Vienam/Cambodia/Laos ABD-- Happy to answer questions!

Ok, food-related question here: I don't eat pork and have a shellfish allergy, so Vietnamese restaurants are often a challenge for me, at least here in the States. Was there a lot of pork dishes on this trip, and do you think oyster sauce or something similar might be an issue? This trip is next on our list, as soon as we can make the dates work for our schedule.
I will say that ABD is really good about telling all chefs about your allgergy needs. They did a great job of serving Hubby foods without onions or cilantro in them...they even would make a special alternate item if there was no way to modify. I don't think that kitchens are as good anywhere in the world as they are in the US about cross-contamination but as far as straight up keeping the food off yoru plate, ABD is great about that!

Ohhh

What goodies do we eat in China!? I can't wait!

I took my daughter to the night market in Beijing on our own before the ABD started -- there they had your garden variety (pardon the pun) of fried insects, scorpions, spiders, etc. This market was being closed down by the government last year; I believe there might be another market you could visit but I'm not positive.

I can't recall anything exotic being offered to us on the ABD tour. The food was excellent, but nothing that stands out as gross or inedible. The dumpling restaurant we went to in Shanghai was AMAZING.

You are all going to have such a GREAT trip. I am looking forward to reading about the new itinerary.

The dumpling restaurant we went to in Shanghai was AMAZING.

I finally found a hole in the wall restaurant in our local Chinatown that makes those Shanghai style soup dumplings. The owner was from Shanghai, barely spoke English, and we were the only caucasians in the place. She was very concerned we were aware how hot the soup inside was. (Not to worry. Our ABD guides taught me well.) We struck culinary gold. So good!

The dumpling restaurant we went to in Shanghai was AMAZING.

You are all going to have such a GREAT trip. I am looking forward to reading about the new itinerary.

I finally found a hole in the wall restaurant in our local Chinatown that makes those Shanghai style soup dumplings. The owner was from Shanghai, barely spoke English, and we were the only caucasians in the place. She was very concerned we were aware how hot the soup inside was. (Not to worry. Our ABD guides taught me well.) We struck culinary gold. So good!

I'm a bit concerned about the dumpling restaurant. I'm a Type 2 diabetic, and on doctor's recommendation, try to be very strict about my starch consumption after breakfast. I know I'm going to be more active on this trip than I normally am (that always happens) but I'm concerned that eating all those dumplings will be just too much. Is there stuff besides dumplings to eat? Could I eat the insides and not eat the whole dumpling? Will I have enough to eat if I do that? I need to talk to the Guides about it, but I need a realistic idea of what the menu there is really like.

Thanks for any insights.

Sayhello

I'm a bit concerned about the dumpling restaurant. I'm a Type 2 diabetic, and on doctor's recommendation, try to be very strict about my starch consumption after breakfast. I know I'm going to be more active on this trip than I normally am (that always happens) but I'm concerned that eating all those dumplings will be just too much. Is there stuff besides dumplings to eat? Could I eat the insides and not eat the whole dumpling? Will I have enough to eat if I do that? I need to talk to the Guides about it, but I need a realistic idea of what the menu there is really like.

Thanks for any insights.

Sayhello

At the restaurant Din Tai Fung, it was mostly dumplings. I would guess there was something else available, but I don't remember. With soup dumplings, you're given a little bowl. The idea is you bite into it and let the soup run out, swallow the dumpling, and drink the soup. At least this is how the Chinese guide taught us. But you could place the dumpling in the bowl, use your chopsticks to burst the dumpling (it's very thin) and eat the pork inside while leaving the dumpling part behind. Soup optional. FWIW it was the only dumpling place ABD took us.

Thanks for any insights.

Sayhello

We are lucky enough to have a Din Tai Fung (dumpling restaurant) in Santa Clara, CA. It was so popular when it opened a year ago that the waits were 2+ hours.

I think you could eat the inside of the dumpling @sayhello and be okay. You would just need more dumplings. At our CA location, there are salads, pork and rib platters as well. Not sure about in Shanghai, though.

At the restaurant Din Tai Fung, it was mostly dumplings. I would guess there was something else available, but I don't remember. With soup dumplings, you're given a little bowl. The idea is you bite into it and let the soup run out, swallow the dumpling, and drink the soup. At least this is how the Chinese guide taught us. But you could place the dumpling in the bowl, use your chopsticks to burst the dumpling (it's very thin) and eat the pork inside while leaving the dumpling part behind. Soup optional. FWIW it was the only dumpling place ABD took us.

We are lucky enough to have a Din Tai Fung (dumpling restaurant) in Santa Clara, CA. It was so popular when it opened a year ago that the waits were 2+ hours.

I think you could eat the inside of the dumpling @sayhello and be okay. You would just need more dumplings. At our CA location, there are salads, pork and rib platters as well. Not sure about in Shanghai, though.

Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to talk to the Guides the first day (I've already had it noted on my reservation). It sounds like I'll be able to manage (especially if it turns out that salad is available like in CA).

Sayhello

We're signed up for this trip next July! Our first ABD.

I'm sure I will have a lot of questions as we get closer.

The only things I can think of right now are about the in-trip flights. We did a China Viking cruise last year and, while we didn't run into any problems with the in-trip flights and airports, there were a lot of little rules to keep in mind (no batteries in your checked bags, cameras in your carry-on had to be separate and tested, same with umbrellas, weight limits on carry-ons (though we never saw that enforced), limits on size and mAh of battery packs, etc.)

Anything like that in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos?

Thank you!

We took the SE Asia ABD last Christmas and I'm happy to answer any questions about the trip! It was an AMAZING ABD and I would encourage everyone to give it a go!! <3

Can you tell me how this trip compared with the China trip in terms of food, experiences, culture, etc. I'm just back from China and searching for that next stop for us. Thanks so much!

Can you tell me how this trip compared with the China trip in terms of food, experiences, culture, etc. I'm just back from China and searching for that next stop for us. Thanks so much!
For our family, we would return to Vietnam trip before we'd go back to China! The cultural value was about equally fascinating, but for us, the food, experiences, etc we liked Vietnam itenerary best

I believe SE Asia has one less flight and the flights are shorter. I liked the food options more in SE Asia. China has more bucket list items, but I enjoyed the experiences a bit more in SE Asia. SE Asia felt more off the beaten path and exotic which I prefer. SE Asia is more hot and humid in the summer. Basically like Hong Kong.
China is amazing. I’ve done 2 versions of the ABD there. However, I’d have to give my vote for SE Asia. I’d love to return in some form whether on the ABD or on my own.

I believe SE Asia has one less flight and the flights are shorter. I liked the food options more in SE Asia. China has more bucket list items, but I enjoyed the experiences a bit more in SE Asia. SE Asia felt more off the beaten path and exotic which I prefer. SE Asia is more hot and humid in the summer. Basically like Hong Kong.
China is amazing. I’ve done 2 versions of the ABD there. However, I’d have to give my vote for SE Asia. I’d love to return in some form whether on the ABD or on my own.
Wow that is high praise! I loved China and SEA has been on my list for a while. I suspect it will be my next big trip after Japan, although I found an itinerary I like better than ABD so that will be a consideration. It’s through an ALumni association or I’d link.

Wow that is high praise! I loved China and SEA has been on my list for a while. I suspect it will be my next big trip after Japan, although I found an itinerary I like better than ABD so that will be a consideration. It’s through an ALumni association or I’d link.

The one thing missing from SEA ABD is Halong Bay. Granted it would take 2 or 3 days to include that. Other than that, it's a perfect itinerary. Love that they included Laos. I'd put it just under S Africa on my list of best ABD itineraries.

The one thing missing from SEA ABD is Halong Bay. Granted it would take 2 or 3 days to include that. Other than that, it's a perfect itinerary. Love that they included Laos. I'd put it just under S Africa on my list of best ABD itineraries.
The itinerary I'm looking at includes Halong Bay :) It doesn't include Laos, but ends in Thailand, which was also a plus as we could spend a couple days in Bangkok. High praise indeed since I know how much you loved S. Africa. My toss up top ABDs are Scotland (original itinerary the first year) and China.

I'm once again pondering how do-able this trip would be for me. I posted a bit up-thread that I was there during the war. Basically I was in two locations, Long Binh which is near Saigon/HCMC, and Chu Lai which was about 50 Kilometers south of Da Nang. I'm wondering if I would be able to visit those sites during some OYO time. I know the actual ABD doesn't go to these locations. This would be something separate that perhaps a guide could facilitate setting up.

Anybody experience going off the tour for things like this?

I'm once again pondering how do-able this trip would be for me. I posted a bit up-thread that I was there during the war. Basically I was in two locations, Long Binh which is near Saigon/HCMC, and Chu Lai which was about 50 Kilometers south of Da Nang. I'm wondering if I would be able to visit those sites during some OYO time. I know the actual ABD doesn't go to these locations. This would be something separate that perhaps a guide could facilitate setting up.

I'm not an expert on any of this. We've never done an ABD, and haven't been to Vietnam - this trip will be our first ABD.

But, we did a Viking China tour last summer and went out on our own on the first full day. We arrived late on Day 1 and didn't meet our guide in Shanghai. We left very early the next morning and went to Shanghai Disneyland on our own. We had left word with the Viking greeters and they told our guide to not expect us that day.

We had no idea, but our Viking guide was very worried about us. When we got back to the hotel, it was around 10PM and she had left several messages on our room phone. She also had dinner (which was included that night) delivered to our room. She told us to call her when we got back no matter what time it was.

When we called her, you got the feeling she was sitting in her room staring at the phone the whole time. She was very sweet about the whole thing.

When we met her the next day, she said it was extremely rare for people to go off on their own. That trip had almost no OYO time scheduled.

That all said, I think you'd be able to do those side trips. Long Bihn is around an hour away from HCMC. You could probably do that on Day 1 (arrival day) or the afternoon of Day 2 - you might miss the dinner. Also, you could plan to arrive a day early and go then.

Chu Lai is around 30 minutes from Hoi An. Day 5 shows the afternoon is OYO.

Day 5 in Hoi An was pretty much a free day. The visit to Marble Mountain was optional. If you were arranging a private tour, this would be the day to do it.

The itinerary I'm looking at includes Halong Bay :) It doesn't include Laos, but ends in Thailand, which was also a plus as we could spend a couple days in Bangkok. High praise indeed since I know how much you loved S. Africa. My toss up top ABDs are Scotland (original itinerary the first year) and China.

I just love that area. I traveled to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore a couple of times growing up and I think the exoticness of SE Asia just stuck with me. I love the people, the fresh food, the beautiful temples and rich culture. Laos and Cambodia were my favorite stops on the ABD. So, if you do have a chance to visit Luang Prabang, please do. I think given our children's ages, ~6-14 we will likely repeat the ABD and try to do Halong Bay on our own at some point.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!