Very expensive annual pass mistake

ellisin

Mouseketeer
Learn from my mistake:

We renewed our annual passes last year, but my husband never used his (I used mine). We’re going to Disney next month, right when the Incredi-passes have to be renewed (we’ll be there Oct 12 and 13. The pass expires on the 12). I assumed his renewal would roll over; that his annual pass would start when he used it for the first time.

Nope. When I called Disney to find out why I couldn’t make him a park reservation for Oct 13, I was told that his pass expires the 12. If he wants to go into the parks on Oct 13, I have to buy a new ticket or annual pass for him. (New annual passes start when activated, but renewals start immediately).

I have essentially paid $1100 for ONE PARK DAY.

I really wish I knew that before I renewed his pass last year.

Learn from my mistake:

We renewed our annual passes last year, but my husband never used his (I used mine). We’re going to Disney next month, right when the Incredi-passes have to be renewed (we’ll be there Oct 12 and 13. The pass expires on the 12). I assumed his renewal would roll over; that his annual pass would start when he used it for the first time.

Nope. When I called Disney to find out why I couldn’t make him a park reservation for Oct 13, I was told that his pass expires the 12. If he wants to go into the parks on Oct 13, I have to buy a new ticket or annual pass for him. (New annual passes start when activated, but renewals start immediately).

I have essentially paid $1100 for ONE PARK DAY.

I really wish I knew that before I renewed his pass last year.
Sorry you learned this lesson the hard (and expensive) way. Nice of you to give everyone this reminder.

I would plead your case with guest services. They can see that the pass was never used, maybe they'd show some mercy? I'm sure sorry that happened to you.

I thought you had 1 year to use the AP for the first time? Then the clock starts rolling.

Oh now i get it - this goes for a renewal.

I would plead your case with guest services. They can see that the pass was never used, maybe they'd show some mercy? I'm sure sorry that happened to you.
Calling Disney did no good, I’m afraid. They said there’s nothing they can do and that this is a long standing policy.

Embarrassing on my part; we’ve been passholders for years and never knew about the policy.

Calling Disney did no good, I’m afraid. They said there’s nothing they can do and that this is a long standing policy.

Embarrassing on my part; we’ve been passholders for years and never knew about the policy.
We only knew about this because we wanted to change our start date. Couldn’t do it with renewal, of course, Guess that’s why they give a renewal discount, because you get no flexibility on when it starts.

I did this two different times in years past. They gave me credit for what I had paid snd charged me the additional increase for the current year. Relatively minimal additional.

Good luck.

I did this two different times in years past. They gave me credit for what I had paid snd charged me the additional increase for the current year. Relatively minimal additional.

Good luck.
They had no sympathy over the phone. I was told flatly there was nothing they could do.

They really know how to make an annual passholder feel special. I’ve decided against renewing his pass again. I’ve already paid $1100 for no service at all; I can’t take the chance of it happening again.

I have had season ski passes on occasion and you would be shocked at the % of people that buy those and never use them - it's like 30%.
Our long-standing rule with Disney APs is we don't buy them until the first day we intend to use them. Renewals are only a good deal if you go on a really regular basis.

They had no sympathy over the phone. I was told flatly there was nothing they could do.

They really know how to make an annual passholder feel special. I’ve decided against renewing his pass again. I’ve already paid $1100 for no service at all; I can’t take the chance of it happening again.
When you go next month, stop at Guest Services at your first park and ask what can be done. It's worth 10 minutes of your time. In person can be tougher to turn down. Explain your not knowing how it worked. Disney is generally excellent with guest recovery. Understand that if they take care of you that it is an exception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter