VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hey, JT, just watched a video of the final round of a disc golf tourney with Colten Montgomery. Those guys are amazing! I'd rate my skills vs them as a putt-putt vs PGA. If I know where Luv will be on any given day, I'll let you know!

Sleepy
Do you play disc golf?
We built our own course around the house with 4 baskets our neighbor brought with him when they moved from Clermont FL to our hood and I had bought one plus purchased another later
So we have 18 holes around our property. I have vastly improved since having the course at our disposal but the pros, throwing 450-600 plus ft consistently off the tee, it’s crazy.
And the thing is, these guys are not huge, many have a belly like me ;-) but they know what they are doing!!
It was cool to meet a pro! The sport is slowly growing and ESPN every so often will throw a shot in the Top 10 highlights of the day
At one time ESPN was going to start showing the tourneys on TV but that never got far. When ESPN was still a fledgling little company they did record live a tourney in our town at Cedar rock park. Guy I knew actually was pro at that time and played in the tourney
But the sport took a bad turn with ESPN as “stoners” became a part of the cult following and players(not at pro level)have been and unfortunately still light up on occasion.
That’s the big downside for me and I am careful who I associate with in the sport because of that
But I still don’t allow it to keep me from playing as it’s not so rough on the body, gets a good walk in and doesn’t take all day to play

I've only played a few holes a few times. One of our parks in town has a "course," though it's three or four baskets essentially sitting in a square formation in the middle of a field. Now, my daughter has joined an ultimate frisbee team at Bates, so maybe I'll consider tossing a disc again at some point. Haven't done much of that the past 2-3 decades.

View attachment 358951

View attachment 358952

View attachment 358953

After leaving MK and doing the TOTWL DVC tasting, we went to Epcot, caught the 98* show(I think it was still 98* at 6:45 when the show was going on!!)which though Im not a fan of this genre of music, they were very good, tight harmony and vocals. We then grabbed a bite at Via Napoli before heading back to BWV.

Couple crazy things happened yesterday, in a good way. While at MK, I was wearing a t-shirt with Innova on it, which is a disc golf disc maker, biggest name in that industry. Had a fellow and his DW stop me and say "you like to play" and I responded yes. They said they don't see many people wearing disc golf stuff. They were in Jacksonville for a big pro tourney, only the top 32 players in the world are in it. He was one of them! I am new to the game, maybe 2-3 yrs now, so knowing who the pros are, not quite there.
He introduced himself and his DW and we parted ways, and as we were walking, it dawned on me, the guy looked familiar. So I look him up, he is Colten Montgomery, a top pro in the sport. I had seen him in a bad fix of a shot a few weeks before(you can watch the bigger pro matches via internet live these days)and it hit me who he was. Cool that he stopped us to say hello!

The other thing, some folks from NC were at the tasting, we introduced ourselves after the thing was over, then went on our merry way. Then we saw them again at the big store on the BW, an hour later we get on the elevator to head to our room, and they walk on right behind us. We get to talking with them about seeing the 98* show and they say they can't wait to see 38 Special tonight. Turns out they know a guitarist in the band and hope to see him after the show tonight.

My nephew is a long time disc golf player. If I remember I'll have to ask him if he knows who that is! I'm going to guess that he does. My nephew actually lobbied for and helped build the disc golf course where he lives. He loves playing!

Here you go Granny. Didn’t look as “exciting” as the other shot but this final destination Int. Gateway
View attachment 357848

I liked your post Jimmy, because I’m happy to see any pics but have I mentioned how disappointed I am about the International Gateway? It was always so calm and peaceful and that stupid gondola is going to ruin it. :sad2:

Jimmy I’m enjoying your trip along with you! Hope you have the chance to meet up with Tricia and Jerry!

Years ago (~1989 - 1993), DiznyDi & I would hold our company picnic at our home. We set up both volleyball and Disc Golf (9 holes) across the 5 acres. The Disc Golf was always a hit. But it has been years since we have played.

Disc Golf is a game anyone, and I mean anyone can pick up! The level of play is up to the individual as to how far you want to take it. I have been fortunate that Brad, our neighbor from FL taught me, and has been very patient with me. He loves teaching the game, and loves to promote it. We were with him at Turkey Lake Park in Orlando once as he was giving a free clinic to some little girls and their Dad. He was great! I call him the pro-fessor:-)

Its cool to me that with a mention of the game, and several of you replied about your at least knowing about the game. Another groupie in common thing:thumbsup2

As for yesterday, we went to AK, ate a very good meal at Yak n Yeti(TS)and was far more impressed this time than the 1 time before. Will def. go back!
Rode Everest, KS and Avatar and met a very nice lady who was by herself and started chatting with us at FOTLK. Realized that a few years ago we all lived one town apart, then started talking about people we knew that the other one knew. We laughed how it really is A Small World After All:laughing:

Went back to Epcot to catch a couple sets of 38 Special, they were awesome, but we a bit disappointed they didn't do more songs in the 2 different sets. They have a huge catalog of hits to pull from, so hearing the same songs twice. Oh well, no complaints as they rocked the place like nobody business!!

We are here another week, its time to slow it down a bit:faint:

I liked your post Jimmy, because I’m happy to see any pics but have I mentioned how disappointed I am about the International Gateway? It was always so calm and peaceful and that stupid gondola is going to ruin it. :sad2:

Corinne, I agree, the landscape is changing, not for the better in this regard. T and I have been talking, they are going to HAVE TOO increase the capacity of the entrance gates there or it will be a mess of people. But it looks like there is no move currently to remedy this. Im sure the construction to get more gates will be quicker than the gondola process, but I hope they aren't waiting to see the impact then knee jerk react to it.

upload_2018-10-18_10-18-3.jpeg

upload_2018-10-18_10-18-33.jpeg

The fellow in black is Don Barnes, a founding member and the most common lead vocal in the band. He is from Jacksonville FL and used to run with the boys from Lynyrd Skynyrd. If not mistaken, I think he was once a member of LS way back in the day before they were famous. I have read when the LS plane went down, he took Ronnie Van Zants mom from JVille to the area where crash was to identify his body. Van Zants mom was so distraught that Don had to identify him. Just a little music history to get the day going!
upload_2018-10-18_10-19-5.jpeg

So far this one doesn't bother me that much but I remember back to the day when the IG was quite noisy with trams running people over from the Crescent Lake Resorts. I've missed those.

And now we're getting more new neighbors:

https://wdwnt.com/2018/10/first-concept-art-emerges-for-new-nature-themed-walt-disney-world-hotel/

Our little corner of the world is becoming quite crowded! And I have to say it - I was actually appalled by this concept design going into River Country, between WL/CCV/VWL and FW. Nature Designed? I took a lovely nature walk this morning and there's nothing that I see in this picture that even remotely makes me think of that! I know I'm old school with the rustic/nature theme but this looks completely contemporary to me so far.

And now we're getting more new neighbors:

https://wdwnt.com/2018/10/first-concept-art-emerges-for-new-nature-themed-walt-disney-world-hotel/

Our little corner of the world is becoming quite crowded! And I have to say it - I was actually appalled by this concept design going into River Country, between WL/CCV/VWL and FW. Nature Designed? I took a lovely nature walk this morning and there's nothing that I see in this picture that even remotely makes me think of that! I know I'm old school with the rustic/nature theme but this looks completely contemporary to me so far.
I think the older design they had for this site had a bit more of a rustic feel to it, did it not?
Reserving judgement on this until I walk into it. Pretty sure it will steal my heart just due to its proximity to the Fort and all that I grew up with.

I've mixed feelings. I know Disney feels the need to expand. However, I already disliked the fact they got rid of "wilderness" at the Wilderness Lodge with the build of CCV. Whereas, they'll likely do a good job, it's still going to mean more people, and one of the main things that originally attracted me to WL and VWL was the relative serenity of its location. That will be gone almost totally with the new build. Sigh.

"Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, there was such a thing as theming, and the ultimate picture of this was the shining beacon called the Wilderness Lodge. Yet, the Dark Side of the Force opted to erase the wilderness from Wilderness Lodge. The Empire has now planned a modern Hotel Death Star to further eradicate the rebel Wildernesses."

Sorry. I just saw the artist's rendering. . .pirate:

"Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, there was such a thing as theming, and the ultimate picture of this was the shining beacon called the Wilderness Lodge. Yet, the Dark Side of the Force opted to erase the wilderness from Wilderness Lodge. The Empire has now planned a modern Hotel Death Star to further eradicate the rebel Wildernesses."

Sorry. I just saw the artist's rendering. . .pirate:
Thought you were going into a spiel for the new Star Wars hotel. :darth:
I'm not sure if they've broken ground on this hotel yet, but it shows that the current Disney is fully aware of what theming is, they just want us to sign over our first born for it.

I think the older design they had for this site had a bit more of a rustic feel to it, did it not?
Reserving judgement on this until I walk into it. Pretty sure it will steal my heart just due to its proximity to the Fort and all that I grew up with.

Yes, I believe it did. It was much better IMO.

So far this one doesn't bother me that much but I remember back to the day when the IG was quite noisy with trams running people over from the Crescent Lake Resorts. I've missed those.

DiznyDi & I remember when the IG had bus service from the resorts (~1990). Then that ended and they began using the covered bus stops for the DVC Christmas mixer for a couple of years, (grass installed under the canopies) in the days where you could eat all of the snacks and cookies you wanted instead of getting you "Cookie Coupon".

I've mixed feelings. I know Disney feels the need to expand. However, I already disliked the fact they got rid of "wilderness" at the Wilderness Lodge with the build of CCV. Whereas, they'll likely do a good job, it's still going to mean more people, and one of the main things that originally attracted me to WL and VWL was the relative serenity of its location. That will be gone almost totally with the new build. Sigh.

Yup, more people. So glad we experienced the VWL in the before time . . .

"Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, there was such a thing as theming, and the ultimate picture of this was the shining beacon called the Wilderness Lodge. Yet, the Dark Side of the Force opted to erase the wilderness from Wilderness Lodge. The Empire has now planned a modern Hotel Death Star to further eradicate the rebel Wildernesses." . . . . . . . . .

. . . may the force be with us!

KAT You can do it!! I learned quickly its not like throwing a regular frisbee. Brad showed me to keep my elbow tucked in close as you pull the disc across your body. Imagine pulling a cord on a weedeater or push mower. Youtube has some great instructional videos too

Saw the concept drawing on the TV this am of new resort. Thats about as far removed from getting back to nature architecture I have seen, unless you consider NYC nature and you are trying to fit in there:sad2:

A few pics of Star Wars land concept art
upload_2018-10-19_8-54-6.jpeg

upload_2018-10-19_8-54-31.jpeg

Max, can't say I have seen him before in the parks
upload_2018-10-19_8-55-13.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter