Virus's Trojans and Worms oh my!

Please be careful of the FREE SCAN YOUR COMPUTER thats how I got the virus that infected my old computer so bad I had to get it fixed.

Christine - Wild Tangent is a Gaming Channel that comes with XL Home Edition. You need to sign up for it or it just lies dorment in your Games file. You may have deleted or turned off ActiveX Controlls which runs alot of website stuff.

In your IE browser,
1. look near File and find View click it,
2. scroll down to Privacy Report... click it
3. It will pop up, Click settings,
4. Now click Security,
5. check that you have the Secrurity setting set to Medium then,
6.click Custom Level,
7. Enable all ActiveX controls[for now, you can always come back and turn off what you don't want.]
8. Have Dh and children see if still get error message or if this solved your trouble.

Tink:
If only it WERE that easy---
Spywareblaster will actually block threats?? Most all other free programs will REMOVE "objects", but you must pay for the next level that will block (or more correctly, ATTEMPT to block) these items. And that part can often be tricky--I know awhile back ADAWARE was automatically identifying Hotmail as a threat, and blocking it from computers. Caused all sorts of trouble!!
And I already posted sometime back what Pestpatrol did to me---

On my computer I have Norton Internet Security, Ad-Aware SE Personel, Skybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Killer and I have also downloaded the Microsoft firewall but I have never found anywhere to scan this site out. When I scan with Skybot it only ever picks up DSO Exploit 5 Entries Registry change. I always immunize these as I do not know what else I should do. I was also told that if you have too many firewalls etc on your computer they do not work.
Any advice would be very welcome please. ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Uncleromulus - Actually It Is JUST That EASY!! It is a FREEWARE program!! No Cost. FREE!!! Go get it!! Stop your problems Now!! I swear it works great!!!!!!!!!!!!

minniemick- Try AVG for virus scanning- ZoneAlarm for a Firewall- and SpywareBlaster!!!

Thank you for your reply tink2dw, I used to have AVG and Zone alarm but I was told you should only have one and to stick with Norton, if it was safe I would like to have AVG as well. ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

minniemick - I haven't heard alot of good about Norton. Is it working for you?
AVG is only a virus scaner. ZoneAlarm is a Firewall. SpywareBlaster, well there just isn't anything like it out there, it's not a firewall or a virus scanner, it just works!!

Tink2dw
I keep Norton updated and I have never had any trouble (touch wood) I just want to make sure nothing gets through.
Thanks again for your help ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Has anyone else been getting alerts about a virus being deleted from their computer while they are on the Dis in the past couple of days? Ever since they announced about the HTML not being used anymore on these boards I have received 3 alerts from my Norton Virus program saying "a virus has been detected and has been deleted". All 3 times this happened I was on the Dis. Has this happened to anyone else?

XoftSpy is a free program and is much better than Spybot S&D and Adaware. It is a SIMPLE spyware/malware/trojan/virus scanner like Spybot S&D. The updates are 1-2 times a week. (EDIT) Sorry, it's not free anymore.

McAfee SecurityCenter is another great all-in-one program. It includes their firewall, EXTENDED virus scanner, privacy protector, and spam blocker.

Using both programs will keep your PC in tip-top shape and they're easy enough to use that a non-computer person can figure them out in 2 minutes.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get tricked by AOL's new commercial telling you that AOL (on top of your high-speed connection) will help keep your PC's intenet experience as clean as possible. That's ridiculous to pay $24.95+tax per month for AOL's second-rate "protection". I'll pass on that tuna.

If you are having trouble pin-pointing your problem, don't just give up and send it to the Best Buy Geek Squad. First, try Wilders Security website and forums... should save you a few hundred to spend at WDW ;)

www.wilders.org
www.wilderssecurity.com

I hope this may help some of you!

Yup, I'm new!

We have never had so many problems since we moved and changed our service provider and browser.

We used to be on dial-up with Netscape as our browser. We use Windows 98.
Now, we are on cable using IE and outlook express.

Our cable co. has F-secure as their disinfection wizard. We were told to get rid of all our other viurs protection, etc before downloading their protection.
Was this necessary???? Should I download Spybot????

We have been hijacked with about.blank. Also, the Disinfection Wizard could not disinfect the object "window/temp.se.dll" with the virus name Trojan.win32.start.

I know very little about computers and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

As you must have gathered from this thread, there are lots of problems like yours out there and lots of programs claiming to provided a "fix" or cure. From what read, none work on every attacker all the time. Everyone seems to have their favorites, and everyone's favorite has probably failed to help somebody else!!
I have had some success with the free Firewall Zone Alarm, the free spyware program AD-Aware, Norton Anti Virus (with automatic updates) and the pop-up blocker that comes with Google. Why not just try one of the freebees to start with and see if that doesen't clear things up??

Here's a troubeling situation--I recently had my home page hijacked, and constant installing of programs into my favorites file. AdAware allegedly "removed" all these "critical oblects", but when restarting the computer--there they were again!!
Making the long story short, I downloaded Spyware Blaster. Sadly, it wasn't much help, as all the "automatic removal" settings kept resetting themselves every time I logged on, allowing certain pages to continue to get through. Their support site (so far) had been totally unable to help. So I downloaded something called STOPzilla. Now all seems to be working back to normal-- except that IE automatically starts (w/o any click on the icon) everytime I start the computer--how do I cancel that? I'd like to be able to start IE as before, when I click on that icon.
Thanks for any advice and STAY TUNED!! Got a feeling all isn't as well as it seems.

Thanks!
Dan--all Startup folder showed was Microsoft Office and NortonSystemDoctor.
Nothing about IE--but Microsoft Office is a puzzle--we harly ever use it.

Also, try going to Start and then Run. Type in msconfig, then OK. Look at the Startup tab.

That seemed to work. I fumbled around in there, then saw that IE was checked as part of start up. Deleted that, then started again. Now IE opens on icon click.
Wish I knew what all those programs were in the Startup Tray. Wonder if they all need to be run at startup--?
My start up was not 'Normal" or "Diagnostic" but "Selective"
Wondering if that's not a problem in and of itself---?
THANK YOU!!!!

Here's an extremely good article regarding encryption on your home network. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2005/tc2005066_5946_tc205.htm

Regarding this topic, if I remember correctly, Mr. Wildstrom recommended (he actually responds to email!!!) one hardware firewall (can be inside with your wireless router, make sure before you buy, mine already had one) for the network and then a software firewall, antivirus software (he recommended ZoneAlarm Security Suite, which provides both), and antispyware software (he recommended AdAware and Spybot S&D, which I was already using) on each computer on your network.

After dealing with Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2002 & 2004 (combo antivirus/firewall software), I DO NOT recommend them, NIS is far too buggy to actually pay money for (Symantec should be paying you!!!). Countless hours of frustration with NIS, whereas I've only wasted ~4 hours (so far) fixing ZoneAlarm Security Suite on my 3 computers.

Here's something else I noticed while loking over various "support" sites these anti spyware programs all have(and appear to need)..
False positives!!
Seems that if you have multiple programs (like I do--AdAware, Stopzilla, Spyware Blaster) bad stuff still seems to come through. But does it?? From what I am reading, it appears that ALL of these programs can report false positives--meaning that nothing was on your computer after all, but due to the other anti-spyware programs running, some programs "report" what the others may have already stopped.
Of course no way for a rookie like me to even have a clue one way or the other. BUt I thought I would just mention this if anyone wonders how malware can still get through in spite of 3 (or more) programs designed to stop it. In addition to a Firewall and an antivirus program!
Maybe it didn't get on after all---

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter