Visiting the Grand Canyon for a day

luvflorida

DIS Veteran
So, we've been in Arizona for eight months now, and we've seen a lot and done a lot. We've gotten to know Tucson quite well (love it!) and we've driven to Los Angeles for a weekend (not a lot to see along the way, but nice drive) driven to Las Vegas for a few days (Hoover Dam was interesting to see) and have made quite a few trips to Phoenix. We've been to Tombstone, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and Old Tucson Studios. Tomorrow we're exploring the Santa Catalina mountains and Sabino Canyon.

Next weekend, we're going to the Grand Canyon.:) My husband and I will drive from Tuscon and spend the night in Williams, then drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon the following day. I'm excited to visit the Canyon since I've only seen it from above while flying into Phoenix.

I do understand that not everyone takes in the Grand Canyon in the same way. I know there are people that think one day is not enough to really see and take in everything that the Canyon has to offer. I've heard that people spend anywhere from 15 minutes to several weeks in the area. We're kind of thinking of something in between those extremes. More than the perfunctory look that the Griswold's did in National Lampoon's Vacation, but not an overnight camping trip.:)

Anyone care to share any traveling/visiting tips or experiences? We're planning on spending a day at the South Rim, and would like to take one of the shuttle buses out to Hermit's Rest. We also plan to do a lot of walking between shuttle stops.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips or stories you'd like to share!

Go to Desert View. It's east of Grand Canyon Village along the South Rim. Eat a meal at the El Tovar Lodge. Don't worry about being there for only a day; you'll be back!

And stop in/drive through Sedona if you haven't seen it already. :)

I was wondering what route you took to LA? There are some curiosities that I like along the I -10. in California... like the diner and Dinosaurs at Cabazon. Try going up to Joshua Tree National Park in Joshua Tree and 29 Palms... very cool. Palm Springs and San Jacinto tram make a fun day too.....

Hope you have fun at the Grand Canyon!

There is lots to do (obviously) and you can do as little as walking to the edge and looking over to actually going IN the canyon. It definitely gives another perspective to this natural beauty!

There is the rim hike which I really enjoy doing, and if you get tired there are shuttle stops at many points along the way, so you can go right to Hermits rest if need be.

Enjoy your trip!

BTW, if you ever get a chance, go to the North rim. Maybe not this trip because it 6 hours from the south rim, but it definitely is worth the trip!

Your idea about Hermit's Rest shuttle is a good one....I did that the last time I was there. We got out after a few stops and walked along the rim for the rest of the way. Don't know if that would be practical or not with your adorable little one!

We had a quick 2 day visit (spent one night at the lodge) and hiked the South Kaibab Trail....loved it!!! And would highly recommend doing if you have the chance. I was pg. at the time so we only hiked a portion of it but the views were spectacular.

I was wondering what route you took to LA?

We took I-10 the entire way, Tucson to Phoenix then over to LA. We stopped for lunch in Palm Springs, and I would like to go back and spend more time there. Nice town.

Your idea about Hermit's Rest shuttle is a good one....I did that the last time I was there. We got out after a few stops and walked along the rim for the rest of the way. Don't know if that would be practical or not with your adorable little one!

The only "adorable" one with me will be my husband.:rotfl: The cutie in my signature is our grandson, Carter.:) I love walking and plan to do a lot of it. My husband will trudge along, although I know it's not really his idea of fun. He's more like Clark Griswold and would probably be happy to glance into the canyon, nod his approval, and ask where we're eating lunch.:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions!

I second the vote to visit the North Rim sometime. It's so peaceful, without all of the people. :)

I would also recommend staying in the park, if you're staying over night. We always try to stay IN the national parks when we visit. At night, after the day visitors have left, it's very peaceful.

When we were at the North Rim, we did walk down into the canyon a bit. We picked an amount of time we wanted to walk (say 30 minutes), then 1/3 of the way into that time, we turned around, and came back up. Now we can at least say we walked down into the canyon some. We stayed there four days.

At the south rim, we only spent a day or so. We just visited the different stops along the shuttle route, walked around the rim a bit, and relaxed. We wanted to compare the two rims.

We're working our way up to hiking from rim to rim. When the kids are a bit older.. that's our plan.

If your husband is the Clark Griswald type, and you think a day is enough time to get a view, you might check out taking the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon. It stops at the village, lots of walking and viewing can be done there, but there are shops, restaurants and lots of opportunities to learn about the tribes from the area, their art, and so on.

This time of year it can be surprisingly cool up there, my grandparents had snow when they went, and that was the end of May when here for my high school graduation.

Cool places on the way up or down, depending on how much time you have - Montezuma's Castle, Montezuma's Well, Oak Creek Canyon... Sedona has already been mentioned, that is a favorite place for us. Slide Rock is really nice when it's too cold for swimming, otherwise there are too many people there for our taste.

OP, have you seen the Grand Canyon yet? We drove through Flagstaff about three days ago heading East and a sand storm got us. It was interesting seeing full grown bull (complete with horns) sitting by the side of the road.

If your husband is the Clark Griswald type, and you think a day is enough time to get a view, you might check out taking the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon.

Yes, there is definitely some of Clark Griswold in my husband!:) The train does look like a fun way to go from Williams. I'm going to look into it. Thanks!

OP, have you seen the Grand Canyon yet? We drove through Flagstaff about three days ago heading East and a sand storm got us. It was interesting seeing full grown bull (complete with horns) sitting by the side of the road.

NO, we're heading up this Saturday. Since we've been in Arizona we've seen quite a few of the dust/sand storms that seem to rise up out of nowhere.:eek: Not big ones, but smaller twister-type sand blowing next to the major highway.

Yes, there is definitely some of Clark Griswold in my husband!:) The train does look like a fun way to go from Williams. I'm going to look into it. Thanks!

NO, we're heading up this Saturday. Since we've been in Arizona we've seen quite a few of the dust/sand storms that seem to rise up out of nowhere.:eek: Not big ones, but smaller twister-type sand blowing next to the major highway.

I should post a picture of what we went through. Check back soonish for a photo.

Here's a picture of us heading into the Sand storm and a vehicle we encountered in front of us. Imagine, we lost sight the white van that was only three car lengths in front of us. Did I report about the full horned bull that was sitting on the side of the road? If we didn't pass through the Indian reservation, we sure would've been stopped by American authorities. There was a "T" in the road that forced us to choose a direction (North or South) and we eventually came across other cars who did the same thing. We eventually were shuttled through to a more visible side of the storm. If we hadn't pushed through, we could have been stuck in Flagstaff for a further 8-10 hours. I'm glad we decided not to go to Mt. Rushmore either since that area got slammed with snow. Sorry for being so winded, here are the photos.

OurWestboundvacation09804.jpg

OurWestboundvacation09803.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter