VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hi Groupies,

Well, after waiting and checking fates incessantly, we finally got our return flight for May 11! This is really “last minute” for us but the fares have been exorbitant! Anyway, I called Member Services to schedule Magical Express for the return to MCO. While on the phone I mentioned we had not yet received our ME confirmation (or magic bands for that matter), but I said once I mentioned it they’ll arrive today. :)

Instead, she said she could not see our reservation - despite the fact I received an email confirmation when I booked. Further, she could not see an order for our Magic Bands. She went ahead and took care of everything (I :love: Member Services)! I suspect the problem must have occurred because we were initially set to stay at SSR our first night.

At any rate, it’s been a busy Saturday morning, and I am super excited for our trip! 23 Days!:flower1::yay:
So happy for you. Did the fares go down much? What airline did you go with? They have been so high out of Boston.

We have our August trip coming up and the we had planned on April school vacation 2020, but now we are thinking February vacation instead. I looked at two bedrooms that week and many are already booked up so that has me thinking it maybe super busy.

Hi all, long time listener, first time caller!

Bisney...welcome to the VWL Groupies thread! welcome3.gif

My responses to your questions are in green font below:

• Is there any construction scheduled around Thanksgiving 2019? I've been looking at various websites at it looks like other than Reflections, there shouldn't be any impact to VWL. Construction around the Wilderness Lodge campus is pretty much complete. I don't see that impacting your experience other than Reflections construction (about a mile away) making the path to Fort Wilderness shut down. They have not announced any other construction plans that I am aware of.
  • Recommendations for room requests? We're looking to book a 2 bedroom villa. VWL is a small resort, so there are no long walks to the elevator like at Kidani. You could request lake side of the resort, which is more scenic but also a little noisier due to boat horns, the pool and Electric Water Pageant. But even if they can't honor that request, the views on the other side are mostly of trees, and we've stayed there and had no problem with it. Very cozy.
  • Jogging trails? I like to go running in the morning and it looks like the trail between VWL and Wilderness Lodge will be closed due to Reflections. Are there other jogging trails around VWL? It is a shame that the trail to Fort Wilderness will be closed during your stay...it is a beautiful walk/run/bike ride down to FW and back. I don't know of alternative running routes, but this is a common request and I'm sure that Guest Services has some suggestions on where you can get your running in. At a minimum you could run the path down by the cabins...very pretty along Bay Lake and you would probably need to do a few circuits to get your distance in.
  • How is the transportation to the parks? Reading online, it looks like transportation isn't a strong suit at VWL... is it really any worse than other DVC resorts? (we stayed at Kidani a few years ago and I always felt sorry for the giant mass of people waiting at Jambo when our 3/4 full bus would pull up) We like the transportation at VWL. The boat Magic Kingdom is a relaxing trip, and another boat runs around Bay Lake in the WL-Contemporary-FW circuit. There is also a bus to Magic Kingdom and Fort Wilderness. The buses to the other locations are as good as any other resort's bus experience. Generally, the route is shared with the Contemporary/BLT for most destinations but that is typical for Disney buses and not that big of a deal, IMHO.
Good luck with your trip planning! You will love VWL around Thanksgiving...all the Christmas decorations should be up which makes it even better!

Jogging trails? I like to go running in the morning and it looks like the trail between VWL and Wilderness Lodge will be closed due to Reflections. Are there other jogging trails around VWL? It is a shame that the trail to Fort Wilderness will be closed during your stay...it is a beautiful walk/run/bike ride down to FW and back. I don't know of alternative running routes, but this is a common request and I'm sure that Guest Services has some suggestions on where you can get your running in. At a minimum you could run the path down by the cabins...very pretty along Bay Lake and you would probably need to do a few circuits to get your distance in.

I had been looking forward to walking the trail to Ft Wilderness and was disappointed when and I found out the path was closed. However, the path by the cabins will probably be nice, and if I head to the parks, there is no shortage of walking available. It would be nice if they came up with another wooded path to just get away from everything.

• Is there any construction scheduled around Thanksgiving 2019? I've been looking at various websites at it looks like other than Reflections, there shouldn't be any impact to VWL. Construction around the Wilderness Lodge campus is pretty much complete. I don't see that impacting your experience other than Reflections construction (about a mile away) making the path to Fort Wilderness shut down. They have not announced any other construction plans that I am aware of.

There is a rumour that the hotel side of Wilderness Lodge is supposed to get a refurbishment. It was already supposed to have started, but since it hasn't it is presumably delayed. So that could be going on then, but should have minimal or no impact on your stay since it won't involve the VWL building. Depending what they do for the refurb, if they are doing it, they may have some scaffolding up around the north (hotel) wing.

But right now it is not clear when it will start let alone end. OTOH, 3 of our last 4 trips to WL have had it under construction, so I figure there is a good chance come the last part of the year it will be again ;-)

SW

Hi all, long time listener, first time caller!

A few questions about VWL:
  • Is there any construction scheduled around Thanksgiving 2019? I've been looking at various websites at it looks like other than Reflections, there shouldn't be any impact to VWL.
  • Recommendations for room requests? We're looking to book a 2 bedroom villa.
  • Jogging trails? I like to go running in the morning and it looks like the trail between VWL and Wilderness Lodge will be closed due to Reflections. Are there other jogging trails around VWL?
  • How is the transportation to the parks? Reading online, it looks like transportation isn't a strong suit at VWL... is it really any worse than other DVC resorts? (we stayed at Kidani a few years ago and I always felt sorry for the giant mass of people waiting at Jambo when our 3/4 full bus would pull up)
Thanks for your help!
1st: WELCOME to the Groupies thread as a poster. So nice to see new faces!

I can only address the transportation at WL. For me it is the best of all words that Disney has to offer. I equate the sound of the boat horns with relaxation. Travel by water is a wonderful way to get anywhere and when that destination is to the Magic Kingdom how can one not be relaxed hearing them?

The boats to/from the Contemporary and MK make it easy to catch the monorail, and while a little longer than a bus, are our preferred method of going to/from EPCOT.

The WL bus stops are great. While there is minimal seating at the stop they're broken out properly so that there isn't a mass of people waiting for all the buses in only one location and each bus can pull in even while others are loading/unloading passengers. I really dislike the GF's bus setup for this reason.

WL shares buses with Fort Wilderness and the Grand Floridian, those side treks aren't bad, but when one is used to dedicated transportation like AKV has it can put me in the zone-out zone.

Last edited:
Hi all!
First of all, thanks for the warm welcome and assistance, very much appreciated! I had a couple of follow up questions if that's ok.

Could you use the buses as a shuttle to get to the contemporary or the grand floridian as another way of getting to the magic kingdom if you miss the direct boat/bus? (or if the boat/bus is too crowded)

Also, we'll likely head to fort wilderness for hoop dee doo and maybe even trails end... with the pathway potentially gone, is the most direct way there from VWL via boat?

Super excited about this trip! We took a break from Disney last year to build up our points so that my wife's parents could come with us this year. We did a Royal Caribbean cruise instead and while it was lovely, it really just wasn't the same. I know that we've brainwashed our kids correctly when our eight year told us that while he had fun, it just didn't feel like home like Disney does! Lol... so proud of him.

So happy for you. Did the fares go down much? What airline did you go with? They have been so high out of Boston.

We have our August trip coming up and the we had planned on April school vacation 2020, but now we are thinking February vacation instead. I looked at two bedrooms that week and many are already booked up so that has me thinking it maybe super busy.

Hi Lakegirl, thank you! We pretty much fly JetBlue exclusively....the fare was $132, we had already booked our flight to MCO @ $89, so I’m happy that I don’t have to stalk the website any longer, well, not for May at least! Now I have December to concentrate on! ::yes::

Hi all!
First of all, thanks for the warm welcome and assistance, very much appreciated! I had a couple of follow up questions if that's ok.

Could you use the buses as a shuttle to get to the contemporary or the grand floridian as another way of getting to the magic kingdom if you miss the direct boat/bus? (or if the boat/bus is too crowded)

Also, we'll likely head to fort wilderness for hoop dee doo and maybe even trails end... with the pathway potentially gone, is the most direct way there from VWL via boat?

Super excited about this trip! We took a break from Disney last year to build up our points so that my wife's parents could come with us this year. We did a Royal Caribbean cruise instead and while it was lovely, it really just wasn't the same. I know that we've brainwashed our kids correctly when our eight year told us that while he had fun, it just didn't feel like home like Disney does! Lol... so proud of him.
:welcome:, bisney! Thanks for joining our merry band of Groupies! No, you can't use a bus to CR or GF since there are no direct resort to resort buses. Some buses may stop at either resort you mention on the way to other places, but I'd not count on them. The boat or bus from WL to MK is generally very good, and the bus to other parks is good, as well. Any resort may have an issue from time to time, but WL has long enjoyed a good reputation when it comes to transportation. As for the most direct route to FW, the boat is a good option. You could Uber there fairly cheaply, too.

Hi all!

As mentioned there really wouldn't be a good way to use a bus to CR/GF to get to MK. You're best just waiting for the next bus or boat. I have yet to run into a crowded MK bus from VWL as most want to do the boat ride. I however consider it the best bus service offered at WDW. ;) There also should be a bus between WL and FW although it's possible the construction has shut that down for now.

Hi Lakegirl, thank you! We pretty much fly JetBlue exclusively....the fare was $132, we had already booked our flight to MCO @ $89, so I’m happy that I don’t have to stalk the website any longer, well, not for May at least! Now I have December to concentrate on! ::yes::
Glad you got a good priced flight. $89.00 is amazing!!!

Glad you got a good priced flight. $89.00 is amazing!!!

I use the Hopper app, it’s pretty good at predictions and alerting you when fares drop, or are about to rise. I actually found the fare without the app this time, but this morning I just received an alert that there was an $89 return flight. Not the flight we booked, the 9:00PM flight which we had considered, but dh doesn’t like to leave that late.

Good Morning Groupies!

Today's the day we (hopefully) switch from SSR to VWL for the relaxation part of our November family vacation. Moose dust I'm successful!

Great price on airfare Corinne! I once flew to Atlanta for $59.00. Of course it was $159. to fly home :rotfl:

17 days until we can hear those boat horns and enjoy the company of friends!

:welcome: Bisney!

Good Morning Groupies!

Today's the day we (hopefully) switch from SSR to VWL for the relaxation part of our November family vacation. Moose dust I'm successful!

Great price on airfare Corinne! I once flew to Atlanta for $59.00. Of course it was $159. to fly home :rotfl:

17 days until we can hear those boat horns and enjoy the company of friends!

:welcome: Bisney!

I hope you had better luck than I did today Di! Took forever to sign in (well past 8am) and hasn't allowed me to the booking page yet. It's also signed me out a couple of times. Grrrrrr

No luck Kat. Had to call ... and wait.... and there's not enough of you dancing this morning. No luck changing :( Back to the drawing board to see how we can work this out.... Stay tuned...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter