VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

Just throwing in a few data points - we went to VB Friday after Thanksgiving from 2-5. everything was ride now, with a few temporary ride shutdowns. Went again today the Sunday after Thanksgiving from 12-3:30 - again, everything was ride now. Kids (all adults) had a great time, fearless river was VERY warm, us old folks rode a few slides and relaxed with a drink. We LOVE VB!

Just an announcement that Volcano Bay will be closed tomorrow (27th) and Wednesday (28th) due to cold weather. The weather in this area is projected to be a high of 62, low of 39 tomorrow - for Wednesday it will be a high of 57, low of 44.

The extended forecast for the day we wanted to go in early December is showing a high of 64, low of 45. We could potentially switch it to another day but it's only a couple degrees warmer. I know they close when it's too cold but I'm not sure what "too cold" means. I also know that it's almost 2 weeks away so things could change. We're willing to give it a shot even if it is that cold as one of our favorite trips included a rooftop pool in Banff when it was below freezing outside! :)

Also, if VB is closed, does Universal ever refund the cost difference between the 2-park and 3-park tickets? We ended up buying tickets direct as part of a package as a favor to a friend who is starting out as a travel agent.

I agree with @jerseygal, wait until it gets a little closer to your trip to make a final decision. :) And I would talk to Guest Services about the refund situation if it comes down to it.

Wanted to report back that we went to Volcano Bay today and had a fantastic time! We did everything we wanted to do and most lines were non existent. I think we ended up with the best weather day where it wasn't cold or hot, just perfect. Thank you to all the commenters here, everyone was so helpful in sharing their experiences.

Do you guys know if Volcano bay will be open in early February? Or will it just depend on the daily high temperature etc?

If they can do the family raft rides they can do Krakatau the water coaster. There’s only like 5 intense body slides. If they’re ok with family raft rides and tube type rides there’s still plenty to do. Plus the lazy and fearless rivers are awesome too.
Good to know. I would avoid the intense body slides! Too hard on my body, lol. Is there an indication on park map or slide sign that it’s intense?

We did it last Friday. Since we got the during Early Entry, only the wave pool area loungers were open. We left around 2pm, and our lounger was in the sun all day. The morning sun is to the left when facing the wave pool; the evening sun is to the right. Since the loungers face the wave pool, and there really wan't any trees or umbrellas to block the shade, the bottom of the lounger was in some sun all day. Last year, we go the loungers that were in the rainforest area, near the Ohya/Ohno drop slides and Bambu restaurant. Those loungers face the volcano, so they only got afternoon sun. However, the also had trees and umbrellas to block that sun. There may be other areas that are better, but they weren't available that early. I didn't worry too much, because I mainly wanted it for the lock box this trip.

This section of loungers was roped off, had employees at a stand, and required a wristband for entry. Since the employees were very nearby, I suspect your order could get taken quickly. We didn't have a lot of time, and the food I wanted wasn't on the lounger menu, so I got our food. We used it last summer, and it took forever for someone to see our flag and take our order. Getting food took forever last summer too. I don't know if getting food is still slow or not. Also, I don't know if an employee is right by the other areas too.

Getting the lounger was much faster than last summer though.

You didn't ask about this, but Express Pass was not worth it for us on Friday, 10/5. We got to the park before early entry at 9am. The crowds were fairly low for about 2 hours. My son rode Krakatau 5 times: 4 times ride now and 1 time with the EP. He never did a return time. We did every ride that we wanted early. We could have rode them multiple times without a wait. We had to leave early for HHN, so maybe the afternoon would have been worse.
Thanks for the review! I am considering getting the premium seating. I thought they came with shade options? What kind of shade is provided?
We have the same touring plan at wdw water parks, get there early and do slides until queues build, then enjoy the wave pool and lazy river.

Yes, saw that on the AP section of the website..$80 for 2 days, must be used by the same ticketholder on both days. I believe I read something like if you are an AP, you can purchase up to 5 of these special VB passes.
I hope they extend this option! We arrive late April for 10 days and I plan on 2 water park days.

Here now, sitting in premium seating. Are we enjoying it? Absolutely yes. Is it worth it? Wellllllllll.........no. It was double what I thought it was, and that is my own fault. Towel rental is also not included with the premium seats, so that was also a bummer. It's 2:30ish now, and our sun shade is essentially useless. The canopy only pulls up so far, and then cannot be adjusted. The service for food has been fine, I actually expected it to be worse. Don't get me wrong, it's not fast, but it's better than the poolside service at the resorts. We ordered lunch, and I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend the coconut crusted chicken sliders, they were outstanding. I also recommend the toasted coconut cocktail.

The cost for the seats and 2 towels was around $85. If you come on a day when the park isn't crowded, and there is ample seating in the afternoon shade, it's not worth it. The lockbox is nice, the service is nice, but it's not $85 nice.
Yum sliders sound good! When I go to the WDW waterparks I just bring a couple of the hotel pool towels with me. Can I do the same at VB? Staying onsite. I’m kinda surprised that they don’t include towels with the premium seating!

Thanks for the review! I am considering getting the premium seating. I thought they came with shade options? What kind of shade is provided?
We have the same touring plan at wdw water parks, get there early and do slides until queues build, then enjoy the wave pool and lazy river.

They do have a shade, but all of the premium loungers have the same shade. It basically can go all the way back and not provide any shade, or it can be up and cover half of the lounger. Depending upon the sun and the position of the chairs, you could really end up with no shade. I would ask where they are located when you book. In October, when we got there at Early Entry, we were told to go to the loungers at the back of the wave pool seating, right behind the dragon bar. Our previous trips in 2017, there was premium seating located near the Ohno & Ohya slides, but that section was closed during Early Entry in October. Some of those loungers were positioned such that you didn't get hardly any sun all day with the shade and a big tree providing shade. They have since removed that tree and replaced it with a large cover. I didn't look to see if there was premium seating anywhere than the wave pool area, so I don't know if there are other locations anymore. By mid-day/early afternoon, our loungers were in complete sun. The only way to get any shade was to drape a towel over the end of the lounger shade, but that cut the useable seating space down. All of the premium seating in that section near the wave pool faces the volcano and had full sun too. I have gotten premium seating 4 times now, and I don't know if I would get it again after our October experience. The locker between the seats was nice though and very convenient with it just being my son and I on the last trip.

EDIT: Also, they said they were getting the locks fixed. Last year, the locks used your Tapu Tapu, but water was getting into the mechanism and damaging them. The team member said they were temporarily using separate locks that went through metal loops on the door and locker with a key on a strap. I don't know if they have gotten the replacements yet.

Last edited:
They do have a shade, but all of the premium loungers have the same shade. It basically can go all the way back and not provide any shade, or it can be up and cover half of the lounger. Depending upon the sun and the position of the chairs, you could really end up with no shade. I would ask where they are located when you book. In October, when we got there at Early Entry, we were told to go to the loungers at the back of the wave pool seating, right behind the dragon bar. Our previous trips in 2017, there was premium seating located near the Ohno & Ohya slides, but that section was closed during Early Entry in October. Some of those loungers were positioned such that you didn't get hardly any sun all day with the shade and a big tree providing shade. They have since removed that tree and replaced it with a large cover. I didn't look to see if there was premium seating anywhere than the wave pool area, so I don't know if there are other locations anymore. By mid-day/early afternoon, our loungers were in complete sun. The only way to get any shade was to drape a towel over the end of the lounger shade, but that cut the useable seating space down. All of the premium seating in that section near the wave pool faces the volcano and had full sun too. I have gotten premium seating 4 times now, and I don't know if I would get it again after our October experience. The locker between the seats was nice though and very convenient with it just being my son and I on the last trip.

EDIT: Also, they said they were getting the locks fixed. Last year, the locks used your Tapu Tapu, but water was getting into the mechanism and damaging them. The team member said they were temporarily using separate locks that went through metal loops on the door and locker with a key on a strap. I don't know if they have gotten the replacements yet.
Thanks for the info! I think I’ll get the premium seating for our first visit, and after I get the lay of the land we can decide if it’s worth getting again. Waiting to get tickets to see if AP hotel rates are any good for our dates late April/early May. Also have no idea how crowded water park is at that time. I usually go to Orlando late August.

We’re going in May, we’ve been to Universal Studios before but never VB. We’re probably more of a lazy river type people(older adults). What do we need to know, lockers, rides, towels, etc... were probably going to do a 1/2 day or evening or morning. Thank you

Last summer, we purchased an express pass for VB. It was good for 1 ride on every slide. Is this still offered? It seems like it is, but I couldn't actually purchase one on line. I just wanted to see the price as it is a variable price.

Last summer, we purchased an express pass for VB. It was good for 1 ride on every slide. Is this still offered? It seems like it is, but I couldn't actually purchase one on line. I just wanted to see the price as it is a variable price.

I bought one in October. I think I had to call to buy it, but I could be wrong. I know it was only available like a month or two before we went. When are you planning to go?

Late July. Probably too early

Probably too early. I think it could be worth it in July though. It wasn't worth it in October. My son rode Krakatau 4 times with little to no wait without using the EP. We got there during Early Entry though. Have fun!

We’re going in May, we’ve been to Universal Studios before but never VB. We’re probably more of a lazy river type people(older adults). What do we need to know, lockers, rides, towels, etc... were probably going to do a 1/2 day or evening or morning. Thank you

Lockers come in three sizes: $9 (mini), $13 (regular), and $16 (family).

There are two "lazy" rivers: Kopiko Wai and TeAwa. Kopiko Wai is more of your standard lazy river, and TeAwa is considered the faster "lazy" river - life jackets are required in this river (it's so much fun). Towels are $6 to rent for the day, so I would recommend bringing your own if you can.

Try to head for the restrooms/lockers towards the back of the park (River Village or Rainforest Village), if you want a less crowded experience at the end of your day in the park. If you see a wait for a ride you would like to do, go ahead and make a reservation for that ride using your TapuTapu. During your virtual wait for a ride, you can ride any rides that state "Ride Now" without losing your wait time for the ride you have reserved.

Each of the four villages have a clock in them - just look at the digital wait time boards. Although you may catch yourself looking at your TapuTapu a few times a day, as if it were a watch. ;)

If you have any other questions, let us know!

Does anyone know if I can upgrade from a 2 park pass to a 3 park pass at any time? Will it just be the cost difference of the 2 passes?

I enjoy the extreme slides, especially Kala and Tai Nui. I know that Ko'okiri gets a long line but do the other two drop door slides need to be ridden early, too?

Yes you can upgrade to the 3 park pass by paying the difference

This is definitely true. DO NOT believe the ads on UO's website that say "Add Volcano Bay for just $55" on every page. You pay the gate price difference when upgrading to Volcano Bay, whether ahead of time (choosing a 3 park over a 2 park pass) or upgrading at the gate. Sometimes it's $55, but it can be as much as $75, depending on the length of the pass - the longer you stay, the greater the upgrade charge. It's NOT a flat $55, despite what it says on the website. I've complained to everyone at UO until I'm blue in the face, but nobody is inclined to do anything about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter