?? Virtual Waits for Guests with Disabilities

Dannielle

Mouseketeer
My nephew will be traveling with us this spring for his first ever trip to Disney. Due to the nature of his disability he cannot wait in lines for long periods of time. I have researched and we know what to do to sign him up for Virtual Waits. We are a party of 7 though and based on what I have read, Disney limits the party to 6. Does anyone know how strict they are on this rule? We really are hoping to experience as much as we can together. TIA?

Last edited:
When you apply for your nephew's DAS, the CM will ask you how many guests are in your party. Explain that you are a family/group of 7. There should be no problem adding 1 extra person to your group. Just be sure that your nephew is the one who scans in first because his photo will be the one attached to the DAS and the CM at the ride will need to confirm that he is checking in with his party.

At some rides there might be a problem ( and I do mean MIGHT) I know some CM are very strict on the 6 guest things and will not add one over ( some will say they can not do this on the i pod they use) but I would think this would be rear if it does happen at all. So it might be something ( depending on your nephew something you tell him ahead of time if it will not cause to much stress.) to tell him beforehand that the limit is 6 and you might be split up since you have more then 6.

At some rides there might be a problem ( and I do mean MIGHT) I know some CM are very strict on the 6 guest things and will not add one over ( some will say they can not do this on the i pod they use) but I would think this would be rear if it does happen at all. So it might be something ( depending on your nephew something you tell him ahead of time if it will not cause to much stress.) to tell him beforehand that the limit is 6 and you might be split up since you have more then 6.

will they tell you that they wont allow all 7 of us when he scans his band to start the Virtual Wait? Or when we go back to redeem it? if it is the later....then this will either cause someone to miss out on the experience or now have to wait in line and not be with the rest of the group for the next hour or so. If we know at the time my Nephew scans his band then at the person who will not be able to accompany him can at that time go wait on line

will they tell you that they wont allow all 7 of us when he scans his band to start the Virtual Wait? Or when we go back to redeem it? if it is the later....then this will either cause someone to miss out on the experience or now have to wait in line and not be with the rest of the group for the next hour or so. If we know at the time my Nephew scans his band then at the person who will not be able to accompany him can at that time go wait on line
when he or anyone goes to the ride ( he does not have to go get the return time) they will ask who is riding you will tell them all or just the names of the people riding. this is when if they are only letting 6 people go on they will tell you at this time.

during busier times most popular rides is when I have seen CM stricter on the 6 person rule but I was behind someone at POTCB when the CM was very admit that they could only do 6 people and this was not a busy day, I have also been behind people at 7DMT with more then 6 people on there DAS.

I am just telling you this as an in case type of thing. I do not see it happing at all the rides and there is a good chance you will not have it happen at all. Like I said just in case

Anybody can go request the return time for the group. They will ask who is riding with the DAS-holder. At that time they will let you know if they can provide the return time for all 7 or fewer.

The first post of this thread may be helpful to you: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
Just the first post - you can ignore the rest of the discussion.

Enjoy your vacation!

When I went last year, it was max of 4 people. This year for marathon week they didn't give me a limit, but I had my husband, daughter and inlaws added. I had to have everyone's magic bands to add them at guest relations. Then at the rides, I scanned and said who would be riding (or not on some) they've changed everything since last September...they have specific conditions that are eligible. Unfortunately, anything broken or injured no longer counts. I was injured this trip and in a boot/brace, but I also have a condition that is DAS eligible. As this was the first trip my condition flared almost the whole trip, it was amazing to be in comfortable positions instead of just standing. But just bring everyone or their magic bands to any guest relations and they'll help. Mention your a family of 7 and you maybe fine.

When I went last year, it was max of 4 people. This year for marathon week they didn't give me a limit, but I had my husband, daughter and inlaws added. I had to have everyone's magic bands to add them at guest relations. Then at the rides, I scanned and said who would be riding (or not on some) they've changed everything since last September...they have specific conditions that are eligible. Unfortunately, anything broken or injured no longer counts. I was injured this trip and in a boot/brace, but I also have a condition that is DAS eligible. As this was the first trip my condition flared almost the whole trip, it was amazing to be in comfortable positions instead of just standing. But just bring everyone or their magic bands to any guest relations and they'll help. Mention your a family of 7 and you maybe fine.

The guest relation at Disney spring cannot give out DAS card either can the water parks, you will need to go to the GR inside the 4 theme parks ( MK, EPCOT, HS, AK) a good amount of time the outside GR window can do it too ( at the 4 theme parks) but sometimes when they are busy with people with ticket problems they will ask you to go inside

having something broken or injured never got a DAS although some CM would give out DAS cards to anyone that asked them for it. ( some still do)

In November they let me have 8 people on mine. I actually went back to Guest Services to add my SIL and family bc I didn’t have their bands at the time I got the DAS. It doesn’t hurt to ask.

they've changed everything since last September...they have specific conditions that are eligible

Sorry but this is completely inaccurate. DAS is the same now as it was last September - or the past several Septembers. The former GAC program changed to the current DAS (Disability Access Service) in fall 2013, with a few tweaks but no significant changes. There are no “qualifying conditions” as it is based on an individual’s needs rather than diagnosis.

The first post of this thread explains DAS: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Sorry but this is completely inaccurate. DAS is the same now as it was last September - or the past several Septembers. The former GAC program changed to the current DAS (Disability Access Service) in fall 2013, with a few tweaks but no significant changes. There are no “qualifying conditions” as it is based on an individual’s needs rather than diagnosis.

I apologize if my information is incorrect. I had read the other post but noticed differences from what I was told by the GR manager at MK on Jan 8th 2019. I had a boot and brace for a new injury as well as still recovering from my right foot breaking over the summer. I was told that while l visited in Sept 2017, injuries were allowed, that they have now cracked down due to fakers and only cognitive disabilities can get DAS. My husband mentioned my fibro knowing I was also in a flare up, and suddenly I was being asked for my magic band and how many people in my party. As a passholder, she then told me that in the future, I'll need to mention my diagnosis of fibro and not my need to be able to do whatever makes me comfortable while waiting. She also told me that I have to be the one to get a return time as its my picture they'll have to confirm to give a time.
So again, I apologize on my incorrect information from less then 2 weeks ago. I'll be sure to double check the policy when I go back in February. Because if my husband can get the return time, that would help me out significantly and would much prefer that while in a flare up.
I only learned of das on that sept 17 trip, after a passholder saw my difficulties and clear face of pain while trying to hold my clingy 2 year old with a still broken collarbone. So maybe it was my scar, I don't know, but again, I just gave my "diagnosis" of a non fusioned collarbone that broke on it's own after surgery number 2 and was surprised to have been given one.
Again, I didn't mean to upset anyone, just passing along the info I was given

You were given really bad information on the DAS. The DAS is need-based not DX based so a CM telling you to just say your DX is wrong in so many levels ( and I think it might be illegal for the CM to ask for your DX). second anyone linked to the DAS holder MB can get a return time it is when you go back to the line the DAS holder must enter in first so they can make sure your picture match you. The DAS has never been and still is not for mobility problems those problems are told to use a wheelchair ECV roller or in your case the fact that you had a 2-year-old and a broken collar bone a stroller as a wheelchair tag. I really wish GR CM would start to crack down on DAS as I know some people in my own life that do not need it at all that get it

We are a family of 6. We have always gotten it for 6 for the past few years so I am not sure what changes the one poster is referring to. One time we had my mother with me. They could not add her on their little ipad thing when we renewed it at GS, but each CM at the ride entrance was more than accomodating to allow my mom to ride as the 7th member.

" I was told that while l visited in Sept 2017, injuries were allowed,"
To the best of my knowledge, this has never been true since the creation of the DAS. Even fibromyalgia is a stamina issue, so it's surprising ypthat a DAS was given, especially just given the diagnosis/condition.

I had read the other post but noticed differences from what I was told by the GR manager at MK on Jan 8th 2019.

So sorry, but unfortunately pretty much everything you were told is wrong. Sounds like maybe a new CM who needs more training. I'm very glad everything worked out well for you. Just know in the future you will have to explain needs and not a diagnosis, and if the need is stamina- or mobility-related the DAS may not be given. Wanting you to know so you can plan accordingly for another trip.

It is not that broken or injured doesn't count. Under DAS if you have mobility issues then a wheelchair would serve as the accommodation and a DAS would not be needed.

It's unfortunate but all too common to get conflicting information from different CM's. They rely a lot on their own personal judgment, which is, I suppose, all they can do sometimes. If one CM makes an exception for a guest, or if the CM administers the policy in an unusual way, the average guest is going to think that's the way it works, and if it works differently next time it will seem like a policy change.

The first post of this thread explains DAS: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
Exactly what lanejudy wrote.
Nothing has really changed significantly since DAS began.
There were some changes in how it was issued and how Return Times are given and checked in for attractions - at first it was paper, and changed to being digital.
But, what it does, how it is requested and how it works is pretty much the same (with just tweeks, like lanejudy mentioned).
So sorry, but unfortunately pretty much everything you were told is wrong. Sounds like maybe a new CM who needs more training. I'm very glad everything worked out well for you. Just know in the future you will have to explain needs and not a diagnosis, and if the need is stamina- or mobility-related the DAS may not be given. Wanting you to know so you can plan accordingly for another trip.
Yes.
The CMs at Guest Relations are the best trained CMs; it’s not an entry level job.
That doesn’t mean that all are equally experienced, that they never make mistakes or never say things that can’t be misinterpreted.

DAS is needs based, not diagnosis based, mostly because people with the same diagnosis can have very different need. The needs that are accommodated are things that prevent the person from waiting in the ‘regular’ line.
Whatever diagnosis you can think of, some people would have no difficulty with waiting in the regular lines, some might may have needs that are met by having a mobility device (like a wheelchair or ECV) and some might have needs that still prevent them from waiting in the regular lines.

It is not that broken or injured doesn't count. Under DAS if you have mobility issues then a wheelchair would serve as the accommodation and a DAS would not be needed.
Yes
Mobility and many stamina needs can be met by using a wheelchair, ECV or other mobility device in line.
All lines are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding and most are also ECV accessible. Guests don’t need anything to use a mobility device in lines/attractions.

My nephew will be traveling with us this spring for his first ever trip to Disney. Due to the nature of his disability he cannot wait in lines for long periods of time. I have researched and we know what to do to sign him up for Virtual Waits. We are a party of 7 though and based on what I have read, Disney limits the party to 6. Does anyone know how strict they are on this rule? We really are hoping to experience as much as we can together. TIA?
To go back and answer/re-answer the OP’s questions.
1) no one can tell anyone for sure whether or not DAS will be issued to a specific person. DAS is issued at Guest Relations at the Theme Parks and the CMs there are the ones who make the determination. Guests need to be able to explain (briefly) how their disability prevents them from waiting in the regular lines.
So, concentrate on being able to clearly express that.

The USUAL number of guests linked to DAS is 6 (the guest DAS was issued to plus 5 members of their group). CMs at Guest Relations can make exceptions for larger groups. If a guest asks for 20, it’s not likely to happen, but a couple more than 6 is not likely to be an issue.
Some individual attractions might have limits on the number who can be put on the DAS Return Time. You will know that when you go to obtain a Return Time.

I used a DAS for myself over New Year's. It made all the difference for me and my family. It was very very crowded during our trip. 99% of the CMS were great. They were overwhelmed by the shear number of people. In addition, I witnessed people trying to abuse the fast pass system and the DAS system. People would try to go in the fast pass lane too early all the time. The CMs would turn them back. I saw others with wheelchairs trying to enter the fast pass lane without a DAS, the CMS would direct them to guest relations. The worst was when people would clog up the entrance to the lane. I saw a family of 4, all in ECVs cloggin up the Fast Pass entrance to Tower of Terror. They did not have DAS passes or fast passes. They thought they would just show up and be let in because they had ECVs. LOL, the CMs were all over that. They did not let this family through. So they each had to figure out how to turn their ECVs around, one at a time, in the crowded area. It was hilarious. It was obvious that nobody in this group had any experience with the ECVs. It was also obvious that they were trying to game the system.

Anyway, during the time frame we were there, I don't believe the CMs would have allowed 7 on a DAS. I don't know if slower times of year would be different. But the CMS were following the rules as far as I could tell. Of course, I never tried to do anything that was outside of the rules, so there's that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!