Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Hi all!

Long term Disney eater, but September will be my partner and my first trip as vegetarians. I have to admit I am really struggling with the menus when choosing ADRs - so many places don't seem to have any veggie options, or just have one choice which we don't fancy (and we are not particularly fussy eaters!). Do some places have a separate vegetarian menu that you can ask to see once seated? Regarding buffets is there usually a "main" veggie choice, alongside the meat option, or is it just a matter of eating fries and other side dishes? Help - I'm depressed!

Yes, some restaurants do have vegetarian menus, and most restaurant chefs will work with you to craft a meal to your liking from their available ingredients. However, there are so many great vegetarian choices right on the menus that I'm not sure I understand your situation well enough. It would help understand your concern better if you could share what options are you expecting to have at which restaurants, that you don't see at those restaurants?

I’m not expecting to see anything in particular... just quite surprised that some places still have no veggie options and others have just one choice... I think it’s nice if everyone has a few options, especially with so many more veggies and vegans about. However it’s great news that the chefs are flexible and helpful, thank you!

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place to ask, but can I get allergy menus online somewhere, or do I have to wait until I get there?

Hi all!

Long term Disney eater, but September will be my partner and my first trip as vegetarians. I have to admit I am really struggling with the menus when choosing ADRs - so many places don't seem to have any veggie options, or just have one choice which we don't fancy (and we are not particularly fussy eaters!). Do some places have a separate vegetarian menu that you can ask to see once seated? Regarding buffets is there usually a "main" veggie choice, alongside the meat option, or is it just a matter of eating fries and other side dishes? Help - I'm depressed!

I think it depends on what you personally want to eat; are you Whole foods plant based, or will you eat eggs, fish, dairy? If it's whole foods plant based, it's harder, if it's general vegetarian that accepts dairy, eggs, or fish it's a lot easier. So, for example, take Columbia Harbour House (which is a QS I do realize); you have the shrimp and fish platter, lobster roll, Tuna sandwich, lighthouse sandwich, salad, salmon, clam chowder, veggie chili, beans, carrots, hush puppies, rice, mac and cheese, french fries, and all the desserts. If you go vegan and/or whole food plant based you will have a bit more trouble, and you may need to look at sites like vegan Disney World to learn your substitution options (like no slaw on the lighthouse sandwich).

I just pick and choose which restaurant based on which park I'm in, and you get to know where the food is you want. So, I do Harbour House in MK (though the plaza is a good option too), Satu'li Canteen in AK, Sunshine Seasons in EPCOT, and.... nowhere really in Studios (lol, but they have options at most restaurants, and veggie and fruit snacks elsewhere). The TS restaurants are easier as they can customize most things by simply leaving something out; example; Kona Cafe in the Poly Resort. The Samoan is my favorite thing to have, but has pork and tuna in the base, they sub breakfast potatoes for me. Most TS will help you out if you ask, but I tend to pick what I want and just see if it can be modified. At buffets you can ask specifically if something is dairy free and such if you are concerned about dairy, otherwise it is pretty easy to tell. If you have a specific question about a specific buffet you can ask here, and usually someone will know.

I think it depends on what you personally want to eat; are you Whole foods plant based, or will you eat eggs, fish, dairy? If it's whole foods plant based, it's harder, if it's general vegetarian that accepts dairy, eggs, or fish it's a lot easier. So, for example, take Columbia Harbour House (which is a QS I do realize); you have the shrimp and fish platter, lobster roll, Tuna sandwich, lighthouse sandwich, salad, salmon, clam chowder, veggie chili, beans, carrots, hush puppies, rice, mac and cheese, french fries, and all the desserts. If you go vegan and/or whole food plant based you will have a bit more trouble, and you may need to look at sites like vegan Disney World to learn your substitution options (like no slaw on the lighthouse sandwich).

I just pick and choose which restaurant based on which park I'm in, and you get to know where the food is you want. So, I do Harbour House in MK (though the plaza is a good option too), Satu'li Canteen in AK, Sunshine Seasons in EPCOT, and.... nowhere really in Studios (lol, but they have options at most restaurants, and veggie and fruit snacks elsewhere). The TS restaurants are easier as they can customize most things by simply leaving something out; example; Kona Cafe in the Poly Resort. The Samoan is my favorite thing to have, but has pork and tuna in the base, they sub breakfast potatoes for me. Most TS will help you out if you ask, but I tend to pick what I want and just see if it can be modified. At buffets you can ask specifically if something is dairy free and such if you are concerned about dairy, otherwise it is pretty easy to tell. If you have a specific question about a specific buffet you can ask here, and usually someone will know.

Thank you :-) I think I felt a bit awkward asking the chef for special / amended dishes (I’m English, I have the whole apologising thing going on!), but if that’s acceptable then I’m good to go!

Hi all!

La Hacienda de San Angel used to have a separate vegetarian menu that listed Vegetable Tacos, Vegetable Enchiladas, Cheese Empanadas, and a salad. All but the Cheese Empanadas are currently showing on their regular menu now though, so I'm not sure if they still offer it. San Angel Inn also used to offer a separate vegetarian menu, but the only two things on it are now part of their regular menu (a salad and a Vegetable Plate). California Grill has a separate vegetarian menu that you can see if you Google the name of the restaurant and "Vegetarian/Vegan Unplugged menu." The menu may vary from time to time, but you get to pick 4 small plates from their special menu as an entree. Hoop Dee Doo also has a vegetarian menu that offers Pasta Marinara, Pasta Primavera, or Grilled Veggies. I've had the Pasta Primavera and it's just wagon wheel pasta with marinara sauce and a few vegetables. Very basic, but filling, especially with the standard meal sides. Garden Grill does not have a vegetarian menu, but they do offer a vegetarian platter with a veggie loaf and all the standard sides, and it's pretty good. Whispering Canyon Cafe is also now offering a vegan skillet that isn't described in detail on the menu, but includes salad, cornbread, BBQ jackfruit, Gardein Chick'n, Beyond Spicy Italian Sausage, BBQ Gardein Beef tips, green beans, corn, and potato wedges. For dinner at Ohana, vegetarians can get a hummus with chips appetizer and a veggie tofu plate in addition to the noodles, veggies, salad, and bread. Also, both water parks have several vegetarian options listed on the menu at the main quick service in the actual parks. I can't remember everything, but they had plant-based burgers, flat bread pizzas, wraps, and salads.

I can't think of any other restaurants that have a separate vegetarian menu. What places are you looking at? We may be able to give you more specific info if we knew what restaurants you were considering. Unfortunately, most don't really offer more than one or two vegetarian options, and most are lacking in protein. I did really enjoy the vegetable couscous at CRT and the quinoa burger at Raglan Road (huge and surprisingly flavorful).

Personally, I liked the buffet options the least at the places we went to. Tusker House seemed to have a fair bit for vegetarians, but it was a lot of salads mostly. There were a couple of veggie and rice sides, some Samoas, and a tofu dish, but they all had odd flavors to me. Crystal Palace dinner was just salad and plain veggies/mashed potatoes, etc, no real "mains" for vegetarians. Trails End had salad, plain veggies, and fruit. It's hit or miss based on how busy they are and who the chefs are on how much restaurants will work with you to create something off menu, so don't totally bank on that option. They will always make sure you have something to eat, but there may not be a lot of choice.

For quick service, Pecos Bill in MK has several good veggie options (rice bowls, tacos, nachos), Casey's (MK) is now serving a vegetarian sausage, Satuli (AK) has a tofu bowl, the cheese empanadas at La Cantina de San Angel (Epcot) are really good, and Woody's Toy Box (HS) has a 3 cheese grilled cheese.

I’m not expecting to see anything in particular... just quite surprised that some places still have no veggie options and others have just one choice... I think it’s nice if everyone has a few options, especially with so many more veggies and vegans about. However it’s great news that the chefs are flexible and helpful, thank you!
There is inevitably going to be a sliding scale: The more different things you eat, the more choices you are going to have. Until vegetarians outnumber omnivores, that's going to be the case. So if you're a pescatarian, you'll have less than half the number of choices of omnivores (though clearly more than that at seafood restaurants and less than that at steakhouses). Take fish and shellfish out of the equation, you'll have fewer choices. Take cheese out of the equation and you'll have still fewer choices. And full-on vegan will always have the fewest options.

I do think it helps to be concrete and specific. We ate at Sanaa this past trip. We had the bread service and was stuffed just by that. I think all the dips were vegan except the raita, which was vegetarian. But there was one dip we didn't like so we had them give us two of the others, so even there there are choices. They also offer a biriyani that I believe is vegan for $19. It is important to keep in mind that if you only eat poultry (for example - there are probably as many people who avoid red meat but won't order vegetarian or seafood as there are people who are vegetarians), there is only one entree that you can order, so it isn't only vegetarians who have to choose between few choices.

Thank you :-) I think I felt a bit awkward asking the chef for special / amended dishes (I’m English, I have the whole apologising thing going on!), but if that’s acceptable then I’m good to go!

Oh, yeah, Disney World is good with that. Usually the wait staff will have enough experience to help especially if it isn't allergy related, and if not, the chef can help. I just always thank them for the trouble, and leave a little more tip if it went really well. At Disney it's also accepted to just go ahead and ask to speak to the chef if that is something you feel is necessary in a situation. Some of the chefs are even know for whipping up vegan dishes that aren't on the menu.

Hi all!

Hi there! :) I understand what you mean... not just in WDW, but in restaurants in general, I find that there may only be one vegetarian choice on the menu, and it doesn't necessarily appeal to me. As others have suggested, it's best if you read all the menus look for dishes you think you'd like. Having said that, if you're looking for suggestions, I've been going to WDW as a vegetarian (and 2 years eating vegan) since 1997, and here's a quick-and-dirty list of my favorites for some ideas:

Magic Kingdom:
Columbia Harbor House -- lighthouse sandwich (doesn't sound great from the menu description, but it's actually delicious!)
The Wave -- take a short monorail ride to the Contemporary resort...it's worth the trip! Several options and really kind and creative chefs too :)
Pecos Bill's (veggie tacos and a rice bowl option)
The Plaza -- if you can't/don't want to go to The Wave, they have a fried green tomato sandwich that's vegetarian if you leave off the meat (can't remember if it's bacon or something else...I find it a bit greasy, but my H really likes it)

Epcot: (far and away the best park for vegetarians)
La Hacienda de San Angel (when we were there at Christmastime, they still had the separate vegetarian menu...lots of delicious options)
Sunshine Seasons -- tons of options here
Via Napoli -- again, lots of options here -- pizzas, pastas, dessert
Biergarten -- believe it or not, plenty of yummy and filling vegetarian options
Chefs de France -- if you're looking for a light meal, the cheese plate is to die for! Great paired with a dessert :)
Sommerfest (in Germany) -- nudel gratin (delicious mac & cheese) and those paprika potato chips...mmmm
Tangerine Cafe -- OMG, the vegetable platter is fantastic
Les Halles -- lots of yummy options here too

Animal Kingdom:
Mr Kamal's -- the falafel and seasoned fries -- heavenly :)
Harambe Market -- the quinoa/cauliflower bowl
Tusker House -- a buffet with a lot of vegetarian options and a fantastic, understanding chef (FYI everything marked as "vegetarian" on the allergen handout they can give you is actually vegan)
Satuli Canteen -- tofu bowls
Tiffins -- lots of options here, and the servers/chefs will definitely work with you to customize...we like getting the bread service, the mushroom soup, and the falafel
Nomad Lounge -- right next to Tiffins and has a lot of the same items

Hollywood Studios:
Mama Melrose -- I know this place gets a lot of hate on the DIS, but we've been eating here since 1997 and never had a meal that wasn't delicious. I believe they have a vegetarian minestrone, and there are some nice flatbreads and at least 1 app choice. We always ask to have pasta with marinara customized by adding vegetables -- they're always roasted and yummy! They are great about accommodating vegetarian requests. :)
Beaches and Cream -- located at the Beach Club resort, which is a short walk/boat ride away. Favorites are the grilled cheese and veggie burger. We often leave the park for a while to eat lunch here.

Other resort-based restaurants that you can't walk/boat to would be Boma (a buffet) and Sanaa (sit-down table service) -- they both have tons of vegetarian options (Sanaa actually has a vegan menu) and are very knowledgeable about what is and isn't vegetarian on their menu. We also had an excellent experience at Ale and Compass (at the Yacht Club Resort) on our last trip.

MK and HS are definitely your toughest challenges...I dread finding food at those two, especially QS at HS because there just really isn't anything QS there that I like, so I usually snack for lunch or we hit Beaches and Cream. Another poster mentioned Crystal Palace in MK, and I agree with their assessment -- very little protein there for vegetarians, mostly carby stuff, so I'm not a huge fan.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully you'll be able to find plenty you like. We absolutely LOVE the veg offerings at Epcot, so we usually opt to stay at one of the EP area hotels so we can quickly walk over there for meals.

HTH!

Last edited:
One random thought that drives me crazy but only learned from following some veggie facebook groups, the chili at most of the quick serve restaurants (definitely at HS) is veggie even thought it usually doesnt say anywhere on the menu. Ive heard if you are vegan that the mobile ordering is allowing easier customization without having to wait in line and ask a ton of questions. If you are vegetarian I can recommend the fried green tomato sandwich at Rosie's....really good and filling. The problem with Disney for years it has been you needed to know the secret menu and ask for things to be vegized but they have gotten better at having things actually on the menu now. And it is the one place in the world you dont have to be afraid to ask for getting things the way you want it.

Thank you all :-) I feel much better now and I’ve just done our long list of restaurants for this year. Let planning commence!

Just got back from a trip to Disney World and here are a couple of the places I ate -

Polite Pig since my husband really likes it. They have great sides that are veggie. I had the watermelon salad, the macaroni and cheese, the street corn and roasted beets.

The food court at Port Orleans French Quarter had a make your own pasta bar that included tofu as one of the proteins. I had pasta with tofu, marinara and a bunch of veggies. It was really good. They also had a plant based burger I didn’t try. Their vegan beignets are great.

Totchos from Woodys lunchbox can be made with veggie chili. Delicious and filling.

Nachos at La Cantina in Epcot can be made veggie by asking them to leave off the meat. It’s still got protein since it has the black beans. I thought it was great, especially with a margarita :)

We also ate at Les Chefs de France. They had a veggie lasagna that was kind of like a ratatouille with some pasta sheets. It was pretty good.

Magic Kingdom, we ate at Casey’s and their plant based hot dog was delicious. We also ate at Be Our Guest. I had the corn tortellini and it was really good.

The last day, we ate at Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom. The poutine was vegetarian. I also got the veggie sliders and the gobi Manchurian (roasted cauliflower). They were all really good and the cocktails were amazing.

Just got back from a trip to Disney World and here are a couple of the places I ate -

Polite Pig since my husband really likes it. They have great sides that are veggie. I had the watermelon salad, the macaroni and cheese, the street corn and roasted beets.

The food court at Port Orleans French Quarter had a make your own pasta bar that included tofu as one of the proteins. I had pasta with tofu, marinara and a bunch of veggies. It was really good. They also had a plant based burger I didn’t try. Their vegan beignets are great.

Totchos from Woodys lunchbox can be made with veggie chili. Delicious and filling.

Nachos at La Cantina in Epcot can be made veggie by asking them to leave off the meat. It’s still got protein since it has the black beans. I thought it was great, especially with a margarita :)

We also ate at Les Chefs de France. They had a veggie lasagna that was kind of like a ratatouille with some pasta sheets. It was pretty good.

Magic Kingdom, we ate at Casey’s and their plant based hot dog was delicious. We also ate at Be Our Guest. I had the corn tortellini and it was really good.

The last day, we ate at Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom. The poutine was vegetarian. I also got the veggie sliders and the gobi Manchurian (roasted cauliflower). They were all really good and the cocktails were amazing.
Tiffins and Nomad are both great veggie meals. Can't wait to eat there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts