Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Has anyone successfully eaten vegan on the dining plan? All the restaurants I've booked have a vegan entrée, but no desserts. Will they always provide enjoy life cookies or similar, or be able to swap for an appetiser?

Every restaurant has their own allowable substitutions, but they should all have something you can have. In general, you're not going to be able to substitute for an appetizer, even if it is cheaper than the desserts. I do think some of them have enjoy life cookies, several have sorbet, and a couple will allow substitutions of a side salad, cup of fruit, or something like that. You may not be given much choice in what they allow you to sub and it may not always be an actual dessert item that you can sub for, but I can't see any of them telling you too bad, you just can't use part of your credit.

Has anyone successfully eaten vegan on the dining plan? All the restaurants I've booked have a vegan entrée, but no desserts. Will they always provide enjoy life cookies or similar, or be able to swap for an appetiser?
My vegan son has always been fine on the DDP. For dessert, he usually gets fruit, sometimes vegan sorbet, cookies etc. Chef TJ goes out of his way and makes a tower of vegan cookies, ice cream bars, cotton candy, drizzled in chocolate sauce.

Do you know where Chef TJ is these days? I would love to eat wherever he is on my next trip, it has been a long time and he is AMAZING!

I apologize if this has already come up on the thread, but this is my first time traveling to WDW with a vegetarian. We have a lunch reservation at BOG that we're both really excited for, but they don't really have any interesting vegetarian options. She doesn't want the bean cassoulet, and she's not thrilled about getting a plain salad with the meat taken off. I've seen other people say they've gotten the croque monsieur without the ham, but do y'all have any other suggestions I can bring to her? She's so excited about the restaurant, I'd hate for the lack of vegetarian options to dim her enthusiasm. TIA!

I apologize if this has already come up on the thread, but this is my first time traveling to WDW with a vegetarian. We have a lunch reservation at BOG that we're both really excited for, but they don't really have any interesting vegetarian options. She doesn't want the bean cassoulet, and she's not thrilled about getting a plain salad with the meat taken off. I've seen other people say they've gotten the croque monsieur without the ham, but do y'all have any other suggestions I can bring to her? She's so excited about the restaurant, I'd hate for the lack of vegetarian options to dim her enthusiasm. TIA!

There are kids meals (you can still order them if you're over 9) of a grilled cheese with turkey noodle soup and green beans (might be able to sub the soup for something else) and another kids meal with macaroni with marinara and mozzarella, served with seasonal vegetables.

When I went, I just had the Potato Leek soup since none of the other options seemed appealing, but they have taken that off the menu. I've also heard that the French Onion soup might be made with chicken broth now, so I would ask about that if she is considering ordering it. The Corn Bisque says it has bacon, but I don't know if that's just a topper or if it's mixed in the soup, or if the broth is vegetarian.

You could ask to speak to the chef and see what they can whip up.. I'm not sure I would expect much at BOG, though, as it seems like people go at least partly for the atmosphere.

I think your friend should go in expecting to be wowed by the atmosphere but not wowed by the food. Us vegetarians are used to having to do that now and then :-) this way, if they get a really good meal, they can be pleasantly surprised...

BelleBriarRose--You're going for lunch, which is a QS meal. I'm not really sure if you can ask a chef to make something off the menu for you. Please, someone else, correct me if I'm wrong! But I think you're pretty much stuck with what's on the menu. They should be able to make the croque monsieur without the ham--modifications are usually possible. And, yes, the kids' menu ideas would be okay too, although I have no idea if those dishes are, uh, adequate. It's very likely that all the soups have a chicken base. The one vegetarian (vegan, actually) soup they had is no longer on the menu.

I don't blame your vegetarian friend for not wanting the cassoulet--it sounds unappealing to me as well. I'm vegan, so there's pretty much nothing at BoG for me, and I don't go. However, I'd have to say that breakfast is a better deal for a vegetarian (or a vegan), although at this point, you probably can't change your reservation and perhaps you wouldn't want to, either.

Since lunch at BoG is quick service, your vegetarian friend could just consider it an experience for the ambience and order a dessert, for example. You're not required to order an entree. Then they could have a meal somewhere else either before or after. Not a fabulous solution, but not tragic, either. There's plenty of vegetarian QS food at WDW, and they're sure to find something they'd like elsewhere.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think she's going to ask for a croque monsieur without ham and get the master's cupcake, since she's been dying to try the grey stuff for years. It's just surprising to me that there aren't more options available at one of the most popular restaurants on Disney property. Maybe there will be more the next time they redo the menu?

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think she's going to ask for a croque monsieur without ham and get the master's cupcake, since she's been dying to try the grey stuff for years.

Is that cupcake vegetarian? I was under the impression that many cupcakes on property were not due to gelatin in the frostings and fillings to give them more stability.

Is that cupcake vegetarian? I was under the impression that many cupcakes on property were not due to gelatin in the frostings and fillings to give them more stability.

Hmmm good point, I hadn't considered that. We will have to ask. She is vegetarian, not vegan, so I will find out what the ingredients are to the best of my ability and from there it's her choice.

Hmmm good point, I hadn't considered that. We will have to ask. She is vegetarian, not vegan, so I will find out what the ingredients are to the best of my ability and from there it's her choice.
She can see an ingredients list at the restaurant and decide from there. BTW, unless it's specifically vegan "gelatin," gelatin is an animal product, so even a vegetarian might not want to eat that. Really, the main difference between vegan and vegetarian is that vegans don't eat dairy products or eggs and, in some cases, honey.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think she's going to ask for a croque monsieur without ham and get the master's cupcake, since she's been dying to try the grey stuff for years. It's just surprising to me that there aren't more options available at one of the most popular restaurants on Disney property. Maybe there will be more the next time they redo the menu?
It’s a real shame they changed the menu. The quinoa salad was quite good.

Between gelatin & lard, desserts can be tricky, as both gelatin and lard are typically ingredients that neither vegetarians nor vegans will consume.

I know my family finds the desserts the hardest part of all WDW eating, because we also have a few other dietary preferences, so even when something is fine for vegetarians & vegans, like the Dole Whip, we still don't like some of the ingredients in it for other reasons. :-/ We'd love more all-natural AND vegetarian/vegan friendly dessert options, but despite offering oodles of desserts & treats, WDW really seems to find that particular combo a difficult one to offer. :(

Can anyone tell me if LTT offers any vegetarian options at dinner besides the sides? If they offered the meatloaf, I’d make a dinner reservation, but I don’t think it is worth it otherwise. Thanks!

Another Be Our Guest question, sorry! Was hoping to go for dinner one night next month but between reading bad reviews of the vegan 'offering' and a rather unhelpful response from Disney when I asked, I'm not sure anymore. Have any vegans had dinner there recently and how was it? Really want a photo with Beast but I've had breakfast there before so the atmosphere's not a particularly big sell for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts