Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

I would take rain over mostly sunny any day. I always think running in the rain will be miserable, and it's definitely no fun to stand around in, but I always enjoy it once I'm moving!

Here goes nothing...

2755d1_7bb7cf85e38e43a394df36d60d02960d~mv2.webp

Well, I've made it to the point of no return and I'm like a little kid being drug out of the candy store by their parents. I am so excited to see what I can do, but just typing this update is making my heart rate speed up. LOL. We leave tomorrow and plan to just hang out at the house we rented on Thursday, go to packet pickup and take a carriage ride tour of Charleston on Friday and have a pasta dinner at a friend's house that evening. Then Saturday at 8AM is the big day! Here's how the weather currently looks...
upload_2018-12-5_14-5-41.png

I have no idea what to wear :confused3 I know for sure I'll be in shorts and the shoes/socks I am wearing, but I am packing 900 different tops/sports bras so maybe something will work.

Here's what has happened since our last update...
11/29: 4 treadmill miles @ 10:20 pace

11/30: 2 mile warm up + 7 tempo miles (8:28, 8:35, 8:32, 8:35, 8:45, 8:35, 8:35, 8:44) + 3 mile @ LR (9:18, 9:08, 9:13) + 1 mile cool down

This run was a disaster. My watch died at the end of the 7th tempo mile, but I already felt like I was fading so I ran the last 3 at LR pace instead of tempo. Then my headphones died at mile 10, and I got a horrible side stitch at mile 11, but I was still 2 miles from my car so I finished it out. Hoping that this run got all of the crazy random things out of the way!

12/1: 5 treadmill miles @ 9:40 pace

12/2: 5 miles @ 9:08 pace

12/3: 5 miles @ 10:13 pace

12/4: 5 miles @ 9:40 pace with strides

12/5: Rest day!

Upcoming Training Schedule:
Th: 3 miles @ EA (10:12)
F: 2 miles @ EB (9:31) and Strides
Sa: KIAWAH ISLAND MARATHON...26.2 miles in 3:59:59 or less hopefully! :eek:

You’ve totally got this! Weather looks good for a 3:XX:XX! Have fun and I can’t wait to read all about your sub-4 marathon that you’ve kicked trainings a$& for!!!

You’ve got this! I think those look like pretty good running conditions. I would probably go with a short sleeve shirt and cutoff socks for arm warmers, so I could toss them if I got warm enough.

My marathon that I ran that was about 45 with 20mph wind and cloudy, I wore long sleeves, which I was comfortable with. The sun ended up peaking out a little at the end, so I think I ended up pushing up my sleeves. But since you’re used to warmer running weather than I am... :confused3

Do you plan to run with the 4 hour pacer? She seems like a seasoned veteran.

Almost exactly a year ago, I was on a similar quest at Rocket City. My day was successful and I don't think it would have been without the pace group.

I've never run more than a mile or two with a pace group. I ran with the 3:58 group until about mile 18. Letting them worry about pace allowed me to focus on everything else.

You. Got. This.
:car:

ETA: Looks like they will have live tracking!
http://www.rmssports.com/results.html

Thanks! They keep sending emails out about RaceJoy live tracking, but it looks like you (meaning me) have to have an app open the entire time you are running to track you and there's no way my battery will last for that. Still trying to figure it out!

upload_2018-12-5_20-5-0.png

There's a 3 out there with your name on it. Go get it!

Thank you! I hope so!!

You’ve totally got this! Weather looks good for a 3:XX:XX! Have fun and I can’t wait to read all about your sub-4 marathon that you’ve kicked trainings a$& for!!!

I sure hope to see a 3:xx:xx when I approach that finish line! Thank you so much, y'alls support has been so special to me!

You’ve got this! I think those look like pretty good running conditions. I would probably go with a short sleeve shirt and cutoff socks for arm warmers, so I could toss them if I got warm enough.

My marathon that I ran that was about 45 with 20mph wind and cloudy, I wore long sleeves, which I was comfortable with. The sun ended up peaking out a little at the end, so I think I ended up pushing up my sleeves. But since you’re used to warmer running weather than I am... :confused3

Thanks! That is a great idea about the socks! I normally warm up pretty quickly, but I mainly worry about my fingers and ears being cold. 40s is really cold to this Southern girl, especially if the sun is not out. LOL.

Looks like ideal running conditions to me. You are going to kill this thing! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Thank you SO much!!

Looks like you've got this! Great training, great weather, and ready for a great race! Do you plan to run with the 4 hour pacer? She seems like a seasoned veteran.

http://info.beastpacing.com/christine-rockey

Thanks, coach! If you think I should run with a pace group, I definitely will. I'm used to running alone, but that may be beneficial for the mental game. I was reading her profile last week and she definitely seems seasoned. I just always worry about them starting out faster than I want to.

Almost exactly a year ago, I was on a similar quest at Rocket City. My day was successful and I don't think it would have been without the pace group.

I've never run more than a mile or two with a pace group. I ran with the 3:58 group until about mile 18. Letting them worry about pace allowed me to focus on everything else.

Well this might have sold me on it, and completely cancelled out what I just said. I get into my head way too much when I run, so to not worry about pace could be a really good thing for me! Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

Update: Racejoy definitely requires your phone to use GPS for the duration of the race and there is no way my battery will last that long (y'all know how my luck goes with things remaining charged and I need my music more than I need to be tracked, LOL). Based on the Kiawah Marathon facebook page, they are saying this is the only option for live tracking but hopefully the one @jennamfeo posted will work. :confused3 My poor husband is going to be wandering all over this island completely blind, what a mess. :rotfl2:

I have a feeling that you may be experiencing some pre-race nervousness...
im-a-nervous-rex-7456055.png

But you have nothing to worry about!!
You've done the hard runs, the easy runs, the on-vacation runs, and the weather sucks runs...
images

You've packed all the shirts, gels, fuels, socks and shoes...
images

And now it's time for the victory lap...
images

I hope you have the best race!! You are so ready and we are all cheering for you!!
images

PS....
images

I'm so excited for you to rock this race and get that awesome sub-4 PR!!

Thank you, Sarah!!

I have a feeling that you may be experiencing some pre-race nervousness...
im-a-nervous-rex-7456055.png

But you have nothing to worry about!!
You've done the hard runs, the easy runs, the on-vacation runs, and the weather sucks runs...
images

You've packed all the shirts, gels, fuels, socks and shoes...
images

And now it's time for the victory lap...
images

I hope you have the best race!! You are so ready and we are all cheering for you!!
images

PS....
images

giphy.gif

I absolutely love this! I didn't pack duct tape though, so now I am concerned that I need that too. Thank you SOOOOO much! :hug:

That forecast is perfect!!! Go crush it!!

And yes, that RaceJoy app drains the battery big time, don't use it.

Thank you! Yes, after reading a few reviews I decided quickly not to even try using it. The cheer thing also threw me off, because I cannot stand getting texts or notifications while I run. My phone will be on Do Not Disturb Saturday, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter