VGF Feedback

lizdis1

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We just returned from Disney and stayed at the Grand Floridian. We have a toddler and family in Florida so this will be an annual trip to Disney for years to come. I have stayed at lots of resorts and the GF is my favorite and my husband loves it too. We went to a DVC open house finally and learned more. We are interested in buying 100 points direct from Disney before the next price increase to get the benefits and adding on the secondary market. DVC veterans- is this a decent sounding plan?

Our other question is about the VGF. We would always go around New Year’s, but know how low the DVC availability is there- would we have issues getting a studio or 1 bedroom booking at the 11 month mark? I would hate to spend the money for the GF and get shut out of staying there. Thoughts?

The resorts that I own at for NYE time are BLT and BWV. At 11 months I have never not gotten something at either resort for that time. I usually book BLT for maybe 28 to 31, then 31 and beyond at BWV. I do not always get Standard view, sometimes I have gone for two bedroom, sometimes a studio.

VGF is smaller, and has fixed weeks, I hope someone who owns there will answer. The points needed are crazy high, that helps keep demand down.

The resorts that I own at for NYE time are BLT and BWV. At 11 months I have never not gotten something at either resort for that time. I usually book BLT for maybe 28 to 31, then 31 and beyond at BWV. I do not always get Standard view, sometimes I have gone for two bedroom, sometimes a studio.

VGF is smaller, and has fixed weeks, I hope someone who owns there will answer. The points needed are crazy high, that helps keep demand down.

Thanks for responding!

Persona
Hi all,

We just returned from Disney and stayed at the Grand Floridian. We have a toddler and family in Florida so this will be an annual trip to Disney for years to come. I have stayed at lots of resorts and the GF is my favorite and my husband loves it too. We went to a DVC open house finally and learned more. We are interested in buying 100 points direct from Disney before the next price increase to get the benefits and adding on the secondary market. DVC veterans- is this a decent sounding plan?

Our other question is about the VGF. We would always go around New Year’s, but know how low the DVC availability is there- would we have issues getting a studio or 1 bedroom booking at the 11 month mark? I would hate to spend the money for the GF and get shut out of staying there. Thoughts?
I would buy resale first and then add on direct. It is much easier to match UY with a direct purchase than it is to find a resale contract with the right number of points and correct UY.

The only way that you will get a studio at VGF for NYE is to own there. None will be available at 7 months when any owner can book at their non-home resort. So while the points are pricier, they at least give you a shot at getting what you want. VGF has only 47 studios between lake and standard views. It has an equal number of 1BR villas. All of the studios and 1BR villas connect to form a 2BR lockoff. There are also 47 dedicated 2BR villas. It's a very small resort. VGF is one of my home resorts. I've followed the booking pattern afor VGF studios the last few weeks while I have been watching for an opportunity to book at BWV (my other home resort). VGF studios are unavailable at 8:01 AM EST at the 11-month window. IMO, if you want VGF for NYE, make sure to purchase enough points to book a 1BR and plan on walking the reservation. It's that bad in December.

Persona

I would buy resale first and then add on direct. It is much easier to match UY with a direct purchase than it is to find a resale contract with the right number of points and correct UY.

The only way that you will get a studio at VGF for NYE is to own there. None will be available at 7 months when any owner can book at their non-home resort. So while the points are pricier, they at least give you a shot at getting what you want. VGF has only 47 studios between lake and standard views. It has an equal number of 1BR villas. All of the studios and 1BR villas connect to form a 2BR lockoff. There are also 47 dedicated 2BR villas. It's a very small resort. VGF is one of my home resorts. I've followed the booking pattern afor VGF studios the last few weeks while I have been watching for an opportunity to book at BWV (my other home resort). VGF studios are unavailable at 8:01 AM EST at the 11-month window. IMO, if you want VGF for NYE, make sure to purchase enough points to book a 1BR and plan on walking the reservation. It's that bad in December.

Thanks for the advice! I am concerned with spending the money and then getting shut out and disappointed and having to stay elsewhere. It’s really making me rethink.

@lizdis1

VGF owner here who goes in December, so I understand your love of the Grand at that time of year. From my experience I would not buy direct from Disney. The VGF is already expensive as is, and at a $220 a point direct it’s even worse.

Getting a studio that time of year will be incredibly difficult. If you want to go every year only having 100 points will be even more limiting. As other posters have said I would buy resale and buy more points to at least open up some 1 bedrooms if need be (if that’s financially feasible). Keep in mind sometimes even 1 bedrooms that time of your can fill up from what I have seen. The VGF is hard at times even with a moderate amount of points. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I would buy resale and buy enough for a 1 bedroom for your travel times. If New Years is the time of year you are going the most then a late fall (September or October) or even December UY (use year).

If you really want to make sure your get your room, you could try and call up DVC direct and buy a fixed week studio for that time of year. But they might not do it anymore and the cost would probably be the same if you bought enough points for a 2 bedroom resale.

Thanks for the advice! I am concerned with spending the money and then getting shut out and disappointed and having to stay elsewhere. It’s really making me rethink.

Just looked at the RAT as I am booking our stay, and it appears people are already walking both standard view and lake view studios.

Last edited:
I would buy resale and buy enough for a 1 bedroom for your travel times. If New Years is the time of year you are going the most then a late fall (September or October) or even December UY (use year).

If you really want to make sure your get your room, you could try and call up DVC direct and buy a fixed week studio for that time of year. But they might not do it anymore and the cost would probably be the same if you bought enough points for a 2 bedroom resale.
I thought the same. With so few studios, a one bedroom is a lot more likely to be available at 11 months out.

I didn't think DVC was taking any more requests to purchase GFV. You might only be able to get it resale.

We love VGF. We have managed to stay there three times in December. Once in a standard studio. once in a lake view studio. And once in a standard 1 bedroom. Early January should be a little easier than December, but I would still recommend a walk. It should be possible to start a walk around Christmas because the points chart is highest then.

We love VGF. We have managed to stay there three times in December. Once in a standard studio. once in a lake view studio. And once in a standard 1 bedroom. Early January should be a little easier than December, but I would still recommend a walk. It should be possible to start a walk around Christmas because the points chart is highest then.
Marathon might make it hard for early Jan for a studio.

Well, if you don’t buy it then you definitely won’t get to stay there over NYE, right? (Unless you book with cash, which you could still do if you didn’t get it with points, and rent out the points)

I love VGF. Wish I owned there. Not going to happen yet.

I thought the same. With so few studios, a one bedroom is a lot more likely to be available at 11 months out.

I didn't think DVC was taking any more requests to purchase GFV. You might only be able to get it resale.

Thanks! Maybeour sales person was trying to reel us in and it’s not actually available. He was pushing Copper Creek hard and I have no interest in that resort. Pretty but I want to feel like I’m in FL.

Thanks for the advice!!

We became VGF owners in 2014. We have gone every NYE since becoming owners. The first year I didn't know about walking and had to split my stay. Now that I know what it is, I would suggest you walk your reservation for a studio starting in early December. The availability is very small and people are definitely walking their reservations already. I was unable to book anything for the first couple days of December at the 11 month window. I finally got a reservation yesterday exactly at 8:00. When I checked back 30 seconds later, the room was gone again. I am walking my reservation for Christmas and NYE or I will never get it. We enjoy our time their during the holidays. If you decide to go that route, make sure you have enough points for you walk, especially with the increase in the point charts for 2020.

There isn't going to be a guarantee of getting that reservation IMO. It doesn't mean that you won't but December - and NYE - is popular with members and especially popular at VGF. It's so small and requires a lot of points so owners tend to book the smaller villas at a much faster clip than the larger villas. If you're looking for a relatively easy time booking and pretty much guaranteed I would not do VGF for that time.

I'd recommend CCV even less for that time.

175 points is the bare minimum of a contract i would buy. especially with the recent reallocation, 100 points will not give you very much flexibility.

I own at VGF. Buy resale, not direct. Get a contract sent to ROFR before January 19th if you want to avoid the upcoming restrictions being imposed on you. You'll literally save thousands of dollars (possibly tens of thousands). There are really good prices right now, all things considered. You can always add-on direct later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter