Vegan Disney Meal Planning

disneymum58

DIS Veteran
My DIL who is coming with us has just decided to follow a Vegan diet, although she will still eat some eggs if in something. Any ideas for planning meals especially at restaurants. I wanted to eat at Carthay and was wondering if any vegans have eaten there and how was your meal?

We eat a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet most of the time (mostly Vegan). We have found that it is not too difficult to follow this at Disney. We also do not worry about if eggs are inside a baked good when eating out. Our favorite place to eat for a good healthy plant based meal is the two Mexican restaurants. My husband ordered rice, veggies, and tofu at the Chinese location in DCA last time we visited. They have yummy vegetarian chili at the Cozy Cones. If you want to eat at Carthay nothing on their menu is actually vegan, but she can ask. Put on your reservation that you have dietary needs. They will be accommodating. Disney is pretty good with special diets.

I found an awesome Vegan/Vegetarian thread by using the search function on here (though I think it was more for WDW). SOOO much info.
We have a little one with a food allergy, so eating (mostly) vegan works for us and it seems like many people have found ways to make it work.

When we did Disneyland, we didn't realize the severity of his reactions yet, so we just checked menus carefully and sometimes cobbled together a meal for him using side dishes, etc. It worked and not a big deal at all, but now I know that chefs will be super accomodating and probably could've made his meals off the menu without the allergen.

Not sure if this is still the case, but last Spring, over in Adventureland by Jungle Cruise, there was an awesome "healthier" snack area that would have had a bunch of things that would work for vegans. Likewise, there was a kiosk in Tomorrowland with pickles and nuts and a few other things I think.

Also, the Hungry Bear has a veggie burger but it isn't very good. So sad the Fried Green Tomato is gone. Smokejumpers replaced their veggie burger with a BBQ Jackfruit sandwich. It is pretty tasty, but I don't understand why they couldn't have the veggie burger option too. My DH wasn't interested in eating there on our last trip. The sit-down restaurant on Main Street has a House Vegan burger that IS good.

I'm a vegetarian and really like the tacos at Rancho del Zocalo. If you order them without cheese, they're vegan.

I'm not sure if you have Facebook but there's a group called vegan Disney (Anaheim) which has a pinned post with every vegan option. I can email the list to you if you don't and that's not against rules! There's lots of options and you wont struggle, though get ready for carbs over protein. Also lots of standard Disney treats are vegan like popcorn, Mickey pretzels and dole whip!

Have your DIL bring snacks with her every day that she knows she can have and feels comfortable eating. Suppliers change often at DLR, so what might be fine on an online menu today, may not be available by the time you get to the parks. I've heard from people who made all their plans based on outdated info, then had to go hungry or scramble once they were in the parks. Yes, there are fruit carts and side dishes, but several days of this can get tiring. At least if your DIL has a good supply of reliable snacks in her bag, she'll be able to cover any gaps if a menu has changed or if she doesn't like what is offered and needs to find an alternative. It's a lot easier to think clearly when you're not running all day on low blood sugar.

We always end up eating multiple times at the 2 mexican restaurants in the parks as well as at the Taqueria in DTD. Lucky Fortune Cookery and Paradise Grill in DCA are good too. Other good options are Jamba Juice in DTD, Pizza Press on Harbor Blvd, Vegetable Jumbo in DL, and the aforementioned veg chili in DCA. I also order groceries so we have breakfast and snacks in the room.

Thanks for the info in this thread. One of my son's has a dairy allergy so vegan ideas are great!

Also, the Hungry Bear has a veggie burger but it isn't very good. So sad the Fried Green Tomato is gone. Smokejumpers replaced their veggie burger with a BBQ Jackfruit sandwich. It is pretty tasty, but I don't understand why they couldn't have the veggie burger option too. My DH wasn't interested in eating there on our last trip. The sit-down restaurant on Main Street has a House Vegan burger that IS good.
Carnation Cafe's Veggie Burger is indeed very good (and I am not a vegetarian or vegan by a long shot), just be aware that most, if not all locations share the same equipment as meat when preparing vegan and vegetarian dishes, anything fried at a location will share the same fryers and oil, so if a location has fried chicken or fish, the fries will have been fried in the same oil. I know for some this won't be an issue, but for some it will be, so definitely something to be aware of. Some locations can accommodate using different equipment, but it may take longer to prepare.

Racho del Zocalo's Cesar Salad is actually Vegan if you get it without cheese, as they don't use anchovies in their sauce.

Also, stop in a city hall o guest services and ask for a list of all vegan options in the parks. Sometimes the info is a little outdated, but usually decent.

Carnation Cafe's Veggie Burger is indeed very good (and I am not a vegetarian or vegan by a long shot), just be aware that most, if not all locations share the same equipment as meat when preparing vegan and vegetarian dishes, anything fried at a location will share the same fryers and oil, so if a location has fried chicken or fish, the fries will have been fried in the same oil. I know for some this won't be an issue, but for some it will be, so definitely something to be aware of. Some locations can accommodate using different equipment, but it may take longer to prepare.

Racho del Zocalo's Cesar Salad is actually Vegan if you get it without cheese, as they don't use anchovies in their sauce.

Also, stop in a city hall o guest services and ask for a list of all vegan options in the parks. Sometimes the info is a little outdated, but usually decent.
They don’t have a list at city hall anymore. But each restaurant has a special allergy menu.

I’m vegan and just visited the parks this past weekend. I had no trouble at all. My favorite meal was the vegan burger at Carnation Cafe. I also had a good vegan burrito at Rancho Del Zocalo. It’s not on the menu, but just tell them you are vegan and they will take care of you. :) There are countless other options... it’s really very easy to eat vegan almost anywhere in Disneyland. They are used to accommodating all kinds of diets.

... it’s really very easy to eat vegan almost anywhere in Disneyland. They are used to accommodating all kinds of diets.

CC Lounge may be an exception -- especially since the kitchen is small. The last time we were there, a guy at the next table was berating the server because she couldn't customize the menu to make it vegan for him. She told him that the kitchen was unable to meet all his requests. He had ordered a lot of alcohol and was demanding food to go with it. Apparently salad wasn't going to do it for him. Finally he stormed off, leaving his embarrassed party, to Smokejumper's Grill to get a vegan burger to bring back. He really ruined the vibe in the lounge for everyone else, and just a little research ahead of time would have saved him and everyone else a lot of trouble.

CC Lounge may be an exception -- especially since the kitchen is small. The last time we were there, a guy at the next table was berating the server because she couldn't customize the menu to make it vegan for him. She told him that the kitchen was unable to meet all his requests. He had ordered a lot of alcohol and was demanding food to go with it. Apparently salad wasn't going to do it for him. Finally he stormed off, leaving his embarrassed party, to Smokejumper's Grill to get a vegan burger to bring back. He really ruined the vibe in the lounge for everyone else, and just a little research ahead of time would have saved him and everyone else a lot of trouble.
Wondering what happened when he got to Smoke Jumpers and they said the only vegan option was a BBQ Jackfruit sandwich. We were disappointed to find out they no longer offer veggie burgers there. The Jackfruit was alright.

Wondering what happened when he got to Smoke Jumpers and they said the only vegan option was a BBQ Jackfruit sandwich. We were disappointed to find out they no longer offer veggie burgers there. The Jackfruit was alright.

And FYI - the sauce in the BBQ Jackfruit has honey which some vegans will not eat.

We don't get to Disneyland that often but we are looking forward to giving the Jackfruit sandwich a try.

I will agree that there aren't enough places to get a veggie burger in the parks.

And FYI - the sauce in the BBQ Jackfruit has honey which some vegans will not eat.

I just wanted to add that when it first came out there had been massively spread rumors that the jackfruit sandwich's BBQ sauce had either honey and or anchovies in it because it had worcestershire sauce in it. I'm a member of a lot of vegetarian and vegan disney groups and SO MANY of us have asked for clarification and we've all been told countless times now that the sauce is vegan, there is no honey and no anchovies in it, that is does have worcestershire sauce in it but it is one of the many vegan friendly brands but also they always finish with something along the lines of "please always inquire when ordering this item or any other special diet item as ingredients can change from day to day at any on property restaurant." The only other thing I heard that is usually vegan but sometimes not and you just have to ask each time to be sure is the vegetarian gumbo at the Royal Street Veranda.

There are various grab and go things that are vegan- Dole Whips, the popcorn, giant pretzels but I feel it is the sit down restaurants that have really taken care of us and delighted us with things that aren't just safe to eat but actually good. At Carthay Circle Restaurant they ask if you have any dietary requests when you make your reservation and when you check into your reservation. Then the server (or sometimes chef) will come out once you are seated and explain that they can make a vegan pasta dish, or a "veggie tower" in addition to pointing out any potential vegan items that are on the ever changing menu. The veggie tower is made up of whatever veggies the chef choses (or that your DIL picks if she's choosey about her veggies like I am), a grain (usually rice or couscous but I've had others) and a sauce drizzled throughout it- every time it has been different and every time it has been amazing. I'm only vegetarian but my brother that comes with me sometimes is vegan. If shared fryers and cross contamination bother her then ask about it when you guys order your food- many of the restaurants use a shared fryer but many have a separate one, just depends on which restaurant you are at.

It is a shame that so many of the vegetarian or vegan options are off menu, not labeled when Food & Wine fest menus are posted anymore, are not able to just be relayed in a list from City Hall or the special diets email address. It basically means we can't FULLY plan out our trips in advance like everyone else can. If you do research in advance, are willing to ask a lot of questions of your server and/or possibly change around meal plans then you can find lots of great vegan food in the park. If not then almost everywhere will at least have a sad salad or fruit plate so at least no one will starve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter