VERO BEACH Information & Adoration Thread

Just did some searching online on several different sources and I cannot find a test for red tide that is less than 3- 5 days old. Hopefully we should see updates in the next day or 2.

I couldn't find anything recent either. The Facebook posts seem positive so I was hoping to see some actual test results. Has a date been set for the beach clean up yet?

I couldn't find anything recent either. The Facebook posts seem positive so I was hoping to see some actual test results. Has a date been set for the beach clean up yet?

Since there seems to be no test results in the last few days, it is almost for certain we should see an updated result no later than Monday night or Tues. morning I would think. And I did not see a clean up date yet, but I was not specifically searching for that. What are your dates for Vero?

So, here's the latest info I have. We have a house a mile south of the Disney resort and I texted my neighbor and, Yay!, she is at her house right now. She said she is able to be on the beach without any coughing or watery, itchy eyes, etc. She did have trouble with this on Tuesday and Wednesday. She said it was really bad. She was shopping on Ocean Drive today with no issues. I say this because the Ocean Drive area had a pretty big fish kill and she didn't have trouble with the odor from the Red Tide.

Our beach area fared much better than Central Beach. Only a handful of dead fish. I am surprised because we are considered the Wabasso Beach area and it was listed as one of the worst concentrations.

An article I read today said that beach cleanup happened today--8500 lbs of dead fish picked up. There are 17 1/2 miles of beach to clean and the company anticipates it will take 4-5 days to complete. They will start back up on Monday.

I know this isn't directly in front of Disney, but we are in the area. I am glad to hear this because we head down next week. Hoping the fish kill is over as it is incredibly sad to see.

So, here's the latest info I have. We have a house a mile south of the Disney resort and I texted my neighbor and, Yay!, she is at her house right now. She said she is able to be on the beach without any coughing or watery, itchy eyes, etc. She did have trouble with this on Tuesday and Wednesday. She said it was really bad. She was shopping on Ocean Drive today with no issues. I say this because the Ocean Drive area had a pretty big fish kill and she didn't have trouble with the odor from the Red Tide.

Our beach area fared much better than Central Beach. Only a handful of dead fish. I am surprised because we are considered the Wabasso Beach area and it was listed as one of the worst concentrations.

An article I read today said that beach cleanup happened today--8500 lbs of dead fish picked up. There are 17 1/2 miles of beach to clean and the company anticipates it will take 4-5 days to complete. They will start back up on Monday.

I know this isn't directly in front of Disney, but we are in the area. I am glad to hear this because we head down next week. Hoping the fish kill is over as it is incredibly sad to see.

Thanks much for that update from the area, wdwcoltsfan! :thanks:

So sad to hear that it made its way up to Vero, first the west coast, heard Miami had it, Ft Lauderdale, and now Vero. So sad, so many businesses, residents, and tourists affected. Hoping that it clears quickly!!!:wizard:::yes::

Yes-thanks for all the updates and searching. I feel like I should be packing but am scouring the internet for red tide updates!! I did read that same article about the beach clean up lasting 4-5 days and beginning again on Monday. I also saw somewhere that the county was expected to open beaches on Friday but I don't know how credible that info is.

We are supposed to check into Vero on 10/30 but are leaving this week to visit family and spend a few days at DHHI first. I have a back up plan of staying at HHI but need to cancel that reservation before penalties by the time we arrive on Thursday. Packing is also proving challenging not knowing exactly where we will end up and HHI is supposed to be pretty chilly so we will be loaded down I'm sure--we are driving so at least that is in our favor right now.

I was also wondering if there is any health risks from being on the beaches after they re open. Is there any other bacteria risks or issues from the sand after being plowed by bull dozers and covered in debris? My DD plays in the sand at Vero from dawn to dusk so I know it will be difficult to stay at the pool all day and don't want to be in that situation if it is avoidable!

Guests at Vero were reporting that the situation was much better yesterday and I was thinking it was all going to pass before our trip. I just saw an update that Round Island has tested positive and they have issued another 2-10 day warning. :(

Guests at Vero were reporting that the situation was much better yesterday and I was thinking it was all going to pass before our trip. I just saw an update that Round Island has tested positive and they have issued another 2-10 day warning. :(
Hi,
My parents live on the beach less than a minute from the Disney Vero beach resort and as of today my Dad said he still coughs when he goes outside. The beaches are closed. They did remove a lot of dead fish this weekend but the red tide is lingering.

Living in Orlando myself, and having been hearing of the long term red tide problem on the west coast that is now on the east coast, I am not optimistic that it will quickly resolve. But I guess no one really knows.

I think it is much more likely to be a problem around October 30 than it is to be completely clear, uncontaminated ocean around that time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’d hate for your time and money to be wasted. I do hope you have an enjoyable vacation!

(I posted something similar on an older forum but wasn’t sure you’d find it)

Last edited:
Looks like we just missed the red tide, what a relief but hoping it clears quickly for everyone else that lives nearby or is heading down soon!

We absolutely enjoyed our time at Vero Beach but did not enjoy the noseeum bites. After three days of misery I had to go to urgent care for prednisone. Still itchy here and there but they’re finally going away 10 days later. We used bug spray but clearly not enough. It was so bad I don’t know if I can ever go back. Didn’t realize they were in the sand, my backside and legs were bitten 70 times. Never went out at dusk or dawn either just in the middle of the day.

Food was okay, service was spotty at times, room issue was a problem at first but we still left Vero feeling relaxed and happy :) Hope we can figure out something for the bugs and enjoy another trip at another time.

We're heading to the resort the day after Thanksgiving and have no plans to cancel. We love the resort and the area. I will be sad if I can't walk the beach and take in the ocean I love, but we have so many places in Sebastian and Vero that we can't wait to visit again: restaurants, shops, microbreweries, tiki bars. We'll be there to support what we hope is our future home and its residents and businesses. Still can't wait.

Hi,
My parents live on the beach less than a minute from the Disney Vero beach resort and as of today my Dad said he still coughs when he goes outside. The beaches are closed. They did remove a lot of dead fish this weekend but the red tide is lingering.

Living in Orlando myself, and having been hearing of the long term red tide problem on the west coast that is now on the east coast, I am not optimistic that it will quickly resolve. But I guess no one really knows.

I think it is much more likely to be a problem around October 30 than it is to be completely clear, uncontaminated ocean around that time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’d hate for your time and money to be wasted. I do hope you have an enjoyable vacation!

Thank you for the local update! We meet friends for Halloween and it is so hard to give up and make other plans but I am so tired of the roller coaster up and down and trying to pack when I don't even know where we are going!!

Any new news today? We are on the way to HHI right now and our Vero check in is currently still set for Tuesday. There is nothing with points at WDW for Tuesday-Friday! I heard that the west winds from the latest hurricane may push the red tide back out to sea but couldn't find any updates on beaches reopening or levels declining near Vero.

Hi,

Sad.

Any new news today? We are on the way to HHI right now and our Vero check in is currently still set for Tuesday. There is nothing with points at WDW for Tuesday-Friday! I heard that the west winds from the latest hurricane may push the red tide back out to sea but couldn't find any updates on beaches reopening or levels declining near Vero.
I hope you have a great trip! If you decide not to go to VBR, would you be able to extend your stay at HHI? I haven't gotten any alerts so far today with new updates.

I hope you have a great trip! If you decide not to go to VBR, would you be able to extend your stay at HHI? I haven't gotten any alerts so far today with new updates.

Staying at HHI is an option for us but the weather is calling for 60's all week so my DD wouldn't get any pool time which is why we were originally splitting the trip, we wanted to check out HHI and already know we love Vero :)

Just got a video link from Sebastian Daily. There have been dead fish washing up on the shores of the Indian River Lagoon, but the locals don't believe they are from the Lagoon itself, but from the previous fish kill off the Atlantic Shore. It has been business as usual with Lagoon activities -- boating, fishing, etc. Tourists are enjoying those types of outdoor activities and have not mentioned having any respiratory issues.

I realize this will not be of help to those who plan to spend all of their time at VBR, but if anyone enjoys the Lagoon and Sebastian like we do, it is a welcome bit of news.

Staying at HHI is an option for us but the weather is calling for 60's all week so my DD wouldn't get any pool time which is why we were originally
splitting the trip, we wanted to check out HHI and already know we love Vero :)

We've never been to HHI either. I'll be interested to know what you think.:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter