VGC - Odd issues

hmcgregoraz

Earning My Ears
Hi,

First DVC stay since buying our resale AKL contracts. They were purchased for a November trip to WDW, but we had expiring points that had to be used by October, and thus before that trip. I was able to get 4 nights, 1 bedroom at VGC basically right at 7 months using the expiring points for a short Disneyland trip with myself (Dad) and three of our kids, ages 16, 13, and 6 (almost 7).

We arrived relatively late, at about 10pm coming from Universal Studios, which was a very long day as we started with the Super Nintendo land early access at ~7am. Had already checked in via the Disneyland app, and had room key access on both my phone and our 16 year old's phone. We had selected self parking ($35/day in the app, but supposed to be waived if DVC staying on points, the charge never did disappear in the app, but does not appear to have been charged to our Credit Card on file), the bell hop had no issues taking our luggage and having the kids go up with them to the room while I self parked the car.

Overall the early access (30 minutes before rope drop) to the parks, and direct access to DCA were quite useful. My daughter got soaked on the Grisly river rapids, and was able to head back to the room and change quite quickly.

That being said, during the stay we had a few issues...

One of the bedroom phones had the handset plugged into the "data" port instead of the handset port, and thus every time I tried to answer I got nothing. Sales attempted to call 3 or 4 times, and of course woke everyone up who were trying to sleep in after the long day at Universal. I attempted to retrieve messages with the message retrieval button, and it kept asking for a mailbox number, I attempted using our room number, and that was not accepted. I asked at the front desk, and they said it was the first four letters of your lastname, which also did not work. Later when I tried dialing 7000 which was in one of the hand outs in the room it did not request the mailbox number and only required me to press "2" to access messages, and I was able to see that it was sales that had attempted to reach us.

I also stopped by the keydesk to get room keys as a backup to our phones, the room keys worked when I tried them but stopped working the next day. I stopped by again to get another set, and was told by the front desk that they might have been demagnitized. The doors do not use the mag stripe of the key, and are proximity based... The second set also stopped working rather quickly too. Phone app always worked, so not a huge issue by itself.

Went to use the Gas BBQs, two nice grills, higher end 3 burner; I had asked ahead of time, DVC guests need to pickup BBQ tools at the front desk. I went down to pickup the tools, and first they could not find them, then they said house keeping was looking for them, then house keeping could only find ones that had not been cleaned, and it would take a bit until they cleaned them, and then finally when house keeping showed up they could only find a pair of BBQ tongs, no brushes for cleaning the grill, and no burger flipper, etc. It worked, as I like tongs even for burgers, and the grill already appeared to be clean. The cast member offered a resort credit for the time and difficulty with this.

We attempted to use the resort credit several times, by swiping our room keys, which did not work. When I complained about this during checkout I was told that I should have used my phone to charge to the room, no mention of why none of the locations I attempted to charge to the room prompted me to use the phone. I could not find a method to see resort balance/credit in the Disneyland app.

The big issue came during check out. We were running a bit late coming in from Disneyland, I attempted to ask the bell desk for help with our luggage while we went thru the main lobby. The bell hop stated that we needed to call 7373 from the room to request bell desk assistance. I messaged my 16 year old who was already back to the room, and asked him to call for a bell hop and luggage cart.

He called, and was still on the phone when I arrived at the room, and they kept pushing him for a count of the number of bags, well, we did not have an exact count, depending on if I took my laptop backpack with me, or with the luggage, and how many plastic Disney bags combined with each other. Both my son and I tried to tell them the number of bags did not matter, as we were not checking luggage, we just wanted help to the car pull up so that we could load the car. The bell desk refused to help without a count of bags.

I called guest services to complain about this, and they then informed me that someone over the age of 18 must accompany the bags at all times; making getting assistance from the bell desk impossible. I could not both stay with the luggage to get to the car loading area, and get the car from self parking at the same time. I could not leave the car in the loading area to go up for luggage, and I could not leave the luggage with our 16 year old while I went to get the car, if we got assistance from the bell desk, because he was not 18 or older.

In the end we consolidated as much as we could and managed to take all of our luggage down to the breezeway ourselves. By the time we figured out that we could manage the luggage ourselves it was past 11am, and the app would no longer let us check out. I attempted to call guest services, and waited several minutes, without getting through to anyone, and we decided to stop at guest services with all of our luggage and see why we could not check out. We were told that we were auto checked out at 11am, and we also were informed that the parking fee had been removed (though it still shows in the app). Guest services offered to see what the bell desk could do but it was kinda pointless by that point. The kids and I got the luggage to the breezeway to wait while I went to get the car from self parking

Guest Services could not explain to me why it was perfectly OK for the luggage and kids to go up to the room with a bell hop, but not permissible for the kids (even oldest) to come down from the room with a bell hop, and they could not explain why the bell desk was so insistent on a count of the number of bags to just help us to the car pull up. It almost felt like this was "punishment" for using self parking vs valet parking, as there is no way for a single adult traveling party to both use self parking and get luggage assistance with this policy.

Overall this experience left a VERY bad impression of VGC. Some of this could be due to it being our first DVC stay, but many parts seem to be overall issues with the resort.

We have been considering a direct purchase of VDH and that is now on hold until after we have more DVC experiences. We have a VGF and AKL reservation set for our first WDW trip and will see how well that goes. We will have 3 additional adults with us, so that should give additional flexibility.

We also own a relatively large resale WorldMark membership and overall for Disneyland we see far more value in WorldMark vs DVC. We know WDW is a different ball game, and being on property is even more important.

-Harry

Last edited:
Hi,

First DVC stay since buying our resale AKL contracts. They were purchased for a November trip to WDW, but we had expiring points that had to be used by October, and thus before that trip. I was able to get 4 nights, 1 bedroom at VGC basically right at 7 months using the expiring points for a short Disneyland trip with myself (Dad) and three of our kids, ages 16, 13, and 6 (almost 7).

We arrived relatively late, at about 10pm coming from Universal Studios, which was a very long day as we started with the Super Nintendo land early access at ~7am. Had already checked in via the Disneyland app, and had room key access on both my phone and our 16 year old's phone. We had selected self parking ($35/day in the app, but supposed to be waived if DVC staying on points, the charge never did disappear in the app, but does not appear to have been charged to our Credit Card on file), the bell hop had no issues taking our luggage and having the kids go up with them to the room while I self parked the car.

Overall the early access (30 minutes before rope drop) to the parks, and direct access to DCA were quite useful. My daughter got soaked on the Grisly river rapids, and was able to head back to the room and change quite quickly.

That being said, during the stay we had a few issues...

One of the bedroom phones had the handset plugged into the "data" port instead of the handset port, and thus every time I tried to answer I got nothing. Sales attempted to call 3 or 4 times, and of course woke everyone up who were trying to sleep in after the long day at Universal. I attempted to retrieve messages with the message retrieval button, and it kept asking for a mailbox number, I attempted using our room number, and that was not accepted. I asked at the front desk, and they said it was the first four letters of your lastname, which also did not work. Later when I tried dialing 7000 which was in one of the hand outs in the room it did not request the mailbox number and only required me to press "2" to access messages, and I was able to see that it was sales that had attempted to reach us.

I also stopped by the keydesk to get room keys as a backup to our phones, the room keys worked when I tried them but stopped working the next day. I stopped by again to get another set, and was told by the front desk that they might have been demagnitized. The doors do not use the mag stripe of the key, and are proximity based... The second set also stopped working rather quickly too. Phone app always worked, so not a huge issue by itself.

Went to use the Gas BBQs, two nice grills, higher end 3 burner; I had asked ahead of time, DVC guests need to pickup BBQ tools at the front desk. I went down to pickup the tools, and first they could not find them, then they said house keeping was looking for them, then house keeping could only find ones that had not been cleaned, and it would take a bit until they cleaned them, and then finally when house keeping showed up they could only find a pair of BBQ tongs, no brushes for cleaning the grill, and no burger flipper, etc. It worked, as I like tongs even for burgers, and the grill already appeared to be clean. The cast member offered a resort credit for the time and difficulty with this.

We attempted to use the resort credit several times, by swiping our room keys, which did not work. When I complained about this during checkout I was told that I should have used my phone to charge to the room, no mention of why none of the locations I attempted to charge to the room prompted me to use the phone. I could not find a method to see resort balance/credit in the Disneyland app.

The big issue came during check out. We were running a bit late coming in from Disneyland, I attempted to ask the bell desk for help with our luggage while we went thru the main lobby. The bell hop stated that we needed to call 7373 from the room to request bell desk assistance. I messaged my 16 year old who was already back to the room, and asked him to call for a bell hop and luggage cart.

He called, and was still on the phone when I arrived at the room, and they kept pushing him for a count of the number of bags, well, we did not have an exact count, depending on if I took my laptop backpack with me, or with the luggage, and how many plastic Disney bags combined with each other. Both my son and I tried to tell them the number of bags did not matter, as we were not checking luggage, we just wanted help to the car pull up so that we could load the car. The bell desk refused to help without a count of bags.

I called guest services to complain about this, and they then informed me that someone over the age of 18 must accompany the bags at all times; making getting assistance from the bell desk impossible. I could not both stay with the luggage to get to the car loading area, and get the car from self parking at the same time. I could not leave the car in the loading area to go up for luggage, and I could not leave the luggage with our 16 year old while I went to get the car, if we got assistance from the bell desk, because he was not 18 or older.

In the end we consolidated as much as we could and managed to take all of our luggage down to the breezeway ourselves. By the time we figured out that we could manage the luggage ourselves it was past 11am, and the app would no longer let us check out. I attempted to call guest services, and waited several minutes, without getting through to anyone, and we decided to stop at guest services with all of our luggage and see why we could not check out. We were told that we were auto checked out at 11am, and we also were informed that the parking fee had been removed (though it still shows in the app). Guest services offered to see what the bell desk could do but it was kinda pointless by that point. The kids and I got the luggage to the breezeway to wait while I went to get the car from self parking

Guest Services could not explain to me why it was perfectly OK for the luggage and kids to go up to the room with a bell hop, but not permissible for the kids (even oldest) to come down from the room with a bell hop, and they could not explain why the bell desk was so insistent on a count of the number of bags to just help us to the car pull up. It almost felt like this was "punishment" for using self parking vs valet parking, as there is no way for a single adult traveling party to both use self parking and get luggage assistance with this policy.

Overall this experience left a VERY bad impression of VGC. Some of this could be due to it being our first DVC stay, but many parts seem to be overall issues with the resort.

We have been considering a direct purchase of VDH and that is now on hold until after we have more DVC experiences. We have a VGF and AKL reservation set for our first WDW trip and will see how well that goes. We will have 3 additional adults with us, so that should give additional flexibility.

We also own a relatively large resale WorldMark membership and overall for Disneyland we see far more value in WorldMark vs DVC. We know WDW is a differnt ball game, and being on property is even more important.

-Harry
Hi - very sorry to hear of your experience at VGC. I would encourage you to share your comments with DVC Member Services through the online contact form, as they need to hear about it.

Re the parking charge showing in the app, that always happens at VGC but as you note, you should not be charged for the DVC stay.

Should you come back to VGC for another visit, there is a short-term self parking area for check-in and check-out, though it is not clearly marked. Ask the bell hops under the portico - you drive through there as if exiting, and take the first left into the small lot across from the convention center entrance. (Second left is the exit back to the street). There are a few spaces in that lot, I think it’s marked 20-minutes, and you can leave a car there while taking luggage or groceries to or from the room. Then, move the car to the self-park lot.

We're long-time DVC members (1997) at OKW and DL locals. I often grab 1 or 2 nights on short notice at VGC and I can totally relate to your issues. After one bad experience with Bell Services I prefer to save myself the aggravation and keep my bags in the car until my room is ready, then I go get them myself (I'm often solo so usually only 1 bag). When I've called DVC to report problems I get someone who's clueless about VGC, just as VGC is clueless about DVC.
Last time I was there, the short-term parking in front of the resort was gone. Don't know if that was temporary or permanent.
I love VGC but I know I have to go in with the mindset that it's not the same as WDW DVC resorts.

Thank you both for your feedback. Hopefully the check-in parking comes back, and either way we now know we can not depend on the bell desk for assistance, and that we need to pack our own BBQ tools.

I also plan to implement our normal timeshare policy of unplugging all phones when we get to the room.

-Harry

We also own a relatively large resale WorldMark membership and overall for Disneyland we see far more value in WorldMark vs DVC. We know WDW is a differnt ball game, and being on property is even more important.
We also own WorldMark and we decided against VDH as well. I own a BWV contract for WDW because as you say, that is a whole different value proposition.

Sadly, while you can pay Waldorf and Ritz prices, you do not get Waldorf and Ritz level of service.

I'm confused....would this not have worked...

Be in the room when the bellhop comes up with the luggage cart. Go with the cart down to the hotel entrance. Take bags off of cart. Thank/tip the bellhop. Have teenager wait there with bags while you bring the car up to load?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what was going on?

I'm confused....would this not have worked...

Be in the room when the bellhop comes up with the luggage cart. Go with the cart down to the hotel entrance. Take bags off of cart. Thank/tip the bellhop. Have teenager wait there with bags while you bring the car up to load?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what was going on?
Hi,

I considered that, but first, the bell desk would not come up to the room without an exact count of bags, which I did not have, and second Guest Services said that someone over 18 had to be with the luggage at all times, which as frustrated as I was at the time, I interpreted as even after getting down to the exit and "claiming" the luggage. I was also concerned that the bell desk would not have released the bags as it seemed they were fixated on holding them, and not transporting them.

In reality your solution probably would have worked if I had invented a number to give the bell desk for the number of bags.

-Harry

It sounds like part of the issue is DLR's tech versus WDW's is fundamentally different, and if you aren't used to it can lead to frustration. A few tips...

When you check in on the app, just select no parking. It makes no difference, they'll ask you at check in.

Keep your room key away from your phones, this seems to be a common issue and this is the most common culprit.

Use your phone in the future for room charges, I don't think I've ever charged to the room on the room key. It's just not seemless in the DLR like it is in WDW because the back end tech is fundamentally different... Apple designed DLR's infrastructure and just fundamentally messed it all up.

Re: bellhop, sounds like an awful experience. I've also had to wait for extended periods of time in the past, but have avoided further issues by keeping things simple. For example, if in the same situation with you being on the way back from the park, have your son avoid the whole age talk altogether. As for the count, I always give them an estimate and that's fine with them. They just need an idea of whether one cart will suffice. Honestly, wait times my past couple trips have been much better than during COVID but that's just my personal experience.

I usually wait for the bellhop in the room on checkout. Once they pick up the bags, I give them the car details, then head to self parking and meet them at the lobby entrance. They're fine with bringing the bags down without you, they just aren't allowed to go into your room with only minors inside because well... That should be obvious.

As someone else mentioned, there's a 15-minute parking spot for check-in right next to the entrance that the attendants can direct you to.

The message light on the phone always eludes me but honestly, we usually unplug the phones (my 4-year-old has managed to call the police from several different hotel rooms).

In all the visits I've made to VGC, I've never seen the bbq used, which is why they struggled to find the tools. I feel like this is a WDW versus DLR culture/clientele thing. I'm glad it worked out for you (and I personally look forward to BBQing this fall at WDW).

I will admit as an east coast and WDW transplant, I was a bit lost and frustrated in my first trip or 2 to VGC and DLR. Knowing the differences and workarounds are key, just like going to WDW for the first time can be daunting and frankly, miserable if you aren't familiar with how things work. I hope that if you return to VGC/DLR in the future you have a better experience.

Hi,

It was very much a learning experience. I expect when we have points available I will try for VGC again at the 7 month mark in the future, but based on this experince, I can't imagine trying to justify a VDH purchase.

We have been to DLR at least 30 times in the last 16 years, but never stayed on property so that aspect was very new.

The issues with BBQ tools was not outside of what I would expect, was worth noting, but I really was not very upset about it. Considering how small the VGC part of the Grand Californian is, and then how few DVC members actually BBQ on a trip, especially at VGC.

Part of why we purchased WorldMark resale is we have a lot of food allergies in the family, and being able to cook helps reduce the stress of traveling quite a bit.

It was surprising that none of the cast members in Disneyland brought up using the phone/app when I brought up charging to the room.

I completely understand needing someone over the age of 18 when the luggage is loaded, but that is not what Guest Services said, they said with the luggage at all times. I also understand needing to know if 1 cart would be enough, but the Bell Desk kept demanding an exact count of bags, and we said 1 cart would be enough and that was not good enough for them. At the time it felt like both were looking for an excuse to say "nope, you are on your own".

It had a VERY abrasive feel to it, which is not what we are used to out of Disney.

We have our first WDW trip in November, and hopefully it has a more Magical feel to it.

-Harry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter