Very first visit this fall - need resort advice

GoDisney18

Earning My Ears
First visit coming this fall, had a wonderful reservation booked at Pop with FD. Then hubby's work schedule changed and couldn't shift the dates at Pop. . So plan B. Booked at Caribbean. Have since read about the bus nightmares, not great dining and the 'un-magical' feel thanks to the construction. Plan C Coronado? My priority is bussing and magic, which is best? Please give me some insight.

Caribbean and Coronado are both under construction. For me, that cuts into the magic a lot. Other people are not bothered by it.

The buses are really about the same everywhere on the property. Have you considered Port Orleans French Quarter? If it's in your budget, check it out. No construction there (that I know of), there's a boat that goes to Disney Springs, which is a nice extra, and the bus transportation there is as good as it gets.

Are those your only options? Is Port Orleans Riverside an option? I stayed at CSR and LOVED it, but it was pre-construction. If your priority is "magic", I just wouldn't take the chance that construction could be disruptive. Also, I think the Big Dig pool will be closed for some time this fall, which is something to consider if you planned any pool time.

If I were you, I'd price out options for other resorts and dates, even if they aren't eligible for the free dining promotion. Depending on the dates and how your family likes to eat, free dining might not even be the most cost effective deal for you.

Both of those are under heavy construction - I'd avoid both. Here's a video from within the last week of Coronado construction:

I'm not being glib, I'd literally book any moderate resort other than those two you mentioned if you're looking for "magic". Cranes and construction noise ain't magical.

I would also suggest either Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter. We prefer POR over FQ, but both are lovely. Both resorts provide boat transportation to Disney Springs, which is really nice and something different from riding the bus all the time.

I would look into Port Orleans FQ as others have mentioned. If buses are one of the things you want simplified, FQ is more straightforward than PORiverside. Plus at either resort you can walk to bus (or boat) to the other and enjoy what each has.

I have stayed at CBR pre-construction and really enjoyed it, no issues with buses or dining. However, I do think the construction will take away from the "magic" and therefore we won't stay at CBR again until the construction is complete. As others have suggested, I would suggest POR or POFQ as alternatives to either CBR or CS. Good luck!

I'll make another vote for Port Orleans over CBR or CS, but you were already at POP so All-Stars are pretty comparable. They are extremely similar in design and construction. The price point is a little lower. POP is a little bit of a better location, but staying at the All-Stars isn't too bad. If you want a lot of over the top Disney theming (like POP), then they won't disappoint. Now, for a first timer, I do think Port Orleans Riverside will make quite an impression (it did on me). It is my favorite Moderate level resort.

We were in a similar situation as we were looking for rooms for Nov 14-18 and we landed at POR after looking at all our options. My issues for not choosing CBR is the room availability, food and construction. When we booked, the only room type open was the pirate themed rooms. Those are far from the main building and a good bit of walking. The pros of CBR was the pool and that was about it. The price was comparable to POR and CSR. CSR was our first choice but the availability disappeared and there are now only executive suites for $1100/nt, LOL!! That's not happening. But it was our choice over CBR since many of the rooms have been refurbished and all the vlogs and blogs about the construction is that it's much less invasive since you still have dining options, HOWEVER the dig site (the main pool) will be closed starting 9/4 through December I believe. So that could be a deal killer.

So we landed at POR. We've stayed there before and we know we like it, we did the royal rooms and this time we're doing the alligator bayou with the pull down bed. If walking or buses is a concern, you could do POFQ as it's smaller in size than PO resort but do be aware that depending on demand, POR and POFQ share buses. We've been there twice and never have had any issues with buses.

Now be aware POR is doing a soft goods room refurb and an alligator bayou pool closure next to building 24-28 but the main pool is still open. I think goes through November or December but this is much less noticeable from what the CM told me than what's happening at CBR and CSR. And if you stay at POR or POFQ, you can use either resorts pools and other amenities.

We love POR and we've stayed at a handful or resorts from value to deluxe, it's our favorite moderate resort for the lush landscaping, boat to Disney Springs, the river, the peaceful nature and food choices. If it were me, I'd choose POR. I can't give any preference over POFQ since I've never stayed there and likely would have on our upcoming trip but the rooms at POR were slightly cheaper and our girls wanted a pull down bed so they don't have to share.

Oh and to add, it might be the best thing that FD isn't an option for you. We looked at the Nov 24-27 FD and since my husband couldn't make those dates work we landed on 11/14-11/18 which actually will save us about $900. I crunched the numbers and added in our food costs over the 5 days and it's less than what the FD package was for us when we looked at CSR, POP and of course AKL. The FD isn't really free when you pay full rack rate for your room. Don't fret if you need to lose FD, it's not always the best option.

Oh and to add, it might be the best thing that FD isn't an option for you. We looked at the Nov 24-27 FD and since my husband couldn't make those dates work we landed on 11/14-11/18 which actually will save us about $900. I crunched the numbers and added in our food costs over the 5 days and it's less than what the FD package was for us when we looked at CSR, POP and of course AKL. The FD isn't really free when you pay full rack rate for your room. Don't fret if you need to lose FD, it's not always the best option.

FD will save us FAR more than any other discount Disney offers. We're staying at a Value. Rack rate is around $130. We're staying 9 nights with hoppers and upgraded from QS to DDP. $4200 for 4 adults. There is no other discount that can come close. Even if I could somehow find a bargain room rate for $75/nt at POP that would save $495 for 9 nights. For 4 adults our food bill will be way over that $495!!!

For 2 adults staying at a deluxe where you can often get 40% off the RO discount will certainly be better than FD. Or for those that do not dine at a TS every night or do but at the lower priced restaurants then FD may not save them.

FD will save us FAR more than any other discount Disney offers. We're staying at a Value. Rack rate is around $130. We're staying 9 nights with hoppers and upgraded from QS to DDP. $4200 for 4 adults. There is no other discount that can come close. Even if I could somehow find a bargain room rate for $75/nt at POP that would save $495 for 9 nights. For 4 adults our food bill will be way over that $495!!!

For 2 adults staying at a deluxe where you can often get 40% off the RO discount will certainly be better than FD. Or for those that do not dine at a TS every night or do but at the lower priced restaurants then FD may not save them.

Of course, it's all about numbers- for us as two adults and two kids (who eat like birds), we spend way less on food OOP than with FD. We also don't buy hoppers so when we factor in what we would normally buy and pay OOP with what the FD promo offered, it didn't make any financial sense. But it didn't really matter anyway since schedules changed and the November dates no longer worked for us. The more Disney adults you can pack in a room, the more FD makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter