Vegetarian + dairy-free by choice (not allergy)...how to order??

11point5

Mouseketeer
Advice please! I understand you can just explain your dietary needs to the chef and your server, but I am a vegetarian (easy enough) working towards being vegan (not so easy) and I have a mild gluten sensitivity. I don't have any allergies, but I don't consume dairy or eggs. On vacation I don't mind if there are *some* milk ingredients/eggs/gluten used in my food (ie. in breads, desserts, pasta noodles) but I won't drink milk or eat cheese or an omelette or anything where those are the MAIN ingredients, and I'll pick GF options when available. Hope that makes sense! My issue is that I feel like if I explain it this way, the servers/chefs will be exasperated that I'm wasting their time since I don't have real allergies. I could just say no meat, no dairy no eggs but I feel like that will be really limiting in some places and I don't want to be stressed about food at Disney! :( I want to be able to order, for example, a veggie burger on a GF bun with a non-dairy milkshake for my meal and then get a brownie (which maybe has *some* milk/eggs in it) for dessert without the chef being like "um...you can't have that brownie, it has milk/eggs in it". Or if I order a pasta that contains *some* milk/eggs and then I ask for a Tofutti sundae, and they're like "you can't have Tofutti since you just ate that pasta dish and you obviously don't have an allergy". :guilty:
I've done lots of research on vegetarian/vegan/GF things I can eat at restaurants that appeal to me, and there are TONS of options I'm really excited about! I'm just not sure how to order when I'm picking something that needs a modification, like a milkshake or sundae made with non-dairy milk...Do they only give you those things if you say you have a dairy allergy? How do you order things like this??
Thanks in advance for any help! :goodvibes

Advice please! I understand you can just explain your dietary needs to the chef and your server, but I am a vegetarian (easy enough) working towards being vegan (not so easy) and I have a mild gluten sensitivity. I don't have any allergies, but I don't consume dairy or eggs. On vacation I don't mind if there are *some* milk ingredients/eggs/gluten used in my food (ie. in breads, desserts, pasta noodles) but I won't drink milk or eat cheese or an omelette or anything where those are the MAIN ingredients, and I'll pick GF options when available. Hope that makes sense! My issue is that I feel like if I explain it this way, the servers/chefs will be exasperated that I'm wasting their time since I don't have real allergies. I could just say no meat, no dairy no eggs but I feel like that will be really limiting in some places and I don't want to be stressed about food at Disney! :( I want to be able to order, for example, a veggie burger on a GF bun with a non-dairy milkshake for my meal and then get a brownie (which maybe has *some* milk/eggs in it) for dessert without the chef being like "um...you can't have that brownie, it has milk/eggs in it". Or if I order a pasta that contains *some* milk/eggs and then I ask for a Tofutti sundae, and they're like "you can't have Tofutti since you just ate that pasta dish and you obviously don't have an allergy". :guilty:
I've done lots of research on vegetarian/vegan/GF things I can eat at restaurants that appeal to me, and there are TONS of options I'm really excited about! I'm just not sure how to order when I'm picking something that needs a modification, like a milkshake or sundae made with non-dairy milk...Do they only give you those things if you say you have a dairy allergy? How do you order things like this??
Thanks in advance for any help! :goodvibes

some places my not have veggie burgers just tell them you have gluten allergies since you get some reactions to it be safer not to eat gluten. when you make adr let them know about your allergies and when you check in let them know the chef will come out and work with you. now at quick service you will have to speak to a manager once you mention an allergy that what happens. i would go online and look at the menus for the restaurants because their might be options on their already that you can have with out needing to say anything.

here some info on special diets

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

here some info on vegertarain menus please keep in mind they may change before you get their.

http://allears.net/din/vegcsparks.htm

I think you will have some difficulties at least with some places. The easiest and safest thing would be to order a vegan/gluten free diet. Clear cut, easy and you will have no issues.....as long as want to want to stick to that plan. What we found was once you mention an allergy, they are VERY careful to not give you anything that could be even a cross contamination.Perfect and what we needed for DS PA, but his resolving egg issue was not a huge deal. He ate it baked into things, and we just avoided straight eggs and mayo stuff like that. We found even a mention of egg allergy and they would eliminate everything that may contain egg, many of the things unnecessary.

I think it would be confusing to them and a lot of room for error if you try to say for example, cheese on my salad, but milk free ice cream. Since it is not a allergy, maybe stress glutton free and then just order from that what is ok with you.

Plan for extra time at CS and perhaps a little extra time for TS as well.

Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter