VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Lucky you! You're getting Jeffrey Osbourne who I'd love to see more than anyone. If I had kept my original reservations I would have caught Dennis DeYoung. I get Toad the Wet Sprocket. No clue. Kenny G. Meh. Not a huge fan but if I'm in the area I'll stop. Billy Ocean. Meh.

Oh man, see I'd love to see Toad the Wet Sprocket. Such a good, mellow 90s band. I guess if I had to categorize them, they'd be similar to Collective Soul or maybe Counting Crows with less of the following.

Oh man, see I'd love to see Toad the Wet Sprocket. Such a good, mellow 90s band. I guess if I had to categorize them, they'd be similar to Collective Soul or maybe Counting Crows with less of the following.

You must be younger then me because I have no idea who they are. :laughing: I'm a child of the 70s & 80s. A classic rock girl all the way.

Happy birthday Kati! :bday:

You must be younger then me because I have no idea who they are. :laughing: I'm a child of the 70s & 80s. A classic rock girl all the way.
Me too! I remember once me and Dad were in his truck and he was listening to the local oldies station. They played 50s, 60s and a few 70s songs. I am guessing this was at least 25 years ago(or more). Then it hit me, The Police came on singing "Every Breathe You Take", from my HS days!! I told my Dad in jest I guess I was officially old now:D
I am still stuck in the 70s-80s and can't get myself much past that era of "classic rock"

Happy birthday Kati! :bday:

Me too! I remember once me and Dad were in his truck and he was listening to the local oldies station. They played 50s, 60s and a few 70s songs. I am guessing this was at least 25 years ago(or more). Then it hit me, The Police came on singing "Every Breathe You Take", from my HS days!! I told my Dad in jest I guess I was officially old now:D
I am still stuck in the 70s-80s and can't get myself much past that era of "classic rock"

"Classic rock" is my favorite listening too although I also remember when that meant something different than it does now! When our 70's and 80's get to be the Oldies, like the 50's and 60's are now that used to be the Classic rock, then we'll know we're really getting old. :laughing:

:flower:HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATI! :cake: :rose:

"Classic rock" is my favorite listening too although I also remember when that meant something different than it does now! When our 70's and 80's get to be the Oldies, like the 50's and 60's are now that used to be the Classic rock, then we'll know we're really getting old. :laughing:
My 20 and 23 year olds can't differentiate between 50s, 60s and 70s (Although, to their credit they do tend to favor what we called classic rock over any punk, disco or early rap.) Old is in the eye of the beholder. I say that age is in how you feel. Which means that in this group, loving the mouse so much, I'd have to say we're forever young.

Hey - bet you guys didn't know one of the original rappers was Art Carney (of The Honeymooners fame). As we get closer to Christmas remind me to give you all a link. I grew up listening to it and to this day still repeat T'was the Night Before Christmas poem in my head in his voice.

Happy birthday, Kati! :bday:

Does it make me really, really old to say I prefer classic-AL music? Give me Dvorak, Saint-Saens, and Tchaikovsky any day over just about anyone. I am proud of the fact that my 17-yr old daughter enjoys a variety of artists from Aerosmith, Elton John, Huey Lewis, Bruce Hornsby, and the Bee Gees all the way to Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy (her current faves). I always listened to the music I love which meant so did she growing up. Not a lot of teens out there know the lyrics to "Jive Talkin'."

I did listen to a lot of that too. I really have no love of the 80s music but I'm very familiar with stuff from the 60s and 70s. The first cassette tape I had was a Rolling Stones Greatest Hits I apparently nicked from my mom. Really opened the door for that 90s music I can't get over now!

We used to have an Oldies station here in Boston. I remember it playing music from the 50s. That station is gone now, but maybe 5 years or so ago I turned it on & what were they playing? Music from the 70s. Yep we're the oldies now! :laughing: That's ok. It's good music!

As Twinkle said age is just a number. Turning the big 50 next year (still can't figure out how that is happening!), but I don't feel 50. Short term memory? Yeah that's probably feeling 50, but the rest is all good. Eat well, stay active, and never forget you still have an inner child that need to get out from time to time & it's all good. Wine helps too. :laughing:

Does it make me really, really old to say I prefer classic-AL music? Give me Dvorak, Saint-Saens, and Tchaikovsky any day over just about anyone. I am proud of the fact that my 17-yr old daughter enjoys a variety of artists from Aerosmith, Elton John, Huey Lewis, Bruce Hornsby, and the Bee Gees all the way to Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy (her current faves). I always listened to the music I love which meant so did she growing up. Not a lot of teens out there know the lyrics to "Jive Talkin'."

I tried to take a classical music class in college. I recall being assigned Tchaikovsky to study, though can't tell you which piece it was. I will say I fell hard for Tchaikovsky (again, as I had been a ballet enthusiast as a child) and Beethoven that year. Amazingly beautiful work. I was also pulled from that class as it was not on the list of approved studies I needed for an degree. :( Still scratching my head on why they replaced it with a course on Eastern Religions. (Interesting topic, great professor.)

For anyone younger who may have an infant who has a hard time sleeping, try putting on some Tchaikovsky. It worked wonders for my youngest.

Last edited:

I go thru phases where I listen to other music so what if I tell you that my Classical period was when I was in Junior and Senior high? :goodvibes I really wished I had known about an Oboe when we were picking out band instruments! Oh - but then probably couldn't have been in our Jazz/pep band so the trumpet was not a horrible choice. I do know some of the music from 90's onward and for a time Alternative Rock was a go to. The one that usually surprises people is how little country music I like or listen to. Apparently if you own horses most of your life and trail ride western you're supposed to have Country music at the top of your list! :rotfl:

I don't know if this is a genre but can I say that I've always liked a lot of movie and tv show theme music? Did you all know that the theme from Greatest American Hero peaked at #2 in August of 1981? Thank you top hits on channel 8 Sirius XM for teaching me that! :rotfl2: My most played movie theme song list though is my Wilderness Lodge.....which leads me to a shout out for Aaron Copland - a great American composer and one that every WL/VWL/CCV lover has heard a lot of even if you don't realize it.

Thought I would've seen this by now, but has anyone been to the Lodge since the storm? How did she fare? Any tree damage? Or damage at all?

Seth

My most played movie theme song list though is my Wilderness Lodge.....which leads me to a shout out for Aaron Copland - a great American composer and one that every WL/VWL/CCV lover has heard a lot of even if you don't realize it.
Yes!! I forgot to add Copland to that list of composers--he is my all-time favorite. He captures the essence of what we like to call Americana, and his sweeping themes and stirring melodies always put me in the mood for the Lodge. They play a lot of him at the Lodge. For those who might not know Copland, if you remember the song for the "Beef, it's what for dinner" ad campaign, then you've heard Copland. ;)

I love classical music too. I've always been partial to Mozart, Tchaikovsky, & Vivaldi. I'm not a big fan of opera but you can never go wrong with a good version of Nessun Dorma by Puccini. Sung by Pavarotti even better.

party:WELCOME HOME NIKKI G! party:

And welcome to our thread. It is a safe place to be, and where we keep our spirit of The Lodge when we are not there in person. This is an old thread, but changes every day; so pull up a chair often and tell your story, ask your questions, share the excitement . . . let's talk about our favorite place! And of course, watch for the Groupie meets when in The World; they add faces and life to the thread!

Congrats @Nikki G!!

Well, whoop it up because our sale closed yesterday and our deed was officially recorded on the comptroller site today!! We are official BRV owners! And it came at the perfect time because yesterday was a crappy day for me!

So because it was resale, it can take anywhere from 7-14 days, I am told, to get member number by calling member administration. Then maybe another day or so for points to be loaded and then, we can finally book our first trip as owners for June 2018!

I cannot believe how this all played out. Being a DVC owner has been a dream of mine for a long time and seeing WL in June just made it all come together because that was when I finally knew where I wanted our "home" to be. I'm so happy my dream came true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter