Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

Summer is here!

giphy.gif

Olaf might not turn into a puddle in summer, but this girl really might. We are looking at triple digits this weekend, and that is without even considering the humidity. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity, because it just makes me feel like I am swimming instead of running. This morning at 7AM it was 74 degrees, with a dew point of 67 and 74% humidity. Ridiculous. Here's what we are looking at for the next 10 days...

IMG_6526.jpg

Ok, enough about the weather. Back to the what you are all here for (if anyone is even here, LOL)...the training! Here's what has happened since last week!

5/16: Blind progression run! 20 minute warm up @ 10:12..technically it was a 20:25 minute warm up because I have a big issue with numbers being whole (a rounded number? you know what I mean #math).
- 15 minute steady: 1.71 miles @ 8:46 average pace
- 10 minutes faster: 1.2 miles @ 8:23 average pace
- 5 minutes fastest: .65 miles @ 7:49 average pace
1.6 mile cool down @ 12:00 pace because I was dead for a total of 7 miles.

5/17: rest day!

5/18: 16 miles on the bike at 14.4 mph. I did Body Pump on Friday for the first time in about a month and my legs felt like cinderblocks, but biking helped a lot! 4 treadmill miles @ 9:10 pace.

5/19: 2 mile warm up (one with Barkley without my watch and one @ 10:43 pace). Workout was 5x1 mile @ T (7:41 goal) w/1:00 recovery + 4x 3:00 intervals @ I (6:54 goal) w/2:00 recovery. Spoiler alert: I don't hit these paces because it was toasty out.

- 5 mile repeat paces: 7:59, 7:58, 7:57, 7:54, 7:48
- 4x3:00 interval paces: 7:30, 7:23, 7:22, 7:11
1 mile cool down for a total of 10 miles.

5/20: 3 miles @ 12:54 pace. I ran with a new running buddy who has just started her running adventures and this is her first summer running. So we adjusted due to the heat.

5/21: 1 mile warm up @ 10:37 pace. Workout was 4 sets of (.5 miles @ T (7:41) + 2:00 @ I (6:54) + .5 miles @ T + 2:00 @ I w/4:00 recovery). Results were:

IMG_6536.jpg
My watch died during the third set, and I am pretty sure I died too. It was 90+ degrees out so I attempted to adjust the paces, this workout is just plain HARD. I did my cool down and rounded out to 8 miles total. Dead watch and legs...

IMG_6531.jpg

Upcoming Training Schedule:
Th: rest day! Having to shift some runs around due to a haircut today. LOL

F: 5 miles @ EB (9:13) with Strides

Sa: 5 miles @ EB (9:13) with Strides

Su: 2 mile WU + 2x2 mile @ T (7:41) w/4:00 recovery + 3x3:00 @ I (6:54) w/3:00 recovery + 1 mile CD.

M: 6 miles @ EA (9:53)

Tu: 4 mile WU + 3x3:00 @ I (6:54) w/2:00 recovery + 1 mile CD.

W: rest day!

Can you tell someone gets excited for their runs/walks?? Barkley says Hi, everyone!

IMG_6521.jpg

Hello, life. Can you calm down please?

I am late updating once again because life just keeps getting in the way. Work has been crazy lately, we have had multiple house showings in the last week (this is a good thing but still creates chaos, LOL) and then last Sunday my sweet 11-year old Pomeranian fell and dislocated his hip. He had surgery on Friday, so we are currently dealing with keeping him medicated, comfortable and trying to help him not go stir crazy. He hated the plastic cone we gave him, so I got him this cute little donut instead to keep him away from his incision. 😍
IMG_6725.jpg

The good news is my training has managed to stay on track, with the exception of not running the half marathons on my schedule with this recycled plan from earlier this year.

So what has happened running-wise since our last update?
5/23: We had an unexpected house showing, so I moved this run to Friday.

5/24: 4 miles @ 9:18 pace...was supposed to be 5 miles but I. WAS. DYING. in the heat.

5/25: 5 treadmill miles @ 8:49 pace

5/26: Workout was: 2 mile WU + 2x2 mile @ T (7:41) w/4:00 recovery + 3x3:00 @ I (6:54) w/3:00 recovery + 1 mile CD. Results were: 1 mile WU + 2x2 mile (8:03, 7:59, 7:59, 7:55) + 3x3:00 (7:49, 7:43, 7:46) + 2 mile CD. Nowhere near where the paces were supposed to be, but according to my Instagram post it was over 150+ T&D by the time I finished so I felt like this...
IMG_6620.jpg

5/27: 4 treadmill miles @ 9:53 pace.

5/28: Another unexpected house showing, but I managed 5 treadmill miles @ 9:23 pace.

5/29: Rest day, praise the Lord!

5/30: Impromptu rest day, due to taking Shug for his surgery...rescheduled this run for Friday.

5/31: Blind progression run! 1.5 mile WU @ 10:49 pace + 15 minutes steady (1.69 miles @ 8:52 pace) + 10 minutes faster (1.19 miles @ 8:24 pace) + 5 minutes fastest (.63 miles @ 7:57 pace) +2.5 mile cool down @ 13:15 pace because I was dead yet again. I realized after the fact that this was supposed to be 20 minutes steady, 15 minutes faster and 5 minutes fastest, but I do not think I could have handled it in the heat.

6/1: 4 miles @ 9:22 pace outside and 4 treadmill miles @ 8:41 pace.

6/2: 6 miles @ 10:05 pace.

Upcoming Training Schedule and May Totals:
M: 5 miles @ EA (9:53)
Tu: I already know this workout won't happen, I have a meeting until 5:00 tomorrow and will need to rush home to deal with Shug, so I'll run the miles I can on the treadmill.
W: Rest day!
Th: 3 miles @ EB (9:13)
F: Rest day!
Sa: 5k Race! 😲
Su: 5 miles @ EA

IMG_6731.jpgIMG_6732.jpg

I am glad that Shug's surgery was successful- heal quickly, pup!

I am just hot reading about the heat you run in... you're a champ! I would rather be on the paddle board with sweet Barkley! I'm always amazed that he sits still enough to ride on it!

Feel better Shug!!

Thank you!! He seems to be doing pretty well so far, only 10 more days until the stitches come out!

I am glad that Shug's surgery was successful- heal quickly, pup!

I am just hot reading about the heat you run in... you're a champ! I would rather be on the paddle board with sweet Barkley! I'm always amazed that he sits still enough to ride on it!

Thank you so much!

LOL, it is taking me longer to get used to it for some reason this year...probably because I need to hydrate more. I prefer the paddle board too! I am always afraid he is going to dump us off into the water, but he does surprisingly well. He's a good boy 😍

Better luck next time...

Well, this 5k was a big fat fail. LOL. 36 seconds away from my PR, and 10 seconds behind third place in my age group. Apparently these 30-39 year old females are real fast! Check out that photo bomber, isn't he cute?!

IMG_6816.jpg

I do not know who designed this course, but the first mile was relatively downhill, then the final two miles had two hills (one of which was a bridge). It was a pretty cool course running back and forth over the Chattahoochee River, just wasn't really made for a PR. I probably went out too fast considering the temperature and humidity, but I haven't raced a 5K in over two years so lesson learned. I'll dust myself off and try again in a few weeks! Still happy I got out of my comfort zone and made myself give it a shot!

FullSizeR.jpgIMG_6823.jpgIMG_6825.jpg

Keep trying girl! I haven't raced a 5K in a few years either, so I can totally understand how it might take a few tries to get your strategy down. You'll get that PR soon.

Oh look, an update!

Life has been a bit of a whirlwind lately. We sold our house and close on Monday so I've been scurrying to get everything packed and moved. We plan to build so most of our belongings are going in storage while we build. It is very bittersweet because the house we are moving out of is the house I grew up in, but it is really just too small for a family and is not zoned to a good school district at all. Plus we want to be closer to town, while not living in town if that makes any sense at all. LOL.

I have been running still amidst the chaos, but nothing overly exciting. I have my next attempt at a 5K PR on August 17th and I am currently trying to determine plans for my fall/winter races. I'm getting the itch to try and PR in the half or marathon distance again, which I said I was not going to do this year but we all know how that goes. Currently thinking about trying the Kiawah Island Half for a PR or the Disney Full. :confused3

I did manage to run 115 miles in June and continue my 100+ mile month streak to 30 months. Barkley also got to walk 59 miles this month. I am not currently running with him because it is just too hot! I hope you are all doing well!

IMG_7215.jpgIMG_7221.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget the atlanta 10 miler. it is Oct 20. I am hoping you will come out. I can even get you a room if you need it.

Don't forget the atlanta 10 miler. it is Oct 20. I am hoping you will come out. I can even get you a room if you need it.

Yes! I will be there! What hotel do you think would be best to book? I noticed this race is in a different location that I'm not as familiar with regarding where to stay...

Yay! Congrats on the big sale!

I am SO impressed by your 100+ mile streak! Go girl!

Thank you! I am excited, but a little sad too. Hoping I can keep this streak going, I've cut it close several months. LOL

Good luck with the move!!

So ... don't tell anyone, but August 17th is my birthday. So I'll be thinking good 5K PR thoughts for you, and hopefully the fact that it's my birthday will make my wish for you to get that PR come true!

Such an exciting and sad time in your life! I completely get wanting to live close to town, but not in town. When do you break ground on your new house?

Good luck with the move!!

So ... don't tell anyone, but August 17th is my birthday. So I'll be thinking good 5K PR thoughts for you, and hopefully the fact that it's my birthday will make my wish for you to get that PR come true!

Thank you! Your secret is safe with me, LOL!

Such an exciting and sad time in your life! I completely get wanting to live close to town, but not in town. When do you break ground on your new house?

We are currently 45 minutes from town and this move will bring us about 25 minutes closer. We meet with our builder on Tuesday to start finalizing everything! Excited, sad, nervous, I am all of the emotions. LOL.

I have heard good things about the Canopy by Hilton. There is also a hotel called 12 right in Atlantic station. I think I might need a price point. A W on 14th street. It’s not too far from the start. I would stay in Midtown that will be much closer to the race. The closest Marta station would be arts center should be less than half a mile to the start.

I have heard good things about the Canopy by Hilton. There is also a hotel called 12 right in Atlantic station. I think I might need a price point. A W on 14th street. It’s not too far from the start. I would stay in Midtown that will be much closer to the race. The closest Marta station would be arts center should be less than half a mile to the start.

We will probably only stay one night...but I wouldn't want to pay anything crazy like $500 per night LOL. I'd prefer to walk to the start if possible, not so sure about Marta. I will check into the ones you mentioned! Thanks!

To walk to the start, i would check 12 it will be the closest, like blocks. The Canapy is not far i would say about half a mile, maybe less depending on exactly where the start line is. The W on 14th will be a bit further a way like a mile. i guess i better find our dismeet thread and post on it. @OldSlowGoofyGuy said he might be out of town, but if he is in town will come down for it. I know @Disney at Heart is signed up already. I am officially signed up as well.

To walk to the start, i would check 12 it will be the closest, like blocks. The Canapy is not far i would say about half a mile, maybe less depending on exactly where the start line is. The W on 14th will be a bit further a way like a mile. i guess i better find our dismeet thread and post on it. @OldSlowGoofyGuy said he might be out of town, but if he is in town will come down for it. I know @Disney at Heart is signed up already. I am officially signed up as well.

I am probably going to go with Canopy. I can stay there for two nights for the price of one at 12 LOL. Thanks for the tips!

Apparently monthly updates are the thing now...

July was an absolutely whirlwind, but somehow my highest monthly mileage for 2019. Not really sure how that happened, but I am not complaining. This makes 31 months in a row of 100+ miles and Barkley had his second highest mileage month ever.

IMG_7843.jpgIMG_7844.jpg

I am about 95% sure I am going to try for a PR in December at the Kiawah Island half. My husband and I loved the island and the course was beautiful so I am excited to go back. I am also probably 75% sure I want to try for a marathon PR at the beginning of next year, but I need to reach out to coach @DopeyBadger to figure out what would work best. I've been so busy with moving and trying to get started on this house build that I keep forgetting to email him. :confused3:rotfl:Maybe now that I have typed it here it will actually happen.

I am still loosely following my 5k training plan and have a few opportunities in August to try and get that PR. Fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!