Veteran DVC owners-Do you find you lose points every now and then?

Due to canceled plans, simple lack of planning, unforeseen circumstances?
I only lost points early in my ownership. It was only a couple points but boy did it hurt to let them go! Since then, I manage to make sure that every point is used to make a reservation, either for myself, my family or (most recently) a renter.

Never. We are usually borrowing from the year ahead. However, I have banked and will bank 12 points this year into next.

I recall losing somewhere between 3-8 points somewhere around 2008 or 2009. We had purchased a fully loaded add-on, 3x points, in late 2007 and had a wee bit of trouble using all of them. Yep, just a few dropped off the table. But none since.

Edited to add: DVC member since May 2004.

Edited a second time. Yes, it was 8 points. I found the thread where I hashed it out: https://www.disboards.com/threads/lost-points.1880586/

No. Owned since 1999 and only lost 5 points. That was done purposely so that we could stay in the same room for the entire stay. (Decided late to extend a stay and a waitlist came through less than 31 days prior to arrival).

Nope, no lost points in 20 years. We rented out and transferred some in early years when we were traveling with my parents (staying in their timeshares), but now that we’re retired we’re borrowed ahead and into OTU points!

We maintain a simple spreadsheet and usually plan out possible stays several years ahead.

I’m going to lose 2 points this year, but it was a price I was willing to pay for putting in a waitlist that came through within the 31 day mark. First lost points in 5 years, so not too bad.

Due to canceled plans, simple lack of planning, unforeseen circumstances?
We were planing a grand family gathering over nye in 12, i transferred in points and was able to book the rooms for me and my family. Plans changed...had to cancel and i forgot to cancel one of the reservations....yup i lost points:-(

Lost 25 points once. Member since 03. If I cant use them, I give them to someone I know. If I don't have someone to use them, Ill rent them

Never lost a point so far and I think I've only ever had to bank points once. Now I have purchased points from DVC when I was short on points once.

Never. I'll rent if we have some that we can't use due to cancellations etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter