**** VERY IMPORTANT disABILITIES item I found in a NEW GUIDEBOOK AT THE BOOKSTORE THE OTHER DAY AND

Wheelsie

DIS Veteran
I was in the bookstore the other day...I go occasionally to get new informations to be able to share when I can....

You'll NEVER guess what I read in them....

<font size=6 color=blue>THEY ARE NO LONGER SENDING OUT THE HANDI GUIDEBOOKS, ONLY GIVING THEM OUT WHEN YOU ENTER THE PARKS!!!!!!</font>

Now I'll tell you this if they HADN'T sent me the guidebooks in the mail when I first went in '99 I'd still be looking for a vacation spot!!!! Cus Lord knows Id have never lept into something I wasn't sure of!!!! This just burns my butt!!!

The only time I was GIVEN a guidebook that I didn't ask for while I was on property was at ASMO.... and let me tell you!!!! They (at least in Dec) have a WONDERFUL thing that do....I didnt get this the night b4 at ASMu or at DxL or at Contemp.....

They gave me a green folder with all the park books and a flyer from Walker Medical and a flyer listing medical facilities and one for a pharmacy..... Now if thaat aint class I dont know what is..... and my question is why didnt all the resorts I stayed in do that?? or atleast all the AS's?????

So now I want your opinions and some ideas of how we as a people can change this new policy.....

Im hoppin' mad! But be nice....Be respectful to others and don't scream as I did... I was just trying to make a point LOL :D

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

yyc_mc.gif
dischat.gif

I think they should give them out if you request them before your trip.

Maybe they figure the whole world has internet access and people can get them that way.

We have been lots of times but I still read the new guide book that I get at the hotel the night before we do a park. Heck every year they change the accessible entrance on rides it seems.

Maybe someone or someone in the manager's family at AMO has a disability and understands what it's like.

We are going in July to WDW and we requested last week the guide books to be sent out to us..we called CRO and we recieved them on Tuesday of this week, and last night when I called Special Services to ask about accessible rooms that have a bathtub instead of roll in shower I was asked if I needed the guide books to be sent to me.
(By the way the rooms at Port Orleans/French Quarter have bathtubs instead of roll in showers which is great for those who need an accessible bath but not the roll in shower).

I wouldn't believe the guide book. It doesn't make any sense.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

If it was the Unofficial Guidebook, that one has a lot of errors about other things (and they keep printing them for a long time). So, it wouldn't surprise me if they had an error about this too.†

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I read a few different books that day...and Im relieved to see from you guys they are still sending them out...

Teri...you may wanna rethink your opinions...LOL... the newer ones are a bit more up to date :) I have been comparing my 99 books to my 2000 books to start a post on the diffs :)

and
DisneyTips

yyc_mc.gif
dischat.gif

Help guys! Faeflora - how did you get those guidemaps of the individual parks? I called this morning, both the Walt Disney World Travel Company and the WDW Disney Club number - both CMs told me that I can't get a guidemap for any park until I check in to my hotel. Geez - up until now I'd been really impressed with their responsiveness to special needs.

We're traveling in May with my MIL, who isn't blind but is very vision impaired. She's been to WDW several times, so is familiar with basic park layouts. But I'd like to help her get familiar with where to find the restrooms and the locations of restaurants where we'll be eating. And there are a couple of times she'd like to be on her own if possible. If she can't feel confident she'll be able to hook up with us when she tries, it ain't gonna happen.

I don't care if we have to pay for postage - having those guidemaps before getting down there will REALLY, really help us over some rough spots.

HELP!!

90 honeymoon
95,98, 01 w/kids & grands

Hi KangaT,
I called just the regular number 1-407-WDisney and spoke to a CM. I explained that we needed to do advance planning for the trip and if possible could they send us the guides for all four parks.
They said yes, and they were here in a week. If you do not get any results that way I would suggest calling Resort Special Reservations at 1-407-939-7670. When I called to check on our reservations with them they actually asked if I needed the guides sent to my home.

Hope this helps.

Faeflora :)

If you can't get them anywhere else, email me and I will send you a set or I can scan them and email you the files. I usually have some hanging around.
I think one of the reasons they don't mail out map copies anymore (or at least not too freely) is that the maps are weekly maps now. They used to have just general maps and another paper that told the times for parades, etc. That's on the maps now and the maps are new each week.¨

SueM in MN

Thanks, guys! I called the WDisney # this morning. Despite my explanation of why I wanted them, once again the CM told me they don't send out the guidemaps anymore - until I told her I knew someone who had just received them within the last couple of weeks. Then she put me on hold. When she came back, suddenly there was a fax # I could use to request a copy of the park maps. Amazing! I'll be faxing them tomorrow.

SueM in MN, just in case, I've copied down your e-mail address. If I run into another wall, you'll be hearing from me.

90 honeymoon

Kanga, was that the regular CRO number that you called to request the maps, or the resort special reservations number? I wonder if it makes a difference which office you call... wouldn't be the first time!

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Hi KangaT,
I think the CM's may have gotten confused with the use of the word "maps" in your request. In my discussion with the CM I requested the GuideBook and had no problems, the word "maps" may have gotten the CM's thinking you wanted them to send you an actual map of the parks like the ones handed out at the entrances to each of the parks.
Just a thought, but I am so glad that they are sending you the information.

faeflora

Faeflora - the "maps" are what I actually need. Once upon a time, not so very long ago, WDW included a map of each park with that park's Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. This was confirmed by almost every CM I've spoken with. And most of those CM's thought it was pretty dumb that they've discontinued - one actually pulled out her MK Guidebook for Guests . . . to tell me where the park map was. Boy was she surprised when she couldn't find it either.

For someone like my MIL, who can't read signs when she's not very very close to them, getting a good orientation of the area prior to her visit is extremely helpful. And if, like she's hoping, she'll be on her own a few times while we're doing a ride/show she's not interested in, a pre-orientation to the area is vital.

I've been promised (keep your fingers crossed) that those maps will be sent to me. But Sue M in MN, I'm not getting rid of your e-mail, just in case.

90 honeymoon

Let us know how things turn out....do you know I just looked at my 2000 guide compared to my 99 guide...I was amazed at your revalation that there IS No map on the back page anymore... this is not right....esp since they dont seem to want to send out park maps either.... let us know what you learn...this one has me puzzled

and
DisneyTips

yyc_mc.gif
dischat.gif

I called the "main Disney " number yesterday to request a guidebook and a map (I need to map out Baby stations for changing David..thanks to all who suggested it) I was told that the maps were not available but then I explained what it was for and I was told they would send out the map BUT it might not be current. Thats ok with me since I don't think they are moving the stations around :) I had no problem with the guide book, in fact the CM asked me since they were sending out the one I requested were there any others I needed and he rattled off a few.... we are getting the guidebook for deluxe hotels(Beach Club) so my daughter can cut it up for her scrapbook after we read it...shhhh don't tell I am sure they wouldn't really like this idea ;) I will let you know what we get and when we get it :D

Still waiting on those maps.

FYI - you can download a map of each park from the official WDW web site. But it'll only print a certain portion of the map each time. Even my computer genius friend couldn't help me get a full copy.

90 honeymoon

That last CM I talked to did the trick - I received all 4 theme park maps yesterday in the mail. Plus a transportation guide/map (which I didn't think to ask for, but which will be extremely helpful) and an overall info guide to WDW & the cruises.

Had it not been for support from this board, I don't know if I'd have pursued it beyond the 2nd rejection. Thanks everybody!

I plan to write WDW explaining the difficulty I had in obtaining these maps, the very real need for them, and suggesting they reinstate a park map as part of their Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. If we all dropped them a line about this, eventually we might see a change for the better. What do you say?

90 honeymoon

I think the maps being in the Guidebooks is very important since the Guidebooks do give you some map type info (like where the companion restrooms are), but then don't give you a map to help you visualize where it is. The actual dated maps are so busy that it is hard to find what you need (and I am so familiar with the parks that I know where I am going). A nice black and white line map would be really helpful..

SueM in MN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter