vision and attractions UPDATE!

madaboutMickey

DIS Veteran
I just found out that I am legally blind in one eye, very minimal sight especially in low light. Had to have laser wurgery on my "good" eye yesterday. Will have blurred vision for 2-3 weeks in that eye. This is making walking up and down steps very difficult. Also going from bright light into dark and vise versa is getting harder due to my eyes taking much longer to adjust. We leave for WDW in 2 weeks. If I would explain this to the CM's at the entrance to rides with stairs, do you think they would let me use the wheelchaor entrance? I am more than happy to wait for the rest of my oarty to go through the regular line and then join them when it's their turn.
Also, if the blurry vision doesn't clear before we leave I may need assistance with the seating at the shows.
Any other suggestions?

Everyone has been so helpful so I thought I'd give you an update. Went to the retinal surgeon on Monday and I will be having surgery in Oct. Can't be done before my trip because I am flying. Won't be able to fly for 4-6 weeks. The good news, he thinks I will regain some if not a good part of my vision. Of course, he won't know for sure until the surgery is done. I had hoped for the best but had expected him to tell me there wasn't anything he could do.

Wow. I am so sorry to hear about your loss of vision. I hope you adjust and the vision in your other returns to normal.

I have a daughter that has RP and is losing her sight in both eyes. Right now she is night blind and has extreme loss in her field of vision and blind spots within it.

We did get a GAC at guest services once - it is a card that will let the CM at the attraction know a bit about your impairment and what assistance you may need. I have found, however, that just approaching the CMs running the rides and explaining our situation works out better. They have been known not to really read those cards and we did not have such a nice experience at guest services when we tried to get our GAC.

My daughter uses a white cane and that also obviously alerts CMs that she is vision impaired. Maybe that makes it easier for them to "believe" that she needs to use the HC entrance on a few rides. Not to say they won't believe you, but you never know. It may be best for you to just get the Guest Assistance Card at Guest services. That way you will only have to explain one time!

There are only a couple of rides/ attractions that my daughter needs help with. One is Haunted Mansion. We go thru the HC line and ask to go directly to the doom buggies to avoid the library, and that mad crush in the dark to get to the buggies. They are very good on that ride at directing a vision impaired person. We try and avoid steps anywhere if possible. Millionaire - we go HC and sit in a low row. On boarding rides with a moving walkway, we just always hold on to Lucy and direct her to a car.

I wrote this quickly and probably left out a few things.

The most important thing is to ask for what you need. Most of the CMs have been very helpful and accomodating.

Best of luck with your vision.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Thanks foer the reply. I don't want to ask for anything more than I really need. And I'm not quite sure what I need. Didn't even give Haunted Mansion a thought and I will not be able to see to walk in there! I was thinking that the CM's may question my need for the GAC because I don't look like I need it. I understand this too well. My DD has a very rare, chronic, life-threatening illness, but to most people "she doesn't look sick".
If my vision clears in my good eye before we leave I may be able to get through most everything without too much trouble.

I hope it does clear up & it will be so much easier for you.

I KNOW what you mean about trying to get the GAC. We stood in the Guest Services in MGM and I felt like I was begging. We had never had it before, didn't even know too much about it or what it would/could do for my daughter, and the CM was so rude it was kind of humiliating. Here's this cute, polite, llittle girl with piggy tails and her white cane and the CM (from France) was so rude and unhelpful. Didn't want us to have that GAC. Oh well, we do fine without it! :earboy2:

Maybe a note from your Dr. would help them "believe" you may need some assistance.

Good luck & have a terrific vacation.

A dr's note won't help. I'm sad to hear when people have a hard time with the cm's when asking for a gac. Both times I have requested one they have both been great and the whole process took less than 5 minutes. This was at AK and MGM. Please don't be afraid to ask for what you need. Both my sons are visually impared along with autism and cp, and I didn't know you could get a stamp for that. Thanks for the information. We had to leave a few shows because they couldn't see and I didn't know we could ask to be closer.

Sorry to hear about your vision loss. We are leaving for Disney in 22 days and hope to get a GAC for our 9 year old daughter. My daughter has cone dystrophy and is legally blind with a vision of about 20/500. We too are worried about people not realizing that she has issues with seeing. She appears perfectly healthy on first impression but can not see well enough to read or write very well. (her vision loss is all central) We are hoping to get front row seating and alternate entrance use for her. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need. Good luck and I hope you have a great time on your trip!!!! :goodvibes

They normally don't give GAC's for alternate entrance for people that are visually impaired but give then a stamp so that they can sit in the front of all attractions and shows. Unless there in another underlying condtion which she can not stand in a line and needs to wait her turn outside of the que. If there is another underlying condition were it is impossible for her to wait in a que then you would have to explain what type of assistance you need and for what reason. I hope this helps.
(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))
Jen Jen

A lot of visually impaired people will obviously have difficulty going up/down steps or ramps in crowds. (especially with a throng of people pushing & shoving) Been there/done that.

Also, HM especially is a problem due to the dark and once again that pushy group of people!! :guilty:

My daughter just goes the regular route for almost everything, but every visual impairment is different, so it actually is just easier to explain what you need at certain attractions.

Emilee&Tylersmom -I did find out that there are no large print maps. Nobody could locate any for us. If you find out differently, I would be interested to know! ;) There are braille maps that you can borrow for a deposit at guest services. We didn't even bother as the parks were crowded and HOT and we wanted to get in and get out! One thing I have noticed is that the white cane really does help Lucy so much. I know your daughter is losing her central vision and that may be something to consider. Tough decision, but Lucy is actually very much more secure having it with her - especially in a new environment. Her dad and I were the hesitant ones. Just hard to picture our healthy, bouncy little girl walking with a cane. I am very happy we made the decision we did, as she is so secure with it. Take care & have a great trip!! And definitely try and get a GAC if that is something you think you would want. We were successful getting one, the CM was just difficult and not empathetic at all.

It would just be nice for the OP (and others) to have that GAC handy incase she came across a difficult CM. :rolleyes: And we KNOW they are out there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter