Van hits pedestrians in Toronto

FWIW, I really don't think an officer firing on a "suspect" who's pointing a gun at him counts as vigilantism. It must have taken an extremely cool head not to have reacted to that threat and I bet the majority of officers would have fired.

Accounts are that the suspect in this case was pointing a cell phone at the officer, trying to make it look like a gun.

Around the world, the term "suspect" is only a legal term that only has meaning in a courtroom or where media sources generally use the term until there's a criminal conviction.

That doesn't mean that anyone here is required to refer to him as "the suspect".

I think you need to reread the original message I was referring to because this has nothing to do with my response to ronandannette.

Wow. I would never want a LEO to make that decision on a whim. I’m actually shocked that you, who have said that you were in law enforcement, would condone that kind of vigilantism in the police force.
This. And this is part of the problem so when I hear of a police shooting especially one with racial disparities & the officer(s) say they feared for their lives & had no choice, I’m reminded of posts like that. This is not the only forum that I’ve heard LEOs talk like that. I know a few personally who do it too. And I’m not the only only one who hears & sees it. It’s hard ignore things like that. And, personally, it’s not that I believe any of them who make comments like this would intentionally shoot someone unjustly. However, I think it leads to a toxic culture of a “them vs us” mentality that makes many of them jumpy despite adequate training.

Accounts are that the suspect in this case was pointing a cell phone at the officer, trying to make it look like a gun.
Yes, I’ve heard that also, as well as many accounts of similar situation that result in an officer opening fire. In the chaos of this particular circumstance it’s remarkable that the officer’s response was so restrained.

Around the world, the term "suspect" is only a legal term that only has meaning in a courtroom or where media sources generally use the term until there's a criminal conviction.

That doesn't mean that anyone here is required to refer to him as "the suspect".

Actually, in a courtroom would the term not be the accused or the defendant?

I believe the legal use of the term suspect is invoked with law enforcement, usually involving matters of warrants, the reading of rights at specific point of questioning and/or detention by law enforcement.

Actually, in a courtroom would the term not be the accused or the defendant?

I believe the legal use of the term suspect is invoked with law enforcement, usually involving matters of warrants, the reading of rights at specific point of questioning and/or detention by law enforcement.

You got me there. However, we're not the police or a court, and we're not bound by any legal terminology. We don't have to call him the "suspect" if all evidence points towards his guilt.

You got me there. However, we're not the police or a court, and we're not bound by any legal terminology. We don't have to call him the "suspect" if all evidence points towards his guilt.

I wasn't taking any issue with anyone calling him a suspect or not. I was merely picking the nits that were being harvested.

Nobody said anyone here had to refer to him as a suspect. ronandannette was wondering why the police were referring to him as a suspect and not the perpetrator.

Much like the Nashville shooter I think this is another tragedy that might have benefited from mental health treatment and intervention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter