VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition), updated 10 Sep 19

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
:welcome: to the absolutely friendliest, most familial, and genuinely nice group of folks on the DIS! If you've just stumbled upon our thread or been directed here by another, we hope you'll join our happy band. Just below, you'll see floor plans and room numbers for both Copper Creek and VWL, courtesy of GrandCalifornian and Granny, respectively. In particular, Copper Creek is a work in progress as they've just recently added to the inventory. (Speaking of a work in progress, the photos of our revered Lodge disappeared overnight. Hey, business is business, and we get that. We'll be working to update our pictures below in the near future, and we've left a note with a bit more explanation where the photos are supposed to be.)

Speaking of, the Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge (CCVC) have been completed and have been open to guests for two years. As most know, the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge (VWL) have been renamed Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge or BRV. (However, most of us on this thread will continue to call it VWL because it's in our DNA and because, no offense, Boulder Ridge is just a silly name ;)). Regardless, this thread is open to ALL who have a love of the Lodge. Whether you just bought at Copper Creek, already own VWL (aka BRV), own at another resort, OR don't own any DVC at all but still love the Lodge, you are welcome to join our happy band of brothers and sisters.

The common, ahem, thread that connects us is our love of the Lodge. That's the only requisite for membership in our group (well, there is that pesky $50 initiation fee, payable to moi, in small, unmarked bills--unlike DVC, our prices have remained static). Groupies love the serenity of VWL and Copper Creek, as they are places to recharge our internal batteries after a day spent with 10,000 of our closest friends in a park: sitting in rockers with a favored beverage in hand; taking in Happily Ever After from Geyser Point Bar & Grill; catching a movie on family nights; relaxing in the new pool (or the old pool now called Copper Creek); playing checkers in the quiet calm of the Villas lobby; watching awe-struck faces of first-time Lodge visitors as they walk into the main lobby; listening to the most majestic resort background music ever; strolling the grounds with your significant other in the evening; or simply listening to the sound of crickets along the walkway as the lanterns flicker overhead. There is something in the air at VWL, Copper Creek, and the Lodge that stirs the soul, something that conjures images of a simpler, more relaxing time. These memories keep us coming back time and again.

Although many of our group are experts in all things VWL and gladly share their knowledge, we don't exist merely as a compendium of facts and figures. We who inhabit this thread have become true friends--even family--over the years. We celebrate the special times together just as we offer respite and strength in more somber moments. We're a positive bunch who found a unique and safe place to share triumphs, heartbreaks, memories, and pictures. . .lots and lots of pictures. . .we love pictures. Hint, hint. So, we hope you'll join in, or in the case of our current cast of characters (don't you love alliteration?), continue to share. Pull up a rocker, grab a libation, and set a spell (spittoon optional). See you 'round the fireplace!

Oh, I almost forgot. . .if you'd like to share your trip dates, whether to VWL or any other Disney resort or a cruise, please send me a PM. You'll see a collection of those dates further below on this page.

Regardless of how you found us, this thread will continue to promote those ideals of family and friendship to all who find their way here. May Moosie dust precede you on your journey. pixiedust:

For a look at the room numbers, locations, and types, please scroll down to the diagrams below provided by GrandCalifornian. Thank you, GC!!

Thanks to the efforts of Granny and Flossbolna (hereafter christened Flossy ;)), I've included a compendium of previous Groupie Threads that date back to our humble beginnings. Grab a coffee, tea, or something stronger; sit back; and have a leisurely read through the pages of history, history, history, history. . .

November 22, 2006 The VWL Groupies & Trivia Thread

April 17, 2008 ***The VWL Groupies & Trivia Thread*** Chapter 2!

June 2, 2009 http://www.disboards.com/threads/were-baaaaack-the-wlvs-groupies-trivia-thread-chapter-3.2045682/

June 18, 2010 VWL Lovers & Groupies thread: It all started with a Moose

May 5, 2011 VWL Lovers & Groupies Thread: Meese-ka, Mice-ka MOOSE-kateers

April 10, 2012 VWL Groupies...yes, we love the Lodge!!

October 22, 2012 The VWL Groupies and Lovers Thread-It started with a MOOSE [This one really doesn't count...it was a mistake as the moderators didn't notice that we had shut down an older thread]

March 5, 2013 VWL Groupies...yes, we love the Lodge, a lot!!

HOWDY, FOLKS! IT APPEARS OUR FOREST FRIENDS--THE MERCANTILE TOTEM FOUR--TEMPORARILY ESCAPED AND ATE OUR PICTURES BELOW. HAVE NO FEAR, MANAGEMENT IS AWARE OF THE SITUATION AND IS WORKING TIRELESSLY. . .WELL, CONSCIENTIOUSLY. . .UMMM. . .WELL, THEY KNOW ABOUT IT AND WILL FIX IT WHEN THEY GET TIME. MEANWHILE, PLEASE ENJOY THE REST OF PAGE 1, AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN OUR GROUPIES. THE ONLY COST FOR MEMBERSHIP IS A LOVE OF THE LODGE!

Flowers still there in season. . .

The main pool and the Bear Face

Old Bearful Geyser!

Geyser Point

Overlooking the main pool (Luv and I were married on this patio area!)

I left this picture of Artist Point, though it is now a character meal. It was a very sentimental spot for us, so like the picture of Ranger Stan below, this shot is mostly here for posterity.

One of the entrances to the new pool (on the VWL side)

Looking toward the right wing of the main Lodge (now home to the Copper Creek suites) along the new "path" that used to be grass and trees--I call it Bear Bare Boulevard. Pool entrance in last picture is just past the big pine on the right; that's the VWL wing on your left.

Taken from the path that passes by all the cabins--not to be confused with Bear Bare Boulevard which is to the far left and runs parallel to this path. Nicely landscaped and lush feeling. That's the main Lodge in the background, but this is only around Cabin #2019 or so. Thus, there are still another 5 or 6 cabins even farther away behind me.

A shot we don't often see, but this is from a 5th floor of a 1BR on the bus side of VWL

DVC Mickey is back! However, he is in a little different spot than before, though fairly close to the original position.

Further, the bison are back! They can now be seen and petted by taking the sidewalk between the VWL building and the south wing of the main Lodge (part of the new Copper Creek resort now). They're resting near the confluence of that walkway and those leading to both Geyser Point and the new pool. This new locale is actually a more intimate one. Sadly, the geese remain MIA. (Ignore the goob in the picture--he photobombed the shot).

I didn't want to forget a link to our beginnings. . .Ranger Stan. Luv and I never knew him, but I bet we'd have loved him, too. Many of our Groupies have very fond memories of Stan, and quite a few swear he quietly walks the hallways and lobbies late at night, keeping watch over his beloved Lodge.

Courtesy of @Granny, here is a layout of the room numbers in our beloved VWL (as it will be known forever to many of us). Same list is on Page 752 of this thread.

Courtesy of @GrandCalifornian!! Here are layouts for the DVC rooms in the main Lodge, AKA the Copper Creek Villas, which he has compiled by walking the halls, the grounds, and based upon other factors such as the declared inventory. Many thanks to GC for his untiring efforts. He's still making a few adjustments and updates, and we'll bring those to you as he does.

Last edited:

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
2019 & 2020 DVC and Other Vacations

If you'd like to be included on this list - please just PM me!

February
jimmytammy 31 Jan- 4 Feb Outrigger Reef Waikiki
jimmytammy 4-10 Aulani
jimmytammy 10-15 VGC 1st time to DL "to walk the park where Walt influenced so much."
wildernessDad 8-10 Poly

March
Luvvwl & Sleepydog 2-5 VB Checking out the area!
Luvvwl & Sleepydog 5-9 CCVC Flower & Garden festival--Sleepy's 1st trip in two years :scared1:
wildernessDad 8-10 BWV

April
KAT4DISNEY 2-9 VGF

May
DiznyDi & Dad 3-10 VWL
Granny 4-11 VWL
LVSWL 4-11 VWL
Corinne 6-11 BLT First time at BLT!

June

ArielSRL 8-16 VWL

July
sleepydog25 & luvvwl 5-6 HHI First time for Luv!!
DizDaD7 9-14 AKV
DizDaD7 14-19 VWL

August
KAT4DISNEY 8-11 VGC No more earthquakes, please!
Lakegirl 16-21 OKW
Lakegirl 21-13 AKL Jambo

September
KAT4DISNEY 28 Sep-5 Oct AKV first night then VWL One last Illuminations and Welcome new Epcot fireworks!

October

jimmytammy 15-18 SSR Pre-cruise, non-park stay, closer to DS
Granny 21-30 SSR Food & Wine Festival time!
Twinklebug 22-29 AKV Jambo

November
DiznyDi & Dad 10-17 SSR Family vacation time
DiznyDi & Dad 17-22 SSR R&R after said family vacation :rotfl2:
wildernessDad 28-30 AKL Kidani
PeterPanFan123 28-8 Dec VWL The holidays at the Lodge!

December

PoohBears#1fan 30 Nov - 7 Dec CCV Home for the holidays!
wildernessDad 1-6 VWL
cellomom 2-7 CCV First holiday trip to new home!
Corinne 2-7 VWL
jimmytammy 2-7 Pop Century Pre-VWL stay cuz it's cheaper than offsite!
jimmytammy 7-14 VWL Second trip for grandson; 3rd for DSIL!
bobbiwoz 10-14 VWL Girls trip with friends!
wildernessDad 19-21 Riviera Grand villa time!
Luvvwl & Sleepydog 20-22 VWL Pre-Christmas cruise
Luvvwl & Sleepydog 27 Poly Day after cruise stay

2020 Trips
March
Luvvwl & Sleepydog 1-6 SSR Escaping the cold trip

2019 & 2020 Cruising Groupies

January
twokats Magic Bahamas

May

bobbiwoz West Coast Member Cruise

September

twokats Magic New York/Canada

October

bobbiwoz Bermuda Member Cruise
jimmytammy 19-27 Fantasy

December
Sleepydog & Luvvwl 23-27 Dream Christmas cruise!

September
jimmytammy 6-20 Magic BtB for 30th anniversary! Europe here we come!

Again - to be included on any of the above lists - PLEASE - just PM me! Thanks!

Last edited:
  • jimmytammy

<font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br
    Birthdays and Anniversaries
    Please PM me if you would like to add your dates to this page. Special shout out to twokats for this page as she did all the work, I just copied her;)
    In the past, several of us have taken the helm and made sure all participants were recognized on their special day. As of July, 2018, we have decided to relinquish those duties. Over the years things have changed, and many have come and gone to this thread(and all the older versions)so we find ourselves often handing out best wishes with no acknowledgment. All folks are welcome to continue wishing the best in each scenario publicly here or privately by PM, in fact we encourage it!

January

Eliza61... 1
    Bobbiwoz (Bobbi)... 3
    Sleepydog... 11
    Blossomz... 13
    Twokats (Kathy) and Claire_ont... 25...Two-fer!
    JimmyTammy (Jimmy)... 28
    Disney Loving Iowan... 29

February

WildernessDad... 4
    puppytrainer... 12
    davish562...13
    Cheer4Bison... 14
    Nicoal13 AKA Nicole... 16
    gabriellyn...20
    APiratesLifeForMe2...21
    DisneyFreaks... 22

March

Muushka... 1
    Rental01... 3
    Icecoldpenguin (Teresa) 10
    Inkmahm... 19
    Horselover (Julie)... 26
    LeslieLou... 28

April

Granny... 12
    Tea Pot & DisneyNutzy... 18
    Luvvwl... 22
    DiznyDi... 23

May

franandaj ... 1
    Loribell... 3
    DiznyDad!!! ... 7
    Rusafee1183... 11
    Maria (MiaSRN62)... 23
    sechem32 (Liz) ... 28

June

Corinne... 6
    KAT4DISNEY... 11
    The Hubs (Jerry of TCRAIG) June 30

July

brobrosmom... 10
    lisah0711... 11
    DVC Jen...12
    deebits AKA Deirdre...17
    DaveH... 26
    BWV Dreamin... 31

August

TammyNC... 15
    DynaGuy... 20
    CaptainD... 26

September

princesskat (Kati) ... 19

October

stopher1 ... 4

November

Flossbolna...6
    TCRAIG (Tricia) Nov 6
    MaryJ & twinmom108... 10...another two-fer

December

twinklebug... 6
    Mickeymorse... 15
    WDWRR_ENGINEER... 29

Anniversaries

Stopher. . . March 12

DisneyFreaks. . .April 8

Muushka . . . April 25, 1992

Rusafee1183. . . . May 3, 2008

TCRAIG(Tricia and The Hubs Jerry). . . May 10, 1980

Jimmy/Tammy . . . May 12, 1990

APiratesLifeForMe2(Amanda and Brian) May 25

Twokats (Kathy & Le) . . . May 26, 1984

Bobbiwoz. . . . June 1, 1968

DiznyDad & DiznyDi . . . June 21, 1975

Audipolo & Icecoldpenguin (AKA Greg & Teresa)... July 1, 2012

Sleepydog & Luv. . . July 5, 2013

twinmom108 . . . July 20, 1991

gabriellyn...August 26

sechem32 & wfc4life . . . October 05, 2003

DVC Jen . . . December 6, 1986

Inkmahm & Dynaguy. . . December 23, 2003

Last edited:

Muushka

<font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped
    Great job Sleepy! I love what you've done with the place,. :thumbsup2

rusafee1183

DVC Owner Since 2012!
    Thanks for sprucing up the place Sleepy and JT. :goodvibes It's cozy enough to move right in now! :thumbsup2 Great job!!!

And you mentioned my absolute favorite part of the Lodge, Sly. The flickering lanterns and crickets signing at dusk. Absolute heaven :lovestruc:cloud9::lovestruc:cloud9:

Granny

Yeah, I'm a guy
    Last edited:

jimmytammy

Great job sly!! Love it, you took it, made your own, and we will love watching it soar to new heights!!

KAT4DISNEY

Glad to be a test subject
    Very nice Sleepy Dog! Thanks for the new thread!!!

Ok, gotta ask - were there new glasses sent out that I missed out on? All right, just say it - "Kat, you're getting old and need those cheaters around your neck!" :rotfl: Golden years - Hmmmph.

DiznyDi

If you remember, we are the rural folks
    Love how our new home is being refurbed! Looks great! Plenty of room for lots of family and extended family! Thanks sleepy for getting us started!
    ...and away we go...!

Dizny Dad

DiznyDi Fan
    Well Goooooooooollllllllllieeeey.

Sleepy - you brought tears to my eyes!! You have not only done a great job building upon those wonderful groupies that have blazed the trail before you, but you have put into words the way we all feel about our beloved Lodge and thread!

When I can't be sitting in the Carolwood Pacific Room myself, I retreat to the safety of this thread. There isn't anyone I wouldn't bow to or trust with my feelings in this thread. I have come to love all, old voices and new enthusiasts of the Lodge.

So many times in the last 18 months, when so busy trying to "herd all the cats" on a billion dollar job site, I have lurked among all of you, reading your tales, heading your advice, laughing at the adventures, and crying with the trials.

Sleepy, THANKS for picking up the baton, leading the way, setting the story straight, and prepping us for another great round at the virtual Lodge!

PoohsFan1

DIS Veteran
    WooHoo a new thread :cool1:. I didn't want to miss out so I came over to say hi. We will be at VWL in 2 months and 3 weeks....we are so excited for our stay there. I know that there has been a lot of talk about the new Studios, but since we haven't stayed in the villas side before, we don't know what we will be missing (if we do get a new refurbed room that is). If we do get a new room (we are staying in a Studio BTW), I know my kids will love the murphy bed and will probably be switching off using it each night.

Sleepydog25, I was hoping maybe you could update us on the guest list...originally we were going to stay at POR from 5/23-5/26, but now we are staying at BC during those dates. Also, we added a night during our VWL stay so we are now checking out on 6/2 (flying out on Sunday got to be outrageous in price):goodvibes. Thank you so much for all that you do....everything looks great and I can't wait to read more, plus I love all the photos....they are really getting me excited for our trip (I don't know how much more excited I can be :goodvibes).

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
    WooHoo a new thread :cool1:. I didn't want to miss out so I came over to say hi. We will be at VWL in 2 months and 3 weeks....we are so excited for our stay there. I know that there has been a lot of talk about the new Studios, but since we haven't stayed in the villas side before, we don't know what we will be missing (if we do get a new refurbed room that is). If we do get a new room (we are staying in a Studio BTW), I know my kids will love the murphy bed and will probably be switching off using it each night.

Sleepydog25, I was hoping maybe you could update us on the guest list...originally we were going to stay at POR from 5/23-5/26, but now we are staying at BC during those dates. Also, we added a night during our VWL stay so we are now checking out on 6/2 (flying out on Sunday got to be outrageous in price):goodvibes. Thank you so much for all that you do....everything looks great and I can't wait to read more, plus I love all the photos....they are really getting me excited for our trip (I don't know how much more excited I can be :goodvibes).
    Done! :thumbsup2

KAT4DISNEY

Glad to be a test subject
    Is anyone going to be watching the Oscars tonight? It's pretty much an annual event here and DH and I are finalizing our ballots. We both still think Saving Mr. Banks was just as deserving as most of the other films to get more nods. Especially Emma Thompson in her role. And both of us are quite puzzled at the talk that Gravity has moved to the top for best picture. We enjoyed it, but really? There isn't much else in the nominations that I see becoming classics either however so I guess it might as well be Gravity. Couldn't pick it on my ballot though.

I finally saw Frozen on the plane yesterday. Very cute! I now have some idea of why the line is 3 hours long to visit with Anna and Elsa. :faint: It didn't jump in to become my favorite Disney animated movie of recent years but it was good and goes on my list to win the Oscar. :thumbsup2

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
    We'll likely watch the Oscars off and on through the night. I used to follow the race much closer in years past, even hosting a party one year. Anymore, we don't get around to seeing most of the nominated movies in any given year, so we're not too hyped about the awards show. Emma Thompson was robbed in not getting a nomination--she absolutely deserved a nod. That's reason alone to snub watching the Oscars in my book. I'm guessing Gravity will take home the lion's share of the awards, though 12 Years a Slave will likely grab a couple, too.

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
    For the love of great googley-moogley! More snow? More ice? More single digit temperatures? Tomorrow. And then another shot come Thu/Fri. I surrender. I give up. I'm waving the white flag already. Luv and I have decided to move south come four and a half years from now. I cannot take these monumentally sucky winters much longer.

I know friends north of me have had it worse, but I ain't talking about them right now. Okay, I've finished venting for now. . .:crazy2:

bluecastle

DIS Veteran
    For the love of great googley-moogley! More snow? More ice? More single digit temperatures? Tomorrow. And then another shot come Thu/Fri. I surrender. I give up. I'm waving the white flag already. Luv and I have decided to move south come four and a half years from now. I cannot take these monumentally sucky winters much longer.

I know friends north of me have had it worse, but I ain't talking about them right now. Okay, I've finished venting for now. . .:crazy2:
    Right there with you. Schools and Federal gov't closed tomorrow. Guess I can stay up late and watch the Oscars. Must remember to leave hot water trickling overnight in the downstairs bathroom. Hope we don't lose power!! More time for the DIS tomorrow. :)

jimmytammy

sleepy
    Im with you on the icing and snow, I tried to bring the warm air with us yesterday, lasted one day:confused3

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
    sleepy
    Im with you on the icing and snow, I tried to bring the warm air with us yesterday, lasted one day:confused3
    I did manage to get out and golf a little. . .only to have my new ride's batteries die as I hadn't charged them overnight. Oops.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

BUY DVC

SELL DVC

DVC POINT CHARTS

DIS PODCASTS