Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

So, the schedule isn't out until July but I was just curious if any vegans have ever done the Food and Wine Festival in the past? If so, I wanted to know...was there anything at the festival that you could eat? Because I'm going with some family in October and while I'm excited to go to the festival, I'm afraid I may be a bit...left out.

If you drink wine it will probably more than make up for the lack of food options offered.

I noticed a few things that LOOKED vegan in last years offerings but the fare was mostly meat/dairy-centric.

If you drink wine it will probably more than make up for the lack of food options offered.

I noticed a few things that LOOKED vegan in last years offerings but the fare was mostly meat/dairy-centric.

Oh, I definitely drink wine...I am italian! I love wine. I basically told my sister, "For every stand that doesn't have a vegan entree, I will drink a glass of wine."

Of course this isn't going to work, since I can only have 2 before I start to really feel it. So I guess I'll be eating lots of pretzels to soak it up. Lol.

Are the pretzels in germany different than the ones in the rest of the park?

I thought I posted this question, but I don't see it. Does anyone know if the below snack is vegan. This would make an awesome snack!!!

At Epcot - Refreshment Port:

Tostones (crispy fried green plantain) $2.99

I did the Food and Wine in 2008 and 2009, and frankly there wasn't much that was vegan. It was very disappointing. I did Party for the Senses in 2008 and I did find that - because the food is being prepared right there - I was able to ask for some of the dishes without the meat or cheese. But there was not a lot, and I didn't go back last year because I just felt I didn't get my money's worth with the very limited vegan options. (The wines were GREAT though!)

Last year I think there was only ONE booth that had a vegan option, and that was falafel in Morocco, which is fine but kind of boring (since we eat falafel all the time).

I have to say I'm surprised that people have had negative reactions to asking for vegan foods. One of the major reasons we keep coming back to WDW is that the restaurants are so positive about making us good vegan options. What I tend to do is tell the chef (when he or she comes out) that I'm vegan, I enjoy spicy foods and to "please surprise me with something good." That has resulted in some OUTSTANDING meals!!

Teresa

Great selection of veggie items
Could you elaborate? What specifically have you had that you would recommend? We looked at their menu when they first opened and were disappointed at the lack of vegetarian options. We haven't looked at their menu since that time so have things changed for the better?

We are a Muslim family and since Disney did not have halal meat on our 2007 trip, we just ate like vegetarians. The veggi burgers at POP and Sci Fi are really good!

I'm glad that Disney will offer us halal meat at our table service locations this upcoming trip! Yay!

What an excellent thread, I wish this had been around before my trips. Here is a vegetarian food report from my Jan/09 trip, in case anyone is interested.

Could you elaborate? What specifically have you had that you would recommend? We looked at their menu when they first opened and were disappointed at the lack of vegetarian options. We haven't looked at their menu since that time so have things changed for the better?

I saw a review recently where a vegan went to yak and yeti and had a great meal. It wasn't on disboards though, so I've got to go searching for it to dig it up.

If I remember rightly a lot of stuff that APPEARS veggie at yak and yeti has chicken stock in it and you have to be careful (the same is true for Nine Dragons in Epcot). Let me see if I can find that review...no promises though! I think that person ended up getting treated to something specially made by the chef (since there weren't really any vegan options)

We are a Muslim family and since Disney did not have halal meat on our 2007 trip, we just ate like vegetarians. The veggi burgers at POP and Sci Fi are really good!

I'm glad that Disney will offer us halal meat at our table service locations this upcoming trip! Yay!

I'm pretty sure the veggie burgers are the same kind/brand wherever you go in the park. They are a special kind of Gardenburger (brand) that you can't buy in stores (and completely vegan!).

I'm glad you are having better luck this year finding restaurants that can accommodate your restrictions.

ok..regarding the Yak and Yeti question above.
I found one disboards review (an old one) of a couple (one vegan one vegetarian) who ate their on their trip
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1883962

and I found this little tidbit of info on allears about what on their menu is already vegan (scroll down to animal kingdom)
http://allears.net/din/vegtsparks.htm

Still can't find that other review I was thinking of. But there you go.

ok..regarding the Yak and Yeti question above.
I found one disboards review (an old one) of a couple (one vegan one vegetarian) who ate their on their trip
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1883962

and I found this little tidbit of info on allears about what on their menu is already vegan (scroll down to animal kingdom)
http://allears.net/din/vegtsparks.htm

Still can't find that other review I was thinking of. But there you go.
Thank you! The tofu dishes look delicious. They are not on the menu so I'm guessing it was something special the chef prepared just for them. The only veggie items on the menu are batter-fried green beans and stir fried veggies (side dish). It's good to know they have more to offer than what is on their menu. We will give them a try on a future trip, provided I can talk my DH out of Tusker House, which won't be easy!

What the heck is a candy apple and where do I get one when I go? :-)
Also- anyone have any luck getting either vegan Tonga toast or vegan macadamia/pineapple pancakes at Kona?? Also-(haha sorry) has anyone tried to get a vegan pizza at pizza planet? I heard they may carry Amy's? Andddd last but not least- I got a list from Disney that said they have toffuti cheese for sandwiches etc at some places, although I've never heard of anyone getting that. Thanks everyone! And thank you for starting this thread, its made everything much easier for me!

Also- anyone have any luck getting either vegan Tonga toast or vegan macadamia/pineapple pancakes at Kona?? Also-(haha sorry) has anyone tried to get a vegan pizza at pizza planet? I heard they may carry Amy's? Andddd last but not least- I got a list from Disney that said they have toffuti cheese for sandwiches etc at some places, although I've never heard of anyone getting that. Thanks everyone! And thank you for starting this thread, its made everything much easier for me!

I know you can get candy apples at the Villians candy shop in DHS, Goofy's candy in MK, and unfortunately for the life of me.....I can't think of where at AK or Epcot.

Amy's Vegan Pizza at Pizza Planet? WHOAH! That would be awesome, but I have not heard of that. Amy's is very strange with how they price their vegan stuff. They have a cheeseless pizza (just veggies) that is reasonably priced, but all of their vegan "cheese" pizzas are always marked up to a ridiculous price. You also have to be careful with them as they have a soy cheese pizza that has casein in it - I hope this is not the one they carry at Pizza Planet :(

I've not heard of the Tofutti cheese being used anywhere on property, but I DO know that Tofutti ice cream is served several places (also, regarding the post about Tofutti containing HFCS - I went to the store and checked the ingredients yesterday and could not find any product carried there under the Tofutti brans that contained HFCS as an ingredient, including the products singled out earlier).

I've not heard of any of those breakfast items at Kona being veganized but V_Gan got vegan mickey waffles on her last trip and mentioned they weren't very good.

http://books.google.com/books?id=h_...Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=vegan tonga toast&f=false

scroll to page 104- vegetarians guide to disney :-) Maybe I'll get a nice chef, or i'll bribe one anyways!
I have 2 breakfasts there and one lunch, I'm going to call them a few days before and give them my res times and see what they can do.
Yeah disney sent me this huge list of foods for people with allergies and toffuti cheese was on it, but I think that's probably shinannigans. Amy's pizza was not the vegan one, although I wrote Amy's asking them about it, and the woman misunderstood my question, butttt, she sent me a bunch of coupons and new item brochure! woohoo!!! I know I can get a vegan pizza with vegan cheese at pizzafari according to the VeganSatori blog. I'll just get a snack and DS & DH can have pizza planet. Tonight again "mommy can we please go Disney world get pizza planet?" He asked for it for breakfast yesterday,...... and always whenever they see the pizza planet truck in Toy Story 1&2. Basically if he could have pizza planet(he;s never had it before ever at disney)for breakfast lunch and dinner he would:laughing:

http://books.google.com/books?id=h_...Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=vegan tonga toast&f=false

scroll to page 104- vegetarians guide to disney :-) Maybe I'll get a nice chef, or i'll bribe one anyways!
I have 2 breakfasts there and one lunch, I'm going to call them a few days before and give them my res times and see what they can do.
Yeah disney sent me this huge list of foods for people with allergies and toffuti cheese was on it, but I think that's probably shinannigans. Amy's pizza was not the vegan one, although I wrote Amy's asking them about it, and the woman misunderstood my question, butttt, she sent me a bunch of coupons and new item brochure! woohoo!!! I know I can get a vegan pizza with vegan cheese at pizzafari according to the VeganSatori blog. I'll just get a snack and DS & DH can have pizza planet. Tonight again "mommy can we please go Disney world get pizza planet?" He asked for it for breakfast yesterday,...... and always whenever they see the pizza planet truck in Toy Story 1&2. Basically if he could have pizza planet(he;s never had it before ever at disney)for breakfast lunch and dinner he would:laughing:

I'm sure you know this.......but that book is pretty old and a lot is outdated. There is still some good information in it, but just be sure to verify and a lot of the items have changed in it.

I was able to get a vegan rice crust (ener G) pizza at Pizzafari in AK. They had vegan soy cheese (I checked ingredients), and their regular pizza sauce was vegan. It took a good 10 or 15 minutes to make and it was $10, but it was pretty good.

I'm sure you know this.......but that book is pretty old and a lot is outdated. There is still some good information in it, but just be sure to verify and a lot of the items have changed in it.

True, I think I actually got one when I first went vegetarian which was a while ago. Oh well, I'm going to try, and if not I'll dream about it instead.... haha, I have no problem eating fruit for breakfast anyways I am just on a kinda strict fitness routine so I always want to pig out on vacation as much as I can!!! I usually have to do a juice fast for a day or two after we get back. I've been craving Chef Stephen's tofu breakfast scramble meal from Ohanas since we left...... I can't cook tofu right for the life of me really, really I've been vegan for too long for that to be acceptable at this point. I can't wait to place my vegan essentials order for the trip too. Yum Yum Yum.

Another thing-I'm glad this thread was started! Thank you OP! It's nice to be among people who don't think all I eat is grass. My DH's mom is from Cuba his dad is Puerto Rican, I'm constantly getting made fun of, but they have adjusted their family Congri recipe for when I come over, which is nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!