VGF Feedback

Thanks for all of the insight! We are looking at resale now too. Probably going to keep first purchase around 125 because we have tons of marmot points to still use and can do a split stay at Swan/ Dolphin then pick up another purchase next year.

Thanks for all of the insight! We are looking at resale now too. Probably going to keep first purchase around 125 because we have tons of marmot points to still use and can do a split stay at Swan/ Dolphin then pick up another purchase next year.

Marriot oops!

Hi all,

We just returned from Disney and stayed at the Grand Floridian. We have a toddler and family in Florida so this will be an annual trip to Disney for years to come. I have stayed at lots of resorts and the GF is my favorite and my husband loves it too. We went to a DVC open house finally and learned more. We are interested in buying 100 points direct from Disney before the next price increase to get the benefits and adding on the secondary market. DVC veterans- is this a decent sounding plan?

Our other question is about the VGF. We would always go around New Year’s, but know how low the DVC availability is there- would we have issues getting a studio or 1 bedroom booking at the 11 month mark? I would hate to spend the money for the GF and get shut out of staying there. Thoughts?

As others have mentioned -- buy resale first and then worry about getting direct points later. You didn't say exactly what dates you want to stay -- which would drastically change how many points you need.

If you stay Dec.24 through the Jan 1, then a standard studio will cost more than 250 points for those 8 nights.

Review this chart.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/GF-Points.htm

Also -- understand that they CAN and WILL raise studio points at their whim -- without reducing point costs in other rooms. One bedrooms typically cost double what a studio costs in points, so if you think you'll need 250 points for a studio, you'll need 500 for the 1BR.

Lastly, if you're only going once a year and the same time each year -- there's absolutely no reason to buy direct. The ONLY real benefit a direct purchase gives you (at least for the next few days) is an AP discount...but if you're not going at least twice, then you won't be getting an AP...so it's pointless.

With respect to being able to use your points at another future resort -- are you really going to use your VGF points at another spot? Probably not. They're far too valuable. Additionally, if any future resorts are super bad ***, you probably won't be able to get in at 7 months anyways (See VGC).

So in summary -- figure out how much your stay will cost in points -- then add 20% to that to account for any future reallocations, and buy RESALE.

*ETA -- if you still want direct after all of that -- once you own resale, they're more willing to put you on the waitlist for direct points. And you only need 75 -- not 100 -- for member benefits.

Hi there,

I was actually just offered points at VGF today. Our guide waitlisted us and they came through really quickly. So it's definitely possible to get the points there if you want them.

I will say that this thread is scaring me a bit though!

Hi there,

I was actually just offered points at VGF today. Our guide waitlisted us and they came through really quickly. So it's definitely possible to get the points there if you want them.

It should, DVC just devalued your points because they are trying to kill the resale market!

Hi there,

I was just offered points too with a use year that works and bought them today! I looked resale, but couldn’t find a contract that met my needs and would’ve caused me to pay cash for my next trip, balancing out any real savings.

Thanks for all of the tips! I appreciate everyone’s insight.

I was just offered points too with a use year that works and bought them today! I looked resale, but couldn’t find a contract that met my needs and would’ve caused me to pay cash for my next trip, balancing out any real savings.

Thanks for all of the tips! I appreciate everyone’s insight.
Welcome Home!

Congrats! May I ask what use year you were offered? We were offered June. We haven't committed yet because we're still working out how many points we really want to buy direct and I'm wondering if I could push for a different use year.

Congrats! May I ask what use year you were offered? We were offered June. We haven't committed yet because we're still working out how many points we really want to buy direct and I'm wondering if I could push for a different use year.

We were offered June too- wonder if it was from the same batch of points. June works for us because we would travel Oct, Nov Dec or Jan depending on the year. I wanted anything but a Feb use year. We feel like we need 50 more points but will pick those up later

Sounds like we are both in a similar situation! We will also mainly travel in those months until our kids are in school. I'm struggling with the amount we want to take direct. I think we will need to add more points either way so that we can book a 1BR eventually but for now we really just need/want to stay in a studio if we can. We're trying to firm up our details tonight so we can let our guide know in the morning!

Sounds like we are both in a similar situation! We will also mainly travel in those months until our kids are in school. I'm struggling with the amount we want to take direct. I think we will need to add more points either way so that we can book a 1BR eventually but for now we really just need/want to stay in a studio if we can. We're trying to firm up our details tonight so we can let our guide know in the morning!

Yes similar situation! I got enough for 3-4 nights in a 1 bedroom (not at top peak season) or about a week in a studio, but want to add more eventually. Worst case you can start with a lower amount like what we did and just stay a night or two elsewhere and add until you find your footing. I think that’s our plan. We love the Swan/Dolphin- we have Marriott rewards, so will book 1-2 nights there too for this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter