VERO BEACH Information & Adoration Thread

I don't know, but I'd certainly ask. A couple of years ago, we showed up with our WDW mugs and asked if they would work at Vero. The reply was that they should and if they didn't, they'd do whatever was necessary so we'd have mugs to use. And it might depend who you ask. We also had a Tables in Wonderland card dissolve when we got caught in a rainstorm, and the Food & Beverage manager called to have them issue us a new card when we got back to WDW, plus she made sure she gave us the TIW discount on all our meals at VB. Very helpful indeed!
Thanks, always found the staff helpful, "never hurts to ask". :thumbsup2::yes::

We have a split stay, Vero and OKW in August. In the past, we have done the split reverse and have used the refillable mugs from the DDP at Vero, we showed them the receipt and they activated them. I like having the refillable mugs at Vero, come in handy at the beach and pool, usually very hot. Does anyone know if since it can be shown on our reservation that we have already paid for the DDP, that when we arrive at Vero we can be given our refillable mugs????:scratchin:confused: Thanks in advance!:goodvibes

I agree--you could ask since the CM's at Vero are so amazing. I'm pretty sure the actual rules with mugs are they are not activated until you check into your reservation with a DDP or purchase them and then they are active for 14 days at any resorts. We have used the same mugs at HHI and Vero with no trouble. We have also done a split stay at Disney and only had the DDP added to the 2nd half of the trip and were not able to redeem our mugs until checking into the 2nd reservation. Since they are "included" with the DDP I don't think there is way to have OKW credit them if you purchase at Vero either :(

We also love having mugs at Vero and not having to haul drinks with us!

Also, completely unrelated to this post--but are there stairs available at the Inn if you are staying on 3rd/4th floor? We have always stayed in the Buildings in the past and my DD is not a fan of elevators..lol

I agree--you could ask since the CM's at Vero are so amazing. I'm pretty sure the actual rules with mugs are they are not activated until you check into your reservation with a DDP or purchase them and then they are active for 14 days at any resorts. We have used the same mugs at HHI and Vero with no trouble. We have also done a split stay at Disney and only had the DDP added to the 2nd half of the trip and were not able to redeem our mugs until checking into the 2nd reservation. Since they are "included" with the DDP I don't think there is way to have OKW credit them if you purchase at Vero either :(

We also love having mugs at Vero and not having to haul drinks with us!

Also, completely unrelated to this post--but are there stairs available at the Inn if you are staying on 3rd/4th floor? We have always stayed in the Buildings in the past and my DD is not a fan of elevators..lol
We will be in a studio. Funny, your DD and I "think alike"...if I can take the stairs, I will. Unfortunately, when our DS was an infant, 2 months, I wanted to take a stroll around the mall, get some exercise and get out a bit with the stroller. In Macys, the elevator stopped, no one else was with us, just me and the baby. I panicked, got very scared, but was only stuck about 5 minutes, but unfortunately, that stayed with me.:( I take elevators if I have to, but I really don't love them. Thanks for input, I didn't think there would be a way, but if the reverse is possible, there should be a procedure that if they can see that I have purchased DDP for OKW, second portion of split, you would think that they could give the mug for us to use, as long as it was within 14 days. If I lost it, my tough luck, but it would be nice if there was a procedure for folks going to Vero first, then WDW...the reverse way is easy, as we have experienced before.

We bought VB 10 years ago resale as our first DVC, but have never been! :blush: I'm looking at doing a 3 or 4-day stay in June with my preteen DD as a girls trip. She thinks she's a teen and just wants a beach vacation, but I know she will not be content lounging and relaxing all day. :beach: What types of things in the area would you guys suggest? We will have a rental car.

Yes, there are stairs. We stayed on the 4th floor three weeks ago, and we often took the stairs vice the elevator because they were often more convenient. We were in 2415, which put us exactly diagonal to the elevators across the open foyer. The stairs, on the other hand, were just out our door and to the left.

If you're in the parking garage, the stairs are located in the second alcove that does not have the elevators. If you're in the lobby area, walk toward the Wind and the Waves but instead of taking a left to get to the restaurant, take a right down a small, short hallway. As those stairs undoubtedly butt up against some guest rooms, we made sure to not be too loud in the stairwells which, of course, are mostly cement and metal. :thumbsup2

We bought VB 10 years ago resale as our first DVC, but have never been! :blush: I'm looking at doing a 3 or 4-day stay in June with my preteen DD as a girls trip. She thinks she's a teen and just wants a beach vacation, but I know she will not be content lounging and relaxing all day. :beach: What types of things in the area would you guys suggest? We will have a rental car.
I'm interested to see the suggestions you get. We have stayed at VB quite a few times, and each time we have ventured outside the resort for at least one dinner. And we haven't found anything great, although the pirate restaurant is certainly something to see, but I just remember eating a lot of fried food. And you'll be doing a bit of driving to get to anything outside the resort. I have two girls, who were ages 6 to14 at the various times we've been there. They were usually content to bounce between the beach and pool all day (they are very closely located to each other) and partake of the many kid activities offered on the daily schedule. some are free, and some involved a craft fee. And there are always organized pool activities. We have also been there during the turtle festival in July, and which starts very early, and it's fun. If you are there when there is a character meal, it's worth doing. It's a good buffet, and the least expensive character meal you'll ever go to. I think you have to call the resort to book that. Be assured that you'll be in bed early at night, because everything shuts down by 10 pm, and it's very quiet. We did enjoy watching so many old Disney movies from the library in the store. That's usually what we did after a walk around after dinner. Do find the underground tunnel and walk to the area across the road from the resort. It's very rustic. And be prepared for the daily afternoon thunderstorm in the afternoon. We returned a lot of soaking wet beach towels! If you want a chairs and umbrella set up at the beach, they rent very quickly, so put your reservation in the day before. We usually do that one day or two, and just walk and swim the other days.

For not knowing the answer to your question, I had a lot to say! I hope it is helpful.

I, too, will be interested in any suggestions you get. My youngest daughter (now in college) loved to go there because she did enjoy hanging at the beach or the pool. I also believe there is a small miniature golf course at VB, too, for something like $5 (9 holes). Beyond that and the scheduled activities, I'm not sure there is a ton to do since the resort is actually several miles outside of the town center proper. My wife and I were there three weeks ago, and as moreisgood said, the main choices for food outside of the resort are mostly fried foods. There are a few nicer places (where you can dress casually) but none of them had the sort of fresh seafood you'd expect from being so close to the beach. For example, HHI has numerous places to enjoy boils, grills, and other very fresh seafood options. VB, not so much. We enjoyed our time there to be sure--and the CMs are great--but we'd consider VB more of a wind down, leisurely lie around vacation spot.

Enjoy Vero, but we only do Vero for max 4 days, usually combine with WDW or Ft Lauderdsle. Restaurants are good, but downside is driving!Very relaxing!

Yes, there are stairs. We stayed on the 4th floor three weeks ago, and we often took the stairs vice the elevator because they were often more convenient. We were in 2415, which put us exactly diagonal to the elevators across the open foyer. The stairs, on the other hand, were just out our door and to the left.

If you're in the parking garage, the stairs are located in the second alcove that does not have the elevators. If you're in the lobby area, walk toward the Wind and the Waves but instead of taking a left to get to the restaurant, take a right down a small, short hallway. As those stairs undoubtedly butt up against some guest rooms, we made sure to not be too loud in the stairwells which, of course, are mostly cement and metal. :thumbsup2

Thank you! We have walked the lobby many, many times but never noticed the stair access. I figured they had to be somewhere but came up empty with a google search and couldn't think of a place they would be.

A full weekend of talking my DD in and out of the elevator would not have been pleasant. She is so bad sometimes we load in with luggage and press the button and she bolts out the door right before it closes and leaves us no opportunity to follow her. The first time she did that at a hotel I had a minor panic attack thinking about how many floors she was above us and alone but she is now almost 12 and we have come to expect and anticipate her elevator bolts..lol
I know exactly where you are talking about from your description!

@jerseygal--You have a reason to be terrified--my DD has yet to have a bad experience with an elevator-she just is truly terrified!!

Thank you! We have walked the lobby many, many times but never noticed the stair access. I figured they had to be somewhere but came up empty with a google search and couldn't think of a place they would be.

A full weekend of talking my DD in and out of the elevator would not have been pleasant. She is so bad sometimes we load in with luggage and press the button and she bolts out the door right before it closes and leaves us no opportunity to follow her. The first time she did that at a hotel I had a minor panic attack thinking about how many floors she was above us and alone but she is now almost 12 and we have come to expect and anticipate her elevator bolts..lol
I know exactly where you are talking about from your description!

@jerseygal--You have a reason to be terrified--my DD has yet to have a bad experience with an elevator-she just is truly terrified!!
You can also call the resort ahead of time, and ask for a second floor room. There is a beautiful staircase to the lobby.

I'm interested to see the suggestions you get. We have stayed at VB quite a few times, and each time we have ventured outside the resort for at least one dinner. And we haven't found anything great, although the pirate restaurant is certainly something to see, but I just remember eating a lot of fried food. And you'll be doing a bit of driving to get to anything outside the resort. I have two girls, who were ages 6 to14 at the various times we've been there. They were usually content to bounce between the beach and pool all day (they are very closely located to each other) and partake of the many kid activities offered on the daily schedule. some are free, and some involved a craft fee. And there are always organized pool activities. We have also been there during the turtle festival in July, and which starts very early, and it's fun. If you are there when there is a character meal, it's worth doing. It's a good buffet, and the least expensive character meal you'll ever go to. I think you have to call the resort to book that. Be assured that you'll be in bed early at night, because everything shuts down by 10 pm, and it's very quiet. We did enjoy watching so many old Disney movies from the library in the store. That's usually what we did after a walk around after dinner. Do find the underground tunnel and walk to the area across the road from the resort. It's very rustic. And be prepared for the daily afternoon thunderstorm in the afternoon. We returned a lot of soaking wet beach towels! If you want a chairs and umbrella set up at the beach, they rent very quickly, so put your reservation in the day before. We usually do that one day or two, and just walk and swim the other days.

For not knowing the answer to your question, I had a lot to say! I hope it is helpful.

I, too, will be interested in any suggestions you get. My youngest daughter (now in college) loved to go there because she did enjoy hanging at the beach or the pool. I also believe there is a small miniature golf course at VB, too, for something like $5 (9 holes). Beyond that and the scheduled activities, I'm not sure there is a ton to do since the resort is actually several miles outside of the town center proper. My wife and I were there three weeks ago, and as moreisgood said, the main choices for food outside of the resort are mostly fried foods. There are a few nicer places (where you can dress casually) but none of them had the sort of fresh seafood you'd expect from being so close to the beach. For example, HHI has numerous places to enjoy boils, grills, and other very fresh seafood options. VB, not so much. We enjoyed our time there to be sure--and the CMs are great--but we'd consider VB more of a wind down, leisurely lie around vacation spot.

Enjoy Vero, but we only do Vero for max 4 days, usually combine with WDW or Ft Lauderdsle. Restaurants are good, but downside is driving!Very relaxing!
Thanks for the responses so far! Now that I think of it, we had a wonderful time relaxing at Aulani, even though it was nearly too cold for the pool and beach when we were there, plus we love the Community Hall activities. We'll have to figure out the food situation. We may combine with a quick day or 2 at WDW since we are AP holders, but DD has a really hard time above 75 degrees, much less 90, so we'll have to be strategic with park time and popsicles. :tilt::mickeybar

I'll through out some suggestions for no particular age group even though I know teens were mentioned.

June and July you can do the night time sea turtle walks. I recommend purchasing tickets through the Sebastian Park Inlet. You can reserve online and they are $10 each. These can book up quickly.

Airboat rides. We have used Wilderness Airboat and Gator Bait. Bother were good and they are the same price. I believe it was $35 per person. If you are going in the summer and want to see gators-and who doesn't want to see gators-go earlier in the morning. Otherwise, it gets hot and they hang in the water. The boat ride itself is also a lot of fun.

If you like kayaking, Riverside Marina rents kayaks and paddleboards. My sis-in-law did this, but I have not. She really enjoyed it and saw manatees and dolphins.

If you use the bikes at Disney, the Jungle Trail is very close and a perfect place to ride bikes. If you cross A1A and stay on 510, you will go about a 1/4 mile and on the left side of the road there is the entrance to the Jungle Trail. It is quiet, almost no traffic. Pretty views of the lagoon, causeway, marinas. Just a peacful 8 mile loop if you go all the way around. The last half will be headed back on A1A sidewalk so you can't miss Disney.

Riverside Theater has free concerts throughout the year and it can be a fun way to spend the evening outside. They have a website with a calendar of events.

McClarty Treasure Museum. Interesting and $2 entrance fee if you are interested in the ship wrecks off the Vero area. One wreck was dubbed the Green Cabin wreck and it located right off the Disney beach.

Mel Fisher Treasure Museum. Also interesting. This one covers more of Mel Fisher and his family.

Ocean Drive. It has cute little shops, restaurants and it is a great place to get ice cream--Countryside Citrus and Cravings are both good ice cream.

We did a sunset cruise one evening and it was very enjoyable. We left from a marina in Micco(easy drive on US 1). I believe it was $75 an hour and there were 4 of us. We took drinks and snacks and had a beautiful view of the sunset. I would do this again. I searched sunset cruises and then chose the one I thought would work best. There are many options.

You can also do the same type of search for fishing trips--either lagoon or deep sea. We(well not me) have done both. I can't handle deep sea anything. Our family enjoyed both of them, but the fishing was better with the deep sea.

I'm sure I'll think of something else later. This is what is off the top of my head.

Enjoy Vero!

I will list some restaurants that are either on the island or over on the mainland. I'm getting ready to head out, so it won't have addresses.

Riverside Cafe

Orchid Island Brewery-Ocean Drive. Simple menu, but I like everything the have

Squid Lips- I like their fish n chips

Mr. Manatees

American Icon Brewery- not just a brewery. Good pub type food

Mo Bay Grill- good jerk chicken

Casey's- great burgers! Down by Ocean Drive

Lemon Tree- Good breakfast and lunch on Ocean Drive

Outriggers- Hole in the wall, but great smoked wings

Crab E Bills- they also offer a brunch

This is just a sampling of some of the ones we have been to. None of them are upscale. If you want that, let me know and I can suggest a few.

I will list some restaurants that are either on the island or over on the mainland. I'm getting ready to head out, so it won't have addresses.

Riverside Cafe

Orchid Island Brewery-Ocean Drive. Simple menu, but I like everything the have

Squid Lips- I like their fish n chips

Mr. Manatees

American Icon Brewery- not just a brewery. Good pub type food

Mo Bay Grill- good jerk chicken

Casey's- great burgers! Down by Ocean Drive

Lemon Tree- Good breakfast and lunch on Ocean Drive

Outriggers- Hole in the wall, but great smoked wings

Crab E Bills- they also offer a brunch

This is just a sampling of some of the ones we have been to. None of them are upscale. If you want that, let me know and I can suggest a few.

I would like hear about the upscale restaurants, please.

If you use the bikes at Disney, the Jungle Trail is very close and a perfect place to ride bikes. If you cross A1A and stay on 510, you will go about a 1/4 mile and on the left side of the road there is the entrance to the Jungle Trail. It is quiet, almost no traffic. Pretty views of the lagoon, causeway, marinas. Just a peacful 8 mile loop if you go all the way around. The last half will be headed back on A1A sidewalk so you can't miss Disney.

Riverside Theater has free concerts throughout the year and it can be a fun way to spend the evening outside. They have a website with a calendar of events.

Ocean Drive. It has cute little shops, restaurants and it is a great place to get ice cream--Countryside Citrus and Cravings are both good ice cream.

Thank you for this info. My DH will like the Jungle Trail but I'm not sure my 6yr old DGD would be able to handle it, is it paved? Do you know if we would need to be concerned about no-see-ums at the Riverside Theater. The DGD's are 3 and 6 and are mosquito magnets. Thanks for the ice cream suggestion, I was trying to figure out how to get the family to Ocean Drive (if I mentioned cute shops 1/2 would scatter) ;)

I'll through out some suggestions for no particular age group even though I know teens were mentioned.

June and July you can do the night time sea turtle walks. I recommend purchasing tickets through the Sebastian Park Inlet. You can reserve online and they are $10 each. These can book up quickly.

Airboat rides. We have used Wilderness Airboat and Gator Bait. Bother were good and they are the same price. I believe it was $35 per person. If you are going in the summer and want to see gators-and who doesn't want to see gators-go earlier in the morning. Otherwise, it gets hot and they hang in the water. The boat ride itself is also a lot of fun.

If you like kayaking, Riverside Marina rents kayaks and paddleboards. My sis-in-law did this, but I have not. She really enjoyed it and saw manatees and dolphins.

McClarty Treasure Museum. Interesting and $2 entrance fee if you are interested in the ship wrecks off the Vero area. One wreck was dubbed the Green Cabin wreck and it located right off the Disney beach.

Mel Fisher Treasure Museum. Also interesting. This one covers more of Mel Fisher and his family.

We did a sunset cruise one evening and it was very enjoyable. We left from a marina in Micco(easy drive on US 1). I believe it was $75 an hour and there were 4 of us. We took drinks and snacks and had a beautiful view of the sunset. I would do this again. I searched sunset cruises and then chose the one I thought would work best. There are many options.

You can also do the same type of search for fishing trips--either lagoon or deep sea. We(well not me) have done both. I can't handle deep sea anything. Our family enjoyed both of them, but the fishing was better with the deep sea.

I'm sure I'll think of something else later. This is what is off the top of my head.

Enjoy Vero!
We did the Jungle Trail, 3 adults, didn’t realize it was 8 miles. Problem is, when we were there, end of May 2 years ago, bike rentals by the pool didn’t open up till 9am, was quite hot, after an hour bike ride it was too hot! Hoping in August that they open at 8am, like biking early!

Thank you for this info. My DH will like the Jungle Trail but I'm not sure my 6yr old DGD would be able to handle it, is it paved? Do you know if we would need to be concerned about no-see-ums at the Riverside Theater. The DGD's are 3 and 6 and are mosquito magnets. Thanks for the ice cream suggestion, I was trying to figure out how to get the family to Ocean Drive (if I mentioned cute shops 1/2 would scatter) ;)
I think it is paved, but imo, too far for children that age. Maybe you could start it and turn around half way or sooner than that. Enjoy, we enjoyed it!

@wdwcoltsfan...we enjoy Lemon Tree for breakfast or lunch and Riverside Cafe as well!:thumbsup2Kyacks sound fun at Riverside Marina, we love kyacking! Any alligators?:confused::scared1::scared1:

I will try to get everyone's questions answered.

Fine dining. Most of these are seafood oriented menus, but I believe they all have meat options as well. In general, The Tides seems to get the best feedback.

Ocean Grill

The Tides

The Wave-Coste D Este Resort

Citrus Grillhouse

The Jungle Trail is only 8 miles if you do the full loop. It is a hard packed limestone on the trail and sidewalk on A1A. I'm not an avid bike rider, but I really enjoy it back there. Easy to ride and very little traffic of any type. I agree that you don't want to go out in mid afternoon in the summer. Depending on the temps, sunset can be beautiful on the trail. There are many times where we bike down until we reach A1A and then turn around and go back home, so not doing the full loop.

I have never had trouble with no see um's at Riverside and we have been there all times of year, but if you have family members who are sensitive, it might make sense to use some insect repellent. As soon as I say, you will have no issues, you will. It is fairly close to the lagoon. The same goes for the trail. Never had an issue, but it doesn't hurt to spray if it's the season for them. My husband is a magnet for them and he hasn't had trouble on the trail even when he has by the pool or beach

I know they say alligators can be in any body of water, but I have never seen or heard of them being in the lagoon.

A couple of things I didn't mention are the McKee Botanical Garden, which has pretty displays if you enjoy that. Round Island State Park is one area known for manatee viewing. Of course, it isn't a guaranteed sighting, but they are very common there.

For ice cream, if you like citrus based, Countryside Citrus has great choices that include their fruits. I love the OJ and vanilla swirl. Like eating a dreamsicle! Cravings has always had(I assume it won't change) waffle cone wednesday--buy one get one free waffle cones. They have a variety of flavors and sell by weight.

One other restaurant is Waldo's at the Driftwood hotel. You can sit outside if it's nice. I usually get the crunchy fish sandwich. It is also right across the street from Cravings if you want dessert after.

Portside Pub and Grill was just voted best fish n chips in Sebastian. I haven't been there, but we are going to try it in a couple of weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!