VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Another fan of Trails End here! We loved walking over from WL to breakfast and stopping by to see the horses. We have a ressie for March there, its been awhile and I can't wait, yum :)

Granny
Last night was my 2 week mark for putting in room requests for SSR. I was told once by a CM at DVC that 2 weeks seems to be the sweet spot for those room requests as whoever is behind the scenes doing this plugs in your requests around that time. Our grandson was staying over night with us last night and yesterday was a too busy day to be on hold with DVC, so I took a chance and tried chatting with a DVC member around 7:30 pm. Worked like a charm! She said my requests were already made when I booked but she would make sure they were forwarded to those who need to know.
Dad and Di are to thank from many trips back on which areas to ask for at SSR. We stayed once many moons ago when SSR was small, and just starting out, very near the front area, near the main pool in what I believe would now be a Premium room. We liked it but didn't find it fit our tastes. A few years later it had built up to what we know it to be now, and once again stayed there. Dad and Di suggested the Grandstand area and we knew that was the place to be at their suggestion. We love it over there, a bit removed from the hustle/bustle of the main area, but not so far you cant walk to that area.
My point being, and we hope the the chat last night pans out for our requests. We are only there for 3 nights so not a big deal if not, but will be interested to see how it works out.

Jimmy...you just reminded me how we had to move our trip back and won't be overlapping with you. :sad2: It would have been great to see you and the gang, and maybe enjoy a meal together at Trails End. We'll certainly make our way over there during our trip, and we'll raise a glass of moonshine in your honor!

DDad & Di were kind enough to provide the same recommendation for Grandstand. We'll see how the request works out, but that's not something we stress about. We are rarely in a hurry at WDW, so if we end up in the far flung reaches of SSR for this trip, we'll be fine. We probably will spend a little more time at DS than a typical trip due to its proximity.

It is interesting that I just received an email from Touring Plans that severely reduced the anticipated attendance levels at WDW during our upcoming trip. Most of the changes were at DHS which went from 6-7 levels down to 2-3...I guess Star Wars is off to a very slow start. And heads are already starting to roll. Catherine Powell steps down

Anyone watch the new EPCOT Forever show last night?
I had high hopes for it to be mediocre+, and they missed the mark.

Fireworks at Disney are going to be much better than any you'll find in your home town. The music, narration, dead spots in the show... they all felt off.
I can't help but feel that Disney is selling out story telling and magic for "Slap it together boys! The audience will buy anything as magical."

Anyone like the show? Was anyone there? I'm hoping the kites worked out better in person than they did on my monitor.

Anyone watch the new EPCOT Forever show last night?
I had high hopes for it to be mediocre+, and they missed the mark.

Fireworks at Disney are going to be much better than any you'll find in your home town. The music, narration, dead spots in the show... they all felt off.
I can't help but feel that Disney is selling out story telling and magic for "Slap it together boys! The audience will buy anything as magical."

Anyone like the show? Was anyone there? I'm hoping the kites worked out better in person than they did on my monitor.

@KAT4DISNEY was going to see it this trip. I'll look forward to the review, and to viewing it in person in three weeks.

Cindy...did you like Illuminations a lot? Honestly, it never did much for me so if this new show at least has a little more interesting narrative it will be a plus for me. I've decided that I won't watch it on video until I see it in person so I can go in with a clean slate. :)

I actually really liked Epcot Forever. I liked Illuminations but it was never a favorite. I thought Epcot Forever was whimsical, fun and nostalgic with the addition of former attractions.

We also really liked the original Rivers of Light (tried to see the new version but it was cancelled both times). We are also not huge fans of Fantasmic! HEA - I like but it doesn't tug at my heartstrings like Wishes did.

@KAT4DISNEY was going to see it this trip. I'll look forward to the review, and to viewing it in person in three weeks.

Cindy...did you like Illuminations a lot? Honestly, it never did much for me so if this new show at least has a little more interesting narrative it will be a plus for me. I've decided that I won't watch it on video until I see it in person so I can go in with a clean slate. :)
I liked but didn't adore Illuminations, but at least the music and choreography with the effects were well done. I'll get a kick in the shin for this, but the globe and water fountain parts bored me. I want excitement in my fireworks shows.

I was going to do as you're doing and wait to see it in person, but I'm distracted by timing and coreography the first time I watch new entertainment (ballet, new songs and fireworks). It was best that I get the sound track in my head first.

Last edited:
I liked but didn't adore Illuminations, the music and thought the choreography with the effects were well done. I'll get a kick in the shin for this, but the globe and water fountain parts bored me. I want excitement in my fireworks shows.

I was going to do as you're doing and wait to see it in person, but I'm distracted by timing and coreography the first time I watch new entertainment (ballet, new songs and fireworks). It was best that I get the sound track in my head first.
Was it short? Luv tuned in a bit late to see it all (I was at rehearsal for a show), and said it was over and done before 9:14. . .

Was it short? Luv tuned in a bit late to see it all (I was at rehearsal for a show), and said it was over and done before 9:14. . .
It may be a bit shorter than Illuminations. I think it ran for 12 minutes?
I thought ResortTV1 did a good job filming it, but not sure if they have just the show up or it's their whole walk around vlogging, which I find a bit hard to listen to.

Well the good news for anyone who doesn't care for the new one....it will only last a year! I just read that a new show....called "HarmoniUS"....will take its place some time during 2020. So this is just a one year bridge show.

Which begs the question, why not just continue Illuminations for one more year and then convert to HarmoniUS?

I wanted more Figment, less Aladdin music, but I and the folks with me enjoyed Epcot Forever when we watched it at home last night. We’re four friends, plus DH.

Well the good news for anyone who doesn't care for the new one....it will only last a year! I just read that a new show....called "HarmoniUS"....will take its place some time during 2020. So this is just a one year bridge show.

Which begs the question, why not just continue Illuminations for one more year and then convert to HarmoniUS?
My bet is they wanted to and/or needed to stop the gas line feed for the barge - the new show has no fire elements other than those around the shoreline, and I've heard from an insider that the torches will be going away before the next show starts.

Jimmy...you just reminded me how we had to move our trip back and won't be overlapping with you. :sad2: It would have been great to see you and the gang, and maybe enjoy a meal together at Trails End. We'll certainly make our way over there during our trip, and we'll raise a glass of moonshine in your honor!
In words similar to Yoda:yoda:, "avoiding me, you are":teeth:
I had hoped it would all work out, but alas, here we are. Seriously, hope y'all have great trip, and wish we could have seen you folks too. Just another reason to plan for another time:thumbsup2:goodvibes

We, too, enjoy the Trails End Sunday Brunch! And the camp sites at Christmas time are a sight to see! Take the sleigh ride through the Christmas lights; it is really enjoyable.
Our arrival date at WL is January 2nd. Do you think the campsites will still be decorated or will most of the campers have taken them down by then?

Hi Groupie Friends!:wave:

Well, the wedding weekend was pure magic! From the rehearsal dinner to the main event and then to the farewell brunch, everything was just perfect! :cloud9:

We put my moms house on the market a few weeks ago, and had an offer but the buyer just backed out yesterday, so back to square one! Hoping for some pixie dust to get this settled soon.pixiedust:
It was perfect weather!!

Our arrival date at WL is January 2nd. Do you think the campsites will still be decorated or will most of the campers have taken them down by then?
Can't say for sure, as we have never been there during that period, and I don't know if Disney requires their removal by a certain date.

But I would hope that since New Years is still considered a highlight in the seasonal celebrations, that the decorations in the Campground would still be in full spender!

A quick search of the Mom's Panel uncovered this short exchange from 2018:
When do the people at Fort Wilderness take down their Christmas decorations that are on the camp sights and carts Etc. Do they go well into Jan. Thanks”
Welcome to the Disney Parks Moms Panel, Joseph! I was surprised to arrive last January 3rd with Christmas decorations everywhere I looked! As my trip went on, I slowly watched them disappear until only the standard year-round items were left.

You’ll love to hEAR that you can find holiday decorations at the Parks through the 12th day of Christmas (January 6th) but you may see them start to disappear from Disney Resorts a bit earlier. By the time January 5th came, my lobby and Resort areas at Disney’s Pop Century Resort were nice and clean, devoid of holiday boughs. Magic Kingdom, for one, was still decorated until the 7th. At Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, you can expect to see a little bit of the same. The guest’s carts may be a little plainer after January first, as some folks like to clean up for the New Year.

Blue...as @sleepydog25 indicated, you will want to visit the campsites as soon as you can during your trip. The decorations will diminish each day, and probably pretty dramatically as it gets farther from January 1. We went one time on (my best recollection) January 4 or 5 and the decorations were greatly diminished vs what they had been during Christmas week.

Crawling out from under some stressful weeks to say Hi! I read 4 pages or so to catch up. This school year has been pretty high on the stress meter! I've traveled the past two weekends, once to see DD20, and the other for DH to do a half Ironman race in Augusta, GA. This is the first weekend I've been home to even try to catch up. Survived Grandparent's Day and little girl cheer clinic last week. We had 74, 3-10year old girls in cheer clinic. They performed before the home football game Friday night. Relieved that it's over and no children were harmed in the process! :crazy2: Week after next is homecoming, then two more weeks until cheer competition. Maybe after Christmas it will slow down.

Any news today on the Skyliner? I did see on Facebook where someone had posted that people were stranded on it last night. I couldn't help but think how warm it was in Alabama, it must have really been hot in Florida. I hope no one was seriously injured.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter