Visa cards

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
I don't want to change too much money into Euros because there are no safes in the rooms.
Will all of the restaurants, shops, and the Sealife centre, accept British Visa debt cards.
If we could use our debt cards, then we'd only need to change £100 or so just to spend at the airport, and on the carts etc. at the parks.

I don't have an answer, but I hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto your query with another one?? I am heading to DLRP in 6 days (wahooo!!!!), and am wondering about using my Mastercard there. I know in France the cards have a microchip in them. Mine does not (Irish) and I have an ordinary 4 number PIN. I will have my debit card anyway but has anyone used a regular Mastercard there and had any problems? I have been to Paris before and cannot remember if I used the card there or not!!

On another sidenote, how do you get the countdown clocks into your signature???:earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Well I am from the US and we don't have the microchip and I used my Visa and Amex so I would think you are OK.

Excellent. Thank you!! Hope the card survives our holidays. :D We are really looking forward to our holiday.

Anne Marie

You can use your cards almost everywhere - I can't recall anywhere that didn't to be honest. You can also have things charged to your room if you are staying at one of the resort hotels.

As for Sealife, I don't know about anyone else, but we found it a major disappointment - it was very small and paled into comparison to many of the little coastal aquariums we have been to in Devon and Cornwall.

All credit cards are accepted at DLP, including Visa, Amex, Mastercard and Diners Club. They are accepted everywhere except for the food carts.

Anne Marie, Countdown Clock info here.

Regards

Rob

So far, the only place I've come across in the area that allows French micro-chipped cards ONLY is the automated petrol station (the cheapest in the area) in the huge car park at the Val D'Europe shopping centre next door to DLP. With a British card, you have to use the manned service kiosk in the underground part of the car park (which takes a LOT longer!).

I charged everything back to my room and then uysed my debit card to settle the balance at the end. I don't know if it's true, but I was told it would reduce currency exchange charges if it was just one transaction rather than many little ones, so it seemed like a good idea.

bev

Thank you everybody for your replies, and Simon I got your book last month, and it has been a great help. I've gone through it in full and been busy with my yellow highlighter marker;) I was just about to buy the "unofficial" guide as I had a similar one for WDW, when I saw yours, which was bang up to date, and even though I'm Irish, the Brits guide is still most appropriate. Well done, great book.

Regards
Anne Marie

Originally posted by KK Cat
I don't have an answer, but I hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto your query with another one?? I am heading to DLRP in 6 days (wahooo!!!!), and am wondering about using my Mastercard there. I know in France the cards have a microchip in them. Mine does not (Irish) and I have an ordinary 4 number PIN. I will have my debit card anyway but has anyone used a regular Mastercard there and had any problems? I have been to Paris before and cannot remember if I used the card there or not!!

I used my VISA and Mastercard with no problems at all in February.

Originally posted by KK Cat
IOn another sidenote, how do you get the countdown clocks into your signature???:earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

I found the instructions on the technical boards to put on the countdown clock. It is very easy.

Thank you so much. Got my countdown clock. Not long to go now. I had to play around with the times a little to get it right, because the only options for time were US times, but I got it eventually (folks in GMT area, deduct 5 hours from EST)

Anne Marie

Glad to see you got your clock to work. You don't have much time left at all now. Have a fun trip. At least it will be warmer for you than it was for me in Feb. :)

We froze in December but the parks were beautiful.
As far as cards you will be able to use them all at DLP. In the surrounding areas and in most of Paris only MC/Visa will be accepted. We found the Musee D'Orsay only accepted Visa. What a wonderful place that was. I hope you will be able to stop there. Even though we were so cold, even in winter coats etc, I would do it again but don't think that will ever happen. We do have WDW, and we are DVC members, so I guess we will just have to suffer with Florida.

Florida's the kind of suffering I could live with;) I've been at the Musee d'Orsay before, and yes it is beautiful. The one thing I was surprised at it how, you are not allowed take photographs there, but you can take them to your hearts content at the Louvre, and the contents of the Louvre are much older than the Musee d'Orsay. There were so many paintings there that I know and love, it was a privilege to see the originals.

Anne Marie

We were able to use the digital camera w/o flash. We have some beautiful pictures of the Renoir,Degas, Van Gogh, Cezanne,Gaugain works there.( How's that for name dropping). I just loved it there. I was amazed at the actual size of the paintings. Since I have only seen prints I assumed that the pictures would be mush smaller. They filled walls with some of the works. I was really blown away.
There was a Matisse and Picasso showing but the line was so long we couldn't get near it.
Can you use flash at the Louvre? I remember my husband keeping the camera steady since he wanted to take a picture of the Mona Lisa and without flash holding it very steady was the only way you could do it.

As far as I can remember you could not take flash photography of the Mona Lisa, but could of everything else in the Louvre. I could be wrong as it's nearly 4 years since I was there last, but looking at my photos, the one of Mona Lisa is very dark, so it looks like I did not use a flash. I think Mona was behind glass??

The digital camera without flash is a good idea, as they still come out quite good, a regular camera without flash is not nearly the same. I have recently got a digital camera, but am still learning.

Anne Marie

This year, I belive it's the first for Visa to be an official partner of Disneyland Resort Paris! :earsboy:

Although the Visa logo is presented on the DLRP homepage and in the Summer Catalouge for 2003, I haven't yet seen any discount offer and/or Extra Magic Package avalible only for Visa card holders. :confused:

As it was with American Express! :)

But, I'll be All Ears! :earsboy:
As usual! :teeth:

After visiting France for our hols for the last 10 years - they definately take Visa!!!!!!!!

one tip though

if both partners have cards for the one account ,take both cards. Occasionally & only in the supermarket 1 of our cards hasn't worked but the other has gone through fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter