VGF Points Came Through

We just don't want to buy some points and then be unable to get the rest. I would definitely rather pay today's direct price than end up forced to pay even more if we can't find the resale.

That won't happen. You'll find a resale and you'll find a resale fairly easily.

Thank you @TexasChick123! That's reassuring to hear about ROFR. It really seems so nerve racking thinking about that process.

Regarding June UY. Will June be ok for us? I have had such a hard time with UY because I know that as soon as the kids get into school and other activities we may be forced to do school vacation weeks or summer. But until then, we will be avoiding those times.

Also, I'm under the impression that we won't have any issues combining our points as long as we match UY?

I really appreciate how helpful everyone is being! My husband I have been talking ourselves crazy and all your advice is SO helpful. Everything seems so much more real when there are points for the taking right now.

I own February, June, and August UYs. UY never really mattered to me. We’ve used the February points to travel in January which people like to avoid. We’ve also used them to travel in June and March. Like I said, it’s too hard to predict what you’ll be doing 5, 10, 15, etc years from now. Buy the 75 direct and get some resale points. There will be price increases next week, so buy the direct ASAP if you want the perks. That may affect the resale asking prices too, so I’d get on looking on the resale sites ASAP for a June UY contract. I’ve also never used my VGF points to stay anywhere but there. That’s what my BLT and BWV contracts are for!

T

Regarding June UY. Will June be ok for us? .
The June UY is just fine for the Sept-Dec travel (and getting studios in September is also easier than Dec and some times in October). I'm a proponent of buying the best UY because it provides some free insurance against last minute cancellations but if you never have a last minute cancellation it also will never matter. The banking deadline for a June UY is January 31st. So a last minute cancellation of a spring trip will be the most vulnerable to potential loss of points if you were unable to find time to use them before June 1st or were unable to rent them. But, again, if you never cancel it won't ever be an issue.

It’s important with VGF direct to realize that it’s a very small DVC resort and that DVC has in the past closed the wait list. Whether you can even get on a wait list for VGF isn’t guaranteed and if you can, how long you’d wait for points in your use year is unknown.
This would be less of an issue w/ larger DVC resorts, but I wouldn’t assume that the short wait OP experienced would be the norm for VGF.
OP what use year were you offered?
Correct. I am an owner at VGF and asked about getting added to the waitlist as recent as early November. I was told by the guide in person that they could not waitlist anyone for VGF.

I think it is good they called you before the price hikes the way things have been going lately with DVC.

Correct. I am an owner at VGF and asked about getting added to the waitlist as recent as early November. I was told by the guide in person that they could not waitlist anyone for VGF.

That's so weird because we were just added to the waitlist. Our guide said that unlike other resorts you need to get approval to get on the waitlist at VGF and some guides just won't bother to fill out the paperwork for people. I have no idea if this is the truth or not, but that's what we were told. We were definitely surprised to be added and then obviously even more surprised to have points offered to us so quickly.

That's so weird because we were just added to the waitlist. Our guide said that unlike other resorts you need to get approval to get on the waitlist at VGF and some guides just won't bother to fill out the paperwork for people. I have no idea if this is the truth or not, but that's what we were told. We were definitely surprised to be added and then obviously even more surprised to have points offered to us so quickly.
I am not sure what the real story is but I am alright. I think the direct purchase price for VGF is pretty expensive. I purchased resale in the summer of 2017 and got what I felt was a great deal. That was my first contract. My only regret is not purchasing earlier.

This is what we keep thinking. We know the right thing for us to do is to take the plunge sooner than later. Just so much to think about!

Did they give you a deadline to commit? There are people after you on the waitlist and a price hike next week. My guide indicated to me that if my points came thru they wouldn't be held for long....But he didn't say how long...

We have school age kids, and a February UY works best for us because of February and April vacations. We couldn’t stand the heat in the summer, and we don’t have a week vacation in the fall.

Also, we have had 2 different guides, the first one seemed to never get us the direct points when we wanted them, the second guide did. We have 50 direct points, and 210 resale at VGF.

Did they give you a deadline to commit? There are people after you on the waitlist and a price hike next week. My guide indicated to me that if my points came thru they wouldn't be held for long....But he didn't say how long...

I was told Monday latest. We just got word about the points yesterday afternoon.

I would recommend getting the 75 direct and the rest resale. If the new resale restrictions make you nervous buy the resale immediately.

We have school age kids, and a February UY works best for us because of February and April vacations. We couldn’t stand the heat in the summer, and we don’t have a week vacation in the fall.

We aren't fans of the Summer either so we will be avoiding those months unless for some reason it comes down to the Summer or not taking a vacation. Fall is our favorite, and most likely when we will continue to go until forced to do vacation weeks in February or April.

Are you happy with 260 points? That's pretty much the exact number of points we ideally are looking to have. We've checked out the charts and figure that should give us some flexibility.

And now you all have me wondering if we would ever not want to stay at VGF. Is losing future resort swapping going to be a huge deal? Should we just buy a bigger resale contract and not worry about the direct perks? Ah!

If you buy resale at VGF after the 19th you will still be able to swap into the other original 14 resorts just not Riviera or any other new ones. If you buy resale before the 19th you get to swap into everything like owners now including new ones, after the 19th swapping will be limited to the original 14. Resale buyers at Riviera will be limited to Riviera only. And it is assumed all resorts after that will have resale owners limited to the home resort.

We aren't fans of the Summer either so we will be avoiding those months unless for some reason it comes down to the Summer or not taking a vacation. Fall is our favorite, and most likely when we will continue to go until forced to do vacation weeks in February or April.

Are you happy with 260 points? That's pretty much the exact number of points we ideally are looking to have. We've checked out the charts and figure that should give us some flexibility.

We are happy with the 260 points, but unfortunately when we bought our first resale contract we made the "rookie" mistake of not thinking about the UY and bought a June UY, we have a February as well. So our points are spread over 2 UY, which isn't ideal but not unworkable. We might buy some more in our February UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter