VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy, an absolutely fantastic start of the new thread.

I am laying here not able to sleep so what better to do than dream of the lodge. We got quite a lot of the icey mix. My nurse has pretty much been by himself since quite a few could not make it in to work. My husband said we lost power for about an hour. But at the last time I talked to him around 6:00 pm yesterday it was still coming down at a steady pace. It is not supposed to get very high in temperature today but by the end of the week we are supposed to be back in the 70's. Go figure.

They are trying to get me moved to rehab today (we will see) no later than tomorrow. Please stay safe and warm, groupies.

Here are a few more shots as promised on the old thread
Anyone know where this pic was taken, hint, its in AdventurelandA few shots from SoarinCapt.D in his dream car(he is saving his money for it)This guy has the right idea, move into Living with the Land

JT, is the one pic from the gift shop after POC? That's about the only thing I can figure. Schools closed here today even though there is no snow. . .yet. We are supposed to get anywhere from a coating to 3" depending on how far the cold air drops. Points just an hour north of us already have measurable snow.

To everyone who has complimented me on the start of the new thread, I sincerely thank you. It's clear I had some big shoes to fill from past threads, and my intent was to not mess up the opening page. The opening comments are heartfelt and easy to write since they are true--we do have a wonderful group of friends and family. I've been around the DIS the better part of a decade, and I've truly never seen a more grateful group for the friendship, camaraderie, and respect freely given to each other.

In the immortal words of Spock, live long and prosper. :)

Sleepy That pic is actually taken in a room next to Tortugas Tavern, near the restrooms, close to one of The Sorcerors Game locations

Its snowing here, I wanna go back to FL:headache:

Good afternoon Groupies! :cool1:

I was really bored over the weekend, and it wasn't nice enough to go do anything - so I started packing! :yay: We still have over a month to go, but I was tired of waiting and figured I wouldn't be needing sundresses and shorts any time soon anyway :rolleyes:

We got our ME documents in the mail, and are just waiting for our Magic Bands!

So excited I can hardly stand it. I really need out of this cold. :worried:

Good afternoon Groupies! :cool1:

I was really bored over the weekend, and it wasn't nice enough to go do anything - so I started packing! :yay: We still have over a month to go, but I was tired of waiting and figured I wouldn't be needing sundresses and shorts any time soon anyway :rolleyes:

We got our ME documents in the mail, and are just waiting for our Magic Bands!

So excited I can hardly stand it. I really need out of this cold. :worried:
Heather, Heather, Heather, Heather. . .you've got it bad, don't you? Of course, I'm envious of you!! No trips planned here for another five months. . .that's right, FIVE months. Sigh.

JT: Well, Tortuga's Tavern is really in the same general vicinity as POC, so that makes me kinda correct, right? ;) Enjoyed the pics!

Crikety Crike! I new thread!!! Great job Sly! :)

Hiya Groupies! I have missed you all. :wave:

Happy Belated Birthday Muush

Maria~ I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle.

I cancelled our March trip a few months ago due to all that is going on here...son # 2 graduating in May, Son # 1 getting married in July....we were being grown-up and practical;), but boy, do I wish we were heading there in 13 days. :sad2:

Corinne

Heather, Heather, Heather, Heather. . .you've got it bad, don't you? Of course, I'm envious of you!! No trips planned here for another five months. . .that's right, FIVE months. Sigh.

JT: Well, Tortuga's Tavern is really in the same general vicinity as POC, so that makes me kinda correct, right? ;) Enjoyed the pics!

It's pathetic really :laughing: I always look forward to our trips, but this one is coming at the end of a very looooooong winter and I desperately need to get out of my house. :lmao:

Also, I am going down for a wedding AND this is my first trip with an Owners Locker - so I am panicky that I won't have everything I want to bring. :eek: This is a long list of 'stuff' this time :faint:

Crikety Crike! I new thread!!! Great job Sly! :)

Hiya Groupies! I have missed you all. :wave:

Happy Belated Birthday Muush

Maria~ I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle.

I cancelled our March trip a few months ago due to all that is going on here...son # 2 graduating in May, Son # 1 getting married in July....we were being grown-up and practical;), but boy, do I wish we were heading there in 13 days. :sad2:

Corinne

Sorry you had to cancel Corinne. What a bummer, but at least it sounds like you have an exciting few months to look forward to! :banana:

first trip with an Owners Locker - so I am panicky that I won't have everything I want to bring.

I don't mean to intrude, but this may of some help or it may be over the top too. Last year DW and I got set up with our DVC owner locker (and my golf clubs!) and she seemed a bit overwhelmed with what to pack. You may know this already but there are packing lists and suggestions on their website for establishing a locker and what is popular to get started. I even called there and spoke to the owner. His name is John as I recall. He answered the phone when I called, and was very kind and helpful.

Anyway I went to the UPS store and purchased a box with the approximate same dimensions as the purple box and then we packed it in our kitchen and shipped to VWL (along with the clubs), and claimed it all at check in. They brought up everything on a cart to the room ($20 tip), and it was as simple as unpacking it all. When it was time to go home the purple box arrived and we packed it up and left for the airport. Very easy and convenient. Now our stuff and more importantly my clubs will be waiting for us when we arrive.

BTW the is a Publix grocery south in Celebration and I believe another north. I looked at a map online. I am going to go exploring this year. I think if you turn right at the main road with traffic light when leaving VWL, the road takes you under the water way and tunnels up by the Contemporary, and on out past Space Mountain. Once you get off property there is a Publix close by. That may be a good place to restock supplies in the owners locker too.

Good luck!

For the love of great googley-moogley! More snow? More ice? More single digit temperatures?

Well, even our mascot shows up on a nice, frost-bite kind of day!

That's a picture from a couple of years ago, but still appropriate to today's conditions.

Stay warm Groupies....only four weeks until Opening Day!! :cool1:

:cheer2:

We'll likely watch the Oscars off and on through the night. I used to follow the race much closer in years past, even hosting a party one year. Anymore, we don't get around to seeing most of the nominated movies in any given year, so we're not too hyped about the awards show. Emma Thompson was robbed in not getting a nomination--she absolutely deserved a nod. That's reason alone to snub watching the Oscars in my book. I'm guessing Gravity will take home the lion's share of the awards, though 12 Years a Slave will likely grab a couple, too.

So we enjoyed the show - always like Ellen and she did a nice job. They did change up the production of the show but I think it had some nice tributes to movies in it. And thankfully they did not honor any agents this year in the tribute to people who passed away. :rolleyes: The performance of Let it Go by Idina Menzel was very good although I thought she seemed more than a little nervous. Pharrell Williams gave a very good performance of his catchy tune but I couldn't get over the fact that according to the introduction he's one of the "coolest" people around. Large misshapen hat, track jacket and red galoshes or tennis shoes (DH and I couldn't decide). It's a little different cool than years ago and, for example, the cool and debonair Cary Grant. :rotfl:

Ok, so we are back from our nine wonderful nights at the villas without stepping into a park once! We absolutely fell in love with the Lodge! We didn't get a refurbished studio, but I think I am glad we didn't. We will be back, so we will be able to see the differences next time. We were ground floor but right by the pool, perfect. I thought my DH had requested high floor, but he said he just asked for pool/lake side, near the elevators. I can understand why everyone here loves this place so much. I knew we would love it, we spend two weeks every year up in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area in our trailer, so it felt like home. Since it was mentioned that you all love pictures, I have just a couple that you may enjoy. Hoping I'm doing this right! DH "working" by the pool!

6ce75b538f467eea05b9e1cf9730c9de_zps4b1592d9.jpg

The beloved buffalo, apparently with a shave from the pic posted in first couple posts do this thread

7d6eb75889923e02b68f9ad91184fe50_zps0d1cb3c8.jpg

Can't wait to go back! It may be a while, as we have reservations now at Aulani and Vero :beach: ahead of us, but we will be back!

Ok, so we are back from our nine wonderful nights at the villas without stepping into a park once! We absolutely fell in love with the Lodge! We didn't get a refurbished studio, but I think I am glad we didn't. We will be back, so we will be able to see the differences next time. We were ground floor but right by the pool, perfect. I thought my DH had requested high floor, but he said he just asked for pool/lake side, near the elevators. I can understand why everyone here loves this place so much. I knew we would love it, we spend two weeks every year up in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area in our trailer, so it felt like home.

Can't wait to go back! It may be a while, as we have reservations now at Aulani and Vero :beach: ahead of us, but we will be back!

So glad that you had a fantastic time at our beloved resort, and thanks so much for the great pictures! :thumbsup2

Funny how the theming appeals/repels various people. I've heard some from "up North" say that the Lodge is too much like home, while you feel that it reminds you of some of your favorite trips.

So...what was your main way of occupying your time since you did a no-park trip? I think VWL works very well for that kind of trip since you aren't within quick walking distance to a park (unlike BLT or BWV/BC for instance) to make you want to jump in for a quick hour or two. If I were going to WDW and no parks in the plans, I can't imagine a better place than VWL.

Hey Groupies...I took the big techno step tonight and actually did a FP+ reservation and even an ADR for our May trip. I don't think we'll do too many reservations for FP but I wanted to play around with the site.

I find the My Disney Experience site to be quite a challenge to navigate...not intuitive at all and it never seems like I know if I'm doing something for just me or if I was including my DW. Just not an easy site IMHO.

But, it looks like I got our AP vouchers matched up and we snagged a late night (9:00 pm) dinner at Be Our Guest...the ONLY available time during our entire 11 night stay.

Other than that, I think we'll just wing it for the most part. But hitting the 60 day mark sure felt good with the weather we are having!

So...what was your main way of occupying your time since you did a no-park trip? I think VWL works very well for that kind of trip since you aren't within quick walking distance to a park (unlike BLT or BWV/BC for instance) to make you want to jump in for a quick hour or two. If I were going to WDW and no parks in the plans, I can't imagine a better place than VWL.

We have done no parks trips at Kidani as well, love that resort too. I guess I'm just a dark woods kinda gal.
To answer your question, DH and I did a four mile walk every morning to and around Ft Wilderness followed by a workout in the fitness center. Then DH would work while I usually relaxed/read by the pool. We were lucky and had amazing weather the whole trip! We did a lot of resort hopping in the evenings for dinners and on the weekend when he wasn't working. We checked out AoA, we had never been there. Also checked out the models at VGF. Checked out the stables at Ft Wilderness where we saw the blacksmiths shoeing horses, movies at different resorts in the evenings, monorail bar crawl, Jellyrolls, Hoop Dee Doo and of course did the lodge tour!
There is so much to do, we were never bored, I would go back and do it all again....now!

Thanks Corinne---I very much appreciate it.

Sorry you had to cancel----but congrats to your family on the graduation and wedding!

I made the final payment to Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings today! We are 30 days out....can't believe it!!!!

I don't mean to intrude, but this may of some help or it may be over the top too. Last year DW and I got set up with our DVC owner locker (and my golf clubs!) and she seemed a bit overwhelmed with what to pack. You may know this already but there are packing lists and suggestions on their website for establishing a locker and what is popular to get started. I even called there and spoke to the owner. His name is John as I recall. He answered the phone when I called, and was very kind and helpful.

Anyway I went to the UPS store and purchased a box with the approximate same dimensions as the purple box and then we packed it in our kitchen and shipped to VWL (along with the clubs), and claimed it all at check in. They brought up everything on a cart to the room ($20 tip), and it was as simple as unpacking it all. When it was time to go home the purple box arrived and we packed it up and left for the airport. Very easy and convenient. Now our stuff and more importantly my clubs will be waiting for us when we arrive.

BTW the is a Publix grocery south in Celebration and I believe another north. I looked at a map online. I am going to go exploring this year. I think if you turn right at the main road with traffic light when leaving VWL, the road takes you under the water way and tunnels up by the Contemporary, and on out past Space Mountain. Once you get off property there is a Publix close by. That may be a good place to restock supplies in the owners locker too.

Good luck!

You aren't intruding at all! I appreciate and welcome ALL advice! :cool1:

I thought about shipping everything down, and that very well may happen if I can't get it all to fit in my lugggage. Fortunately, we are flying SW and get the free checked bags, and my friend who is getting married is driving down. They said that we can send some things down with them, but I feel kind of guilty. I know that she has a MILLION other things to worry about, so I feel bad piling on. :guilty: But, I am also a little nervous about the shipping costs to send all this stuff down there :scared: I have stock piled a LOT of stuff :laughing:

We'll see what happens.... This is another reason I started packing so early. :cheer2:

Well, even our mascot shows up on a nice, frost-bite kind of day!

That's a picture from a couple of years ago, but still appropriate to today's conditions.

Stay warm Groupies....only four weeks until Opening Day!! :cool1:

:cheer2:

:rotfl: Poor Moosie!

We have done no parks trips at Kidani as well, love that resort too. I guess I'm just a dark woods kinda gal.
To answer your question, DH and I did a four mile walk every morning to and around Ft Wilderness followed by a workout in the fitness center. Then DH would work while I usually relaxed/read by the pool. We were lucky and had amazing weather the whole trip! We did a lot of resort hopping in the evenings for dinners and on the weekend when he wasn't working. We checked out AoA, we had never been there. Also checked out the models at VGF. Checked out the stables at Ft Wilderness where we saw the blacksmiths shoeing horses, movies at different resorts in the evenings, monorail bar crawl, Jellyrolls, Hoop Dee Doo and of course did the lodge tour!
There is so much to do, we were never bored, I would go back and do it all again....now!

I'm a dark woods kinda gal too, :thumbsup2 Kidani is one of my favorites along with the Lodge :cloud9:

Thanks for all the recommendations (and the photos!) Sounds like you guys had an amazing trip! I always want to do a 'no parks' trip, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. Not yet anyway. At least I know there's always more than enough to keep us busy :cool1:

Ok, so we are back from our nine wonderful nights at the villas without stepping into a park once! We absolutely fell in love with the Lodge! We didn't get a refurbished studio, but I think I am glad we didn't. We will be back, so we will be able to see the differences next time. We were ground floor but right by the pool, perfect. I thought my DH had requested high floor, but he said he just asked for pool/lake side, near the elevators. I can understand why everyone here loves this place so much. I knew we would love it, we spend two weeks every year up in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area in our trailer, so it felt like home. Since it was mentioned that you all love pictures, I have just a couple that you may enjoy. Hoping I'm doing this right! DH "working" by the pool!

6ce75b538f467eea05b9e1cf9730c9de_zps4b1592d9.jpg

The beloved buffalo, apparently with a shave from the pic posted in first couple posts do this thread

7d6eb75889923e02b68f9ad91184fe50_zps0d1cb3c8.jpg

Worth seeing those pics again, and thanks so much for sharing. The Lodge has a calm majesty about it, and it's where I long to be when I'm in FL. :thumbsup2

Love the frozen Moosie, Granny!

Maria, it's hard to believe the day is so close. What a great way to make March disappear, and after this long winter, I think we're all ready for warm spring and summer months to get here.

DVCTigger
I could see us doing a no parks VWL stay:thumbsup2 Cant think of a better place to chill out:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter