Visually Impaired- Need info

figment27

Mouseketeer
Hi,
The last time I visited WDW in '93 I still had my vision. We will be going to WDW on Dec. 26th this year and I have some questions. I am severely visually impaired but still have some vsion left. I do not see very clearly but I can see some colors and make out what a large object is (people, some animals, etc) if I am very close. I do not think I need any special access to rides but sitting up front is imperative for me to have any chance of seeing anyting at all. What steps do I need to take to get the assistnace with seating I require? What services are available to me? As I said, this is my first visit to WDW since I have lost most of my vision any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Figment27

Hi,
I just looked up information from the WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities information for individuals with visual impairments/disabilities and here is what is said " The four parks offer Braille guidebooks at City Hall, there is a refundable $25.00 deposit. There are also cassette tapes that give guests a sense of direction and a brief description of the attractions. Audio cassettes and portable tape plare are available at City Hall, also with a refundable $25.00 deposit."

There is also a phone number listed for the Resorts Special Reservations it is 1-407-939-7807 these are the folks who assist disabled people with booking rooms and may be able to answer your questions on seating.

There is also something called a Guest Assistance Card that is issued at Guest Relations at the parks, this card assists the CM's in knowing what your needs are..I have never used this card simply because I never knew it existed. I found out all about it on this board...if you scroll through the headers you will find lots of information on it.

I hope some of this information helps
:)

Hi faeflora,
Thanks for taking the time looking up all this extremely useful info for me. I will call the number you provided to ask more specific questions. It is sometimes very difficult to search out information with the magnification program I use on the computer. You have just made it so much easier.
Thanks,
Figment27

Hi. Glad you made it to our board.
I'm not sure if there is a Guest Assisistance Card that deals with visual impairment, but it won't hurt to ask. You can go to Guest Services in any of the parks to request one.
When you go into shows, a lot of people assume that guests in wheelchairs will be seated in the front. That's true in some shows and not in others. My dd uses a wheelchair and last time we went to Cranium Command in Epcot, there was a mother of a visually impaired person who insisted to the CM they needed to be seated with the wheelchairs so he could see. The poor CM tried to explain the wheelchairs were in the back row and the woman kept repeating, "I have a right to be with the wheelchairs." The CM finally gave up and the family ended up in the back of the theater with us.
All of the shows have a preshow area where they gather the amount of people that can be seated for that show. When they open the doors to go into the actual show, there is a mad rush to get into the theater. Before the doors open, it would be helpful for you to know whick door to enter to be closest to the front of the theater. The CM at that show can help you and also give you a little info about the route into the theater.
One show I can think of where you DO want to follow the wheelchairs is the show in America at Epcot. Wheelchair and ecv users go up to the second floor in an elevator and then go down a ramped hallway into the theater. Instead of staying with the wheelchairs in the back of the theater, you can go to the front. The rest of the guests go into another hall, up several long flights of stairs or up an escalator, make a few turns and then end up in the theater. It would be hard not to get trampled as you do all that, so ask to go up the elevator.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

My friend's daughter is visually impaired. Her impairment sounds similar to yours. They just got back from Disney and she told me they got the card that allowed them to sit front and center for all shows. This is the only way her DD would see anything. She reported no problems whatsover. I'm not sure exactly what she requested but if you need me to find out I will.

Thanks for sharing that information, Kallison .
The card would be a Guest Assistance Card and you would go to Guest Services in any of the parks to request it. You tell the CM what assistance you need and there are cards with differnt messages stamped on them that should address your difficulty. The card is good at all the parks for the length of your vacation. You show it to the CM at the ride/show and they will help you.
I hadn't seen that message before. I'm thinking they just added it because in the past I have seen visually impaired people having to fight the crowds to get to the front row. Hopefully with the card, they will allow you to enter the theater before the other guests. If that is not made clear to you, ask when you get the card and when you go into each show.

SueM in MN

[This message was edited by SueM in MN on 03-20-01 at 12:08 AM.]

Thanks again for the info. When using the Guest Assistance Card, should my family and I just wait in line with everybody until we get close and then show the card and then ask for the closest seating for the next show/ride or is there a special line to show the card first?
Thamks.
Figmemt27

Show it to the first CM that you come to. You will probably be directed to the regular line. Show it to each CM you get to. For the rides, you probably don't do anything different than the other guests in line. For shows, you will ned to be directed to go in the correct door. There are usually multiple doors leading into a theater, You need to know which one goes to the front of the theater before the other people start moving into the theater.

SueM in MN

I was just reviewing the replies to my original post and got a little nervous about this: "When they open the doors to go into the actual show, there is a mad rush to get into the theater. Before the doors open, it would be helpful for you to know whick door to enter to be closest to the front of the theater. The CM at that show can help you and also give you a little info about the route into the theater." I was hoping to avoid the "mad rush" when the doors open by obtaining a Guest Assistance card or whatever is needed to avoid this very scary situation. Does anybody no for sure who I could contact at WDW to get a "clearer picture" of what to expect. I am getting a little bit apprehensive at the thought of getting caught up in a mad rush!
Thanks,
Figment

The CMs should help you avoid this situation - they should allow you to go in before the crowd.
Now stop worrying!!!! Get the GAC, and advocate for yourself at each attractions. Know ahead of time what you want to say... be confident - in most shows the CMs will be helpful. It may not always be perfect, but you should not feel apprehensive about going... you will be OK. :)

galc.gif
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Hi Teri,
Thanks for the feedback/encouragement. I don't know why I am feeling the way I do. I have travelled by myself via air for treatment at the mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN from MA. This trip is very important to me, I want my family to have only the best of memories. I don't want it spoiled by something I can control. Sorry, if I sound as though I am whining or not being my own best advocate because I KNOW I AM!!
Thanks,
Figment

I am the one who wrote about the "mad rush". The CM should let her in before everyone else (especially with the card), but we have occasionally been left without assistance (with our DD in her wheelchair) when the doors open. Asking beforehand will help you to not panic if the CM does not get you in before the doors open.
Also, usually there will be a CM telling people as they are finishing coming in that there are more seats available at the front. It's sort of like church, no one wants to be the first to sit in the front row.

SueM in MN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter