking forward to my first CCV studio experience, mostly because it's inside the lodge. The last time we stayed inside was 2009! But I will be comparing it to VWL I am sure. I wish there was a way they could have kept the theming and charm while also having the cleanliness of the laminate floors, with a cozy small rug, and modern appliances combined with lodge-style cabinets. Oh well. No one asked us, I guess. :)

Well, I'm back!

One very nice night in a Kidani 2BR with both dinner and breakfast at Sanaa.
Six nights in a CCV cabin.
Two trips to Epcot for Food and Wine.
One MNSSHP.
One final Illuminations.
One first Epcot Forever show.
Two visits to FW.
One visit to SWGE.
One Fuzzy Tauntaun at Oga's.
Two rides on the Skyliner (well, in a way it was six as we checked out all the lines).
One stop at Geyser Point Bar
One stop at Territory Lounge
Two safari rides.
One ROL show (first time I've seen the entire show)

And yes, one water view!

Pictures were not posting correctly from my phone which is what I ended up taking all my pictures with this trip and I've still been trying to figure out how to get them to not rotate to the direction I took them without going thru some convoluted steps. When I figure it out I think I have pictures from most of the things I mentioned.

Well, I'm back!

One MNSSHP.
One final Illuminations.
Two visits to FW.
One visit to SWGE.
Two rides on the Skyliner (well, in a way it was six as we checked out all the lines).
Two safari rides.

And yes, one water view!

Pictures were not posting correctly from my phone which is what I ended up taking all my pictures with this trip and I've still been trying to figure out how to get them to not rotate to the direction I took them without going thru some convoluted steps. When I figure it out I think I have pictures from most of the things I mentioned.
Welcome back home Kathy! You've broken the curse, from here on out it will only be water views :)
Looking forward to your thoughts on the new things (GE, SL... did you break it?, Epcot Forever, and of course the Cabin)

Well, I'm back!

One MNSSHP.
One final Illuminations.
Two visits to FW.
One visit to SWGE.
Two safari rides.

And yes, one water view!

Hooray for water view! Looking forward to your pictures.

Welcome back home Kathy! You've broken the curse, from here on out it will only be water views :)
Looking forward to your thoughts on the new things (GE, SL... did you break it?, Epcot Forever, and of course the Cabin)

Thanks twinklebug and bluecastel! Yep! Just figured out a method to leave the picture orientation the way it should that isn't completely cumbersome. This was the water view I saw every day. Must admit it wasn't quite what I imagined it would be although the ducks were awfully cute diving after things in the sludgy bottom.....

20191005_144817.jpg

:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter