VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Boy, Lots going on this week!

It does seem that everyone is in the summer swing of things.

Sleepy...I hope that you and Luv are both satisfied with the challenges of your new jobs!

As for Artist Point, I'm kind of split on my reaction to the rumor. I really don't know that Disney needs a lot more character meals, but Disney clearly hasn't been able to make Artist Point a destination reservation. Personally I think it is because the menu is a little too eclectic but for whatever reason it never fills up. I do know that we generally do not patronize AP because we just aren't turned on by the menu (same with Flying Fish). So I understand that Disney wants to do something to make that space pay off, and it sounds like character meals are the way they are heading. I would have preferred something like changing to another good steakhouse but I guess they feel like they have that more than covered. And I think they have done a better job with Mara at AKL as far as a destination reservation.

Part of the problem with AP was that Wilderness not being on the monorail means that probably only 2% of reservations were from people NOT staying at Wilderness. Meanwhile, signature restaurants at GF, Poly, & Contemporary are nearly at full capacity all the time...

Ron...I think you hit the nail on the head.

2) Knock WL from the ranks of the deluxe resorts - You can't be a deluxe resort and not have a Signature restaurant. You can CALL yourself a deluxe all you want, but without a topnotch dining experience, you just aren't.

I agree Sleepy. For whatever reason, Disney has never been able to generate the deluxe reputation for Wilderness Lodge. As much as we love it, it clearly has been at the bottom of the deluxe resort list as far as demand goes. Even when it was consistently the lowest priced deluxe resort, it had severe occupancy issues that ended up with half of the resort being converted to DVC to turn empty rooms into additional revenue. They had the same problem with AKL, trying to call it a deluxe resort. But for most of the general, non-Disney fanatic population...WL and AKL just never got close to GF/Contemporary/Polynesian/Y&BC/BWI. My guess is that it because of location. If WL was on the monorail or walking distance to two parks, then I think it would have succeeded as a deluxe resort.

For the same reason, I think Riviera Resort (non DVC portion) may have some challenges. It will depend on whether the gondola system can generate the same excitement as the monorail. Who knows? For a new generation of park visitors, the gondola may be as cool (or cooler) than an antiquated monorail system? Time will tell, I suppose.

So I can definitely see the higher-ups struggling with how to maximize occupancy and profits, and I guess they think character meals will pull people from other resorts better than what the current Artist Point restaurant has been able to do. In any event, I think WL will continue to be seen by most as a Moderate Plus category.

I have been away from this thread. Not good news to me, but I understand about AP. We had many delicious meals there, but truly it was not a hard ADR to get.

I think that Wilderness Lodge has always had a strike against it because the rooms are not very large. Add on that you need to take a boat or bus to get to a park and that is another strike against it. VWL improved on the size of the rooms, but the theme although loved by those of us on this thread is not loved by many city folk--the Boardwalk's extravagant city entertainment with all of the accompanying noise is more their style. What I still scratch my head about is why Disney ever though smaller rooms for a deluxe resort was a good way to go. They were just pushing the envelope on what was sufficient for a deluxe hotel room IMO. Now that moderate hotels, like Holiday Day Inn Express and Hampton Inn have larger rooms, people don't really want to stay at Wilderness Lodge for those high prices. Disney missed the boat IMO. And now expects DVC to save the day.

I will confess that I have never eaten at AP, but we don’t do a lot of signature dining in general. With 3 children over the years, nothing looked extremely appealing for the price. We’ve splurged in the past and done Shula’s and other type places, but never even tried AP. With that said, I don’t like the idea of them trying to “calm” whispering canyon, but then decide to turn AP into a zoo. Really makes no sense to me.

Decided to book one night in July to check out Toy Storyland and put our Premium APs to use and go the water park one day too. I wanted a Boardwalk studio for the night to have that easy accessibility to the studios. I knew it was available last week, but wasn’t available 3 days ago when I went to book it. Not gonna lie, i think I’ve checked online probably 15 times a day since Monday. I waitlisted for garden view and boardwalk view. When I checked around 10 this morning it was available. Of course my waitlist was still sitting there. I booked it myself and canceled both waitlists. So happy to get exactly what I wanted. I wanted the studio so we didn’t have to schlep the blow up mattress for one night. This way everyone has a bed(sort of) and we can walk to the park at a ridiculously early hour to ride the new stuff. Have I mentioned that between Aulani, BRV in February for the princess half, and now this mini trip, that I’m almost out of our 2019 points!
Oh no, what is your use year?

Groupies, I am so spoiled. It was 95 degrees in Mpls at 5:00 - after a three hour drive to the shore of Lake Superior I am stoking the wood stove as it is 48 degrees. A wonderful escape from the heat and the wood stove reminds me of the fireplace in the VWL lobby. I hope everyone has a great weekend & avoid the heat!

Oh no, what is your use year?

Lakegirl it's February. We may take one more trip the first of March, so I'll have to borrow from 2020. But with my daughter down there in grad school and these premium AP's, I want to use them as much as possible. We'll just have to take a little break in the future to let it even back out.

Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful Groupie dads. :flower:

Has anyone traded out points with RCI? I am in early stages of planning a family trip to celebrate Dana’s 6-0 next May. We are thinking Aruba. Any comments are most appreciated!

Wishing all Groupie Dads a most extra-ordinary Fathers Day!
Happy Fathers Day!

Hi Corrine!
Went to Aruba a l-o-n-g time ago. Beautiful scenery and h-o-t weather. Sorry though, can't give any info as to an RCI trade. Trip planning is always part of the fun!

Hope others have a more recent experience for you to draw from.

I'm back and I will make a post about that but I had to reply to ErinC...but I have to announce something beforehand so it makes sense. I decided to pursue a dream of mine to become a TA specializing in Disney (still teaching, this is just an add on)!

Been hard and heavy planning this Aulani trip for December.
After doing the training for Aulani, it is now on my 5 year (I hope) plan to get there! I figure we can make a grand adventure and do DLR on the same trip!

OK, so back from a Villas stay about a week and a half ago. We only spent 4 nights there with one park day (at MK) but we did get to spend a lot time at the resort. I got my request of upper floor and Bay Lake side but it was the very last room down the hallway. It was a dedicated studio so it appears it was bigger than one that is part of a 2 bedroom lockoff. We spent a lot of time at the main pool and one evening at the Boulder Ridge pool. Lots of pool drinks from Geyser Point, a meal at Roaring Fork, a breakfast at WCC, some arcade time. We saw fireworks at Top of the World Lounge, the balcony from our room, MK, and Geyser Point. We also saw the EWP from our balcony and Geyser Point. We did Hoop Dee Doo and both my oldest and my DH got chosen to go on stage, we rented Sea Raycers and enjoyed Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. We spent time at Disney Springs, as well as hit up the Character Warehouse at Vineland on our way out of Orlando. We used the boats a lot (I LOVE the boats) and ran across several wonderful CMs! It was a different kind of trip for us but it was nice to get to know WL as well as we did!
IMG_2790.jpg IMG_2791.jpg IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2799.JPG IMG_2819.JPG IMG_2851.JPG IMG_E2832.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2936.JPG IMG_2944.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Corrine!
Went to Aruba a l-o-n-g time ago. Beautiful scenery and h-o-t weather. Sorry though, can't give any info as to an RCI trade. Trip planning is always part of the fun!

Hope others have a more recent experience for you to draw from.

Hi Di!
Dana and I went there for our honeymoon also a l-o-n-g time ago! ;)

OK, so back from a Villas stay about a week and a half ago. We only spent 4 nights there with one park day (at MK) but we did get to spend a lot time at the resort. I got my request of upper floor and Bay Lake side but it was the very last room down the hallway. It was a dedicated studio so it appears it was bigger than one that is part of a 2 bedroom lockoff. We spent a lot of time at the main pool and one evening at the Boulder Ridge pool. Lots of pool drinks from Geyser Point, a meal at Roaring Fork, a breakfast at WCC, some arcade time. We saw fireworks at Top of the World Lounge, the balcony from our room, MK, and Geyser Point. We also saw the EWP from our balcony and Geyser Point. We did Hoop Dee Doo and both my oldest and my DH got chosen to go on stage, we rented Sea Raycers and enjoyed Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. We spent time at Disney Springs, as well as hit up the Character Warehouse at Vineland on our way out of Orlando. We used the boats a lot (I LOVE the boats) and ran across several wonderful CMs! It was a different kind of trip for us but it was nice to get to know WL as well as we did!View attachment 330449 View attachment 330450 View attachment 330451 View attachment 330452 View attachment 330454 View attachment 330455 View attachment 330457 View attachment 330458 View attachment 330460 View attachment 330461

These were wonderful pictures! It sounds like you had a wonderful time without doing Parks constantly. This is one of my favorite things about WL. It stands alone as a resort better than some other spots on property. Glad you had fun! I want to do Sea Raycers sometime! Oh, and I have stayed in a dedicated Studio one from the end and agree that they are a little bigger.

Ariel
Your pictures say it all for a bonafide VWL Lover:lovestruc
Your trip sounds like a slice of Heaven for me(and Im sure many others here too)
Like Ron says, the resort makes us feel so far away from the hustle and bustle of the World(both of em)and it just reminds me why I love it so much!

Morning, Groupies! After a long, tedious flight experience getting to CA, we are now in the glorious VGC in a one-bedroom with a nice view of CA Adventure. We got in yesterday morning and actually did DL park for a few hours before having dinner in D'town Disney. We got on HM, POTC, IASW, and Matterhorn. Crowds were solid but not too severe--standby at POTC was 25 mins and at HM and IASW around 15-20. We FP'd Matterhorn. We're about to head into CA Adventure for EMH. I'll post pics when I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter