VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I wasn't happy with the breakfast changes as now everything seems like a cold meal, which I can do in my studio. But to take away the Salmon BLT too, oh no. It was very popular too. Lots of people ordered it.
Wholeheartedly agree. I've already made a complaint to Disney. I realize I'm sounding a bit like a petulant child, but they've taxed my patience over the last nearly three years. First, the news they were going to do massive construction at WL. They followed that by announcing the cabins, tearing down trees, removing the beach area, et. al. The construction lasted a long time, though to be fair, not as long as I expected it would. I came to terms as best as I could with the changes, and I even embraced Geyser Point since it looks gorgeous. Of course, no good news goes unpunished, so they close RF. Still, GP had a very good menu that we enjoyed. After eating the salmon BLT a couple of times, I actually felt as though GP belonged, that it would become a nice hangout for us on our trips. And the Territory Lounge coffee shop with specialty coffees and pastries--a true deluxe feel. I almost forgave them for taking away my beloved beach. Even the cabins looked a though they fit with the theme. What happened next? RF opened and was a step back, serving mediocre food and getting rid of the scrumptious Mickey waffles. At least GP had some very good options. . .oops. No. Well, at least I'll still have my salmon BLT. :headache: Oh, by the way, we're getting rid of some of our long time identity and dropping the flag family. It's this sort of teasing quality that Disney has exhibited the past several years which annoys me the most since what they tease is either abruptly taken away or is less than promised. In the case of RF and GP, they've done both.

. . . . And the Territory Lounge coffee shop with specialty coffees and pastries--a true deluxe feel. I almost forgave them for taking away my beloved beach. Even the cabins looked a though they fit with the theme. What happened next? RF opened and was a step back, serving mediocre food and getting rid of the scrumptious Mickey waffles. At least GP had some very good options. . .oops. No. Well, at least I'll still have my salmon BLT. :headache: Oh, by the way, we're getting rid of some of our long time identity and dropping the flag family. It's this sort of teasing quality that Disney has exhibited the past several years which annoys me the most since what they tease is either abruptly taken away or is less than promised. In the case of RF and GP, they've done both.

I worried that they removed some of the food and beverage items from the Territory Lounge since they removed hot breakfasts and the Salmon BLT at GP. We really enjoyed having a before drink and some of the sour dough bread (like they have at AP) at the lounge. Later we heard they even had the mushroom soup. That would have been a great meal for us as we were getting food-ed out after eating at so many restaurants.

I couldn't find the new GP menu on Humphrey's regular FB page--unless it was posted a number of days ago. Or is it on the chat group Humphrey set up. I have no plans to join that as I can talk about WL here.

I worried that they removed some of the food and beverage items from the Territory Lounge since they removed hot breakfasts and the Salmon BLT at GP. We really enjoyed having a before drink and some of the sour dough bread (like they have at AP) at the lounge. Later we heard they even had the mushroom soup. That would have been a great meal for us as we were getting food-ed out after eating at so many restaurants.

I couldn't find the new GP menu on Humphrey's regular FB page--unless it was posted a number of days ago. Or is it on the chat group Humphrey set up. I have no plans to join that as I can talk about WL here.
It may be the chat group; I can't remember, but I did see the pic of the new menu.

Who is ready to revolt??
Lead the charge! :moped: (I couldn't find a mounted steed, so this moped will have to do. . .)

Wholeheartedly agree. I've already made a complaint to Disney. I realize I'm sounding a bit like a petulant child, but they've taxed my patience over the last nearly three years. First, the news they were going to do massive construction at WL. They followed that by announcing the cabins, tearing down trees, removing the beach area, et. al. The construction lasted a long time, though to be fair, not as long as I expected it would. I came to terms as best as I could with the changes, and I even embraced Geyser Point since it looks gorgeous. Of course, no good news goes unpunished, so they close RF. Still, GP had a very good menu that we enjoyed. After eating the salmon BLT a couple of times, I actually felt as though GP belonged, that it would become a nice hangout for us on our trips. And the Territory Lounge coffee shop with specialty coffees and pastries--a true deluxe feel. I almost forgave them for taking away my beloved beach. Even the cabins looked a though they fit with the theme. What happened next? RF opened and was a step back, serving mediocre food and getting rid of the scrumptious Mickey waffles. At least GP had some very good options. . .oops. No. Well, at least I'll still have my salmon BLT. :headache: Oh, by the way, we're getting rid of some of our long time identity and dropping the flag family. It's this sort of teasing quality that Disney has exhibited the past several years which annoys me the most since what they tease is either abruptly taken away or is less than promised. In the case of RF and GP, they've done both.

And didn't you say they closed up the coffee bar at Territory once RF reopened? Why does every other Deluxe have an actual coffee bar except WL? (well, I'm not certain about AKL/AKV)

And didn't you say they closed up the coffee bar at Territory once RF reopened? Why does every other Deluxe have an actual coffee bar except WL? (well, I'm not certain about AKL/AKV)
Yes, it did close, and I meant to say that. It's opened twice in the past year and a half, then shut down both times. I don't believe all deluxes have an actual coffee bar. . .but they should! :thumbsup2 We tend to spend our money at places with good food and coffee. If not, we don't. With sub-par waffles and the eggs bennie gone at WL, we'll be content to eat poptarts in the room and then get our coffee in a park or offsite.

Yes, it did close, and I meant to say that. It's opened twice in the past year and a half, then shut down both times. I don't believe all deluxes have an actual coffee bar. . .but they should! :thumbsup2 We tend to spend our money at places with good food and coffee. If not, we don't. With sub-par waffles and the eggs bennie gone at WL, we'll be content to eat poptarts in the room and then get our coffee in a park or offsite.

BWV does/did. BC/YC does/did. CR does. PVB does. GF.....not certain on that I just realized.

Got the dreaded photobucket email today - swapped my photobucket links to some I uploaded here.

If anyone wants the groupie one, just copy/paste the image, into your sig, or if you're more link minded, the location of the pic is to the right, just surround with the IMG tag
vwlgroupies-jpg.254678
www.disboards.com/attachments/vwlgroupies-jpg.254678/

And for the few AKV folk who haunt VWL:
akvkidaniclub-jpeg.254677
www.disboards.com/attachments/akvkidaniclub-jpeg.254677/

akvgroup-jpg.254676
www.disboards.com/attachments/akvgroup-jpg.254676/

yup, these are duplicated below... can never have too much of a good thing :)

Newest DVC I have no feelings one way or the other. What I'm not happy about is this stupid gondola ride dumping people at IG. As a BCV owner I'm not happy. I feel like I'm about to be screwed over again. First VWL & now BCV. I do realize there won't be a major change at BCV but this does change things. There will be construction. There will be some kind of cables system & gondola whizzing over my head & there will be increased traffic at IG. I'm just over DVC changing all the resorts I love so they can sell more overpriced points.
As a BWV owner, I have mixed feelings on the gondola. My question is...will the IG expand to allow more folks in sooner? When we walk the path and the boats approach we tend to quick step to the gates, knowing we will wait a lot longer if we don't. Now, with the gondolas running, will the capacity of boats and gondolas and foot traffic cause even more backup?

As a BWV owner, I have mixed feelings on the gondola. My question is...will the IG expand to allow more folks in sooner? When we walk the path and the boats approach we tend to quick step to the gates, knowing we will wait a lot longer if we don't. Now, with the gondolas running, will the capacity of boats and gondolas and foot traffic cause even more backup?
Disney employs industrial engineers to answer these exact types of questions about crowd control and flow. I'm positive they have designed a solution to add security and pass scanners to fix backups if they were to happen. The nice thing about gondolas is that they will release passengers at a constant rate. You may still need to judge your walking speed by the boats. :D

My understanding is that both pools at WL/VWL/CCV are now off limits to hopping. The new pool is now off too I believe per pictures of signs I've seen on the entry.

Good.

I thought so, as well, but the current page on Disney's DVC Members' website says nothing about the new pool, just the Copper Creek Pool. If one wanted to make an issue of that, I suspect they'd have to let you. Still, I wouldn't think most will want to hit the PTT button on that issue. For me, the only pool worth hopping to would be SAB, and it hasn't been on the approved list since I can remember.

Quite true, though all one has to do is wait for someone to go in or out and then walk right in. I don't think pool-hopping really is much of an issue, especially at WL, except during prime times. Certainly, I never considered it much of a perk. Too much hassle. pirate:

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I've witnessed large groups of people hopping off the boat from FW in bathing suits with gear in hand to spend the day at the main Lodge pool. I do think many from FW consider WL an extension of the campground & I'd be happy if that stopped. Neither of those pools are that big to accommodate people hopping over for the day. Honestly I wouldn't care if they removed the pool hopping privileges all together. I understand some may disagree with me, but I don't think it's fair to the guests actually staying at the resorts. Many pools don't have a lot of seating especially seating with an umbrella or any type of shade. IMO I don't think guests at that resort should have to fight for spots at the pool because guests not staying there have taken up residence. I do agree with you it's too much hassle to pool hop but I think many do make the effort to hop to better pools.

They also are posting that Flag Family is kaput.

Really? Well that stinks! :mad: I'm so glad we had the opportunity to do it twice, but sad that others will not. Those are very special memories that will last a life time. What is with you lately Disney? :mad:

:laughing: I do the same thing. Activate speed walk mode! :laughing: They have to to expand IG if gondolas are coming there. Two lanes is just not going to be enough & they don't have a no bag line either. Always wondered why they didn't put one in. They have plenty of room to do it.

Anyone book any of the F&W special events? Nothing caught my eye this year which isn't a bad thing. I do like the Parisian breakfast but I won't be there on a Sat. morning so that one was automatically out.

For any Groupies travelling to WDW in the next 10 weeks or so, there are some nice 30% discounts at the following restaurants

• Jiko at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Flying Fish at Disney's BoardWalk Resort
  • The Wave...of American Flavors at Disney's Contemporary Resort
  • Citricos at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • The Grand Floridian Café at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • Olivia's Cafe at Disney's Old Key West Resort
  • Boatwright's Dining Hall at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort Riverside
  • The Turf Club Bar & Grill at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
  • Artist Point at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • Captain's Grill at Disney's Yacht Club Resort

You can look at the following link for more information.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2017/07/special-dining-discount-for-annual.html

That's quite a discount!

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I've witnessed large groups of people hopping off the boat from FW in bathing suits with gear in hand to spend the day at the main Lodge pool. I do think many from FW consider WL an extension of the campground & I'd be happy if that stopped. Neither of those pools are that big to accommodate people hopping over for the day. Honestly I wouldn't care if they removed the pool hopping privileges all together. I understand some may disagree with me, but I don't think it's fair to the guests actually staying at the resorts. Many pools don't have a lot of seating especially seating with an umbrella or any type of shade. IMO I don't think guests at that resort should have to fight for spots at the pool because guests not staying there have taken up residence. I do agree with you it's too much hassle to pool hop but I think many do make the effort to hop to better pools.

Really? Well that stinks! :mad: I'm so glad we had the opportunity to do it twice, but sad that others will not. Those are very special memories that will last a life time. What is with you lately Disney? :mad:
I will bow to your superior knowledge on the pool hopping--honestly, we don't spend much time at pools. However, I can picture scores of people thinking that FW and WL are one and the same. WL CMs will need to keep a constant watch then since it's easy to just walk into a pool just waiting for someone to come in or out. And like you, losing pool hopping wouldn't bother me.

As for the flag family, we never got the chance to do it. Obviously, that chance is now gone. Not to belabor the point too much, but I've been saying (along with many others) that Disney now makes decisions based on maximizing profits. One of the easiest ways to do that, as with all corporations, is to cut personnel costs and to cut back on special things that take a little extra time (thus money) to do. Then again, I'm often a cynic.
For any Groupies travelling to WDW in the next 10 weeks or so, there are some nice 30% discounts at the following restaurants

• Jiko at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Flying Fish at Disney's BoardWalk Resort
  • The Wave...of American Flavors at Disney's Contemporary Resort
  • Citricos at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • The Grand Floridian Café at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • Olivia's Cafe at Disney's Old Key West Resort
  • Boatwright's Dining Hall at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort Riverside
  • The Turf Club Bar & Grill at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
  • Artist Point at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • Captain's Grill at Disney's Yacht Club Resort

You can look at the following link for more information.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2017/07/special-dining-discount-for-annual.html

That's quite a discount!
Dang! We just missed out, and Jiko and AP are two of our faves!

Anyone book any of the F&W special events? Nothing caught my eye this year which isn't a bad thing. I do like the Parisian breakfast but I won't be there on a Sat. morning so that one was automatically out.

Yes, for the first time ever we booked a few things. Going to do a pastry culinary demo, some coconut in the drinks and Tiramisu as well as the French family meal.

A quick good morning from Kennebec South Dakota!:goodvibes The puppies and I are on a road trip heading home to Reno. Going to take a Jonte through the Badlands and be in Rapid City tonight visiting a niece that had a baby in early June. Looking forward to that!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Yes, for the first time ever we booked a few things. Going to do a pastry culinary demo, some coconut in the drinks and Tiramisu as well as the French family meal.

A quick good morning from Kennebec South Dakota!:goodvibes The puppies and I are on a road trip heading home to Reno. Going to take a Jonte through the Badlands and be in Rapid City tonight visiting a niece that had a baby in early June. Looking forward to that!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Kathy...safe travels and Godspeed on your journey. That's quite a road trip!

We have "traded in" our annual F&W trips, replacing them with early December trips. It sounds like they are working hard to keep F&W as a destination event. Sounds like some fun plans for you! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter