• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Visiting France Next year...is DLP worth it?

DisneyZell

Likes Adventures on the High Seas
Hi all! I've been to Disneyland/CA countless times, and Disneyworld many times...and even the Disney Cruise once...we are going to visit my sister in Germany, so are going to extend the trip and go to France for a week. is DLP worth the money? what kinds of things are different there than DL/DW?

Are there things I shouldn't miss? it looks like there aren't as many rides as Disneyworld...is that true?

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!! :earsboy:

You do realise this isn't the best place to get an unbiased opinion, don't you? We are, of course, all DLP fanatics!!! But many of us have also been to WDW and some to Anaheim and some on the Disney Cruise lines too. If I'm trying to be completely impartial I would have to say that (presuming you are in the States?) and can get to Disney theme parks quite easily, a trip to Europe and more especially to France could be better spent in Paris itself which has so much to offer that you wouldn't find anywhere else. Paris is very special. We love DLP but it is very similar to WDW (the Magic Kingdom part). It does have some attractions which are unique to DLP - Adventure Isle, the dragon under the castle, Nautilus, the Legend of the Lion King show, a (tethered) hot air ballon ride,a Wild West show and others that I can't think of at the moment and the theming and attention to detail are wonderful. There is also a studios park but that is very small and can't be compared to MGM studios. Better see what other people on this board say . Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do! :sunny:

I would spend most of my time in Paris and elsewhere, but having come such a distance a day or 2 in DLP would not hurt - would it :goodvibes

Reid

I know this dilemma well...it is a hard one.

It's really easy to visit DLP from the center of Paris, so my suggestion is to know how to get there, and then decide maybe halfway into your stay in Paris if you want to go. The RER (basically the suburban train/subway line) goes from the center of Paris to DLP in 30 minutes for 6 euros each way. There's a lot more information about the exact route and more on other threads, so try a search for RER within this forum. Overall, I find the RER to be cheap, easy, and very safe. If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask. :flower:

I'd suggest just going to Disneyland Park if you only spend one day at DLP, and skipping the Studios. I like the Studios, but they are rather small, and it's really easy to spend the entire day at Disneyland Park.

I love DLP a lot, and there are definitely parts of it that I prefer to WDW, but given the time, distance, money, etc. it takes to get to Europe from the US, and given that your trip to Europe is to see, well, Europe, I wouldn't spend more than one day at DLP if you only have a week in Paris. That's my basic policy, and we actually go to Paris fairly often (it's tied with WDW as our favorite vacation spot). But should you decide to go to DLP, you will have a great day. ::MinnieMo

Hi

I would say you should definitely come, probably just for a day. I understand that having been to the American parks, you know what to expect and want to spend your time seeing Europe. However, you're coming all this way and as a big Disney fan I think you have to come just to say you've done it, another Disney park that you've experienced.

Although I don't think DLP can be "done" in a day, I'd say that you can get a lot done in a day if you're willing to miss out certain rides that you've experienced in the other parks (although I will say some rides at DLP are newer and considered by many people to be better than their American counterparts e.g. Thunder Mountain and Pirates). You will get a good taster for DLP if you spend a whole day there but it won't cut into the rest of your holiday time too much.

Let us know what you decide!

Rhiannon :wizard:

you guys are awesome (which is why I posted here). thanks for the information. I think we will do DLP for a couple days, and spend the rest in Paris. We are staying at the Marriott Timeshares which I believe are right near Disney? anyone know how they are?

thanks guys!

:earsboy: :cool1:

We are staying in Paris for 5 days then DLP for 2 days before heading back to the States. We thought this would be a welcome reprieve for our 9 year old son after days of monuments and museums.

DisneyZell said:
you guys are awesome (which is why I posted here). thanks for the information. I think we will do DLP for a couple days, and spend the rest in Paris. We are staying at the Marriott Timeshares which I believe are right near Disney? anyone know how they are?

thanks guys!

:earsboy: :cool1:
Hi :wave: I believe that the Marriott Timeshare is very near to Disney.... I remember on out last trip being offered a visit from the DLH lobby by a marriott staff and we also get numerous mailings offering cheap DLRP trips if we take a few hours to tour the resort. I think I remember him saying it was aout 20 minutes away :) From the photo's I saw it looks really nice.

:wizard:

G's mommy said:
We are staying in Paris for 5 days then DLP for 2 days before heading back to the States. We thought this would be a welcome reprieve for our 9 year old son after days of monuments and museums.
We're doing something similar, spending 2 days at DLP in the middle of a 9-night trip to Paris.

Actually, an earlier trip along these lines was what reignited my love for Disney parks. I'd grown up going to Disneyland, but hadn't been all that interested as an adult. Then, on a vacation to Tokyo, I took DS (then 5) to Tokyo Disneyland for a day at the end of our trip, to reward him for his excellent patience with museums, monuments, etc. We had such a great time I was hooked on Disney parks again! :earboy2:

The last time that we went to France (from Australia) we decided to take ds to DLP as something that was for him. I've been to Anaheim twice and the Paris park is similar, although there are some different rides and some are updated like Space Mountain. The main difference was the European feel that the place has even though it is very American. I think it is much prettier, especially the castle. We enjoyed it and are going again (with friends who live in Europe) on our next trip to France in July.

Im in a similar situation to you. Been to WDW, DL CA and decided to finally check out DLP. So im heading there this Xmas with the girlfriend.

Little does she know I went to WDW with an ex... hee hee!!

SteveyJC said:
Im in a similar situation to you. Been to WDW, DL CA and decided to finally check out DLP. So im heading there this Xmas with the girlfriend.

Little does she know I went to WDW with an ex... hee hee!!

What's it worth not to tell her then? :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Hello Dsneyzell

just the fact that you are on this board asking the question makes me think that the answer is YES! :goodvibes

I am not a Disney veteran - I have visited DLP once and WDW once but I don't have to tell you that for us DISers each time is magical and thats what its all about. Some of us are lucky and have families who share our passion and also have the wallet to match! Most of us have to balance our desire to visit the parks with our families' interests and budget constraints.

If you get the chance to go, take it. DLP is beautiful, the spirit of France is wrapped up in the Disney package and the charm of both combine to make something unique. I know it sounds a bit cheesy but it is a wonderful place and it has a "je ne sais quoi" element that makes it unmissable!

BTM is better than WDW, POtC is better than WDW, Sleeping Beauty's castle is prettier than Cinderella's and the Dragon is fantastic. There are a few unique attractions and they are all worth seeing. The french CM's have humour which is very dry and distinctly european.

Personally I am thrilled to have DLP within a five hour journey. If I ever visit Paris without a day at DLP it will be because I am following somebody else's schedule.

I rest my case!
Have a great trip - Germany is often overlooked and is a wonderful place to visit.
Regards
Rosie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter