VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Dan...you are becoming one of the best story tellers on the Groupie thread! :rotfl2:

You've got to make it to a Groupie meet sometime to regale us with your stories in person! I think you could give our dear friend Eliza (one of the Groupie's earlier storytellers) a run for the money! :)

Ha! I’ve only got about 5 stories, so I keep telling the same ones over and over again. :jester: “Stop me if you’ve heard this before.....”

I’d love to make a Groupie Meet. In fact it’s like the only item on my bucket list.
( Some folks say I’m not very ambitious :teeth:. I prefer to think I’m just easily entertained- you know, simple things for simple minds)

Unfortunately, I seem to be out of sync with the Groupies. My newly acquired VWL points don’t kick in until my 2020 use year, so my first scheduled VWL stay wouldn’t be until December 2020.

I looked one time and considered maybe doing it for a weekend just to make them happy. But then I look at the cash price of the values and think, Why do that when I can use my points and have a much nicer place? So now I just tell them they can grow up and pay cash for wherever they want to stay! Lol. I can totally relate to your story!

That was my first reaction too. But then I thought about it. Maybe DD #1 has a point! I could just rent out my points and use the cash to book Value rooms.

Then the light bulb came on :idea: .

I looked at the Dear Wife and asked- “do you think you’d want to go to Disney in February AND March next year?” :drive:

I bet you can guess what she said. :yay:

I just saw the Ron Miller passed away yesterday. Kind of sad to lose one of the remaining connections to Walt Disney. I grew up watching and enjoying many movies that were done under his watch and production at Disney. RIP Mr. Miller.

I just saw the Ron Miller passed away yesterday. Kind of sad to lose one of the remaining connections to Walt Disney. I grew up watching and enjoying many movies that were done under his watch and production at Disney. RIP Mr. Miller.
One of his last interviews: From December 2018
https://nobhillgazette.com/the-interview-with-ron-miller-life-in-the-magic-kingdom/

For Ron, who wasn't at the top for long, but made some major impacts on the place we call home:
2el123234LARGE.jpg

Just catching up . . .

Jimmy & Family . . safe travels!

Crabby . . . . . not hard to see where you MAY have picked up your name.

And just a reminder, speaking of balconies . . . VWL does have at least one studio with no balcony at all! Stayed there, done that. Sorry, can't remember the room number, but it was an odd number room (or The Quiet Side as Sleepy mentioned)

And just a reminder, speaking of balconies . . . VWL does have at least one studio with no balcony at all! Stayed there, done that. Sorry, can't remember the room number, but it was an odd number room (or The Quiet Side as Sleepy mentioned)

That's room 4533, on the lake side of VWL. It's the only villa with no balcony there. :)

Have to love those storms for the tail winds though - you'll probably land around 6PM! haha
We left late and arrived 1 hour earlier than posted time!! It was one major tailwind :D
UBER picked us up within 5 mins and we were OTW. Arrived to a very beautiful GCV resort. It evoked the same feelings in me as when I first walked into WL with a look of wow on my face.
We have yet to hit the park as we are moving slow...east coast time, Hawaii time, west coast time, my mind is telling me one thing but my body is saying Whoa Cowboy!!:goodvibes

I saw this yesterday too. I too am a by product of that era of movies and shows. I can imagine he, Diane, Walt and Lilly having a big reunion about now

Last edited:
Ha! I’ve only got about 5 stories, so I keep telling the same ones over and over again. :jester: “Stop me if you’ve heard this before.....”

I’d love to make a Groupie Meet. In fact it’s like the only item on my bucket list.
( Some folks say I’m not very ambitious :teeth:. I prefer to think I’m just easily entertained- you know, simple things for simple minds)

Unfortunately, I seem to be out of sync with the Groupies. My newly acquired VWL points don’t kick in until my 2020 use year, so my first scheduled VWL stay wouldn’t be until December 2020.
Ha! We must be long lost brothers. I, too, only have about 5 stories, and I repeat them all the time. :rotfl:While I'm not often called crabby to my face (except by my wife), a couple of years ago I was cast as Norman Thayer in ON GOLDEN POND, a role which my daughter claimed was "typecasting."

As for 2020 and VWL, that's our goal, as well. We have a Christmas cruise this year (preceded by two days at the Lodge), but we're planning a full 10-day stay at our home in 2020. Perhaps that will shape up as a good Groupie Meet year for those who've yet to have a holiday meet.
I quite like Silverado wine too. :rolleyes1
My quote would be, "I quite like _______ wine, too." Just pick a vineyard, vintner, or varietal and chances are great I like it. . .:drinking1

My quote would be, "I quite like _______ wine, too." Just pick a vineyard, vintner, or varietal and chances are great I like it. . .:drinking1

:rotfl2: Yes, that may apply here too. :rolleyes: Although - Silverado specifically has been a favorite in the past.

It's a funny thing - moved to Nevada from MN where they have liquor stores separate from grocery stores. Nevada? Liquor, slot machines - grocery stores have it all! And create a six pack of wine and you get a nice discount. There are perks in living close to Napa and having a grocery store that serves the CA region.

:rotfl2: Yes, that may apply here too. :rolleyes: Although - Silverado specifically has been a favorite in the past.

It's a funny thing - moved to Nevada from MN where they have liquor stores separate from grocery stores. Nevada? Liquor, slot machines - grocery stores have it all! And create a six pack of wine and you get a nice discount. There are perks in living close to Napa and having a grocery store that serves the CA region.
Wow, and I thought it odd that the grocery stores in Florida sold fireworks. (and beer/wine... gotta have alcohol when setting off things that go boom!)

Ha! We must be long lost brothers. I, too, only have about 5 stories, and I repeat them all the time. :rotfl:While I'm not often called crabby to my face (except by my wife), a couple of years ago I was cast as Norman Thayer in ON GOLDEN POND, a role which my daughter claimed was "typecasting."

As for 2020 and VWL, that's our goal, as well. We have a Christmas cruise this year (preceded by two days at the Lodge), but we're planning a full 10-day stay at our home in 2020. Perhaps that will shape up as a good Groupie Meet year for those who've yet to have a holiday meet.
Does Diet Pepsi count? :P

Does Diet Pepsi count? :P
Sure! Yep, Silverado is a nice vineyard. I used to be preferential toward Napa and Argentina, but after owning a wine shop for a few years, I learned to appreciate a multitude of wines. I never paid myself, but I did allow for me to buy the wines I carried at wholesale price which afforded me the chance to sample many wines I might never have otherwise. Now, my tastes run a bit more inexpensively since I'm out of that business. I did learn, however, that the worst factor to determine a wine's worth is the cost. More dollars does not translate to better wine. In fact, there have been some well-circulated research that indicates even most professionals--given a truly blind tasting--are as likely to choose an inexpensive wine over a more expensive wine if both are well-crafted. Our go to store that carries wine is Trader Joe's. We have one an hour away, so once a month we'll drive over there for a lot of their already fine food items, and I'll load up on wine. I can get a case of very tasty wines for an average of about $9 a bottle, and that doesn't include 2-Buck Chuck (which is that price for a reason). ;)

Speaking of Silverado, Tammy had a very nice glass of Cab Sauv. yesterday at Carthay Circle. The food was tasty too!
I had the Salmon
upload_2019-2-12_10-36-14.jpeg

Our room at GCV
upload_2019-2-12_10-37-49.jpeg

Guardians of the Galaxy
upload_2019-2-12_10-40-8.jpeg

Really had a great time on Incredicoaster, and Radiator Springs Racers is very cool too
upload_2019-2-12_10-41-17.jpeg

I;m here and trying to catch up.

4533 is THAT villa. :)

What is "THAT villa"? Is it the one with no balcony?

Yes, the no balcony villa is 4533. The strange thing is that the condo drawings show it having one but it's been the one reported to not have it.

Another strange thing is that Touring Plans doesn't even indicate that is a studio room. They don't even list that room number. I know because I always request 4531 and when I saw Granny's map I was wondering why I never requested 4533. Well because it doesn't exist on the TP site and that's where I request my rooms from.

I go back and forth between OKW and VWL as the favorites among the ones I've visited (also BLT, BCV, BWV, and SSR). The units are large, well-appointed, and the verandahs/patios are HUGE. Also, the resort just whispers "island time" everywhere you look. Somehow it's the only other of the six I've been at aside from VWL that managed to evoke a "sense of place" with me.
I am highly considering adding on our direct purchase in a few years at OKW. And I have never even stayed there. But I've tried before. My other option is SSR but OKW has the same point cost (higher dues though) but a longer contract.

I am behind so I have no idea if your situation is ongoing but thinking of you and hoping for any ease of pain in your situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter