• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Victory Junction Camp for kids and families

LindaDVC

DIS Veteran
Victory Junction Camp In NC
This is not disney but as much fun as disney so figured I would share!!!

My husband and I volunteered here for a few hours here today and got a tour of the camp. They have Kids summer sessions for lots of disabilities asthma, diabetes, neurological, cancer, etc
See the website for the whole list which is www.victoryjunction.org
They also have family weekends in the spring and fall!

This was founded by the Petty's after the loss of their son Adam.
It is all NASCAR themed and free to all who attend. They have horseback riding, waterpark, ziplines, arts/crafts, rockwall, theatre , fishing, boating, and much more

The theming was incredible from "car" beds to the race track !
If you have a child who would qualify I urge you to check it out--
they will have a wonderful time!

Linda

That looks like a really cool place. Thanks for sharing :flower: :flower:

Linda,

My Sunday School class volunteered at VJG Camp also. We changed the linens of over 200 beds. It is a wonderful camp. I think the Petty family has made a wonderful tribute to Adam.

Lori

I had heard lots about it BUT seeing it was unbelievable!
It is so wonderful that the Petty's put their grief into something so great for other kids!

one thing that I forgot to mention is that they have a sibling week which is a great idea !!

Linda

So odd to see this as I was scrolling through!!! VJC gets major kudos from us!!! :yay::yay::yay: My daughter had a blast!:thumbsup2 She wants to go back again next year. I have been afraid to let her go anywhere, even overnight at a friends for fear she won't take her meds.They have nurses and doctors on site!! It was a true blessing to see the smile on her face!:wizard:

Thanks for sharing this. I've been wanting to send my kids to camp but I've never found one that could handle their alphabet soup of issues. I think I'll contact them to see if it could work. They don't actually say anything about food allergies even under the GI section so I'm not sure if they could handle us or not, but it's certainly worth looking into. Thanks again!

4monkeys thanks for bumping this thread. I was reading thru the website & I may look into this for my son.:goodvibes

Thanks for sharing this. I've been wanting to send my kids to camp but I've never found one that could handle their alphabet soup of issues. I think I'll contact them to see if it could work. They don't actually say anything about food allergies even under the GI section so I'm not sure if they could handle us or not, but it's certainly worth looking into. Thanks again!
They don't actually list the criteria. If you contact them I am sure they can tell you. We had to have papers filled out by her dr. If it wasn't for the child life coordinator at her treatment center we would have NEVER known!! They handle food allergies. When Allison was there, a girl in her cabin had some pretty significant food issues (not sure if allergies) and could only eat like 4 things. They accomodated her!!!

4monkeys thanks for bumping this thread. I was reading thru the website & I may look into this for my son.:goodvibes

I would definetly check into it. She LOVED it!! If you look at my PTR in my signature, you will see a picture of Alli with a horse. That was done at VJC and it was done by Flashes of Hope!!

Hope you both can get your kiddos in!! They will have a blast!

VJG camp also has a weekend (maybe week) for special needs kids AND their typical siblings. It's cool for the typical kids to be around other typical kids with special needs sibs. Just thought I would offer the info.....

VJG camp also has a weekend (maybe week) for special needs kids AND their typical siblings. It's cool for the typical kids to be around other typical kids with special needs sibs. Just thought I would offer the info.....

I saw on the website that they do family weekends. Have you been to any of these? My twins are still pretty young (16 months) at this point it's still all about Dan (s/n kid) do you think it would be a problem w/ much younger sibs along?

I think we'd like to try to get into a family weekend program to see if Dan would be up for a week away during the summer -- he's never been away from us, not unique to families w/ s/n kids I'd imagine. He's already expressed to me that he feels different, he's the only kid he knows that wears leg braces, etc. I think being with other kids "like him" would be great for him.

I saw on the website that they do family weekends. Have you been to any of these? My twins are still pretty young (16 months) at this point it's still all about Dan (s/n kid) do you think it would be a problem w/ much younger sibs along?

I think we'd like to try to get into a family weekend program to see if Dan would be up for a week away during the summer -- he's never been away from us, not unique to families w/ s/n kids I'd imagine. He's already expressed to me that he feels different, he's the only kid he knows that wears leg braces, etc. I think being with other kids "like him" would be great for him.

I am interested in knowing as well. I have 2 younger children and it would be nice to be able to see what all she experienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter