Very expensive high end professional hairdryer???

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
I have ruled out the Dyson, as I am not sure it is the one for me.
I am hearing a few reports that the results are not always there (soft/smooth hair)

for several reasons, I would love a hair dryer that
1. works well on my thick unruly hair.
2. is very light weight
3. is very quiet.

Well... that is like the holy grail !

I am looking at the Harry Josh ultra light. Less than one pound. Appears to be very quiet. And has a following among great hairdressers. But... the price... :eek: :faint:
I am ready to pull the trigger and invest.

Do any of you have one of these, or can recommend another option?

Do you like your hair to be straight-ish? If so, I can't recommend the Revlon One-Step Hairdryer/Volumizer enough. It's about $60. I have previously used high end hair dryers (Baybliss, GHD) but those sit unused in my cupboard, and I exclusively use the Revlon. It takes less than 10 minutes, and I look like I have a professional blow out every time I use it. Check out the reviews- it's really amazing.
I would not necessarily call it quiet. I don't find it particularly heavy, but I wouldn't call it lightweight, either. But I absolutely love it!

Do you like your hair to be straight-ish? If so, I can't recommend the Revlon One-Step Hairdryer/Volumizer enough. It's about $60. I have previously used high end hair dryers (Baybliss, GHD) but those sit unused in my cupboard, and I exclusively use the Revlon. It takes less than 10 minutes, and I look like I have a professional blow out every time I use it. Check out the reviews- it's really amazing.
I would not necessarily call it quiet. I don't find it particularly heavy, but I wouldn't call it lightweight, either. But I absolutely love it!

yes! I got this from Amazon of Black Friday for $30 and just love it! I have wavy hair which always requires blow drying and then straightening. I can use this to blow dry and straighten at the same time and though I still have to use a straightener for a few problem areas, I can now do my hair in 20 mins compared to the hour or so it used to take.

For those of you recommending the Revlon dryer, do you have to use a roundbrush while you straighten your hair? I’m uncoordinated.

Thanks! I think I am going to do the unthinkable and spend THAT much money to try this Harry Josh, and protect my hearing, my arms/shoulders, and my hair.

I looked at Drybar. I am not an expert, but I have had to work with my thick unruly hair for, like, my whole life. (and I am almost older than dirt), and I know that there are several 'techniques' in a couple of the video's I just watched that I would never recommend. And I much prefer the cheaper styling brushes that I use.
I would take my WetBrush over their yellow de-tangler. (unless, maybe it softens up after break-in.) as well as the large round brush that I use. I would never consider using a hair dryer without the directional/concentrater nozzle, which would not get the same same results. I have seen this mentioned on several good hair web-sites. And, what is with every hairstyle having that dated 1970's 'flip'?

Scoutie, what seems to be difficult, or the issue, when you try a blowout using a round-brush.
What is your hair type?
And, which round brush do you have.

I always have to blow-out my hair... but I do not go about it exactly the way shown in those videos mentioned.
It doesn't have to be that detailed, or complex, or difficult.

. I would never consider using a hair dryer without the directional/concentrater nozzle, which would not get the same same results.

The place where I get my hair done tells clients that if you don't use the concentrator nozzle, then you might as well just hang your head out of the car window to dry your hair :-)

Love my Dyson! I have very thick wavy hair prone to frizz and it is amazing!

Buttercup, not cheap but dries my daughter’s thick hair in half the time and leaves hair very smooth!

I put in an order for the Harry Josh...
Supposed to be:
Less than one pound. (for my poor arms!)
Should be very quiet for a hairdryer. (for my hearing!)
and powerful. (for this thick course hair!)

It is almost the only one I am seeing that can truly say all of those things.
I will report back when it arrives!!!!

I did get a look at the Dyson, and it seems really good, but that round, larger diameter, handle is just not ergonomic.
Hey, gopack... I am hearing a few reports that the the Dyson might not leave the hair 'smooth' for some people.
For some reason, that is what the one single video I found where a Harry Josh user tries the Dyson.
Maybe it is the high wind-speed and less heat on the Dyson?????
What conditioners do you use?

I have used the CROC compact professional hair dryer.
It is a very good and very powerful dryer.
I crank that baby on high!
But the heat finally went out on mine, and I just have to have one that is lighter and quieter.
I consider it a physical/medical necessity!!!! Hahahaha!!!

PS: I use a Wetbrush to detangle and pre-rough dry (some say Harry Josh' brush is even better)
And this Revlon large round styling brush:
www.revlonhairtools.com/products/brushes-and-combs/perfect-style-1-8221-round-porcupine-brush

Last edited:
Scoutie, what seems to be difficult, or the issue, when you try a blowout using a round-brush.
What is your hair type?
And, which round brush do you have.

I always have to blow-out my hair... but I do not go about it exactly the way shown in those videos mentioned.
It doesn't have to be that detailed, or complex, or difficult.
I have really thick, long hair. I usually use a straightener on it but love the way it looks with a professional blow out. It seems like when I use a round or flat brush my hair just gets poofier. I have a salon grade round brush that I got at a blowout bootcamp class where I clearly learned nothing lol.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally got that link for that Revlon brush to post!
My hair is pretty thick/course and unruly.
When I don't blow it out, it is like crazy 'beach hair', or half African American hair!!!
Lots of heat, and blowing-out on high, with this vented styling brush does not leave anything poofy.
On a winter day, or drier summer day, my hair will look almost really straight and sleek.
a more natural straight, not like stick/straw/Asian flat-iron straight.
(now, Summer humidity, that can still bring out the beast in my hair!)

Last edited:
The Dyson ROCKS on my very thick, coarse hair. I get it dry and smooth faster than with any other dryer I’ve ever used.

I love it so much that I gifted my hair stylist with one. She RAVES about it and says it is a real game changer for her, with faster drying time and smoother results than any of the pro dryers she had been using. Several of her other customers have bought one after trying hers.

With the weight mostly in the handle grip rather than the top part, it’s much easier on the hand and wrist than traditional pistol style dryers.

I put in an order for the Harry Josh...
Supposed to be:
Less than one pound. (for my poor arms!)
Should be very quiet for a hairdryer. (for my hearing!)
and powerful. (for this thick course hair!)

It is almost the only one I am seeing that can truly say all of those things.
I will report back when it arrives!!!!

I did get a look at the Dyson, and it seems really good, but that round, larger diameter, handle is just not ergonomic.
Hey, gopack... I am hearing a few reports that the the Dyson might not leave the hair 'smooth' for some people.
For some reason, that is what the one single video I found where a Harry Josh user tries the Dyson.
Maybe it is the high wind-speed and less heat on the Dyson?????
What conditioners do you use?

I have used the CROC compact professional hair dryer.
It is a very good and very powerful dryer.
I crank that baby on high!
But the heat finally went out on mine, and I just have to have one that is lighter and quieter.
I consider it a physical/medical necessity!!!! Hahahaha!!!

PS: I use a Wetbrush to detangle and pre-rough dry (some say Harry Josh' brush is even better)
And this Revlon large round styling brush:
www.revlonhairtools.com/products/brushes-and-combs/perfect-style-1-8221-round-porcupine-brush
My hair is extremely thick and wavy and the Dyson leaves my hair super smooth. I do not use fancy conditioners. Right now I am using TRESemme that I bought at Sam’s Club in a giant pump bottle. I rarely have to use my flat iron. I even take it with me when I travel because I cannot stand to use other dryers now. My hairdresser said it may not work well for people with fine hair.

Interesting, I thought about getting a Dyson but read some bad reviews...but you never know with reviews on the internet. I guess I will have to take a second look.

I am seeing the same thing with the Dyson...
Many raves, but there are few out there where it is not getting the results and smoothness.
I saw the one youtube where the stylist had the Harry Josh, but didn't get the results with the Dyson.
Odd???
I am not sure if it might be a user issue, or hair product thing, or what????
If this dryer can be used with or without the ionic technology, maybe it is being used with that turned off?
I am sure it is a great dryer!
The one factor for me is the ergonomics of the large, round, handle. Since most of the workings are in the handle.
Not sure that is the best for my small hands.

I will report back on the Harry Josh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!