Visiting the beaches

arieliwish

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty,
Hi all, we're doing another trip at the end of august, booked recently, later than we normally book following a breast cancer diagnosis/2 x ops/radiotherapy between Jan and May this year - certainly puts things into perspective! All is fine so far, recovery is going well and apart from a pill every day for 5 years that should be all done with.

So we're staying at the Yacht Club, couldn't get in the Beach Club apart from Club rooms. We stayed at the Beach Club last year and loved it and used the Yacht for meals and drinks a few times so figured it wouldn't be too different.

I've always wanted to see the coasts and beaches so wondered which you recommend. I fancy Sanibel as a neighbour has told me about it, but also would like to see Siesta Key at Sarasota. I think the closest beach is Cocoa but don't know anything about it. I'll be driving so think Sanibel might be too far without a night stop over.

Ta x

Wow, so glad you are recovering well.
I grew up in the Cocoa Beach area. While it's definitely a fun atmosphere, (Ron Jon's, Cocoa Beach surf shop, etc.) my favorite beach is Playalinda because it's a completely natural, untouched dune beach near the space center (you can see the launch pads on the way down to the beach).
Here's a link with a bit of info for you :) http://www.beachhunter.net/orlando-beaches/playalinda-beach-florida.html

I also enjoy the beaches along Satellite Beach and Melbourne Beach.

Siesta Key is lovely :goodvibes

Been twice now and is one of our favourites.

Cocoa is the Atlantic coast which can have a rougher surf. We like the Gulf side better as you get great sunsets over the beach :thumbsup2

Thank you both. I'm leaning more towards the gulf coast (being from the north west coast of the uk I get the sunset over the ocean thing!) and I think Siesta Key won't be too bad a drive. I still like the idea of staying over but I suppose it'll be dark before 7pm so wouldn't be too late a drive back.

Siesta Key is nice, Sanibel is nice, all those beaches in that South West Florida are nice. Naples is fantastic. We normally have a week down in that South Western area. Disney is great, but it's a shame to not visit some of the most beautiful areas in the world I have ever been to. I've been and stayed all down that coast and it is all nice but generally the further south towards Naples you go the nicer it gets. Lowdermilk at Naples is a beauty. Marco Island has some lovely beaches too. If you want to see the area (you'll be glad you did) spend at least 4 nights down there, it really is paradise. Also a big shout to Seaside up on the panhandle, that is a lovely area too.

It All depends on How many days you have to spare .

How many nights you would like to stay away in another hotel ?

Your Driving .

Cocoa Beach is about 70 miles away ( 1 1/2 hour drive )

You Could do an " Airboat Ride " at Midway Airboats at Christmas on Hwy 50

BEFORE going onto Cocoa Beach . Remember Kennedy Space Centre is very near.

Stay overnight at Cocoa Beach , there are several Hotels / Motels.

Follow advice given by Post 2 above.

We drove to Siesta Key in May this year again it is about 80 miles to drive ( Hwy !-4 & 75 )
Very Crowded & hard to find parking places to visit the wonderful beach .

We Stayed in The Best Western Plus Ambassador Hotel in Venice

( Just Off Hwy 75 & there is a Cracker Barrel Rest. next door )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!