Vegas to Disneyland

domnhall

Earning My Ears
I'm a confirmed WDW'er. I go as often as I can, usually only once a year but more if I can make it.
This year a friend is getting married in Vegas, and I was thinking of side tripping to Anaheim for my first ever Disneyland trip.
Has anyone else done this? I was thinking of flying. Flights into LAX seem to be about 120 return (that may be CDN) however double or more into John Wayne Airport (which I believe is Orange county). Anyway, friends suggested driving. I understand that's about 4 hours each way. I was planning on just a day trip (flights seem to leave Vegas at 6 AM and leave LA at 9 PM which would make a full day) but may stay several days since California Adventure will be open then.
Any advice from seasoned travellers would be appreciated. As well, must sees at Disneyland?
Principly I want to try the rides that aren't in WDW. But have to try the old standards as well.
Thanks in advance.
Domnhal

You will be fine flying into LAX, assuming it is cheaper than John Wayne. John Wayne is about a 20 minute drive from Disneyland. LAX is about 35 minute drive (no traffic).
Directions from LAX: Take Century Boulevard to the 405 (San DIego Freeway) South. Take 405 South to 22 Freeway (Garden Grove Freeway) South/East. Exit on Harbor. Go Left off of freeway. DL is at intersection of Harbor and Katella - you will run right into it.

For "must sees" definitely first thing do Space Mountain (SOOOOO much better than WDW) and the Rocket Rods (new ride, not at WDW). Your other absolute MUST see is the Indiana Jones Ride. In my mind, this rivals Tower of Terror as the best Disney attraction ever. In Fantasyland, take in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Pinnochio's Daring Journey and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, none of which are at WDW. You may find the other fantasyland rides to shorter/not as good as at the MK. Finally, try to take in Fantasmic at DL - much better.

Have fun. You can email me if you have more questions.

I just booked a trip to Vegas and DL for April and found the airfare was about $30.oo CHEAPER to fly into Orange County. We will be doing 4 nights in Vegas and 3 nights in Anaheim at the Hawthorne Suites. (2 blocks for DL). The flights range in times leaving Las Vegas at about 7 am and then leaving Orange County at about 9 or 10pm. Also, Orange County is only 13 miles from DL, wheras LAX is 35 I think. Hope this helps.

1988 off site
1992 CB
1996 ALM
1998 CS
2000 GF June/July Honeymoon!!!
2001 Las Vegas - Caesar's and Disneyland - Hawthorne Suites
2001 Wilderness Lodge -one year anniversary!!!
2001 Pop Century!(Going for Christmas and New Year's Eve!!!!)

Absolutely you must go on Pirates of the Carribean even though it may forever ruin you for the ride in WDW. Its recently rehabed and awesome. Stay for the fireworks if at all possible. They are incredible!

Thanks, JLS for the info, I wasn't aware that Space Mountain was different. Good to hear about Rocket Rod's I've been wanting to try that since I first read about in the Disney Magazine. Have you ridden (is that right? rode?) Rock & Roll Rollercoaster? I think that's quickly becoming my favourite WDW ride.

And I had completely forgotten about Fantasmic, I've read that DL's is definitely better, so I'll want to stay and see that, for sure.

Scanne, I used an online travel service to check flight's for time and prices of the same day flights in and out of JW airport, they were about 3 times the amount to LAX. I didn't check multiple day rates since I wasn't planning on staying more than the one day (but now think I will).

CBDR, thanks for the heads up about Pirates. Even though there are more exciting rides/attractions I always make a point of riding PotC in WDW, so I'll definitely check out the rehabed version in DL.

Thanks everyone, for the information.
I was planning on going by myself so flying made sense, but several other guests have expressed an interest and we may drive, staying over a couple of days.

If you are a Disney fan you are going to LOVE Disneyland. You might want to spend 2 days at the Magic Kingdom alone. Not to mention Disney's California Adventure, and walking around the hotels.

I really feel 2 days is the minimum time needed for your visit. 3 would be better.

Larry Poppins

We are doing the same trip in Feb. We are staying three nights in Vegas and then five days in DL. We found flights from Vegas to LAX for $30 one way. (We are flying home from LAX) I think return was about $75, almost the same as renting a car. Of course you would have to get yourself to DL from the airport.

dot.BMP

FW-`80, '84, '88
DxL-'91
WDW International Program Canada Pavillion '97-'98
---Vista Way July '97-April '98
---Commons April '98 - July '98
---WL, CS, ASMu, BW, PO, Poly
Offsite-Feb '99
ASMovies-Feb '00
WL, BC, DCL-Sept '00
Disneyland-Feb '01

Did you check Southwest airlines for specials? They often have internet specials on their website.

Driving is sometimes tricky because of the traffic and in theory could be 4 hours, but I wouldn't believe it at all! Traffic is often bad once you get into San Bernadino, etc. Of course it depends on the day/time. I used to live in Riverside and go to Vegas fairly often.

I really like Disneyland and I'm not sure what has changed since last time I went, but definitely check out Space Moutnain, the seats are a little different and the bobsleds are fab.
Of course, seeing the new park would be amazing!

Have fun!

Jenn

I don't want to bum you out but, the Rocket Rods have been down since about October. Supposedly, they are to re-open in the Spring but, more reliable sources say they are researching a replacement for them. :( On a happier note..if Fantasmic is showing when you are at DL, see it! Even if you've seen it at WDW. DL's is sooooo much better! :D

<marquee direction="right" align="left" behavior="alternate"><font size=3><font color=#FF0066><font face="Comic Sans MS"><bold>LISA</marquee></font></font></font></bold>
<marquee direction="left" align="right" behavior="alternate"><font size=3><font color=#6600CC><font face="Comic Sans MS"><bold>"Diva of Dragons"</marquee></font></font></font></bold>
<marquee>
ariel11.gif
</marquee>

the Matterhorn. It is my son's favorite. There isn't one at WDW. I think it is the visual affects that help make this ride. IMHO.

Actually, the wedding isn't until the summer so hopefully, RR will be up and running by then.

I've heard since day one of Fantasmic in Orlando that the DL version was definitely better, so I want to see that, and had forgotten about it when I first started thinking about doing this.

Our plans are still up in the air but we may just fly directly from Toronto to LAX stay for several days and head to Vegas for the wedding. Flying home from Vegas.

Still months away, so I'm being a little anal about planning everything, which I don't usually do but oh well. The wedding date is, of course, set but before I book air and hotels I'd like to have my plans worked out.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
Domnhal

Has anyone heard, if the DL tickets will have park hopping passes once California Adventure is open? I was looking at tickets on Disney's Disneyland page and unless I read wrong, they don't have hopper options. When it was just DL hopping was obviously not needed but now there are two parks, it would be nice. It's one of my favourite features of the Orlando tickets. Do each park at least one whole day then park hop from park to park to pick up what was missed or what I really liked about each park.
Thanks again

You will be able to park hop, but only if you are staying at a Disney property. Otherwise, you will get a flex passport, but it only lets you in to one park per day. Plus, if you go during a busy time, you will be GUARANTEED entrance to the park if you stay on-site. If you're off site, you will be turned away if the parks are full. That's why we just switched to DL hotel. We're going the week of Easter. So we are playing it safe.

1988 off site
1992 CB
1996 ALM
1998 CS
2000 GF June/July Honeymoon!!!
2001 Las Vegas - Caesar's
Disneyland - Disneyland Hotel
2001 Wilderness Lodge -one year anniversary!!!
2001 Pop Century!(Going for Christmas and New Year's Eve!!!!)

I am going to Anaheim for the first time in July.After 6 nights we fly to Las Vegas.Can anyone tell me how long the flight is?

1997: WDW ALL STAR MUSIC
1998: WDW ALL STAR MUSIC
1999: ALL STAR MOVIES
2000: ALL STAR MOVIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter