Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

Oh no!! Darn hurricanes. Hopefully you're not in the direct path? Stay safe!

upload_2018-10-9_10-25-35.png

I live where the blue dot is, so we should be good here at home. Unfortunately I am not sure if I can cancel my hotel reservation or not. The half marathon was in Destin, which is where they are forecasting a direct hit tomorrow. Of course everyone's safety is my main concern, it is just very frustrating. Y'all remind me never to do another goal like this again. LOL.

View attachment 357004

I live where the blue dot is, so we should be good here at home. Unfortunately I am not sure if I can cancel my hotel reservation or not. The half marathon was in Destin, which is where they are forecasting a direct hit tomorrow. Of course everyone's safety is my main concern, it is just very frustrating. Y'all remind me never to do another goal like this again. LOL.

Ahh! It's close but I'm glad you're not in the direct path! I would think that it'd be a special circumstance and you'd be able to cancel your hotel- I sure hope so!

Apparently this 12 half marathons in 2018 is just not gonna happen...my half marathon this weekend has been cancelled due to Hurricane Michael. :sad: I guess I'll be finding another one and just enjoying a weekend at the beach with no formal race. LOL.

If you're interested in a last-minute trip to NYC, the half I'm doing on Sunday still has some spots available.
But yeah, that's a bummer. Virtual race time?

Oh no! That’s a bummer. I’m assuming they are expecting a lot of damage from the storm?

Yes, they are expecting it to be a Cat 3 at landfall. Luckily it is moving pretty fast so it should not stall like Harvey or Florence, but will still have a huge impact with wind and storm surge. (Sorry, major weather nerd, it fascinates me. LOL). I think their main concern is the volunteers and police will need to be working on recovery and rebuilding rather than a race, which is 100% understandable.

Ahh! It's close but I'm glad you're not in the direct path! I would think that it'd be a special circumstance and you'd be able to cancel your hotel- I sure hope so!

We are going to see what happens with the damage before I check on cancelling. I already have boarding lined up for Barkley, my grandparents are taking care of the cats, and my parents are keeping the two little dogs so I'd love a weekend at the beach with no responsibilities anyway. LOL

If you're interested in a last-minute trip to NYC, the half I'm doing on Sunday still has some spots available.
But yeah, that's a bummer. Virtual race time?

Oh I am ALWAYS interested in a trip to NYC, but my bank account isn't as interested. LOL. I definitely want to do a run in NYC one day, and you'll be the first person I notify of my attendance!

Yup, I've found two that I can do while marathon training anyway. I am going to wait and see if maybe this race will offer a virtual option since I already paid for it. They said they'd notify us next week after the storm.

"Race" Recap": 30A Half

This past weekend was supposed to be half marathon number 9 of 2018 for me in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. Unfortunately, Hurricane Michael had other plans and the race was cancelled last Tuesday. My husband and I kept our plans to go to the beach because the reservations couldn't be cancelled anyway, the only issues were that they were without internet and cable and we figured the area could use some tourism dollars.

We left Friday morning for the 4.5 drive and I could not believe the damage we saw on the way there. Some of the hardest hit areas were less than 50 miles from where we stayed. They were not letting anyone into Panama City or the surrounding areas unless they could prove ownership. The areas we could see were just so sad and I cannot even imagine what those people are going through.

All throughout the week there were questions on the race's Facebook page about picking up race packets and the possibility of a virtual race. Since this run was one of my 12 half marathons for 2018 and part of my training plan, I got up on Sunday morning and did my 13.1 miles as I would have if the race had been held. We rented a condo at the start/finish area of the race, so I actually ran the exact same route as the race. My training plan said to run at a 9:10 pace and I stuck pretty good to that!
30a half 2.jpg
30a half 1.jpg

Sunday afternoon I realized the race director had posted that we could pick up our race packets starting that day for the foreseeable future. So I convinced my hubby to stop at the location on our way home to get all my goodies.
30a half.jpg
30a.jpg

Therefore, since I paid for the race, traveled the 4.5 hours, ran the same exact route as the race, and got the medal and finisher shirt, I am counting this as half marathon number 9 for 2018! I am still unsure about the whole virtual run thing, but 13.1 miles counts to me!

Up Next: Wine and Dine weekend!

Attachments

• 30a half 3.jpg
    30a half 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2

Nice shirt! I like the bright colors. That medal is really neat too.

I’ve seen the horrible aftermath from the hurricane on tv/internet. I can’t imagine what those communities are going through right now.

Did red tide reach that far north?

Way to go! 13.1 is 13.1! Nice bling!

Thanks! I love the medal too. They also donated all the race funds to Hurricane relief which is pretty awesome!

I think that totally counts! Glad you still got to go!

Thank you! Me too!

Nice shirt! I like the bright colors. That medal is really neat too.

I’ve seen the horrible aftermath from the hurricane on tv/internet. I can’t imagine what those communities are going through right now.

Did red tide reach that far north?

Thanks, I love it too!

It is truly unbelievable. Mexico Beach is the first place my husband and I vacationed (on Spring Break back in college, LOL). It was such a cute little town with a lot of older homes and smaller condos, just so sad to know that most of those are gone now. Driving down it was crazy to see pine trees snapped like toothpicks, I just cannot imagine wind powerful enough to do that.

We saw a little of it, but not nearly what they are getting more south. My cousins live in Fort Myers and their pictures are unbelievable.

Definitely counts! Way to go!!! Love the shirts and medals!!

Thank you so much! I do too!

No updates since September 26th...major fail.

giphy.gif

This cat reminds me of life lately, except I probably haven't been drinking enough water. My mom and I went to Disney the weekend of Columbus Day, then I was back home for three days before my husband and I went to the beach, now I am back home again for three days before going back to the beach with my coworker. All while marathon training. REAL SMART, not!

200.gif

Yeahhhh...all that traveling was my idea. The good news is I only completely missed one run and had to cut two short which I am happy with. My mom and I had so much fun at the Halloween Party and seeing Toy Story Land for the first time. She was in her boot, but we did just fine with me pushing her in a wheelchair. Below are some pics, along with my favorite pic with her boot. LOL.
IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_9974.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0367.JPG

I even found a Barkley impostor while we were at Animal Kingdom!
IMG_0169.JPG

So anyway...back to running. What has happened since our last update??
9/27: 8 miles @ 9:27 pace

9/28: 4 miles @ 11:05 pace

9/29: 7 miles @ 9:29 pace

9/30: 13 miles @ 9:15 pace

10/1: 4 treadmill miles @ 10:32 pace

10/2: 4 miles @ 10:17 pace

10/3: Guess who's watch died?! LOL. 5 miles @ ??? pace

10/4: REST DAY!

10/5: 4 miles @ 10:17 pace around Pop Century and Art of Animation. I love running at these resorts! So cute!

10/6: 5 miles @ 9:32 pace around Pop Century again.

10/7: 5 miles @ 9:12 pace around Pop Century one more time.

10/8: Missed run due to traveling back from Orlando.

10/9: 5 miles @ 9:20 pace

10/10: REST DAY!

10/11: 2 mile warm up @ 10:04 pace, 5 tempo miles (8:29, 8:28, 8:34, 8:32, 8:27), and 1 mile cool down @ 10:22 pace. I had to cut this run short by one mile because I was just burnt out. I didn't consider the T&D like a big old dummy.

10/12: 4 miles @ 10:14 pace

10/13: 8 miles @ 9:26 pace

10/14: "30A Half Marathon"

10/15: 4 miles @ 10:26 pace

10/16: 2 mile warm up, 3x1.5 miles @ T w/3:00 recovery, 4x200m w/200m recovery and 2 mile cool down.
T splits: 8:11, 8:23 (.5 mile), 8:20, 8:41 (.5 mile), 8:35, 8:32 (.5 mile)...I started out a bit too fast due to the T&D of 158 :sad2:
200m splits: :53, :49, :47, :51
Watch was almost dead, but I didn't use it for my warm up or cool down and the battery lasted!

Upcoming Training Schedule:

W: Rest Day!
Th: 1 mile WU + 7 miles @ Tempo (8:26) + 1 mile CD
F: 4 miles @ EA (10:12)
Sa: 9 miles @ EB (9:31)
Su: 10 miles @ Long Run (9:10)
M: 6 miles @ EA
Tu: 2 mile WU +2 miles @ T (7:54) w/2:00 recovery + 4x200m @ R (6:50) w/200m recovery + 2 miles @ T (7:54) w/2:00 recovery + 2 mile CD

Here's some Barkley enjoying his boat rides to end this novel (congrats if you've made it this far, you deserve a Mickey bar or bucket of popcorn!)
IMG_9630.jpg

I feel like you should probably carry around a backup watch for when your watch dies :)
Also ... I love all the Disney pictures! Especially the boot pic.

I feel like you should probably carry around a backup watch for when your watch dies :)
Also ... I love all the Disney pictures! Especially the boot pic.

LOL! I don't like to charge it when I sleep because I want it to track my sleep, but then I forget to bring the charger to work. I actually had a backup Garmin Forerunner 235 that I sold yesterday, wish I had thought of that before.

Me too! When the photographer said to do that we both cracked up!

Great job on that half marathon and of course it counts!! Great paces!!

I love all your Disney pictures. Looks like a great trip. And, as always, I'm happy anytime I get to see Barkley pictures.

Great job on that half marathon and of course it counts!! Great paces!!

I love all your Disney pictures. Looks like a great trip. And, as always, I'm happy anytime I get to see Barkley pictures.

Thank you so much!! He is a cutie, but definitely a handful!

Second Highest Mileage Week + Three Days of Work Training = :faint::eek::sad2:

Sometimes it seems like the world just does not want to work with my running schedule. LOL. I am supposed to run roughly 51 miles this week, but I have training all day today through Thursday. I will get a certification at the end of training that will look really good on my resume, but couldn't they have scheduled this for next week when I only have to run 39 miles?! The class has so many handouts and fliers that I just feel like...
NervousHappygoluckyIndianhare-size_restricted.gif

The good news is I have not missed any runs and with this cooler weather they are actually going pretty well! This weekend will be my first weekend at home in October (craziness) and that is definitely a good thing when looking at my running schedule.

So what happened last week?
10/18: 1 mile warm up, 7 miles at tempo (8:29, 8:32, 8:34, 8:36, 8:26, 8:30, 8:28) and 1 mile cool down

10/19: 3 miles @ 10:15 pace...I did have to cut this run short due to leaving for Florida (again, lol)

10/20: 9 miles @ 9:30 pace along my favorite beach path. My coworker/friend and I went to the beach this time (she has two young boys and rarely gets a vacation). We had so much fun, but the red tide was horrible. We couldn't stay on the beach for more than two hours because we couldn't breathe...we made up for it with time at the outlets though!
IMG_0475.JPG

10/21:10 miles @ 9:08 pace

10:22: 6 miles @ 10:28 pace

10/23: 2 mile warm up, 2x2 miles (7:54 goal), 4x200m (6:50 goal) w/200m recovery, 2x2 miles (7:54 goal), and 2 mile cool down.

2x2 mile splits: 7:53, 7:44, 7:52, 7:52
200m splits: :48 (6:27 pace), :49 (6:28 pace), :50 (6:35 pace), :51 (6:46 pace)

This run felt AMAZING! If I can feel the way that I felt today on December 8th, I fully believe that sub-four goal is possible!

Upcoming Training Schedule:
TH: 1 mile warm up + 8 miles @ Tempo (8:26 pace) + 1 mile cool down
F: 4 miles @ EA (10:12)
SA: 7 miles @ EB & Strides (9:31)
SU: 2 mile warm up + 11 mile Progression (9:40, 9:30, 9:20, 9:10, 9:00, 8:50, 8:40, 8:30, 8:20, 8:10, 8:00) + 2 mile cool down
M: 6 miles @ EA
TU: 6 miles @ EB & Strides

P.S. Hello from Barkley on our nightly 2 mile walk!

IMG_0486.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!