Van Lift, financial assisstance?

Briarprincess

Disney Movie Buff and Future Special Education Tea
A friend of my family has an adult son (32 maybe?) who is in a wheelchair with severe disabilities. It takes multiple people to be able to lift him into their van. After he got sick at his resource center, his mother had to pick him up. Four adults had to help lift him into her van, and when she got home she needed to call her husband to come home and help her get him out of the van.
They can't really afford to buy and install a van lift themselves. The state offers some support, but they do not have the difference to buy it.

I was wondering if anyone had any information that might help? Like are there any groups that help with this kind of thing? I could have sworn that something like this might be covered by DofDD, but I can't find anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In Oklahoma Vocational Rehabilitation helps people modify their vehicles. There is a lot of red tape involved.

Here in Florida, to use VR services the person requiring the equipment must be working or attempting to go back to work. You would probably be best to contact the department that deals with adult services or adults with developmental disabilities to see if there are any programs that might help financially. Other than that, perhaps a fundraiser would help ( contact the newspaper and highlight the plight of this family ). It really bothers me that there is such a lack of support for families in this situation. ---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter